Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
We just rearranged seats and I just discovered something wonderful.

For the last 30 minutes of my shift there is NOT A SINGLE PERSON around me for 4 rows of cubes in all directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I apologize to whichever one of you Verizon goons my co-worker is giving the business to. It's amazing how being on the phone turns nice, gentle people into raving loons.

I think it is more the "we've tried every NON-phone support avenue, then we get on hold, THEN we get ads for a service that isn't working properly..." thing.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i've been in the same password reset call with a guy for half an hour now. please deliver me from this hell

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Fluffdaddy posted:

I work from home for a call center and I love it. I keep my stats good and I can mill about my home and hug my dog while I wait for calls.

I transferred to a work-from-home position in the last three months before I quit my call center gig. It was so much easier to stay at home in comfy clothes, to not have to share a bathroom or fridge, to not deal with bitter co-workers, to be able to read and work on my own projects between calls, browse dumb websites on my personal laptop, etc.

I didn't have an extra room in my apartment so I just put my work stuff in a corner of my bedroom. I did have a little bit more cabin fever because it was very easy to just stay in my house/room all day if I didn't make an effort to hang out at a cafe after work.

It was significantly easier on my mental health, even accounting for having to take a schedule with split days off.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've been working from home for over a year, you gotta have SOME semblance of discipline and/or enough knowledge to game the system/stats. But push come to shove, I'll buckle down and be a perfect good boy because I don't know how I'd ever work in an office again after this.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tojai posted:

Yeah I was most concerned about our stats. Just looked a few things over and it doesn't look too bad - there's not a lot of quotes we really need to meet. The only hard number I see is that our available time (not aux/after call work/etc) is supposed to be at least 85% but that seems pretty doable, especially since I already know the job and the systems.

Do you have a separate office area you use just for work? I would love to chill with my dogs but I don't know how much down time we'll be seeing between calls.

My office is in my room, but I take an hour lunch and I get out a lot.

As long as you are on top of your calls and keep your stats, you can do whatever you like.

We do have a VPN we have to log into, so I keep my browsing down to a minimum, or just use another pc or tablet.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Same for us so I'll be using a laptop for any personal stuff. We have a 30 min lunch and 2 20 min breaks, I wish we could just have a straight 60 minutes off the phone but not going to complain either.

My drive to the office is 45 minutes each way so getting that time back is probably going to be the best part, might make going back to the phones worth it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

2 weeks in on taking calls, and i just had a threat to sue because we have no way of getting in touch with our fraud department

e:gently caress fraud calls and gently caress companies that outsource the consumer service because now we can't even get in touch with the fraud team and mother gently caress why is that even allowed

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 27, 2016

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PenguinKnight posted:

2 weeks in on taking calls, and i just had a threat to sue because we have no way of getting in touch with our fraud department

e:gently caress fraud calls and gently caress companies that outsource the consumer service because now we can't even get in touch with the fraud team and mother gently caress why is that even allowed

Presumably because the fraud team is properly trained to minimize loss and they don't want anyone else saying the wrong thing and costing the company money. There be scammers out there.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i realize that that's an issue, but us just being able to say "please tell us these faxed forms aren't just going to an empty warehouse and eyeballs are on them" would help out with consumer relations a whole lot

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I love when customers threaten to sue. It reminds me of that scene in the simpsons where the wall gets removed from the court and out pops 15 lawyers for burns(this representing the company they are going to sue).

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Why did I volunteer for UK payment shifts. It's 1am. I'm ON MY WAY TO WORK.

I did learn that most people in the UK get paid on either the last Friday or the last day of the month so I guess that makes the rest of the month pretty easy.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

FSA's are:

1) an idiot trap

2) complete and utter hell to describe to to use to said morons

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

FSA's are:

1) an idiot trap

2) complete and utter hell to describe to to use to said morons

How so? Type 1 diabetic here and I get one for 1000 dollars cause that's my deductible. Once I hit it using that pre tax money they do a 80/20 split on my pump supplies for the remainder of the year.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

How so? Type 1 diabetic here and I get one for 1000 dollars cause that's my deductible. Once I hit it using that pre tax money they do a 80/20 split on my pump supplies for the remainder of the year.

They're frustrating to deal with just because of the entire receipt thing. I'm not sure if your own one are as strict as the ones we manage, but having to explain 8 times each about why a receipt is needed and why the one sent in isn't good enough is frustrating as hell and is slowly draining me

I was being overdramatic last night with the idiot trap thing. I was in a call for 30 minutes explaining why the receipts that were sent in weren't good enough, and why we even needed them in the first place, right after getting out of another FSA call.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

They're frustrating to deal with just because of the entire receipt thing. I'm not sure if your own one are as strict as the ones we manage, but having to explain 8 times each about why a receipt is needed and why the one sent in isn't good enough is frustrating as hell and is slowly draining me

I was being overdramatic last night with the idiot trap thing. I was in a call for 30 minutes explaining why the receipts that were sent in weren't good enough, and why we even needed them in the first place, right after getting out of another FSA call.

Mines with wage works. I had to send one in when I ordered off of amazon some test strips because it was listing the place I bought from as a book store. Emailed them a PDF and I was good to go. Haven't had any issues with mine so far. Knock on wood. Can definitely sympathize with ya though. Just wasn't sure if you said that because there's a better way to do it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah your provider/handler is way easier to deal with than how we're set up to handle employer's FSAs. I doubt we'd even allow the pdf afterwards.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

There is nothing worse than coming back to work from a holiday and everything being (metaphorically) on fire. Call trackers don't work, the network drive that has forms is down, we can't create tickets to various teams for FSA claims to review submitted things.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone in here works at the Geico office in Tucson, AZ? I basically need a job that would work around schooling and they seem like they pay decently and have afternoon/night shifts. I have never worked in a call center before (oh god) but I'm coming off of having cancer and basically need a job. Anyone have any experience/advice here?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I know it's not what you asked for, but Citi has a call center in Tucson. I can't answer site specific stuff but if you general questions about Citi call centers PM me.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Welp. Just got fired for "substandard performance" from my current job. Thus ends.... 7 years of continuous full time call center employment.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

Welp. Just got fired for "substandard performance" from my current job. Thus ends.... 7 years of continuous full time call center employment.

CONGRATS! Do not go back! And yes that picture is exactly what it feels like right after. Do you have a good quitting story? Did you tell them to go gently caress themselves or anything like that?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

lol just got spoken to because i didn't take any "optional" overtime for this month. get hosed my time is my time hire more people

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
No, no fun drama, sadly. I kinda needed this gig, but I'm also beyond loving relieved it's over, or at least I will be if my unemployment gets approved.

The last year of my life was really crazy, I dealt with a lot of health issues, and personal issues (relationship drama, almost being homeless, depression, etc), and I had a period of time where I.... just.... ignored the incoming calls for stretches of time while I cried in bed or distracted myself.

They eventually found these calls and put me on a final warning, then after 30 days when I didn't turn into an exemplary employee poo poo canned me (I think the final warning was just a courtesy).

I've been courteous and playing ball because I don't want to jeopardize my UB claim. Once that's secure though, I dunno. I have a LOT of dirt on this company and their practices (I basically BCC'd my personal e-mail on any internal e-mails that i felt were kompromat and I was being forced to act in bad faith) , and their systems are ridiculously shoddy, but I'll forget all that as long as they don't try to block my UB claim.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They documented you giving them cause (which is what the 30 days was about), then fired you for cause. I'm not saying they 100% will block your application, but neither of those are things that generally bode well for an unemployment insurance claim.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Well, the behavior they gave me final warning for vanished when they wrote me up for it, they just cited some other general metric related poo poo today. We'll see.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

They documented you giving them cause (which is what the 30 days was about), then fired you for cause. I'm not saying they 100% will block your application, but neither of those are things that generally bode well for an unemployment insurance claim.

Arizona here and I got unemployment just fine when I was fired for cause and had documentation to prove it. This was 2010 though. I think you have to do some heinous poo poo to get denied.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress the dumbass superbowl and this dumbass company for blocking any kind of time off the day afterward. i've got a tooth that needs to be pulled and it's driving me insane and then i've had to move the appointment back because of open enrollment and now because of the superbowl :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PenguinKnight posted:

gently caress the dumbass superbowl and this dumbass company for blocking any kind of time off the day afterward. i've got a tooth that needs to be pulled and it's driving me insane and then i've had to move the appointment back because of open enrollment and now because of the superbowl :(

Man, that's bullshit. Penguin, if you're injured or otherwise saddled down with a condition that keeps you from properly doing your job, they should be smart enough to lay off you to allow you to heal / go to the doc regardless if the “Big Game” is coming or not.

I've been following the thread for a while now (around 2 years and a half) and while lurking, I started to realize:
  • How loving lucky I was to get out of the call center “game” relatively quick.
  • That despite getting paid way less than most of you guys, my bosses never objected to laying off my back when I was actually injured / needed to get medical attention.
Worked at 2 Call Centers here in Monterrey (México) from 2011 'til mid 2014. Was only on phones for a little over a year, so when the chance to become an On-Site IT allowed me to have better hours, I jumped at the chance. I used to get a bit bent out of shape due to the number of computers and headsets that got destroyed on floor, but after reading some of the horror stories here (and hearing from some of my former co-workers + the guys I did IT for), I can sympathize with you guys.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

IDK if it's bad taste to toxx in this regard but GoDaddy? If so GOOD LUCK. Worked their 5 years and the day after super bowl is their holy grail for the year.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

IDK if it's bad taste to toxx in this regard but GoDaddy? If so GOOD LUCK. Worked their 5 years and the day after super bowl is their holy grail for the year.

nope! just a HSA/FSA company

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

At a call center I worked at, they hooked the cable up to a projector and just ran the Superbowl on a wall...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Samizdata posted:

At a call center I worked at, they hooked the cable up to a projector and just ran the Superbowl on a wall...

there's absolutely no issue with getting the superbowl watched. it's just that they day afterward, they are blocking all time off for call center people, even if it's for medical reasons

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 30, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

there's absolutely no issue with getting the superbowl watched. it's just that they day afterward, they are blocking all time off for call center people, even if it's for medical reasons

They never did that either. (I worked in Resource Planning, but started on the call floor.)

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

PenguinKnight posted:

Is the day after the Super Bowl an unusually busy day in the world of health insurance savings accounts, or are they just being bitches to be bitches? Rhetorical question. I know the answer.

Also, LOL if you think the Super Bowl is SO important nobody's going to show up to work the day after. The few people who are that obsessed or drunk ask for the time off in advance.

Unless you're in Boston or Atlanta, in which case you need to be more concerned about the victory parade day anyway.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

holy gently caress people are gigantic pissbabies about passwords. we need to have them changed twice a year, which you'd think be really lax for a thing that has money in it.

nope. people go loving ballistic, and i hate everything a little bit more

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PenguinKnight posted:

holy gently caress people are gigantic pissbabies about passwords. we need to have them changed twice a year, which you'd think be really lax for a thing that has money in it.

nope. people go loving ballistic, and i hate everything a little bit more
Forced password changes are great for making GBS threads up security because it leads to people reusing passwords from other sites, writing them down on sticky notes, emailing them to themselves, etc.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Companies that make you change your password that much are literally hitler and the worst. The only thing it accomplishes is forces people to reuse passwords constantly and write it down or put it in unsafe places because they can't keep up with their hundreds of passwords that various services decide they have to arbitrarily change X times a year. Don't defend that poo poo.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Companies that make you change your password that much are literally hitler and the worst. The only thing it accomplishes is forces people to reuse passwords constantly and write it down or put it in unsafe places because they can't keep up with their hundreds of passwords that various services decide they have to arbitrarily change X times a year. Don't defend that poo poo.

Any corporate environment(that is smart and actually cares about security) is going to make you change your password every 90 days and not be allowed to re-use the same password for the past year. :shrug: Nobody has 100's of passwords for services at their job and if they do they are probably smart enough to either remember it or have a password manager app. The OP probably has people calling in who use one password for everything and then they cry they have to change it twice a year. And they would also make their password "Sam" where sam is their kids name or some other stupidly easy to guess password.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Holyshoot posted:

Any corporate environment(that is smart and actually cares about security) is going to make you change your password every 90 days and not be allowed to re-use the same password for the past year. :shrug: Nobody has 100's of passwords for services at their job and if they do they are probably smart enough to either remember it or have a password manager app. The OP probably has people calling in who use one password for everything and then they cry they have to change it twice a year. And they would also make their password "Sam" where sam is their kids name or some other stupidly easy to guess password.
You are very wrong and very behind on security best practices.