Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tesseraction posted:

It was the Labour movement of the 1910s-1920s that fought and earned the right to leisure time.

The Common Travel Area predates the Second World War, yet both administrations in Ireland are making GBS threads bricks at security implications if the increasingly likely prospect of a hard Irish border (either north-south or east-west) happens.

e: Article 51 is pretty boring poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope he takes the weekend off personally.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I hope he takes the weekend off personally.

I heard he enjoys the countryside.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

Lol four day week. What a oval office.

Counterpoint - he's trying to sell his new book and a nice juicy Corbyn story will help him do that.

The idea that any MP works a four day week strikes me as not being credible, let alone being the leader of the opposition on top of that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Hopefully this isn't just going to be ignored by all but the Groan and Mirror.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/pmqs-jeremy-corbyn-steamrollers-theresa-may-classic-ambush

quote:

PMQs: Jeremy Corbyn steamrollers Theresa May with a classic ambush

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

Counterpoint - he's trying to sell his new book and a nice juicy Corbyn story will help him do that.

The idea that any MP works a four day week strikes me as not being credible, let alone being the leader of the opposition on top of that.

I don't think it's much of a 'juicy story' tbh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think Corbyn did quite well on the Surrey sweetheart deal at PMQs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

e: Article 51 is pretty boring poo poo.
The UN Article 51 has been used to justify state terrorism against people. Then again so has everything from the weather to God said so.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Yeah it's a good one. Bad timing with the Brexit vote though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The UN Article 51 has been used to justify state terrorism against people. Then again so has everything from the weather to God said so.

The EU Article 51, I meant. :v:

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah it's a good one. Bad timing with the Brexit vote though.

Yeah. Corbyn needs to be getting a major victory, not a string of minor victories, though.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

One of the greatest tricks of liberalism is to split that leisure time such that some have too little and are overworked, and some have too much and too little income. We then call the latter group skivers and seek to prove how we're not one of them by demanding ever shittier working conditions.

Any sensible system could distribute the work to be done fairly across these groups while still providing a living income.

so they can work after all, says a Tory waving a jobscentre slash bill. we knew it. put 'em to work.

And since, as the liberals frequently tell us, we are on the left side of the Laffer curve and therefore tax cuts do not increase labour supply, tax cuts will decrease labour supply. And so the noble hard-working will go home earlier! What a shock, Tory prescriptions for a Marxist nostrum? And this is the point, hopefully, where you remember that Marx was a classical economist. His framework implies some really odd things about policies written from a postwar-liberal perspective.

aaaaanyway. what's especially remarkable is that there's an odd parallel, at least facially, between the Marxist reserve-army-of-labour intuition and the contemporary efficiency-wages shirking model (which, despite the name, implies an equilibrium that is inefficient in a contemporary sense). the main differences are 1) what they imply about the cyclical behaviour of these aggregates during recessions, and 2) what they imply about the response to policies or external changes that might increase or decrease the real wage level

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

One of the greatest tricks of liberalism is to split that leisure time such that some have too little and are overworked, and some have too much and too little income. We then call the latter group skivers and seek to prove how we're not one of them by demanding ever shittier working conditions.

Any sensible system could distribute the work to be done fairly across these groups while still providing a living income.

Is that liberalism or capitalism that's causing this though? If the former, would you mind explaining the causality a bit more?

TinTower posted:

I hope he broadens it to the general protection for Tory councils that came up earlier last year and was ignored by everyone.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 8, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tesseraction posted:

Okay. drat, I voted us into 7 day weeks with 16 hour shifts and likely unpaid overtime on top. Probably bringing back child labour too. Curse my short-sighted desire for bendy bananas.

I'm not gonna store this post up for 3-4 years to spring it on you when we see the white paper for the Business Freedoms Act (2021), but you're a loving daftie if you think the Working Time directive survives much beyond the repeal act, a Brexit-led recession hitting businesses and the inevitable Tory victory in 2020.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
On 4-day work weeks: I have absolutely no problem with Corbyn doing a 4-day week as long as he offers the same right to the rest of the people employed by Labour, else he's a oval office.

If it were a real story, of course.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Even if Corbyn is working a 4 day week, there's a decent chance he does so with extreme hours for those 4 days, due to the hours that parliament keeps.
Very good chance Corbyn is working around 10-12 hours on a given weekday.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

Even if Corbyn is working a 4 day week, there's a decent chance he does so with extreme hours for those 4 days, due to the hours that parliament keeps.
Very good chance Corbyn is working around 10-12 hours on a given weekday.

These numbers you've made up are plausible as hell.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A 10 hour day, jesus. He surely can't keep that up for long.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My work is mulling over moving me to a 4 day week, working 8am to 6pm, with 2 15minute breaks and a 45minute lunch each day, for a total of 37.5 hours per week.

It's not inconceivable for the leader of the opposition to work, say, 10am until 8pm.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I can totally imagine the opposition leader working those hours or similar hours. Or even different hours.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Parliament does not sit every day.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah on Wednesdays they're standing up and making hooting noises.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dabir posted:

Yeah on Wednesdays they're standing up and making hooting noises.

[BRAYING DISAGREEMENT FROM BACKBENCHES]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not gonna store this post up for 3-4 years to spring it on you when we see the white paper for the Business Freedoms Act (2021), but you're a loving daftie if you think the Working Time directive survives much beyond the repeal act, a Brexit-led recession hitting businesses and the inevitable Tory victory in 2020.

I know the electorate are a bunch of stupid mad dogs but I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Brexit is the complete disaster we suspect it will be AND have the Tories walking into power in 2020. If we hit full on recession we can count on 24 hour news channels to remind people every hour of every day.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

As the public perception of MP's working hours is a bit of a bugbear of mine, here's Ian Murray's "a week in the life of a backbench MP" diagram.

Obviously as you take on additional responsibilities, committees, or positions, then it only gets busier.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I know the electorate are a bunch of stupid mad dogs but I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Brexit is the complete disaster we suspect it will be AND have the Tories walking into power in 2020. If we hit full on recession we can count on 24 hour news channels to remind people every hour of every day.

They'll also remind people every hour of every day that Labour wanted this too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you want a vision of the future, imagine McDonnell reading the Little Red Book at the budget... forever...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

Remind people every hour of every day that the EU and immigrants are destroying our great nation because we stood up to them, and that lefties were willing to accept slavery rather than do that? You're right, they will.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Labour's got a lot of problems but a one-time gag at PMQs that three people remember isn't really one of them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ronya posted:

Parliament does not sit every day.
what a pointless thing to say
sitting in parliament is not the full extent of an MPs job

that's like thinking school teachers all go home at 3 when classes end

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

what a pointless thing to say
sitting in parliament is not the full extent of an MPs job

that's like thinking school teachers all go home at 3 when classes end

They should though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
like teachers parliament gets about 3 months off a year

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine McDonnell reading the Little Red Book at the budget... forever...

It was a really good joke to be fair.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it was

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

It was a really good joke to be fair.

It was loving hilarious, actually

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

mehall posted:

My work is mulling over moving me to a 4 day week, working 8am to 6pm, with 2 15minute breaks and a 45minute lunch each day, for a total of 37.5 hours per week.

I used to do Monday - Thursday 8am - 6/615/630pm in IT, for 37.5 hours/week.

Best job I ever had. The difference between a 2 day and 3 day weekend cannot be overstated.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Regarde Aduck posted:

I know the electorate are a bunch of stupid mad dogs but I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Brexit is the complete disaster we suspect it will be AND have the Tories walking into power in 2020.

Austerity was the complete disaster we suspected it would be, and look where we are.

Come to that Iraq was the disaster we expected it to be, and Blair got elected after it.

Our election results are more affected by how many people vote for minor parties than they are by big issues.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Prince John posted:

As the public perception of MP's working hours is a bit of a bugbear of mine, here's Ian Murray's "a week in the life of a backbench MP" diagram.

Obviously as you take on additional responsibilities, committees, or positions, then it only gets busier.

Some MPs are really hard working, some do sod all. They all tend to do a lot less in safe seats or as they have been an MP longer. This is one of the big reasons Labour lost Scotland, most of its MPs didn't really do anything. Ian Murray is very hard working. He needs to be though.

VVV He is also a huge tryhard. Whatever he does you can bet it's in the best interests of Ian Murray.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Has Ian Murray changed from abstaining a lot when he's needed the most?

TinTower posted:

Yeah. Corbyn needs to be getting a major victory, not a string of minor victories, though.

Do you not know combos? You gotta have a string of minor attacks and then end it with a ex special attack so that they are near stunned and then read their next attack and do another combo till they are stunned and then you finish them off with one last minor combo into a super finisher.

God, it's like you don't understand politics at all.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/829399351999025165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope that the Prime Minutes will not intervene. I think Yuuj JreP should be able to pursue his interests.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2017

• Locked thread