Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which means -1/-1 counters are done because they make too many feelbads and making your monster grow feels good

I thought it was mostly because -1/-1 counters stop mattering as soon as you try and put more than the toughness down, whereas +1/+1 counters stop mattering at about like 5ish? however many you need before the creature is Real Big so there's just a larger variety of things you can do with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this is the stupidest loving deck I've ever seen a video series but also it's hilarious and great

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am bummed out that it's not possible to cast a chain of all five Expertise cards. You can only go up to four because two of them have the same converted mana cost.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
CFB does great legit video content and then also does good "fun" content too

Jacob Wilson did a good troll deck video where he played a deck with a legit main board but the side board had stuff like Tibalt and hidetsugu's second rite in it.

Another great series Caleb did was the Grudge Match series. He played one against Craig Wescoe facing off in standard and then modern but Caleb specially adjusted his modern deck to have pro white creatures and flash fires (I believe he kept saying that they were the best tech in the mono-Wescoe meta game)

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Caleb is a good man

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

"This is an embarrassing way to win a match"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'd love to know why that deck is called "Cheerios," because it makes no sense to me.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

I'd love to know why that deck is called "Cheerios," because it makes no sense to me.

All those spells that cost zero mana looks like they have a Cheerio in the upper corner.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

1) people used to name combo decks after breakfast foods (typically cereals) for god knows what reason. (cf fruity/cocoa pebbles, trix, life, full english breakfast...)
2) punning on the fact that the deck is mostly a bunch of 0s

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It only has twelve 0s, it's not cheerios. Also it's a hilarious but terrible deck that could go in one of three different directions to get way better.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shortest Path posted:

It only has twelve 0s, it's not cheerios. Also it's a hilarious but terrible deck that could go in one of three different directions to get way better.

The original modern version has twice as much.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Right, real cheerios. This weird kuldotha red hybrid is not cheerios.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
How viable of a deck is Skred Red right now? I've been looking into it but it seems heavily meta dependent.

I've also been looking at Dredge but I'm unsure if the recent bans hit it too hard.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

moush posted:

How viable of a deck is Skred Red right now? I've been looking into it but it seems heavily meta dependent.

I've also been looking at Dredge but I'm unsure if the recent bans hit it too hard.

It won a GP and has promptly done absolutely gently caress all

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does the Cowardice bug on MODO still work and did anyone ever confirm if it's because the card has 'dice' in its name? I want to know so bad. I'm enthralled by the possibilities of just how terrible MTGO's code might really be.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

moush posted:

Skred is viable but very much not a top tier deck. It's very good against most aggro and the fair midrange decks, but has a lot of unwinnable matchups. It's fine if you're playing for fun but there's probably better things if you want to be competitive or whatever.

I've been told by dredge players that the deck is still good, just a little less consistent now. I've never seen the golgari thug version myself though so I'm not 100% sure on that.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Slice and dice is used in vintage so it isn't that I'd think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

moush posted:

The owner of my LGS runs it and seems to have a good time, I think it would be good if you have a lot of three-color decks at your store and can consistently hit turn 2 Blood Moon. I think the deck is fairly cheap outside of the Moons too (and depending on the walkers you want to use), if that's a factor for you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Another week that new lily has barely fallen in price despite seeing little to no standard play. Even flamecaller is starting to fall. Magic pricing doesn't ever conform to reality.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

Another week that new lily has barely fallen in price despite seeing little to no standard play. Even flamecaller is starting to fall. Magic pricing doesn't ever conform to reality.

She'll probably hold her price until right before rotation when people scurry to sell her before she drops. Just #mtgfinance things.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Could be people speculating on the new set having a graveyard theme.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DangerDongs posted:

Could be people speculating on the new set having a graveyard theme.

I'd hope the Egypt Mythology set is graveyard themed.

Granted the Greek set was supposed to be enchantment themed, so..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Print chariots so we can have back to back :rice: sets.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm not up to par on my ancient Egypt knowledge but why would it be GY themed?

I know they mummified people/cats but is Egypt known for people coming back from the dead? I don't remember learning any of that

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah because that's what Standard needs, more graveyard interaction.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

These are the themes I want.

Duress themes
Lightening Strike themes
Shatter themes
Naturalize themes
Tormod's Crypt themes
Heroes Downfall themes

I am a simple man with simple tastes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'm not up to par on my ancient Egypt knowledge but why would it be GY themed?

I know they mummified people/cats but is Egypt known for people coming back from the dead? I don't remember learning any of that

Their entire culture was largely based on dying and the afterlife. They had like 4 gods that governed the entire process.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Duress themes
Lightening Strike themes
Shatter themes
Naturalize themes
Tormod's Crypt themes
Heroes Downfall themes

All of these fit a :rice: chariot themed set so I'm also down for this.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Hand disruption makes casuals feel bad. I'm surprised they still even print cards like that while things like lighting bolt that appeal to casuals but they'll never print.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Their entire culture was largely based on dying and the afterlife. They had like 4 gods that governed the entire process.

Yea it was a dominant idea in their mythology and extended to how they thought about their kings and the flooding of the Nile. Cycles of life, death, and rebirth are everywhere. It'd be wrong to have an Egyptian set without these themes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Duress themes
Lightening Strike themes
Shatter themes
Naturalize themes
Tormod's Crypt themes
Heroes Downfall themes

Naturalize and Shatter would see marginal play if any.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Naturalize and Shatter would see marginal play if any.

While that might be true to a degree, not having these basic tools around is pretty embarrassing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

While that might be true to a degree, not having these basic tools around is pretty embarrassing.

You have fine options for those slots in standard. Natural State, Fragmentize, Appetite for the Unnatural, I agree with you about the other cards you mentioned though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You have fine options for those slots in standard. Natural State, Fragmentize, Appetite for the Unnatural, I agree with you about the other cards you mentioned though.

Appetite for the Unnatural is loving garbo. Natural state is the best of the 3 and there is plenty it doesn't hit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Appetite for the Unnatural is loving garbo. Natural state is the best of the 3 and there is plenty it doesn't hit.

Appetite is fine for what it is. You can fit 1 in most SB's and it does the job. I think Fragmentize is better than Natural State just because it kills Marvel.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yea it was a dominant idea in their mythology and extended to how they thought about their kings and the flooding of the Nile. Cycles of life, death, and rebirth are everywhere. It'd be wrong to have an Egyptian set without these themes.

We are for sure getting the vengeful pharaoh reprint that nobody asked for, but we are in no way getting any creatures with mummy as a type :(

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Natural obsolescence doesn't hit enchantments but it does get rid of scrapheap scrounger for good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It ain't getting reprinted, but would Thoughtseize be good or bad for the format?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Rinkles posted:

It ain't getting reprinted, but would Thoughtseize be good or bad for the format?

Would probably just make Mardu Vehicles that much better. Thoughtsieze is a fine card to have around imo usually, it just got printed at the worst time to get it back in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It would be balanced as long as good burn spells were reprinted. In modern the 2 damage is extremely relevant and as long as its relevant in standard the card is fine.

• Locked thread