Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sappo569 posted:

The beta is over

Well poo poo. I still wouldn't mind a little cocaine playdate. WINK ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
The mere concept of a 4 player open-world tactical shooter that shares characteristics with the FC universe is appealing. If I can co-op the entire campaign and approach the missions with stealth, that's all I'm looking for provided that the shooting / take down mechanics aren't terrible. Add in a good measure of weapon customization, drones, and helicopters, and it sounds like a quite a bit of fun.

I'm seeing a few people complain about how bad the vehicles are... can anyone draw a comparison to other open world games with the same problem? I admittedly don't play racing games so my idea of what I consider "good control" is likely skewed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its not wrong. i mean if it was really realistic half the missions would be done by drones or just shooting them in their sleep or at a wedding.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Severed posted:

The mere concept of a 4 player open-world tactical shooter that shares characteristics with the FC universe is appealing. If I can co-op the entire campaign and approach the missions with stealth, that's all I'm looking for provided that the shooting / take down mechanics aren't terrible. Add in a good measure of weapon customization, drones, and helicopters, and it sounds like a quite a bit of fun.

I'm seeing a few people complain about how bad the vehicles are... can anyone draw a comparison to other open world games with the same problem? I admittedly don't play racing games so my idea of what I consider "good control" is likely skewed.

i didnt hate the vehicles apart from the choppers(mercs one and 2 still have best chopper controls) but they were very watch dogs 2 like so they were kinda of arcade like. honestly i am just weird and dont hate the game but i get why people do. i just takes alot to make me hate a game.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 7, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I thought the game was pretty solid except for the heli controls. Also when you wore a ghili suit your frame rate drops by 30 which is dumb and bad

Also also the basic sniper sucks major dick

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Severed posted:

I think GTA4 ( PC keyboard & mouse ) comes to mind, the cars can be way over responsive with the application of minimal input, so they tend to overreact - It gives the impression that the cars are really floaty. What's worse is that cars handle the same whether they're on bitumen, unsealed dirt or straight up bush. The wonkiness does become more apparent when you start driving off road. I would expect to get stuck very quickly if I take a 4 door station wagon off the road, through a ditch, and then through a hedge. In game you can expect to be at worse bounced around with minimal damage, unless you hit a tree ( undergrowth doesn't stop you at all ). I'm sure it's a deliberate conceit, given the number of goat tracks in game that would be completely undriveable with more realistic handling, but it detracts from any notion of serious milsim that you might try to be gunning for. Couple that with inconsistent collision physics with people, animals and cars, everything feels undercooked and amateurish.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Severed posted:

Car physics and controls are considerably worse than in GTA 3. The big problem is that they don't seem to have any traction with the ground. Also, controls on keyboard are hosed up.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

What's silly is the vehicles in Far Cry and Watch Dogs both handle fine, you'd think they could just yell down the hall and be like "Hey Bill can you help me figure out these loving jeeps"

I played on PC, how did they handle with a controller? Maybe the analog inputs would help, not that it's any consolation to me

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I thought the cars were fine on a controller, not great driving physics or anything but I didn't ever have problems driving them. The helicopter controls took some getting used to and to fly it well they require light pushes on the analogs and triggers which is not possible on a keyboard so I can imagine flying them is a nightmare on PC.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Helicopter flies just fine on PC, but it's nearly impossible to do some sort of precision movement without analog input.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The helicopter flies like poo poo no matter what you play it on simply because the controls aren't consistent. It was posted earlier, but if you aren't flying forward, then throttling up makes you go higher and pressing forward moves you forward. But if you are flying forward, then throttling up makes you go faster and pressing backwards, makes you pull up like a plane. It's really odd.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What I'm saying is that you can easily get used to the helicopter controls for the purpose of just quickly moving around.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

The helicopter flies like poo poo no matter what you play it on simply because the controls aren't consistent. It was posted earlier, but if you aren't flying forward, then throttling up makes you go higher and pressing forward moves you forward. But if you are flying forward, then throttling up makes you go faster and pressing backwards, makes you pull up like a plane. It's really odd.

To be fair, that's how they fly in real life afaik

There's pull up, pull down, then altitude up/down. To go forward you point the nose towards the ground at a 45 angle and press the altitude uh foot pedal? Idk I'm not a pilot

Like the controls make sense but they are poorly calibrated

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I mean I guess I could just do what I did in GTA San Andreas and just pick up the controller whenever I get in a vehicle

And yeah the heli controls were hosed with a keyboard. Shift goes up, that's fine. Go foward goes really slow, and holding shift+forward makes you plummet into the earth. :what: Tapping ctrl to land and the loving thing just drops out of the sky, I was surprised the thing didn't explode every time I landed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shredder posted:

I mean I guess I could just do what I did in GTA San Andreas and just pick up the controller whenever I get in a vehicle

And yeah the heli controls were hosed with a keyboard. Shift goes up, that's fine. Go foward goes really slow, and holding shift+forward makes you plummet into the earth. :what: Tapping ctrl to land and the loving thing just drops out of the sky, I was surprised the thing didn't explode every time I landed.

you have to feather the w key or else yeah pointing the nose at the ground will crash you. it wasn't intuitive but tapping w kept me at a decent angle to move fast, and holding s pulled me up and let me stop short and turn around on a dime

it would be nice if the game could tell the different between a half pressed key and a fully pressed key like it can tell with the analog sticks

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ZombyDog posted:

I think GTA4 ( PC keyboard & mouse ) comes to mind, the cars can be way over responsive with the application of minimal input, so they tend to overreact - It gives the impression that the cars are really floaty. What's worse is that cars handle the same whether they're on bitumen, unsealed dirt or straight up bush. The wonkiness does become more apparent when you start driving off road. I would expect to get stuck very quickly if I take a 4 door station wagon off the road, through a ditch, and then through a hedge. In game you can expect to be at worse bounced around with minimal damage, unless you hit a tree ( undergrowth doesn't stop you at all ). I'm sure it's a deliberate conceit, given the number of goat tracks in game that would be completely undriveable with more realistic handling, but it detracts from any notion of serious milsim that you might try to be gunning for. Couple that with inconsistent collision physics with people, animals and cars, everything feels undercooked and amateurish.

No way, GTA4 has awesome vehicle physics.

Wildlands feels like Big Rigs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I just did a backwards swing first and the helicopter then kept going as intended.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Gunna say I actually really like the helicopter controls. Feels like it takes a little skill without needing to be BF4 level proficient.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

funny Star Wars parody posted:

To be fair, that's how they fly in real life afaik

There's pull up, pull down, then altitude up/down. To go forward you point the nose towards the ground at a 45 angle and press the altitude uh foot pedal? Idk I'm not a pilot

Like the controls make sense but they are poorly calibrated

They're straight up hosed on a controller. If you try to point the nose to move forward, and hold the stick there(like I believe you would in a real chopper with the rotor tilt), the game does it at first, then it just resets back to level or even a little backwards, even though you're still holding the stick in same spot and still moving forward. It was just totally broken.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Ideally, for me, the helicopter would be mapped on controller to have pitch and roll on the left stick, looking around with right, X to shoot weapon A, left tigger descend, right trigger ascend, left and right bumper would be tail control. You'd have to feather the throttle while trying to move in any direction otherwise your left stick control would make you lose altitude. Full speed forward would be pitched forward on the stick with full throttle.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The helicopter seems to have a very heavy auto hover on at all times , any time you let off the forward movement it snaps back to try and hover

I've found if you pitch down dramatically then let go and hold shift it will sort of cruise forward without losing altitude , but as soon as you pitch forward (with full cyclic up) it just tried to drive itself straight into the dirt at speed

Very weird

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

The helicopter seems to have a very heavy auto hover on at all times , any time you let off the forward movement it snaps back to try and hover

I've found if you pitch down dramatically then let go and hold shift it will sort of cruise forward without losing altitude , but as soon as you pitch forward (with full cyclic up) it just tried to drive itself straight into the dirt at speed

Very weird

That's because the game wants you to pull back to go up at that point. Like I said, once it leaves hover mode, the helicopter controls like a plane.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

I had a great time with the tech test, and I put the rough edges down to it being just that, a tech test. The guys I play stuff like this with are fully stoked for it, but we're weirdos who liked full stealthing payday 2 levels and poo poo

yeah at the core me and my group of morons are extremely into trying to ghost the missions while also griefing eachother with grenades, if they tighten up the net sync and driving (and possibly the mission ecounter design because "ten guys sprinkled around some shanties" might not stay fresh forever) we're basically set already

everything else is just the standard formulaic ubisoft bullshit that you can safely ignore anyway, kind of like how far cry 4 was perfectly enjoyable if you just never even looked at a collectible etc

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I thought the driving was so bad that it was actually awesome because you can just get on a motorbike and off road up mountains and ford rivers instead of sticking to the road. I'm no pilot, but I didn't have an issue flying the chopper on the keyboard. I played through the whole beta on Ghost single-player and had a pretty okay time, but they really need to let you just disable your squad mates or make it so you can immediately kill yourself when you go down because nothing is more annoying than getting downed and then having to wait two minutes for your AI squad to revive you. My crew is going to have a blast with this game when it finally comes out, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone that's burnt out on Ubisoft's open world formula because they sure as hell didn't re-invent the wheel here.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
The ability to drive wherever with little to no resistance when going offroad seems like a common theme I see in many open world games. I can remember driving around like a madman in Just Cause 2 or even Far Cry 3, but I guess it didn't seem out of place considering that these titles were not meant to be realistic. I will say though that lacking a certain level of control on paved streets seems weird.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I read somewhere you can customize the whole team for single player, obviously it wasn't in the beta. I wonder if that is true.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deakul posted:

No way, GTA4 has awesome vehicle physics.

To this day I literally can't understand how anyone could find the driving even remotely manageable in that game let alone fun

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Wandle Cax posted:

To this day I literally can't understand how anyone could find the driving even remotely manageable in that game let alone fun

I would like to know what your standard is for videogame driving

do not name a racing game

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Wandle Cax posted:

For me, it was that the cars had this weight to them and to drive really well you had to deal with it. It's somewhat like the last Driver game with the cars power sliding all over the place like some 70's movie. Well, that and it looked cool too.

As an avid flyer of video game helicopters, I believe that the whole auto-stabilization/odd feel of the helicopter is to keep it stable enough at hover for your bros to reliably shoot from.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

GTA4's driving was ok. But there were way too many cars in that game that handles like boats or cadillac's. I am glad that toned it down a bit in GTA V.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's completely manageable.
Slow the gently caress down, you're allowed to let go of the gas, use your brakes (don't touch that loving handbrake), change the camera angle to a higher angle while you're at it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shredder posted:

What's silly is the vehicles in Far Cry and Watch Dogs both handle fine, you'd think they could just yell down the hall and be like "Hey Bill can you help me figure out these loving jeeps"

I played on PC, how did they handle with a controller? Maybe the analog inputs would help, not that it's any consolation to me

Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs 2 were made in Montreal, Ghost Recon is made in Paris. That's a long hallway.

I figured out the flying controls eventually, but would prefer GTA style with an actual rudder.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Croccers posted:

It's completely manageable.
Slow the gently caress down, you're allowed to let go of the gas, use your brakes (don't touch that loving handbrake), change the camera angle to a higher angle while you're at it.

You're giving advice for a game that is almost 9 years old. Most of us have moved on. It's not that we couldn't handle the driving, it's just that we didn't like it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

mellowjournalism posted:

GTA V

:v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mellowjournalism posted:

Mine is Boiling Point :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I mean, hell, I'd never think I'll say this, but World of Tanks is a better racing game than Wildlands.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

They need to make the controls full on arcade ala Saints Row/Just Cause, if I want to crash into the walls because I forgot to feather the loving brakes I'll go play Dirt Rally.

We've already established they aren't going for realism here, so at least make it fun.

Also, why is there no G36 in this game

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shredder posted:

If this game gets the support the Division has gotten post-release, I think it could be a great game.

Can't you just use the Nvidia codec? What was your GPU usage like?

ZombyDog posted:

Game defaulted to High graphical settings but was doing the hovering at 33-36 FPS making every thing seem sluggish ( especially vehicles ). Rather than drop graphical settings to Medium I figured I would adjust the typical offenders without sacrificing too much visual fidelity.
I changed the Temporal AA to FXAA, I changed the shadow details from High to Medium, I turned off motion blur and lens flairs ( more so because I'm not a fan of the effects ), I turned off the large terrain shadows and I turned off God Rays because that's often a major offender.
I struck gold but, but once I had a constant 60FPS I didn't go back to pin point exactly what was eating my performance.

I turned off blur, lense flair and adjust the AA down but didn't change it to FXAA, nor did I change shadows. Probably should have touched on those as well.

Sappo569 posted:

Let me ask those of you who still think this game is fun

How many times have you gone into a fight , gotten killed (probably because someone just ran in guns blazing) then you sat there waiting for 30 seconds to be revived while they cleared out of the rest of the base.

Maybe if it was once or twice a session not every 10 minutes 'Oh there goes bill again what a wacky fellow'

I thought at first the you tubers hammed it up for the sake of views. But the game actively tries to constantly gently caress you up for the sake of wacky antics

Maybe I must bitter and I wish Ubi soft would hurry up and refund my pre order

The guys I played with were pretty good about it, just random pubbies too. Though I didn't go play with pubbies until I'd already finished the 6 main missions they gave you for the beta.

Severed posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Helicopter flies just fine on PC, but it's nearly impossible to do some sort of precision movement without analog input.

Shredder posted:

funny Star Wars parody posted:

you have to feather the w key or else yeah pointing the nose at the ground will crash you. it wasn't intuitive but tapping w kept me at a decent angle to move fast, and holding s pulled me up and let me stop short and turn around on a dime

it would be nice if the game could tell the different between a half pressed key and a fully pressed key like it can tell with the analog sticks

Most of what's been said was pretty on point in regards to the land vehicles. Boats felt crisp but were boring.

Helicopters, on the other hand, I found to be pretty fun. Yeah, it took some getting used to and the only part I could really complain about is how slow they are when it comes to actually taking off and trying to bug out of an area with any kind of urgency. That and how sensitive the loving throttle down key was. Tapping CTRL from any height of less than 30-40 feet was likely to see you slam into the ground.

However, once you got going (holding shift) and paid attention to when the nose of the helicopter began to dip in response to holding the W key down, then they got fun. Let go of the W key and fly that bitch like a plane.

While fun.. I would appreciate a 1st person view for vehicles and less arcadey helicopter controls. It was hard to do accurate landings with any kind of speed and as a long time ARMA 2/3 player that prefers to ferry people around in a helicopter, that got on my nerves.

Did anyone else use the melee glitch to break out of the boundaries and explore the (incomplete) world map?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shredder posted:

They need to make the controls full on arcade ala Saints Row/Just Cause, if I want to crash into the walls because I forgot to feather the loving brakes I'll go play Dirt Rally.

Some of the vehicles are fine, some of them are poo poo, just like most games with vehicle choice. That first blue truck you're presented with when you started the beta was good, so were all the trucks with miniguns as well as the sports car you have to steal. I was power sliding up and down those hairpins like crazy and having a blast. It's hardly Dirt Rally level of simulation. The long sedans steered like boats, which I expect for video game cars.

This game is a controller game through and through, if you insist on using a keyboard to drive, well, boolean inputs like keyboard keys make all steering feel like trash.

quote:

We've already established they aren't going for realism here, so at least make it fun.

Agreed, player needs a jump and maybe a dedicated roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

LCL-Dead posted:

Can't you just use the Nvidia codec? What was your GPU usage like?

I use nvenc in OBS, it didn't matter with this title. Even with everything else closed it was totally CPU bound, all 4 cores were maxed at 100% all of the time.

My GTX1080 was sleeping through it.

• Locked thread