Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GotLag posted:

It runs fine on my GTX 750, except for some framerate drops in the clockwork mansion.

Impossible. I couldn't get anywhere near 1080p/60 even on lowest settings even with with Adaptive Resolution on.
What do you count as "fine" exactly? 720p/30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For a stealth game framerate doesn't matter too much, so I'd say the fact I could get 20fps on my creaky old 770 at 1080 and high/medium settings was "fine."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Framerate's pretty important if you want to kick people in the dick while sliding along though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Framerate's pretty important if you want to kick people in the dick while sliding along though.

Which incidentally is the best technique, because you can slide kill/stun anyone anytime. It works extra well with that Reflex slowmo skill that slows down time every time you get spotted.

Also Goooood, I cannot stand playing anything below at least 45 fps. Let alone below 30.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sindai posted:

For a stealth game framerate doesn't matter too much, so I'd say the fact I could get 20fps on my creaky old 770 at 1080 and high/medium settings was "fine."

did you get retinal replacements from a 90 year old because holy poo poo 20fps would drive me absolutely bonkers

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jack Trades posted:

Which incidentally is the best technique, because you can slide kill/stun anyone anytime. It works extra well with that Reflex slowmo skill that slows down time every time you get spotted.

Also Goooood, I cannot stand playing anything below at least 45 fps. Let alone below 30.

The first time I played through I pretty much ignored that skill totally, but yea, when I replayed it was revolutionary. Also with a 4x bonecharm of rear end slide speed.

I think it's my favourite game of all time, second only to the original Deus Ex. Looking forward to DLC.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well it is if you want to do it from 0 run up; I tried recording an ironman semi-speed run and the timing was thrown out so much just by the recording.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Judging by the last few pages I gather the PC port of this is still kinda broken? I've got a 960, i5 and 8gb of ram. I haven't come across a game yet that I can't play on high-ultra settings and I'm the kind of person that won't notice much difference between 30 and 60 fps. I'm still pretty leery of this given the steam review comments.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Judging by the last few pages I gather the PC port of this is still kinda broken? I've got a 960, i5 and 8gb of ram. I haven't come across a game yet that I can't play on high-ultra settings and I'm the kind of person that won't notice much difference between 30 and 60 fps. I'm still pretty leery of this given the steam review comments.

You can play 1080p/30fps on medium-high, no problems.
You won't be able to get anywhere near close to 60 fps though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That doesn't fill me with confidence. Does it have ongoing patches? I think I'll wait until it's a little more optimized.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That doesn't fill me with confidence. Does it have ongoing patches? I think I'll wait until it's a little more optimized.

It had two patches so far but I wouldn't hold my breath for any more optimizations. It seems like they've done all they could/are-willing-to-do already.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

You might be alright. It seems pretty hit or miss and two people with the same set-up can report wildly different performance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The game runs fine on ps4 🤗

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was never broken for me at all, I had about three crashes to desktop over ~35 hours on the beta patch channel with the latest patch and the one before, no performance issues.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

orcane posted:

It was never broken for me at all, I had about three crashes to desktop over ~35 hours on the beta patch channel with the latest patch and the one before, no performance issues.

Sorry but saying "works fine for me" is pretty useless to everyone else without any kind of hard data like computer specs, resolution, quality and specific framerates that you're playing on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The difference in visual fidelity between low and high doesn't seem all that big to me, though I only played around with low/medium for a while when I first got the game. On an ancient 2500k, 12 gigs of RAM and a 6gb 1060 it was absolutely fine and totally playable on 1080p Very High with dynamic resolution off. It ran at 60fps most of the time, only dropping to the mid-40s in a few complicated outdoor scenes (usually where I was perched somewhere high looking over big swathes of a city; it was fine down at street level).

A quirk of the recent idtech engines (from which Void is derived) and the way they stream their gigantic textures means that if you quickly see a large new scene (like going from inside to outside) there'll be a frame-rate drop as the engine streams a bunch of those huge textures into VRAM. Rage had the same problem but it's less noticeable in Dishonored 2 and wasn't really a problem for me since it lasts less than a second before the fps counter goes back up to 60.

Just buy it, you'll be fine and it's a good game. You have a two-hour Steam refund window. That's enough time to finish the first mission unless you're a massive OCD completionist and if the game runs OK at the start of the second mission (which is the first one in Karnaca) you'll be fine for the rest of the game.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 13, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jack Trades posted:

Sorry but saying "works fine for me" is pretty useless to everyone else without any kind of hard data like computer specs, resolution, quality and specific framerates that you're playing on.

and on that note, there's a big difference between an lynnfield i5-750 and a sandy bridge i5-2500k. And, for that matter, between a sandy bridge i5-2500k at 3.3 ghz and overclocked to 4.2 ghz.

The first one is unworkable, the second one should be fine. And this, despite it being released over 6 years ago!

Still not quite as nice as a Skylake or Kaby Lake i5, but anything Sandy Bridge and up will do you fine. It's your GPU that'll cause you troubles with new AAA games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zephro posted:

On an ancient 2500k, 12 gigs of RAM and a 6gb 1060 it was absolutely fine and totally playable on 1080p Very High with dynamic resolution off. It ran at 60fps most of the time, only dropping to the mid-40s in a few complicated outdoor scenes (usually where I was perched somewhere high looking over big swathes of a city; it was fine down at street level).

Yeah, I got exactly the same numbers as you as soon as I upgraded to a GTX 1060, which I did specifically for Dishonored 2 (and it was worth it, for the record) because it was completely unplayable on my previous GTX 960.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To me "runs fine" just means it runs smoothly with no visible hangups or stuttering - which it does for my gtx970 and 16gb ram on high 1920x1080. Dunno about fps, can't spot a difference between 30 and 60 anyway even watching some of those comparison videos side by side.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I mostly meant technical issues, since I'm aware performance varies between people with even similar hardware, let alone stuff unlike my own computer (also, different preferences with regards to what effects I disable vs. what I want to set as high as possible, and what FPS I can tolerate - I still remember playing Q2 engine games at <20 fps because my Matrox video card which was good at D3D only had a godawful OpenGL wrapper).

I actually want to try it on my old Q9550 with GTX 960, but I don't have room to set it up right now.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 13, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The games that good it's definitely worth trying either way, even if the system is on the edge.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The games that good it's definitely worth trying either way, even if the system is on the edge.

:agreed:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just started this thing. I went with Corvo because of nostalgia, but it feels... hollow. Like the story really wants me to be playing Emily. I assume that won't go away and I should just switch to her?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Just started this thing. I went with Corvo because of nostalgia, but it feels... hollow. Like the story really wants me to be playing Emily. I assume that won't go away and I should just switch to her?
I would. Emily being protagonist makes a lot more sense. Good on them for having more content without making it paid dlc though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think Corvo was literally an afterthought, the game was made with Emily in mind. Her power set is also more interesting (not necessarily better) that Corvo's.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

do a first runthrough as emily then THRILL in ng+ as you combine her powers with the classic corvo moveset. domino plus shadow kill and watch as whole rooms of bad dudes vanish

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Avalerion posted:

I think Corvo was literally an afterthought, the game was made with Emily in mind. Her power set is also more interesting (not necessarily better) that Corvo's.

He power set is objectively better for non-lethal runs. Corvo doesn't have a way to efficiently deal with groups of enemies non-lethaly while Emily has her Domino + the overpowered Slide Knockout.

Corvo has more fun killing powers though IMO but that's subjective. I'll never get tired of spawning rat swarms of doom.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

His blink is better plus stop time is just op, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a bone charm that makes her move skill stealthy, which is cool. Not sure it's a guaranteed bone charm though, I hate that the stupid bone charm RNG returned. Crafting doesn't help me if I can't get the right one to "drop" to salvage the trait :argh:

Also, far reach lets you pull bodies taken out with sleep darts or domino, which can be useful.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 15, 2017

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

MikeJF posted:

For what it's worth, the story is nearly exactly the same for both characters. There's very little variation between the two so it mainly comes down to which character skill set you'd think you like more.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It just makes more sense having Emily learn she has actual responsibilities and open her eyes to what a lovely ruler she was.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Avalerion posted:

no.

corvo has a number of little injections into the game to show that he's a first class citizen - we learn an awful lot about his childhood in karnaca, how he managed to climb out of the gutters to become the ur-badass he is, a number of notes about his family beyond jessamine and emily, he's the only one who has definitive answers on a couple of minor plot points (like paolo's entire 'deal'), and a couple major characters (especially byrne and sokolov) have different reactions to him than they do to emily.

i can only imagine the reason people keep saying he's not is because the entire game revolves around the empress's seat rather than his personal revenge like it did in dis1. which would be fair if dis1 didn't also have the rule of the empire as one of its main macguffins. it's not true though, corvo has every right to be there beyond providing some kind of choice in protagonist and he tells a very different and equally interesting story as compared to emily. it's a little self-indulgent for people who have played dis1 first, but the cast of returning characters mean the entire game is to a large extent

tldr haters vacate, badass old man coming through

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Emily will forever be safe encased in marble. Let daddy take all the responsibilities.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wasn't it said in an interview that the original plan for the game was just corvo, and emily was suggested and added afterward

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there are just as many interviews about how the story that made it into the game was originally emily's story and corvo was added in later because it made good sense or something

the reality of the situation is this: the body of work and lore for a game is typically at least 3 or 4 times the body of work that actually makes it into a specific game. this is because writing is generally easy but making all of the assets, mechanics, etc to bring the writing to life is very hard. at one point shortly after ff8 came out nomura bragged offhandedly that square had scripts ready for final fantasies up to 25 if my memory serves me, to illustrate. most of those will probably never see the light of day because even if they're accepted most of them aren't really relevant before the ink's dry. even if your game is chiefly story driven, you can't have the story force you a corner when the technical realities hit.

i have very little doubt that there are dozens of alternate universe takes where delilah didn't even make it out of the painting and it was a new rogue's gallery tailored specifically to foil emily, and there are dozens of other takes where the void itself rises up and corvo has to bro down with the outsider in order to keep the literal warp from opening in emily's throne room.

really the biggest issue with Dis2 is that precisely because the story is flexible enough to handle both emily and corvo, neither fit like a glove into the role. emily ends up feeling inauthentic in half of the scenes because she's straight out too naive to puzzle out easily what is going on around her (but does anyway because it's a necessity), and corvo's motivation falls a little flat because it's so one note. it's a little jarring from dis1 where the entire story was built specifically around giving corvo multiple reasons to do everything, which sweeps the player up in his story.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jack Trades posted:

He power set is objectively better for non-lethal runs. Corvo doesn't have a way to efficiently deal with groups of enemies non-lethaly while Emily has her Domino + the overpowered Slide Knockout.

Corvo has more fun killing powers though IMO but that's subjective. I'll never get tired of spawning rat swarms of doom.

Stop Time is the most effective non-lethal power in the game. Run right past everyone and everything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Avalerion posted:

His blink is better plus stop time is just op, though.

Far Reach is way more fun than Blink if you're not going for a Ghost run. The yank 'n' shank will never get old, slingshotting ridiculous distances is a fun challenge, and Domino + Far Reach is always hilarious.

But yeah, Time Stop is OP. I always have it maxed out and bound to a hotkey in NG+ because it's the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free panic button.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GotLag posted:

Stop Time is the most effective non-lethal power in the game. Run right past everyone and everything.

Yes and no. Stop Time is way better for running past everything but it's way worse if you actually want to loot everything in which case it's easier to take everyone down with Domino and have as much time as you need to scour the whole map for goodies.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally does anyone know if there are different unique ending segments for doing No Powers/Ghost/No Kills?
Also, I saved Hypatia in my second run and at some point she left a letter telling me that she'll send me something using a courier, what was it? Because I think I missed it.

You probably didn't. It's a Rune on the desk in Emily's room aboard the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Avalerion posted:

It just makes more sense having Emily learn she has actual responsibilities and open her eyes to what a lovely ruler she was.

Yeah, I think my ~*~*head cannon*~*~ will probably be no-powers medium-chaos Emily for Dishonored 2 (smart enough to avoid the Outsider's gift but at the cost of being a little clumsy and forced to kill), a clean-hands Daud seeking redemption, and a low-chaos Corvo.

I'm really looking forward to whatever story DLC there is, because if we get to play as Billie Lurk, it's gonna be a murderhouse.

• Locked thread