Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kalman posted:

The linked lock doesn't appear to support Bluetooth. You sure you have the right one?

(Not aware of simple ways to integrate Bluetooth into a home automation setup.)

Oops, sorry. More like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01N3...HxVL&ref=plSrch

I get Bluetooth probably won't integrate well. I think the best case would be to run IFTTT on it through my phone connecting to it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm reading up on smart locks, what's the best one? I have a Google Home, ecobee thermostat, and that it's.

I just got an August smart lock this weekend and it's fantastic. Can't speak to the integration with google, but on the HomeKit network it works very well.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.brilliant.tech/

This looks pretty drat cool, starts at $199, HD color touch screen, video intercom, Alexa built in, supports Sonos, SmartThings and Wink

If the reviews of this turn out well I think I'm going to replace my Wink Relays with this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm reading up on smart locks, what's the best one? I have a Google Home, ecobee thermostat, and that it's. I'd like to get a Smartthings hub, and then something that can be locked via voice, like I tell the Google Home "Lock my doors" and it does it. Also I like the Kevo touch to lock, but I don't think it has any integration right?

Kevo links with Nest but not any voice controls. Not sure I'd want voice controlled locks. You can set it to automatically lock after a certain amount of time. I'm really happy with it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

https://www.brilliant.tech/

This looks pretty drat cool, starts at $199, HD color touch screen, video intercom, Alexa built in, supports Sonos, SmartThings and Wink

If the reviews of this turn out well I think I'm going to replace my Wink Relays with this.

Very cool. That's what I had mentioned last month as a good product. I thought Amazon needed to make an Echo Dot in a single gang outlet form factor.

Looks like someone was already working on it and then some.

So does this work with a smart hub to control or is the smart hub built into it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Beta testers needed for smart LED lights if you have a wink or smart things hub. Figured I'd post here, I've done a few tests through them and you usually get to keep the product at the end.

https://www.betabound.com/led-smart-lighting-private-beta/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is a smartthings connected physical light switch connected to "dumb" LED lights a good way to set things up ? I don't need colour changing. I do want dimmable pot lights that can be controlled via plex or a remote such as a harmony hub.

If so, which switches seem to be the least headache ? Must work as a normal light switch if something goes wrong with the automation system.

Also, which deadbolt lock is the best ? I have Nest and plan on buying a smartthings hub, and a google home speaker.

Violator
May 15, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I'm doing this as well, though after my last experience with smarthome stuff I'm doing switches only (anything that doesn't fail gracefully to "as good as normal" gets frustrating fast). I got my first test in-wall switch wired last night and it's loving fantastic with the Echo, and I'm doing a bunch more tonight.

My one issue is that Lutro seems to not be great at three-way switches (circuits where you have two switches in different places controlling the lights) - all the instructions I'm finding tell me, in essence, "just deactivate one of the switches and replace it with a remote to the other switch!" which I'm not interested in doing (because of the whole failing gracefully thing). And since my house already has a number of those, I'm looking to make it work with what's already there. Anyone else solved this problem?

That's what I've been trying to figure out, too. I've got 3 three-way switches and I really want to get those ironed out before dropping the cash for the Lutron ecosystem. I don't want to setup a half dozen rooms with smart light switches and then find out I can't do the remaining three-way switches reliably. I'm not entirely against using a remote as a second switch, though.

I did upgrade a couple of my lamps that aren't connectable to wall switches to Hue and I'm astounded how good they are. It's a huge upgrade over my old setup and everything happens instantly. Super impressed with the performance, integration with iOS, and the Siri support.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Kevo links with Nest but not any voice controls. Not sure I'd want voice controlled locks.

I want to be able to lock and query status with voice, but not unlock I think.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Violator posted:

That's what I've been trying to figure out, too. I've got 3 three-way switches and I really want to get those ironed out before dropping the cash for the Lutron ecosystem. I don't want to setup a half dozen rooms with smart light switches and then find out I can't do the remaining three-way switches reliably. I'm not entirely against using a remote as a second switch, though.

I did upgrade a couple of my lamps that aren't connectable to wall switches to Hue and I'm astounded how good they are. It's a huge upgrade over my old setup and everything happens instantly. Super impressed with the performance, integration with iOS, and the Siri support.

After a lot of googling today I found this: http://www.casetawireless.com/Documents/0301710a_Caseta%20Advanced%20Inst.pdf (for some loving reason there's two different versions of this, and one doesn't list how to do a mechanical switch + lutron so I passed over this a bunch of times before finally reading it).

It looks like you can pull it off as long as you only replace one switch and keep the other as a mechanical on/off switch, which is obviously fine as you only need one internet switch. However, you can only use some of the switches as three-ways - specifically, the normal dimmer (~$55) does not work and you have to use the expensive (~$90) dimmer or a plain on/off one.

It appears like it's more work though than just dropping in the new switch where the old one was as you need to tinker with the wiring of the other switch too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Hue) So do I need a separate app to do color / music synching for the color lights?

Yeah. I have used Hue Disco and it worked but I just basically did it to see if it worked and haven't tried it since.

I do use the camera to match tv/color fairly regularly and while the app for that needs a ton of work as far as meeting basic quality standards for a 2017 app, it does do the job of syncing the lights with your television.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2017

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

evilweasel posted:

I'm doing this as well, though after my last experience with smarthome stuff I'm doing switches only (anything that doesn't fail gracefully to "as good as normal" gets frustrating fast). I got my first test in-wall switch wired last night and it's loving fantastic with the Echo, and I'm doing a bunch more tonight.

My one issue is that Lutro seems to not be great at three-way switches (circuits where you have two switches in different places controlling the lights) - all the instructions I'm finding tell me, in essence, "just deactivate one of the switches and replace it with a remote to the other switch!" which I'm not interested in doing (because of the whole failing gracefully thing). And since my house already has a number of those, I'm looking to make it work with what's already there. Anyone else solved this problem?

If you're willing to go with GE instead of Lutro they offer add on switches for this exact scenario: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Bluetooth-Wireless-Lighting-12723/dp/B00RKJS8MQ

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
If you do the keep the mechanical 3 way, you need to use the neutral required Caseta switch, the PD-6ANS. I have this exact setup for one of my 3ways and it works well. I also have a dimmer + remote 3 way setup, tied one side together with a wirenut and put the remote plate over. All the Lutron stuff has been rock solid. I'm looking at a plug-in lamp dimmer for one room and another wall dimmer for a chandelier in my dining room.

Edit: also, their support is good. I've called them a couple times with questions, pre and post install, and for the 6ANS switch I installed: I scraped the face a little after installation and ask if they sold replacements, they are sending me a replacement switch and asking me to send the old one back. No credit card or the like.

Also, I use the Smart Bridge via a Vera Plus controller.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 9, 2017

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
What are the recommended LED bulbs for quality dimming? I have one of those sunrise alarm clocks, which is great, but now with the current tech, it seems like I should be able to turn any lamp into one, and I want to do that in my daughters room. My preference is to do it with a dumb bulb hooked up to a smart switch (I have some Insteon stuff already). I have a bunch of dimmable LED's but they don't do a good job of going really dim, I would say they don't dim below about 20%, and I would like a decent bulb that can dim smoothly all the way down.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My hues go pretty drat dim when I adjust them by single percentages?

tk505
Oct 30, 2011
Hello all,

My wife recently got me an Amazon Echo Dot as a present. Little did she know that I'd then commence planning to spend 100s on a home automation system...

...However my researching has led me to be a bit overwhelmed by the choice that's out there now. I've made a plan and I think it's good, but I reach out to you kind souls to let me know what you think.

I've copy pasta'd the plan I wrote myself while researching below.

quote:

Mission Statement
To automate the home in actually useful ways as well as some fun ways while maintaining future adaptability for upgrades.

Considerations
DO have the ability to control all must have features via voice commands
DO use Alexa, but try not to tie into that exclusively if possible
DO keep the system modular, try not to get restricted to one brand (ie, HIVE is also a hub, so if I want to change my heating control Ill have to also change my hub, limiting my options)

Specific Must Have Goals
Voice Control frontroom main light with colour changing bulb
Voice Control frontroom desk lamp with basic white light
Voice Control Bedroom light with basic white light
Voice Control turning a heated blanket on for X minutes.
Voice Control turning on lights & electric heater in garden room (man cave) from house

Specific Nice To Have Goals
Voice control & app control heating
Man Cave lighting presets with mixed colour and white lights, preferably voice controlled.
Video camera doorbell
Smart lock for front porch
Bedroom light fades on slowly at a set time each morning.
Control TV/AV as much as possible (turning everything on/off as a start but controlling HDMI-switcher would be a blast too)
Home IP security cameras, inside and out. 5 cameras max.

Hardware Idea

House:
1 Philips Bridge & 2 Philips white bulb starter kit (60)
1 Philips colour bulb (50)
1 Belkin WeMo smart switch (for electric blanket) (30)
1 Additional Echo Dot (50)
1 Nest / Ecobee3 (200)
Harmony Remote Control ???
Camera & door lock ???

Total: 390 + ???

Man Cave (Actual building still under construction, ~20meters from house but will be networked with own wifi AP, ETA this summer
1 Philips Bridge & 2 Philips white bulb starter kit (60)
2 Phillips white bulbs (30)
2 Phillips colour bulbs (100)
1 Belkin WeMo smart switch (for space heater) (30)
1 Echo Dot (50)

Total: 290

What to people think? Will this work for what I want to achieve? Are there better/cheaper/more 'future proof' alternatives?

You may notice that there's no Hub mentioned in there. With the various items having their own Alexa compatible bridge, I'm thinking that right now I don't need one? Please let me know if I have that backwards.

I own my home and renovated it from scratch about 3 years ago, so while I can drill holes if necessary I really want to avoid chasing out walls for serious hard-wired solutions right now.

Any help, comments etc very welcome.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Well, I put in the order for the Control4 EA-3 and one of each remote. Cannot wait to get all programmy.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

tk505 posted:

Hello all,

My wife recently got me an Amazon Echo Dot as a present. Little did she know that I'd then commence planning to spend 100s on a home automation system...

...However my researching has led me to be a bit overwhelmed by the choice that's out there now. I've made a plan and I think it's good, but I reach out to you kind souls to let me know what you think.

I've copy pasta'd the plan I wrote myself while researching below.

What to people think? Will this work for what I want to achieve? Are there better/cheaper/more 'future proof' alternatives?

You may notice that there's no Hub mentioned in there. With the various items having their own Alexa compatible bridge, I'm thinking that right now I don't need one? Please let me know if I have that backwards.

I own my home and renovated it from scratch about 3 years ago, so while I can drill holes if necessary I really want to avoid chasing out walls for serious hard-wired solutions right now.

Any help, comments etc very welcome.

Have you considered using smart switches instead of smart bulbs?

I'm at the point of planning out an automated lighting system and I think Smart switches are the way to go. Because even if the system fails (wi-fi drops out etc...), at least the smart switches will fall back to being dumb switches. Also for guests who don't know the voice commands, can just use the wall switches.

tk505
Oct 30, 2011

Slash posted:

Have you considered using smart switches instead of smart bulbs?

I'm at the point of planning out an automated lighting system and I think Smart switches are the way to go. Because even if the system fails (wi-fi drops out etc...), at least the smart switches will fall back to being dumb switches. Also for guests who don't know the voice commands, can just use the wall switches.

I think the reason I was focusing on bulbs is they're easier to install. My main room is a 3-way switch which I've read causes issues with smart switches, so I'd need a bulb there. I guess I wanted to avoid mixing some bulbs and switches in one solution, but I guess that's doable.

One of the reasons I settled on Phillips Hue bulbs is that I read that they respond well to being quickly power cycled, returning to full brightness white if you turn it off and on at the wall.

I could use a smart switch for the bedroom light, however currently the bulb is one of the older energy saving bulbs, which I don't think supports dimming properly, so the bulb would need to be replaced anyway...

...Not sure what's for the best really. I'll have to have more a read into the smart switches to see if they're a better option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3-way switches work fine. I have 3 3-way and 1 4-way right now with the HomeSeer Z-wave ones, no problems at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tk505 posted:

I think the reason I was focusing on bulbs is they're easier to install. My main room is a 3-way switch which I've read causes issues with smart switches, so I'd need a bulb there. I guess I wanted to avoid mixing some bulbs and switches in one solution, but I guess that's doable.

One of the reasons I settled on Phillips Hue bulbs is that I read that they respond well to being quickly power cycled, returning to full brightness white if you turn it off and on at the wall.

I could use a smart switch for the bedroom light, however currently the bulb is one of the older energy saving bulbs, which I don't think supports dimming properly, so the bulb would need to be replaced anyway...

...Not sure what's for the best really. I'll have to have more a read into the smart switches to see if they're a better option.

Honestly I think you're making the better decision to go with bulbs. Bulbs are easier to replace, both now and in the future when that smart switch doesn't seem so smart anymore. They function well and like you said just default to being a light bulb when turned on or off. When you move, they're trivial to take with you. I can't think of a single way that having the brains in the switch is better than having them in the bulb, especially when you factor in that feeling you get when you walk into an old house and see the intercom system that was installed in the 70s installed in one of the walls.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Responsiveness when the switch is powered off is a big one.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Put bulbs in floor lamps and the like, switches on fixtures.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I did bulbs because all of our bedroom lighting is in ceiling fans so the switch doesnt work well for that. It has been completely fine for me. Also like you said, worst case is you flip the switch down and up and they light right up.

Unless you are renting the place out on airbnb or have frequent visitors every single week who cant comprehend how to work voice control or toggling a switch youll be fine.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Subjunctive posted:

3-way switches work fine. I have 3 3-way and 1 4-way right now with the HomeSeer Z-wave ones, no problems at all.

Just looked at these cause of your post, looks like a good system. So you use 1 spot in the 3 way for a smart switch and then the cheaper add on ones int he others? Are you using one of the Homeseer Hubs? How do you like them?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I think you're making the better decision to go with bulbs. Bulbs are easier to replace, both now and in the future when that smart switch doesn't seem so smart anymore. They function well and like you said just default to being a light bulb when turned on or off. When you move, they're trivial to take with you. I can't think of a single way that having the brains in the switch is better than having them in the bulb, especially when you factor in that feeling you get when you walk into an old house and see the intercom system that was installed in the 70s installed in one of the walls.

What additional functionality do you think they are going to add to smart switches? You think they are going to do something other than dim and turn on and off? Installing and replacing a light switch is hardly a burden. With smart bulbs the switch has to remain on all the time, turning it of means you now have a manual system. As far as a 70's intercom you know that smart switches look exactly like standards switches, right? I mean some have a tiny light on them but besides that no one would be able to tell that it is a smart switch.

If you own your home and aren't planning on moving for a few years there is absolutely no case where a smart bulb is more desirable than a smart switch.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LastInLine posted:

The bulb stops being smart if you hit the light switch. The problem is the interaction between using the 'smart' and 'dumb' system with anything but switches leads to the system breaking for one or the other. With smart bulbs, using the wall switch breaks the 'smart' nature of the bulbs. With a wall plug, using the 'smart' turnoff breaks the 'dumb' turn-on. With switches, both the smart and the dumb settings always work. And that's a big deal - you miss those sort of usability things when you initially set up the system but once its all set up it gets irritating quickly. And it's not just guests that will use the switches, you will too: there's plenty of times you'd rather just hit the switch that's right next to you. With voice control that's less common than older smartphone systems where pulling out your phone could be as much if not more work, but it's still a thing. And it's especially a thing if anyone ever visits.

It's not hard to install the switches - at least, the Lutron single-switch dimmers I've been installing. By far the most time-consuming part of them for me was that my circuit breaker box wasn't labeled. You cut the power to the switch (while the light is on, so you know it went off), then you use a voltage tester ($30 bucks on amazon, you stick it near the switch and it lights up if there's any power near the switch, completely idiot-proof), then you unscrew the old switch and screw in the new one. Piece of cake. The switch is going to last longer than the bulb and it's not like switches are going to fundamentally change anytime soon: on, off, dimmer. You might want to update them to whatever is fashionable or cool in 5 years or whatever, but they'll look as good or better than your current mechanical ones.

The only reason to consider bulbs would be if it's a wall lamp (smart plugs are a pain in the loving rear end and much more prone to getting in an irritating situation where manual is broken or you flipped the manual to off and now nothing works) or you really want the color.

tk505
Oct 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

If you own your home and aren't planning on moving for a few years there is absolutely no case where a smart bulb is more desirable than a smart switch.

What if you want a colour changing bulb? Can a smart switch handle this if you get a compatible bulb? I'm honestly asking... also wondering what the cost difference would be.

quote:

The only reason to consider bulbs would be if it's a wall lamp (smart plugs are a pain in the loving rear end and much more prone to getting in an irritating situation where manual is broken or you flipped the manual to off and now nothing works) or you really want the color.

Well I think that answers that. I am leaning towards smart switches now. Another bucket load of research coming my way! Will looks at Lutron to start.

tk505 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lutron seems to have a weird setup where the bottom half of the switch turns everything on and off without using the top

Looking at GE myself as they look/behave like regular paddles.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

tk505 posted:

What if you want a colour changing bulb? Can a smart switch handle this if you get a compatible bulb? I'm honestly asking... also wondering what the cost difference would be.

Yes, the work fine, your smart hub will know that the two are interconnected when you set it up. I actually have 4 smart bulbs because I put in 2 Wink Relays which have light switches but not dimmers, they work perfectly fine together, the hub knows that for on/off to use the smart switch, for dimming to use the bulb and that the smart switch has to be on to control the dimming.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Three Olives posted:

Yes, the work fine, your smart hub will know that the two are interconnected when you set it up. I actually have 4 smart bulbs because I put in 2 Wink Relays which have light switches but not dimmers, they work perfectly fine together, the hub knows that for on/off to use the smart switch, for dimming to use the bulb and that the smart switch has to be on to control the dimming.

I think I follow what you are saying, but, can you control the actual color from a switch? Or is the set up: works like a normal light/bulb from the switch, move to smartphone for more advanced features like color?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't see anyone using colour functions from a wall very often unless you're trying to host EDM parties in your living room to get into the pants of doped up 16 year olds. The colour temp you choose is a set and forget kind of thing, and any sort of automated colour temp change would be scripted through the software.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

emocrat posted:

I think I follow what you are saying, but, can you control the actual color from a switch? Or is the set up: works like a normal light/bulb from the switch, move to smartphone for more advanced features like color?

Yes. Jesus Christ I need to do the effort post to show you how it can be done.

jonathan posted:

I can't see anyone using colour functions from a wall very often unless you're trying to host EDM parties in your living room to get into the pants of doped up 16 year olds. The colour temp you choose is a set and forget kind of thing, and any sort of automated colour temp change would be scripted through the software.

Color temp changes through the day. You're right on the scripting times to match color temp.

The switch changing colors is a pretty limited use case. Double tapping the light switch to go half brightness at night could be useful? I use a redder color at night as part of a simulated nightlight but I use an app because I don't need it for guests to be able to control from a wall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

emocrat posted:

Just looked at these cause of your post, looks like a good system. So you use 1 spot in the 3 way for a smart switch and then the cheaper add on ones int he others? Are you using one of the Homeseer Hubs? How do you like them?

That's what I do, yeah. I use a SmartThings hub, which I would give a 7/10.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

50% of the switches in my house control multiple lights. Cost of one switch vs cost of multiple smart bulbs. Smart switches can look exactly the same as the rest of the switches in your house.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What is the brightest Philips hue bulb? I have a lamp with a 1800 lumen LED globe light from ikea, and I'd like to replace it with a smart bulb, but I don't know if there's any as bright.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The plain white bulbs are 840 lumens, the white ambiance and color bulbs are 800 max.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The plain white bulbs are 840 lumens, the white ambiance and color bulbs are 800 max.

ugh.

so i have a weird issue that maybe is related.

I have this ceiling fan:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Daylesford-52-in-LED-Indoor-Oiled-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-SW1478ORB/205547382

The LED light is a little dim, I don't mind that, but the weird thing is that at night, if sort of makes the room like everyone is leaving trails behind. Having even a small light on mitigates the effect. But in general LED ceiling fans are pretty terrible and I'd have preferred to get a non-built in LED fan now that I know how they look, but it's too late to return it.

I've taken to leaving the ceiling fan off and just using the lamp, which that bulb, but it's really bright. It was in a much larger room at my other house so it wasn't so bad but in my smaller living room it's brutal. I figure I'll replace it with a smart bulb, since it's a floor lamp, and I don't think the bulb is dimmable.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The other dumb, but unavoidable, thing with smart bulbs is that they are designed to light if they start receiving power after a period of not receiving power. This enables them to be switched like normal, but guess what happens if you have a power outage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If power outages are common enough that such behavior is a major issue, I feel bad for you.