Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technosexual
Dec 21, 2010

A SHITTY J4G

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Is it weird that I've only gotten my Braxton hicks while sleeping? I wake up with my whole stomach hard and it hurts so I'll roll over or whatever and wait for it to pass but it sounds like BH and it's never happened during the day

I remember that with my first pregnancy I first noticed it happening while I was laying in bed; this time, though, I've been getting them since December, or so, and a lot of standing/moving tends to trigger them, but, I also get them when I'm just being a lazy lard.

Braxton Hicks contractions seem to be one of those things that a lot of women experience differently in pregnancy; some ladies notice them earlier, some later, some more frequently than others, and some even tend not to notice having any at all. Some ladies aren't really sure whether they're having them because they don't know what it's supposed to feel like; in my experience, Braxton Hicks feel like your uterus is shrink wrapping your baby, causing your stomach to become as hard as a rock, and making it feel like you've literally swallowed a bowling ball. In my case, they could cause quite a bit of discomfort, and could even border on being painful due to the tightness. Eventually, they can become accompanied by mild to moderate period-like cramping, however, it's nothing to worry about when they're just random. Getting off of your feet, drinking water, or taking a warm bath are the only things I've ever been told or read about that is supposed to help with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

My BH contractions (at least I think it's what they are, I'm 35 weeks and first pregnancy so I have no idea what I'm doing), just kinda feel like there's pressure at the bottom of my pelvis. They usually feel better if I sit or lie down.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I am drinking a (decaf) coffee and it is pure freaking ambrosia. I've been caffeine free since my NVP kicked in, and my regular Tetley habit was squelched after the NVP ended, because it now tastes funny to me ( :( ) but I am really happy that I remembered decaf coffee exists, and even happier that it isn't messed up by whatever is making tea taste off to me. :coffeepal:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'll allow myself an occasional mocha. Usually decaf but some days I just...would not have gone without losing my mind and those times were bliss

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I allow myself one cup of coffee with milk every morning. I wouldn't survive without it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh my god. Mood swings. Why. Help.

I keep having crying fits. I was furious with my husband this morning, crying. Had to go to Home Depot on Sunday, couldn't find what I needed, crying.

And I keep pushing my husband to do certain things to help bond with the baby. Ie: touch my stomach, talk to baby, start referring to baby as their sex and not just "baby" (he struggled with some sex disappointment). I bookmarked the chapter for dads in What to Expect. Does he actually do any of this? No! I've said this is a really important time and it's not just to help him, but it helps me to feel supported during my time being pregnant as well.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I know he's not feeling really into reading stuff but man, my husband was feeling a little disconnected and uninvolved in the pregnancy and birth til he read The Birth Partner then everything totally changed. He was like my prenatal doula after that.

Mood swings are normal but hard :(

And as for coffee, unless you actually feel like it's doing something to upset your body during pregnancy, it's okay to have one or two cups even. Up to 400mg. That's like, 3-4 red bulls. I'm not suggesting you should start inhaling all the red bull or coffee or straight up caf powder but you can have coffee, don't make yourself crazy or reduce your quality of life for something that has no impact vOv

cailleask
May 6, 2007

And I keep pushing my husband to do certain things to help bond with the baby. Ie: touch my stomach, talk to baby, start referring to baby as their sex and not just "baby" (he struggled with some sex disappointment). I bookmarked the chapter for dads in What to Expect. Does he actually do any of this? No! I've said this is a really important time and it's not just to help him, but it helps me to feel supported during my time being pregnant as well.

It sucks that he isn't being more supportive. If it helps you feel better, my husband was pretty disconnected with my first pregnancy, but he was super into my daughter once she was born. I've heard it's common for dads to have a tough time getting excited about the pregnancy since they can't really participate.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

husband to do certain things to help bond with the baby.

It was very revealing in our birthing class when we split up guys/girls and listed our concerns for the pregnancy/baby. Almost everything on the ladies' side was health related, before and after, i.e. no complications, healthy baby, being able to take care of a newborn. The guys' list was completely different: getting the nursery ready in time, providing for the kid long term, being able to take off work at the right time, worried about taking care of both wife and baby if delivery didn't go smoothly.

Basically your hubby is probably as much in a baby mindset as you are, but he may just be worried about completely different things, so he's going to figure out a way to deal with impending fatherhood in different ways than you might think.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Even if you feel it's life-or-death important, that still doesn't necessarily make it easy to acclimatize oneself to the idea of parenthood. Even if you planned for a baby and ostensibly wanted to have the child, until you have one I don't think anyone can say they really understood what's involved. And even these early stages may be overwhelming, particularly facing that giant unknown. Try to remember you can't read his mind and that just because he's reluctant to talk to your belly and slips up referring to your baby by the sex, doesn't mean he doesn't want to be the father+your partner in all of this. There's not a One Correct Way to do this, so take a breather and go easy on yourselves. It's a huge thing, and takes time. Fwiw I have faith it'll come though, if it happened for us I imagine it would for anyone.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
We're coming up to 3 months with our little guy, he's doing really well and finally I think my partner is getting to enjoy and appreciate fatherhood now that Kit is smiling and responsive to him more than he has been. Especially if you are breastfeeding, the baby is so dependant on you for food that poor old dad probably feels a bit sidelined.

Hang in there, the first few months are weird as hell and emotional in all sorts of ways I'd never anticipated. The worst thing I am going through at the moment is a horrible low level tinnitus which I am hoping can be cured because it is driving me crazy. It started during my pregnancy and hasn't gone, I loving hope it is weight related or something so at least I can do something about it. It's really putting a damper on motherhood at the moment. :(

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Want to preface this that I hope to god it doesn't sound like mansplaining.

When my wife was pregnant I had a very hard time relating to my soon to be son. I avoided the belly pretty ferociously, and hardly ever said boy, or baby out loud. For me a lot of the trouble was that my wife suffered pretty bad hyperemesis, which took my normally very strong and active wife and basically slammed her into bed for months. This kicked in a ton of guilt on my part, because I could not help her get better, and well it was kinda my fault. So between that, and also constantly fretting out if I'd make a good dad, and how our finances would cope with a single income, the pregnancy was very mentally challenging for me.

Lot of guys like me also tend to think that if we don't say anything is wrong, than we are being strong and not burdening our spouse. Of course all this really does is make us look standoffish and disinterested!

Needless to say this all completely changed when our son was born. Now it's all baby, all the time, and god it is a magical experience.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Through a series of events, I recently learned that counterfeit baby products, specifically Ergobaby carriers, is a huge problem, and find myself in possession of one of them (confirmed by Ergobaby customer service to indeed be a fake).

I got it free from a friend who also bought it secondhand, so I'm not concerned at all about that aspect of it, but now that I have it, what the hell do I do with it?

I know some people would have no issues with knowingly using a knockoff (I am not one of those people), but I worry that if I pass it on to anyone else with the information that it is counterfeit, that it may later end up again in the hands of an unsuspecting mother who's child may end up injured because this thing hasn't had any sort of safety testing.

Should I write in permanent marker on it that it's counterfeit so no one can accidentally be swindled by it? Should I just destroy it?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I want to thank everyone for the great advice. It's sooooo helpful and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has felt that way. SpaceCadetBob it wasn't mansplaining at all, it was especially helpful to get that perspective :)

He's going to be a great dad and I know it, I think sometimes on the days I'm feeling particularly emotional I need to take a step back and take inventory for what I'm thankful for and how great a partner he really is

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dogfish, you don't have PMs, can you gmail me at jlaney?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Through a series of events, I recently learned that counterfeit baby products, specifically Ergobaby carriers, is a huge problem, and find myself in possession of one of them (confirmed by Ergobaby customer service to indeed be a fake).

I got it free from a friend who also bought it secondhand, so I'm not concerned at all about that aspect of it, but now that I have it, what the hell do I do with it?

I know some people would have no issues with knowingly using a knockoff (I am not one of those people), but I worry that if I pass it on to anyone else with the information that it is counterfeit, that it may later end up again in the hands of an unsuspecting mother who's child may end up injured because this thing hasn't had any sort of safety testing.

Should I write in permanent marker on it that it's counterfeit so no one can accidentally be swindled by it? Should I just destroy it?

I would cut the straps off & trash it. The counterfeit carriers aren't tested, so they could fail, which would be really awful.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

GoreJess posted:

I would cut the straps off & trash it. The counterfeit carriers aren't tested, so they could fail, which would be really awful.

That's definitely what I'm leaning towards, I would feel too guilty with anything else. Technically I suppose it still sort of belongs to the friend who gave it to me, so I feel obligated to ask her if it's ok if I trash it before I actually do.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I found the culprit to my insomnia: taking my prenatal before bed!
I decided to do a little experiment because I slept through the whole night the last three nights, and then realized I hadn't taken my prenatal before bed like usual.
I switched from taking it during the day because for some reason it started making me really nauseous. I've been taking this brand since about three months before I got pregnant but it just suddenly started hitting me with an overwhelming urge to throw up shortly after taking it.
Case closed!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Well poo poo. We've gotten into the habit of letting the little Adasaurus fall asleep on our chest and now we're hosed because she'll barely sleep in her bed (packnplay in our room right now). I was all for her going to her room early but that hasn't happened. She's the loudest squeakiest sleeper in the world so it's hard to sleep with her in the room. So many of my wonderful plans went to poo poo, as parenting seems to go - light all your plans on fire. She wont latch so I'm attached to the pump a bunch and have had mastitis, and now we both have thrush. Whee.

Meanwhile she's getting chunk! 6lb 7.5oz from 4lb at birth and 19 inches long, from 16.5!

Any advice for breaking this habit of sleeping on us?!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We used a beanbag to maintain a slope with her hips below, and she slept on it until almost 1 year old, when she suddenly preferred sleeping​ face-down on a certain throw pillow.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Miranda posted:

Well poo poo. We've gotten into the habit of letting the little Adasaurus fall asleep on our chest and now we're hosed because she'll barely sleep in her bed (packnplay in our room right now). I was all for her going to her room early but that hasn't happened. She's the loudest squeakiest sleeper in the world so it's hard to sleep with her in the room. So many of my wonderful plans went to poo poo, as parenting seems to go - light all your plans on fire. She wont latch so I'm attached to the pump a bunch and have had mastitis, and now we both have thrush. Whee.

Meanwhile she's getting chunk! 6lb 7.5oz from 4lb at birth and 19 inches long, from 16.5!

Any advice for breaking this habit of sleeping on us?!

How old is she?

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

sheri posted:

How old is she?

5 weeks

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Habits don't even begin to start forming until like 3 months. Don't sweat what works for you now- just survive, man. You do what you gotta do.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I felt guilty too but yeah 5 weeks, enjoy the cuddles!!! Also, stick with the breastfeeding. ..it gets better. There is nothing quite as lovely as lying down with your baby next to you and being able to cuddle and feed and doze together. :3: (I am doing this right now..minus the dozing bit. Obv.)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Then time is the answer.

Sorry, I know that's a bit disheartening but she's brand new. Of course she wants to be close to you guys.

It will get better. I promise.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So my 2 month old has been having baby acne really bad since he was 2 weeks old. I noticed it got worse after I gave him a bath but I figured it was just because it dried his skin. I bought some Cetaphil baby wash and I tell you, it cleared up the next day and hasn't been back and his skin is back to soft and even toned and not red or splotchy. The difference was incredible. I guess he had a sensitivity to Aveeno. :( He's starting to get cradle cap now, though. Seems like if it's not one thing it's another!

To Miranda, my boy has just started being able to be set down for naps in the last week or so, and sometimes it's a matter of persistence to get him down (let him fall asleep on me, put him in the swing or rock and play, he'll wake up and fuss, repeat until he settles). He's better at night and we found that swaddling really helped a lot of our woes. We use a swaddleme at night - we started him in it at 5 weeks when he just wouldn't stay down no matter what unless he was on us. He hated it and fought it the first night for about 15 minutes, the second night for about 10 minutes, and then since then we swaddle him and he's able to be put down pretty easily and sleeps pretty good. Of course that's anecdotal, but you might try swaddling and see if it helps.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Thanks guys the reassurance really helps!
I think partly cos we had a rough start being in the NICU and she won't latch so we're not breastfeeding (I'm exclusively pumping and so far am dealing with the left boob loving up all the time because of a lumpectomy they think disfigured ducts...mastitis and now thrush...) So the snuggles is important and nice. Plus I go back to work in a few weeks. I think the thrush is making her gassy too.

Edit: forgot...it's not so much a schedule I know that's not likely yet. I do need to at least get her down the same time each night. We use the halo and a machine and have done since we got home. She is a super noisy sleeper too! All kinds of grunts and squeaks! It's hard to sleep!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2017

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I'm sure this hasn't been covered, but the search function hasn't found anything and I didn't see anything in the OP or the last 10 pages, so pardon my question: Is there a specific prenatal vitamin that someone could recommend or link us to? There's ten billion options out there and my wife doesn't know how to pick one.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Miranda posted:

Thanks guys the reassurance really helps!
I think partly cos we had a rough start being in the NICU and she won't latch so we're not breastfeeding (I'm exclusively pumping and so far am dealing with the left boob loving up all the time because of a lumpectomy they think disfigured ducts...mastitis and now thrush...) So the snuggles is important and nice. Plus I go back to work in a few weeks. I think the thrush is making her gassy too.

Edit: forgot...it's not so much a schedule I know that's not likely yet. I do need to at least get her down the same time each night. We use the halo and a machine and have done since we got home. She is a super noisy sleeper too! All kinds of grunts and squeaks! It's hard to sleep!

We used an Arm's Reach cosleeper for much of the first year. Sometimes just the scent of you being nearby can be enough to calm them down. Except at some point, they get too big for it and insist on crawling into bed with you every night.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

RFX posted:

I'm sure this hasn't been covered, but the search function hasn't found anything and I didn't see anything in the OP or the last 10 pages, so pardon my question: Is there a specific prenatal vitamin that someone could recommend or link us to? There's ten billion options out there and my wife doesn't know how to pick one.

I took platinum easymulti prenatal which is a one a day that was rated really well

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

RFX posted:

You've probably already done this, but it bears repeating: check with your GP/doctor before you start taking any prenatal supplements!

Our GP ran some preliminary blood tests (to check levels on various things, the two that ended up being particularly relevant for me was iron and Vitamin D) to see whether I was already in the normal range first, and then used the results to prescribe specific supplements and frequency. I'm currently on Elevit, Mylan Ferrograd C (iron supplements) and Ostelin Vitamin D. Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast Feeding Gold is the other popular prenatal here in Australia.

During your follow up antenatal appointments, you'll probably get other blood tests done. Your GP might adjust your prenatal supplements based on the results of those later blood tests as well. As an example, my iron supplements went from 1 tablet per day to 1 tablet every other day once it was clear my iron levels were up where they needed to be.

Moral of the story: check with your GP - they will be able to advise you of the appropriate dosage and also which brands are reputable.

(Also, if you're currently in the planning stage and haven't conceived yet, my GP said there are some male prenatal supplements too. While there's currently a lack of solid research findings demonstrating effectiveness, apparently if you want to take them in solidarity with your wife, you can do that.)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

RFX posted:

We did a lot of research and settled on the CVS 2-part prenatal+DHA. It was great. I'm still taking it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Has anyone heard from Dogfish? I've been thinking about her whenever I load up my bookmarks, and haven't seen any updates for a little while now here. Df if you're still reading feel free to email me at myusername.myusername at gmail, I'll add you on fb to the goon parents group if you're interested or whatever. I've been missing reading your posts! I'm always keen to make friends in the ob/gyn field considering my own line of work, and we were in agreement on lots of topics so far :) Perinatology.com's calculator tells me she should be about 27-28 weeks by now, hope it's going ok :ohdear:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Woof. I don't know how women who live in big cities that rely a ton on walking and public transport do it. Im out of town for work and my back and hips are just awful.

I also would like to know how dogfish is:shobon:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Woof. I don't know how women who live in big cities that rely a ton on walking and public transport do it. Im out of town for work and my back and hips are just awful.

It just really depends if you've won the public transport lottery. I'm fortunately located such that I have a bus that goes direct from home to work with about a 7 minute walk either end. I'm also fortunately located along the bus line such that I get on early enough to always get a seat on both legs of the journey. If the bus gets stuck or delayed, I also have a train line either side, with a longer walk to/from the train station in the morning (15 mins).

Without these factors, it really would suck with pregnancy fatigue. I didn't really have much of a bump until baby put on a bit of a growth spurt in the last 2 weeks so people kept thinking I just ate a lot, so nobody ever got up to offer a seat. Now, I'm quite obviously pregnant so it's not so much of an issue.

Still, I find these days that if we're spending a lot of time out and about, even with a car, I'll be really sore at the end of the day just from walking and standing around from errands. The last 2 weekends out house hunting have ended with me going to lie down as soon as I got home, because everything was sore.

Paging Dogfish - we miss your cool stories and insights...hope you're OK!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I've been thinking of her too - has she posted elsewhere? I'm not sure how to tell.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i wish to lay an egg

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Lay away, avshalom, lay away

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am focusing calcium in my ovaries with positive thoughts and a daily dose of slippery elm powder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Tracked my BH his evening after four days of near constant contractions. Used a tracking app, had 12 over the span of an hour lasting 1:40 on average with an average of 4:36 between them.
Midwife wants me to just take it very very easy this weekend, initially saying not to go to work on Monday but it's a holiday anyway so that's no issue.