Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

It would go like this; "...da se neprijatelj ne pokenja u naš wc."

Eh, thought it would somehow be slightly juicier, I've been amazed by how people can phrase these things before :D Also drkaču is a great pokemon nickname
Btw, as I've seen it multiple times in your posts and it slightly annoys me (*internal grammar nazi screeching*): if you borrow stuff from someone, that person lends you poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fututor Magnus posted:

Thank you, these are the important lessons I'm taking away here:

- if you abuse your anti-crazy meds a lot, they eventually won't make you crazy (much) when you continue to abuse them
- avoid painful physical dependence and withdrawal by consuming the month's worth of addictive meds in one sitting. either you'll come out of it without developing addiction and thus suffering no withdrawal, or you'll die and won't have to bother with that poo poo anyhow.

I really hate to agree with it as it'll seem like encouragement but in the benzo megathread most of the guys who binge and party dangerously on benzos actually long term (at least according to them) don't end up addicted and depressed massively like everyone who takes them nightly at the exact dose the doctor ordered

But again it's really just something to learn about the addictive nature of the drug, the insane tolerance from nightly use of even a low dose, but it still is not an advertisement that anyone should consider playing dice with their life, I especially am confused by it because all the benzo binge people go full black out with no memory or joy from it, but I imagine what happens is they take just half of an insane dose and then the remaining hour they're awake they convince themselves it'd be even more fun if they took the other half, thus wasting a month because they were in fearless addict passing out mode

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

I don't even know why I bother with benzos at this point because I can't be trusted around pills. Consequently, this would put me in weekend warrior mode. Same thing goes for tramadol.

Tramadol is loving frightening, Jesus Christ. I was prescribed it for sleep, the ones that can be split in half or into thirds--that poo poo was awful. 1/3 would leave me awake and pissed as hell I was awake; anything more, and I was left conscious but unable to move, and struggling to breathe sometimes. I knew you were made of stern stuff, but Christ.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Tramadol is loving frightening, Jesus Christ. I was prescribed it for sleep, the ones that can be split in half or into thirds--that poo poo was awful. 1/3 would leave me awake and pissed as hell I was awake; anything more, and I was left conscious but unable to move, and struggling to breathe sometimes. I knew you were made of stern stuff, but Christ.

I find it hard to believe that you were prescribed Tramadol, of all things, as a sleep aid - that stuff is great if you actually want to remain awake and get work done. And when you finally decide that it's time to retire to bed (possibly after a 58-hour-long tweaking session) you'll find yourself caught in the middle ground, not really sleeping/passed out but not being completely awake either, and sometimes startling the bajeezus out of you by starting to snore LOUDLY with your eyes wide open! I actually came to like these sort of things, but then again, I'm a junkie so take my words with a grain of salt. And whoever wrote you that script is a dumbass who doesn't know what they're doing.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Tramadol also causes the characteristic 'opiate brain fog' which manifests itself in months-long memory lapses. Last time this happened to me, oh, a couple of weeks ago, I apparently did something that ultimately resulted in large rags of skin blistering and peeling off from the soles of my feet and I have absolutely no idea what happened. Well, considering the dire state of my mind back then, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I threw my arms up in the air and said gently caress I HAVE NO MONEY FOR THE BUS FARE SO I THINK ILL JUST WALK TO PORTUGAL AND I FORGOT MY SHOES AT HOME BUT ITS OKAY. Feels itchy man. :ughh:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Are you sure it wasn't trazodone? That's often prescribed for sleep (and the tablets can be scored that way, which I don't think is super common?). I took it at one point, and it was so sedating that I could barely walk during the day. Awful. I'd actually been prescribed it on top of the maximum dose of lunesta (ambien's cousin) and a nightly dose of klonopin, so maybe I was lucky I was still waking up at all.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I threw my arms up in the air and said gently caress I HAVE NO MONEY FOR THE BUS FARE SO I THINK ILL JUST WALK TO PORTUGAL AND I FORGOT MY SHOES AT HOME BUT ITS OKAY. Feels itchy man. :ughh:

It's this kind of self-awareness from ASFB that keeps me hooked on reading this thread.

Just don't ever stop.

Write a diary, 1 page a day, when you're up around 150-200 pages sell that poo poo like Hunter S Thompson and become a Croatian Sensation!

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I think your package should be arriving soon. I hope it clears customs. My memory is coming back to me. Check all of the contents carefully. I... put drugs in there. I hope you don't get sent to a gulag or anything.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Millow posted:

I think your package should be arriving soon. I hope it clears customs. My memory is coming back to me. Check all of the contents carefully. I... put drugs in there. I hope you don't get sent to a gulag or anything.

Eh I thinking you're giving the Post too much credit - the parcel is probably stewing in a hangar in UK right now and I won't expect it to arrive for at least another month. And then there's the customs people, and Croatian post has to do its traditional thing too - which is "running the parcel over with a farm tractor." Back in 2012, they trolled me out of roughly $200 by trashing a brand new desktop computer I sent to Osijek - I'm not sure what the hell happened, but they handled the computer in such a way that the CPU ended up being ripped out of its socket and crushed by the heatsink. I of course complained, and they blew me off by telling me to take them to court (PROTIP: suing Croatian Post is like suing Stalin, and the fuckers are well aware of this.)

The only problem I see arising is the customs people telling me to pay the customs tax, which can happen if you're shipping something of commercial value. I have roughly $6 on myself right now.

Hope it's something :wtc: of no commercial value that I can write about! Last time I got a foreign parcel was back in 2000 and I didn't have to pay anything. The package arrived from Moscow, Russia and it was chock full of bizarre 1970s Soviet electronics, basically things that have no commercial value at all yet make your average nerd's pants feel uncomfortably tight. :)

I of course won't complain if there just happen to be some exotic pills in there. ;)

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

No pills (I don't think) but I just wrote on the customs slip "Canadian souvenirs" and declared the value as $20 so hopefully you shouldn't have any problems. They told me at the post office it would take three weeks so we'll see.

Also looking at the slip, I wrote "Croatio" instead of Croatia for the country but I'm sure they'll get it.

Millow fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Millow posted:

No pills (I don't think) but I just wrote on the customs slip "Canadian souvenirs" and declared the value as $20 so hopefully you shouldn't have any problems. They told me at the post office it would take three weeks so we'll see.

Also looking at the slip, I wrote "Croatio" instead of Croatia for the country but I'm sure they'll get it.

Some Croation is going to be very confused when they suddenly get a package with drugs in it from Canado.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Millow posted:

hey can you mail me some drugs too

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

you were warned posted:

Are you sure it wasn't trazodone? That's often prescribed for sleep (and the tablets can be scored that way, which I don't think is super common?). I took it at one point, and it was so sedating that I could barely walk during the day. Awful. I'd actually been prescribed it on top of the maximum dose of lunesta (ambien's cousin) and a nightly dose of klonopin, so maybe I was lucky I was still waking up at all.

That's it's, that's the one. Ha, that's a little embarrassing. Yeah, trazadone was a little rough, and I cannot imagine taking it with lunesta and klonopin.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Here's an idea; how about I film myself with a webcam the next time I part with my mind under the influence of Biperiden? I seem to default to speaking in English while under, and this is the reason I actually realized I was high as gently caress the last time I did it - well, it wasn't because I was talking to myself, it was because I was talking to myself.... in English and that seemed kinda off. :)

Someone will have to trudge through ~15 hours of really lovely and grainy footage to condense the best parts to be put up on Youtube. I don't know what to think about the whole idea; what could possibly go wrong? :D

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I enjoy reading your stories, but please don't film yourself overdosing for the passing amusement of internet strangers.

Maybe go and take some photos of communist architecture, or have a conversation with an old man in a park and tell us about it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TitanG posted:

Btw, as I've seen it multiple times in your posts and it slightly annoys me (*internal grammar nazi screeching*): if you borrow stuff from someone, that person lends you poo poo.

English is pretty weird in having separate words for that, yeah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Lead out in cuffs posted:

English is pretty weird in having separate words for that, yeah.

If you're a prescriptivist then yeah it's borrow and lend, but it really depends on what region you're from. Lots of native English speakers will say, "He borrowed it to me," to the ire of their grammar teachers, but because it's native English speakers saying it and native speakers understanding it, it's technically correct if you believe in descriptivism. Likewise, it's not uncommon to hear people say, "I itched the mosquito bite," when other people would say "scratch". It just depends on where you're from.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Itch" instead of "scratch" is like one of those things kids on the schoolyard say, and almost universally grow out of. Or so I like to believe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Spoken like a man who went to college and was told to stick to a certain type of speech to avoid sounding "uneducated".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or at least someone who spent his schoolyard years fuming about how incorrect everyone else was being, and didn't mellow out until way too late in life :v:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Millow posted:

Tracking info tells me that the package arrived in Zagreb today! It's currently stewing at the central post office, and it will most likely be delivered to me on Monday. By some miracle, 20th February is my birthday. Even if you deliberately timed when to send out the parcel, you probably wouldn't strike the bullseye - my birthday. :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Enjoy your P-P-P-Pills

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
tell us what's in it before you eat it

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Tracking info tells me that the package arrived in Zagreb today! It's currently stewing at the central post office, and it will most likely be delivered to me on Monday. By some miracle, 20th February is my birthday. Even if you deliberately timed when to send out the parcel, you probably wouldn't strike the bullseye - my birthday. :)

Nice buddy. At this point I've pretty much totally forgot what I put in there, but lets just be hopeful it clears customs. I do remember that I put a few cans of some Canadian brews in there, hopefully they didn't bust open. Looking back on it I probably should have wrote "FRAGILE" on the box but etizolam, etc. I declared the value as $20 Canadian dollars, I hope you don't get hit with any kind of duty/customs taxes.

edit: Happy birthday buddy! Hope you get it on Monday.

Millow fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 18, 2017

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
Just a question for ASF: Are there some good (and somewhat cheap) restaurants in Zagreb? I'm thinking to visit it this March (I'll be meeting up with someone as well) for 2-3 days.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TearsOfPirates posted:

Just a question for ASF: Are there some good (and somewhat cheap) restaurants in Zagreb? I'm thinking to visit it this March (I'll be meeting up with someone as well) for 2-3 days.

I'm not ASF, but I live there and used to eat out frequently.

Probably my favourite place to eat in Zagreb is Mundoaka but it's not really cheap, and it can be really crowded inside. However, if you can find a spot outside on the terrace, food is amazing.
Vještica is good, and very affordable. Great location in upper town.
Bracera, near the cathedral, has excellent food for decent prices during early afternoon.
Rougemarin also ain't cheap and a bit outside of the town center, but food is really good.

We are in the middle of gastronomic renaissance so you can really find good food pretty much everywhere. If you want something more specific, just ask here or PM me.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Gervasius posted:

I'm not ASF, but I live there and used to eat out frequently.

This guy knows what he's talking about. As far as I'm concerned, "dining out" means "pigging out on soggy waffles at a gas station at 3 in the morning." Haven't been to a real restaurant in 15+ years, and buying pastries at kiosks doesn't really count.

It was my birthday yesterday, and things were business as usual: dumpster diving early in the morning, and seeing the kind of people you'd expect to meet at a bus station at half past two in the morning: an utterly wasted muslim, clinging to a lamp post so he wouldn't flop over, loudly decrying homosexuality as a crime against Islam, then a woman of dubious sanity screaming obscenities at enemy trashcans, and a wild-eyed hobo who crafted himself makeshift shoes out of plastic shopping bags. Basically my family. :)

...and the parcel arrived today, completely intact! :)

I was completely floored. Not only did you send me cigs, but you also got me some money, and a mystery in the little aluminum bag :D which I didn't really notice until I read your letter (initially thought it was silica gel or something.) Mr. Weed and I are gonna try it out later today, it's gonna be one helluva party. :)
The format of those newspapers is completely alien to me - croatian newspapers aren't that...... lanky. I'm friends with a lady who works on a kiosk, selling newspapers, can't wait to show these newspapers to her! She is also interested in the beer - the cans are currently cooling in my 1971 refrigerator. :)
I love the ballcap - especially as I'm the sort of person who doesn't go out without a cap or a hat, particularly because pigeons and other birds seem to hate my guts for some incomprehensible reason and I have to wear hats as a protection against poop bombs. Now I can finally retire my old army camo ballcap I have had since 2002; the drat thing looks like it's been through a wood chipper but now I've got me a new ballcap. :)

Imma cook up that rice one of these days. Funny thing, I got two large chicken drumsticks from Granny for birthday, and the boxes say that I need to add some meat - i think chicken will work pretty well with this. Another thing, it's amazing how your priorities change as you get older: kids are all about toys and expensive electronics and all that poo poo, but I was actually thrilled I got MEAT for my birthday. :)

I won't ramble for too long right now, gonna read the newspapers. I skimmed through a few pages and there was an article on ciggy bumming - I know you were high at the time you bought this but holy poo poo haha :D

Also, I took some pictures of nasty commie architecture the other day, I'll be posting them soon. :)

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

oooooooo a red racer! that's one of my favourites!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ooo I can't speak for the rest of the beers but the red racer IPA is a super well regarded one, has won lots of awards here.

Save that one for the start of an evening, go into it totally straight or just weed.

And really Canada goon, you sent him a copy of the Glob? I'd think we could do a little better for cultural exchange.

The rest of the package seems pretty great though!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

I love the ballcap - especially as I'm the sort of person who doesn't go out without a cap or a hat, particularly because pigeons and other birds seem to hate my guts for some incomprehensible reason and I have to wear hats as a protection against poop bombs

Imma cook up that rice one of these days. Funny thing, I got two large chicken drumsticks from Granny for birthday, and the boxes say that I need to add some meat - i think chicken will work pretty well with this. Another thing, it's amazing how your priorities change as you get older: kids are all about toys and expensive electronics and all that poo poo, but I was actually thrilled I got MEAT for my birthday. :)

Also, I took some pictures of nasty commie architecture the other day, I'll be posting them soon. :)

Happy belated birthday ASFB, I gotta admit as a proud American USA #1 the idea of a man in Croatia wearing a brand new Canadian hat to bounce bird turds off fills me with joy, that was a whole bunch of cool stuff Millow

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Happy it arrived all intact man. Honestly I think I just used the newspapers to fill the box instead of buying bubble-wrap or whatever, but I can't remember my motivation at this time. Enjoy :)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

oooooooo a red racer! that's one of my favourites!

Yep, first thing I noticed. It's good stuff!

Happy belated birthday ASFB!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Ooo I can't speak for the rest of the beers but the red racer IPA is a super well regarded one, has won lots of awards here.

Yes! Mr. W and I tried out all the beers over the course of two evenings and Red Racer was absolutely amazing, but it was the Canuck that blew off our socks! Prolly one of the best beers I've ever had, and now we're looking to score more exotic beers because hey, looks like we've got ourselves a new hobby. :) There is a small chain of liquor stores in Zagreb called vrutak, and they carry all kinds of imported craft beers, mr. Weed and I are definitely buying more! Thank you Millow, you rock man! :)

By the way, I think I neglected to inform you guys that I've recently had tumor markers done and that it's all clear, I'm perfectly healthy - this fortunately isn't news anymore and that's cool. :)

I racked up 998 kilometers on my bike over the late fall and then winter. Today it's been warm but quite windy, my winter parka turned into a sail of sorts and I got a free ride to my GP who has an office 6 kilometers away from the Roach Tower. I also bought three bus tickets as I'm going to the hospital again in the morning to get myself on the waiting list for the MRI, and I'm making a detour to granny's on the way home. See, the bad thing about Croatian healthcare is that the hospitals are under-equipped and short on manpower. The whole system is held together by the enthusiasm of the workers. Waiting lists in particular are very long, sure you're getting a free MRI but unless it's mega-urgent, expect to wait at least six months for your turn.

Why is life suddenly so good? I have only one lawsuit over my head right now (that's below my average) and I'm only like $30 in debt. :)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yes! Mr. W and I tried out all the beers over the course of two evenings and Red Racer was absolutely amazing, but it was the Canuck that blew off our socks! Prolly one of the best beers I've ever had, and now we're looking to score more exotic beers because hey, looks like we've got ourselves a new hobby. :) There is a small chain of liquor stores in Zagreb called vrutak, and they carry all kinds of imported craft beers, mr. Weed and I are definitely buying more! Thank you Millow, you rock man! :)

By the way, I think I neglected to inform you guys that I've recently had tumor markers done and that it's all clear, I'm perfectly healthy - this fortunately isn't news anymore and that's cool. :)

I racked up 998 kilometers on my bike over the late fall and then winter. Today it's been warm but quite windy, my winter parka turned into a sail of sorts and I got a free ride to my GP who has an office 6 kilometers away from the Roach Tower. I also bought three bus tickets as I'm going to the hospital again in the morning to get myself on the waiting list for the MRI, and I'm making a detour to granny's on the way home. See, the bad thing about Croatian healthcare is that the hospitals are under-equipped and short on manpower. The whole system is held together by the enthusiasm of the workers. Waiting lists in particular are very long, sure you're getting a free MRI but unless it's mega-urgent, expect to wait at least six months for your turn.

Why is life suddenly so good? I have only one lawsuit over my head right now (that's below my average) and I'm only like $30 in debt. :)

Oh god Millow what have you started?

But yay to the biking!

Also, the same is true for MRIs in Canada. If it's critical (eg head injury presenting at the ER), you'll get it straight away. If it's, say, for chronic knee pain, then yeah you'll wait, probably for months.

(At least it's better than the US, where I imagine it's more of "Oh you need an MRI? We'll need some credit details first...")

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh god Millow what have you started?

But yay to the biking!

Also, the same is true for MRIs in Canada. If it's critical (eg head injury presenting at the ER), you'll get it straight away. If it's, say, for chronic knee pain, then yeah you'll wait, probably for months.

(At least it's better than the US, where I imagine it's more of "Oh you need an MRI? We'll need some credit details first...")

No, in the US they start your treatment in the ER and they wait to talk about money. How long they wait depends on what kind of procedure you're getting. But if I remember correctly it's illegal for US hospitals to deny treatment to people.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

No, in the US they start your treatment in the ER and they wait to talk about money. How long they wait depends on what kind of procedure you're getting. But if I remember correctly it's illegal for US hospitals to deny treatment to people.

Yes, they have to treat you. The problem is health care is so expensive that people don't look into or can't afford cheaper (and more successful) preventative medicine and wait until their condition is an emergency. Then they have to get treated and they have to get billed (and for a lot more). Then the hospitals have to pay tons of lawyers etc to hunt these people down for money these patients will never have and then pass the bill onto you! :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I had an MRI and an MRA recently; not only did they have to pre-authorize them with the insurance company, but I'm also $780 out of pocket after their contribution. grr

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Shadow0 posted:

Yes, they have to treat you. The problem is health care is so expensive that people don't look into or can't afford cheaper (and more successful) preventative medicine and wait until their condition is an emergency. Then they have to get treated and they have to get billed (and for a lot more). Then the hospitals have to pay tons of lawyers etc to hunt these people down for money these patients will never have and then pass the bill onto you! :D

It depends on where you are, what conditions you have, and how good your finances are. I have Type 1 diabetes and paying for 2 types of insulin, blood sugar test strips, lancets, syringes, etc isn't really a problem because I have that money budgeted and set aside. If I had a different medical condition things would be different and would require different solutions.

Basically there is no one single cause or solution. If you have a problem meeting your medical requirements than that needs individual mediation, not a long series of ER visits that only cost you more money than preventative treatment in the first place.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Efexeye posted:

I had an MRI and an MRA recently; not only did they have to pre-authorize them with the insurance company, but I'm also $780 out of pocket after their contribution. grr

When my oncologist wanted to see if my cancer had spread to my brain on a few occasions, she ordered brain MRIs. My insurance said NO, not unless a CT has proven inconclusive first! Even though the MRIs are more accurate and don't expose you to any radiation. So I got some nice unnecessary doses of radiation right in the brain.

Also, one time she ordered a PET scan and my insurance pre-authorized it... and then after I had it done, they sent me a letter saying "oops, now we've decided this was medically unnecessary, so unfortunately we won't cover it" (as if it were somehow sadly out of their control). Those cost like $5000. I called the PET office in a panic, and they said "oh, we deal with this all the time... we'll talk to them." I never got a bill, so I guess they worked it out.

Congrats on the clean bill of health, ASF! :D Always nice to have that confirmed again, even if it's not news at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
American hospitals are also keen to get some money instead of none and would prefer not hounding people with lawyers. If you call up their finance department they're usually happy to work out a deal based on your budget and they'll take even token installments so long as they're getting something. Not that I'm saying this is a good thing, but it's better than having your credit destroyed.