Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Holy hell.

I want to believe this game will be good, but Bioware is actively trying to disabuse me of that notion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Is it possible this is just some weird angle/fisheye lens thing going on here? He looks fine in this in-game shot

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Big eyes? Large heads? Waifus?

Andromeda is anime.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It looks like he's on his tiptoes thrusting his chest out for some reason, so I'll say angle with bad hair.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

It looks like he's on his tiptoes thrusting his chest out for some reason, so I'll say angle with bad hair.

I think the lighting in the character kit is also giving the hair a plastic look

Edit:

Okay so it is a lighting issue with the character kit. Sara already looks a lot better with the shaders
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 8, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/829141334925705216

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sarah (gently caress their fancy spelling) still looks like she should be in school or maybe undergrad, not leading an intergalactic expedition.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Sarah (gently caress their fancy spelling) still looks like she should be in school or maybe undergrad, not leading an intergalactic expedition.

She is 22, so you're not entirely wrong

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, Steven Bewis and Jayde Rossi. Scott has been looking alright and is pretty close in the game footage. On the other hand, Jayde is very good looking and it hasn't translated to Sara at all.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4264005/ is supposed to be Sara?

:perfect:

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I mean Miranda was extremely hosed up looking despite being based on a pretty actress lady so this isn't really new territory for bioware

Miranda wasn't actually that bad, and easily recognizable if you saw her actress, though? Reporter lady in ME3 would be a better comparison.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

How is dropping the h "fancy?" :confused:

To be clear, anytime her name has been written with an h it's been a typo. Yes, even in the Andromeda Initiative briefings about meeting the team. The writer was shaking his fist about it on twitter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crabtree posted:

Wait, they're based on real people? How did they gently caress up this badly?

Miranda was too, so

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kavak posted:

That's exactly the issue. His feet aren't planted so you can't tell if it's proportions or the fact that he's secretly a ballerina.

They call him.... Ryderina.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Those character kits are literally just for people to be able to make cosplay costumes or fanart. The models will of course look better when shading and lighting is added.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

orcane posted:

Reporter lady in ME3 would be a better comparison.

*shudders*

The fact that they put her in a form hugging one-piece with her uncanny valley face plastered on top just made it even worse.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

Those character kits are literally just for people to be able to make cosplay costumes or fanart. The models will of course look better when shading and lighting is added.

Of course.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you guys...are dorks

just dishing out some harsh truths

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

you guys...are dorks

just dishing out some harsh truths

Says the goon.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Start the reactor, Liara.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From Shepard to that midget. How the mighty have fallen.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I will stay play this game even if my character ends up looking like Action Ryder with Kung Fu Grip

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DoctorGonzo posted:

From Shepard to that midget. How the mighty have fallen.

an avatar for all the manlets preordering this garbage lmao

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Ryder's casual gear is now a red flannel shirt paired with 'ex-girlfriend'-cut pants and black box-rimmed glasses with no inserts.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Thor-Stryker posted:

Ryder's casual gear is now a red flannel shirt paired with 'ex-girlfriend'-cut pants and black box-rimmed glasses with no inserts.

Just go all out and make them full hipster:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A typical person is supposed to be about five, maybe six heads tall. A heroic or fashionable figure is expected to be seven. Makes them seem more impressive.

So it's less that Ryder is short and more that Sheploo is a tiny headed supergiant.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I'm pretty sure the actual in-game model has normal proportions?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

marshmallow creep posted:

A typical person is supposed to be about five, maybe six heads tall. A heroic or fashionable figure is expected to be seven. Makes them seem more impressive.

You pulled those numbers out of your rear end.

It's 7.5 for normal and 8.5 for heroic. In your diagram, Ryder is a head shorter than a normal person.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's usually for figure drawing, though. People are usually closer to six, though I do find some reference that the most "attractive" people tend to be seven and a half head heights.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 8, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

You pulled those numbers out of your rear end.

It's 7.5 for normal and 8.5 for heroic. In your diagram, Ryder is a head shorter than a normal person.

A young teenager is generally 5 to 6 heads tall.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

A young teenager is generally 5 to 6 heads tall.

So, a 13 year old?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Every article I can find on body proportions seems to focus on figure drawing instead of actual people, including a medical "tips" website that explicitly references the wikipedia article as its source, when said article is full of [citation needed] comments and, again, only cares about drawings and not actual people.

Does anyone have a link to a study that actually measures people's heads against their heights instead of repeating the same numbers as gospel? I'm willing to be corrected, but I'd like to know.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

So, a 13 year old?

The Ryders are just malnourished.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

marshmallow creep posted:

A typical person is supposed to be about five, maybe six heads tall.

If a typical male is just shy of six foot, does that mean their heads are each twelve inches long?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

you lose something after being freeze-dried for cryosleep

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

If a typical male is just shy of six foot, does that mean their heads are each twelve inches long?

Apparently adult male heads are supposed to be about 9 inches long, which would make six foot guys 8 heads tall. :monocle: Obviously it's not that simple, though, because taller people tend to have larger heads, but it does lend more credence to the 7.5 than the 6 I was led to believe.

I have learned something today. If Ryder and Shepard have the same head size, that means Ryder there is something like 4'10''.

Lol, hoist by my own petard. Funny, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Space midgets gonna midget.

"Shorty" Ryder

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Now we just have to work out what's going on with Iron Bull.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Space midgets gonna midget.

"Shorty" Ryder

Danny Devito in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

orcane posted:

Miranda wasn't actually that bad

counter argument: