Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The projections generally undervalue good bullpens, and I don't see any reason why the Yankees can't at least hit the same win total as last season seeing as it's pretty much an identical team and if anything the roster generally underperformed last year.

The yankees are such a bizarre team this year that I can easily see them going anywhere from 71 wins to 91 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

The yankees are such a bizarre team this year that I can easily see them going anywhere from 71 wins to 91 wins.

Pretty much. I'm basing my repeating mid-80s-wins idea on the kids not all flaming out, because if that does happen their win pct is secondary to the "Oh gently caress" that will envelop the entire operation.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

R.D. Mangles posted:

what kind of insane projection system has the cardinals at 75 wins

One that accounts for a large regression of offense and identical pitching. Also one that accounts for Matheny.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Just read that article on Manfred talking about shifts:

quote:

Speaking to WFAN’s Mike Francesa on Wednesday, Manfred acknowledged “there has been an explosion in terms of the amount of shifting that’s going on,” referring to the practice of overloading one side of the field against pull hitters.

“It does affect certain types of players disproportionately, and it also exacerbates some trends in the game that may not be great from an entertainment perspective,” the commissioner said. ” … When you shift on certain types of players, it increases the likelihood that they’re either going to strike out or try to hit it out of the ballpark. That’s the reality.”

And that's...bad??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tinstaach posted:

Just read that article on Manfred talking about shifts:

And that's...bad??
There is a reasonable argument to be made that fewer balls in play makes for less interesting baseball to watch. Pushing batters towards the Three True Outcomes would exacerbate this.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Or players could adapt by learning how to hit better (or bunt one down the third base line)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Or players could adapt by learning how to hit better (or bunt one down the third base line)

That doesn't really change the fact that 3TO players are generally better than those that rely on putting balls into play. Bryant, Harper, Trout, and Goldschmidt are all top 10 3TO players.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

There is a reasonable argument to be made that fewer balls in play makes for less interesting baseball to watch. Pushing batters towards the Three True Outcomes would exacerbate this.

I think "games are too long" is still the #1 problem, though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

That doesn't really change the fact that 3TO players are generally better than those that rely on putting balls into play. Bryant, Harper, Trout, and Goldschmidt are all top 10 3TO players.

Players who hit homers and walk a lot are good, players who hit homers but strike out a ton and don't walk aren't. Lumping both groups together as "3TO players" isn't particularly helpful.

tadashi posted:

I think "games are too long" is still the #1 problem, though.

If Manfred wants to reduce game times then he should be all in favour of shifting, offence makes games longer.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 8, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tinstaach posted:

And that's...bad??

Strikeouts are fascist.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Honestly it just kinda sucks to see dudes get put out by someone playing in a softball rover position. It not only cuts down on offense but in some ways makes defense less interesting. Whether or not it should actually be considered "good" defense, seeing the 2B make a diving stop and throwing a dude out on his knees from the edge of the dirt is just more fun to watch.

Still, I'm not really in favor of banning the shift.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's the point of Manfred's quote. Players ARE adapting to increased shifts by moving towards a TTO approach.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Players who hit homers and walk a lot are good, players who hit homers but strike out a ton and don't walk aren't. Lumping both groups together as "3TO players" isn't particularly helpful.

Strikeouts just don't matter as much as people seem to think. 41 of the top players in the game by fWAR have a K% above 20%. Players are going to create outs, its just part of the game.

e: I would honestly be in favor of limiting where players can be on the field. LF, SS, 3B have to be to the right of the 2nd base bag, 2B, 1B and RF have to be the left of it. Just making it so the SS and 2B can't start a play on the opposite side of the bad would change things immensely.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Honestly it just kinda sucks to see dudes get put out by someone playing in a softball rover position. It not only cuts down on offense but in some ways makes defense less interesting. Whether or not it should actually be considered "good" defense, seeing the 2B make a diving stop and throwing a dude out on his knees from the edge of the dirt is just more fun to watch.

Agreed. But both of these outcomes are more interesting to watch than a strikeout, from the casual fan perspective.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's not like David Ortiz shooting a soft groundball single through the right side for the millionth time is a super thrilling play either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Meh. To use another sports example. If you are playing basketball and you know your opponent can't go left. You are going to do everything in power to take the right hand away and force him to his weaker hand.

It's boring, but great defense is often boring.

If someone is in the right spot and makes the right read an otherwise tough play looks routine.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Assuming big power and pull hitting are pretty well correlated it seems like the Dawn of the Shift Age would disproportionately affect big bats and chase some power hitters out of the league or reduce their ABs, has this happened in practice?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Meh. To use another sports example. If you are playing basketball and you know your opponent can't go left. You are going to do everything in power to take the right hand away and force him to his weaker hand.

It's boring, but great defense is often boring.

If someone is in the right spot and makes the right read an otherwise tough play looks routine.

The difference is that, in baseball, a good hitter has 3-5 at bats. In Basketball, that dudes going to touch the ball like 70-80 more times. More opportunities for weird poo poo to happen, more opportunities for the defender to gently caress up leading to cool poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

Assuming big power and pull hitting are pretty well correlated it seems like the Dawn of the Shift Age would disproportionately affect big bats and chase some power hitters out of the league or reduce their ABs, has this happened in practice?

Like we've previously discussed, it just makes 3TO players more valuable. Dudes who walk a ton and mash taters are way more valuable.

It effects pull hitters that DON'T have home run power way more than pull hitters that mash taters.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Strikeouts just don't matter as much as people seem to think. 41 of the top players in the game by fWAR have a K% above 20%. Players are going to create outs, its just part of the game.

The point I'm making is that saying players with a higher 3TO percentage are better doesn't make sense when one of those outcomes (making an out) is a bad thing for a batter to be doing. Being able to say "some of them are good" is not a useful tool when the top guy is Chris Carter who is demonstrably not good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just do what Schwarber does and hit it through the shift.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That's the point of Manfred's quote. Players ARE adapting to increased shifts by moving towards a TTO approach.
Are they, though?

Strikeouts have been going up for 20-30 years, for a bunch of reasons: pitchers throwing harder, sabrmetrics erasing the stigma of striking out, relievers who come in to face one guy, pitchfx forcing umpires to call strikes at the knees...

Home runs have spiked recently, but is that because of shifts? Teams mostly shift against LHH, but righties are hitting more dingers too.

League-wide walk rates have been pretty low lately, compared to the last few decades.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Are they, though?

Strikeouts have been going up for 20-30 years, for a bunch of reasons: pitchers throwing harder, sabrmetrics erasing the stigma of striking out, relievers who come in to face one guy, pitchfx forcing umpires to call strikes at the knees...

Home runs have spiked recently, but is that because of shifts? Teams mostly shift against LHH, but righties are hitting more dingers too.

League-wide walk rates have been pretty low lately, compared to the last few decades.
I think that is Manfred's assertion, but no we don't know definitively if it is happening.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Daniel Murphy is the hero we need

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Cool old guy and LOOGY extraordinaire Javier Lopez is retiring.

He may have stopped being able to get One Lefty Out, Guys, but drat if he didn't have a great run.

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/829447355111845888

Also for a brief period after Jeter retired he had more rings than any other active player (four).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Manfred has asserted that the big issue is pace. Obviously the big thing to fix would be a pitcher clock (which is showing success in the minor leagues, and is hopefully cultivating a faster pitch routine in minor league players), but the players' union is opposed to it. Hence why Manfred is trying to do things within his control.

I'm just not seeing how shifts are causing a pacing issue.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Berzerker posted:

Chris Carter is nothing super special but his signing just makes the Justin Smoak extension that much more horrible/funny/horrible

Yeah, the Jays have handled the 1B/DH spot poorly. They signed Smoak to a 2/8.25 deal, paying a lot for a dude whose asset is that he has a great glove (which isn't really my first priority at 1B, but I digress). Then they mishandled the EE situation by misreading the market, and when EE didn't sign their 4/80 offer, they went out and overpaid for Morales, and also signed Steve Pearce. I mean, it's not my money, so who cares? But, I am not exactly thrilled with who the Jays are headed into the season with. I am not a fan of Carter, but I'd much rather see him launch dingers, even with his lovely average and high strikeouts, then watch whatever the heck it is that Smoak does.

Also, I don't actually dislike Morales, but I would have much rather seen EE fill his role.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

I'm just not seeing how shifts are causing a pacing issue.

They aren't. I don't think the shift stuff is coming up in the game length arguments so much as they are in the general "Is baseball cool and hip and fun?!" arguments.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

They aren't. I don't think the shift stuff is coming up in the game length arguments so much as they are in the general "Is baseball cool and hip and fun?!" arguments.

Well, I think it's still something worth assessing if that's the case. Baseball is huge among baby boomers, but younger generations still aren't with it. I still think it's gonna take some time before teams start adjusting to shifts.

Speaking of new rules, Joe Torre is considering a new extra innings rule that will be implemented in the low minors: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html (It's placing a runner on 1st base starting in extra innings).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

seiferguy posted:

Well, I think it's still something worth assessing if that's the case. Baseball is huge among baby boomers, but younger generations still aren't with it. I still think it's gonna take some time before teams start adjusting to shifts.

Speaking of new rules, Joe Torre is considering a new extra innings rule that will be implemented in the low minors: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html (It's placing a runner on 1st base starting in extra innings).

That rule would be ok in the regular season, but I hope to the gods they don't do it for post

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

The thing is that the length of the game isn't the issue. Pace of the game maybe, but I think they're focused on the wrong stuff, and part of this is also MLB being loving idiots about marketing. The NFL and NBA make their star players loving stars, most people, even casual-to-slightly-serious fans probably couldn't pick Mike Trout out of a lineup. (No pun originally intended.) Even if they're 100% sure that pace of play or time of games is the fix, they're focused on all the wrong places.

A runner on base means more sac flies or bunts and gently caress. that.

Speaking of outsized players, though: Brian Wilson eyeing MLB return as a knuckleballer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Pat Venditte's on Italy's roster for the WBC.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
USA roster is pretty good:

https://twitter.com/WBCBaseball/status/829470570492338177

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

If they're worried that much about extra innings lengthening games, limit regular season ones to 12 and allow for ties. Save time, save pitchers' arms in the process.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

:eyepop: Posey/Goldschmidt/Kinsler/Crawford/Arenado infield is straight up insane.

Not gonna let a single ball through.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Inspector_666 posted:

The thing is that the length of the game isn't the issue. Pace of the game maybe, but I think they're focused on the wrong stuff, and part of this is also MLB being loving idiots about marketing. The NFL and NBA make their star players loving stars, most people, even casual-to-slightly-serious fans probably couldn't pick Mike Trout out of a lineup. (No pun originally intended.) Even if they're 100% sure that pace of play or time of games is the fix, they're focused on all the wrong places.

A runner on base means more sac flies or bunts and gently caress. that.

Speaking of outsized players, though: Brian Wilson eyeing MLB return as a knuckleballer.

"I may be 34 but I'm 26 biologically and just spent a month eating nothing but guac."

:lol:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crazy Ted posted:

If they're worried that much about extra innings lengthening games, limit regular season ones to 12 and allow for ties. Save time, save pitchers' arms in the process.

Ties would be the #1 thing I don't want them to do.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

"I may be 34 but I'm 26 biologically and just spent a month eating nothing but guac."

:lol:

On a related note: he also spent a month on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The lineup is going to be fearsome but they don't really have any dominant starters on that roster. I guess they start Stroman/Fulmer/Duffy and just use lots of guys out of the pen for a batter or two each?

• Locked thread