Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen stairs like that before, 100% of the time in the former soviet union.

I saw a set like those in the old Soviet Embassy in East Berlin actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't even intend to that is just honestly where the math landed.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was worried I was going too far back or dredging up too old a joke but then I remembered what thread I was in.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
Onto some crappy construction:

Reddit DIY has someone's wonderful new master bath: http://imgur.com/a/65IQa

As you'll see by the time you get down to the 20th or so picture, they forgot a key layer.

And call me paranoid, but that much unsealed wood in a bathroom doesn't seem like too hot of an idea.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The tan on the boards sure looks ugly peeping through that grey.

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

ManlyWeevil posted:

As you'll see by the time you get down to the 20th or so picture, they forgot a key layer.

And call me paranoid, but that much unsealed wood in a bathroom doesn't seem like too hot of an idea.

Not familiar with US building code, but shouldn't there be a plastic sealant below the mosaic and floor? Or is the cement board good enough?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

5 different wall/floor surfaces to suit your mood!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Things like this make me question why I'm spending so long trying to prove to building control that putting a double door into a stud wall won't destabilise the entire building. Also it might be my eyes or the picture but is the building bulging out above the stone?

That floating lawn chair or whatever it is is pretty cool though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ManlyWeevil posted:

Is it just me or did they not actually seal behind those two shower niches other than grout?

That whole place is plaster and lath, they're going to find out wonderful things when that leak finally makes the wall next door let go. Also, did anyone see an exhaust fan in there to deal with the humidity from that huge-rear end rain shower head?

Edit : Oh, god, they just laid that ship-lap unsealed on top of the old plaster.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ManlyWeevil posted:

Oh my god did they not add any additional noggins between the joists before putting that much dead load onto the floor? I guess the deathtrap wet marble floor will probably kill them first but gently caress.

Also I suspect that fitting wet wall board is not as effective if you cut it all into pieces to maximise the number of joints and then don't tape them....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You need to:
Hang board *
Cement
Tape
Cement again
Seal (rubber goop)
Rubber floor basin

And only THEN can you

Tile adhesive *
Tile *
Grout *
Grout seal
Grout seal
Grout seal

Looks like they did only the ones I marked? Like, skipped EVERY waterproofing step possible.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Has this blog ever come up before? http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/?p=37564

Realtor posts photos of the strange/bad listings he finds around town. Some gold but you have to wade through a lot of "why would you put up pictures of a messy house when you're trying to sell it?"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You need to:
Hang board *
Cement
Tape
Cement again
Seal (rubber goop)
Rubber floor basin

And only THEN can you

Tile adhesive *
Tile *
Grout *
Grout seal
Grout seal
Grout seal

Looks like they did only the ones I marked? Like, skipped EVERY waterproofing step possible.

Is the end result just that the wood in the walls rots away? How long does that take to set in?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't see any moisture exhaust fan in the room either, so I'd say that bathroom will be destroyed by moisture and mold within a year.

e: Unless the floor collapses first, like Powerful Two-Hander said.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't see any moisture exhaust fan in the room either, so I'd say that bathroom will be destroyed by moisture and mold within a year.

e: Unless the floor collapses first, like Powerful Two-Hander said.

The fan is fortunately not one of the steps they forgot (you can see it in the last photo as well as a few others). I don't think that's going to save this room from moisture and rot though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You need to:
Hang board *
Cement
Tape
Cement again
Seal (rubber goop)
Rubber floor basin

And only THEN can you

Tile adhesive *
Tile *
Grout *
Grout seal
Grout seal
Grout seal

I kept scrolling down looking for the section where the mistakes started, got to the first tiling picture, instant :stare: face

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

When your precariously balanced TV finally falls off, it can also leave a giant hole in the drywall on its way down. :downs:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

there wolf posted:

Has this blog ever come up before? http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/?p=37564

Realtor posts photos of the strange/bad listings he finds around town. Some gold but you have to wade through a lot of "why would you put up pictures of a messy house when you're trying to sell it?"

My dad bought a really big house/former restaurant combo a while back. I wish I had gotten a picture of it before he started tearing everything out, but it had this interior garage which had a toilet, hooked up and everything, just sitting in the middle of the interior garage. And this wasn't the only thing odd about it: every living space had a toilet sitting smack in the middle of it. And it had the only kitchen I've ever seen ready made for someone who's seven feet tall(this being the one in the living space). I'm 6'3 and there was no way I could reach the top cabinets without a step stool.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

A White Guy posted:

My dad bought a really big house/former restaurant combo a while back. I wish I had gotten a picture of it before he started tearing everything out, but it had this interior garage which had a toilet, hooked up and everything, just sitting in the middle of the interior garage. And this wasn't the only thing odd about it: every living space had a toilet sitting smack in the middle of it. And it had the only kitchen I've ever seen ready made for someone who's seven feet tall(this being the one in the living space). I'm 6'3 and there was no way I could reach the top cabinets without a step stool.

Was there a toilet in the kitchen? For someone 7 feet tall?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Well, that's annoying. Now they have to buy a TV rated to hold up the wall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

glynnenstein posted:

Well, that's annoying. Now they have to buy a TV rated to hold up the wall.

A load-bearing TV? Well that's new.

Would that make this, "A load, bearing drywall?"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Wait, I'm feeling dumb, what's with the tv mount? What am I looking at? It looks like a tv mount.. screwed to a wall? Is that... wrong?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They have it backwards. The part screwed to the wall is suppose to be connected to the TV.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The part that goes to the TV is attached to the wall, the part that goes to the wall is waiting to receive a TV.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Wait, I'm feeling dumb, what's with the tv mount? What am I looking at? It looks like a tv mount.. screwed to a wall? Is that... wrong?

The part that's in the wall is usually connected to the back of a monitor.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Oh you're right, I thought the joke was that they were going to mount a TV onto a flimsy piece of drywall which would eventually rip a giant hole in it.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Oh you're right, I thought the joke was that they were going to mount a TV onto a flimsy piece of drywall which would eventually rip a giant hole in it.

That is ALSO likely.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ohhh, ok.

*sneaks away to check his tv mounts*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

there wolf posted:

The one that you linked is a doozy. Like, they really had trouble defining uses for each room. You've got a bedroom with a bath in it (not a bathroom, a bath. the sink is literally next to the bed), a bedroom with a kitchen in it, and a bathroom with a laundry room in it (or vice versa). The kitchen is pretty ill-defined as well, what with the doorless cabinets and big TV on the counter.
They certainly went all in on the "western" theme.
Bonus points for being in Canada.

edit:

edit2: I tried. The page doesn't support https.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

I saw this same image at the beginning of this IMGUR gallery, which includes a bunch of other tech stuff. Some of the more construction-y highlights here:

There's a ton of other, really cringe-inducing, stuff in there that just doesn't quite fit this thread so well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ignoranus posted:

There's a ton of other, really cringe-inducing, stuff in there that just doesn't quite fit this thread so well.

And to think, people laughed when they made this connector:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Was there a toilet in the kitchen? For someone 7 feet tall?

No, no toilets in the kitchen but every toilet in the house was for someone with an absolutely gigantic rear end. I'm guessing the woman they bought the house from was simultaneously 7 feet tall and about 400 pounds. I'll have to ask my old man to send me some pictures of his kitchen for giants, because seriously, the highest cabinet needs a ladder to reach.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Garden hose to HDMI connector. :psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

The best part of this is how far someone went to the effort of making a very genuine looking packaging for it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This reminds me of a time when I was called into work at 9 PM. Our office was a converted warehouse, and the hot water tank that served the kitchen and the bathrooms was mounted in the ceiling above the women's restroom. Our server closet was the next door over, and the water heater sprung a leak. I found the shutoff (ceiling of the break room) and called an emergency plumber.

We later discovered that whoever put in the bathroom vent fan didn't bother extending it all the way outside; no, fart gas was dumped straight into the server room.

quote:

I went to school at Georgia Tech, and the lecture halls in the basement of the College of Computing Building were very underground. Once, during torrential rains, this exact thing happened and water was pouring out of the electrical outlets.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can I actually order one of these? I want to put the package in our break room.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

We later discovered that whoever put in the bathroom vent fan didn't bother extending it all the way outside; no, fart gas was dumped straight into the server room.
outlets.
There are two bathrooms side-by-side in a hallway at my shop, and their exhaust fans just vent into the sealed attic space above them. All turning a fan on does is spread the stench into the other bathroom via it's fan opening.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

This was essentially the sarcastic joke connection I used to explain to people that the things they wanted to connect were not compatible, back in my days as a RadioShack manager.

Jesus, it was scary how often people just wanted an adapter to connect totally bizarre unrelated things together.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DVD Player -> S-Video -> BNC -> Shortwave Radio

There, was that so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

This was essentially the sarcastic joke connection I used to explain to people that the things they wanted to connect were not compatible, back in my days as a RadioShack manager.

Jesus, it was scary how often people just wanted an adapter to connect totally bizarre unrelated things together.

Benus in vazzina??!?!??!