Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It turns out Kratos was responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus.

man, I'd love to see the backlash to a QTE where you mash X to hammer the nails into Jesus's hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Baron Corbyn posted:

man, I'd love to see the backlash to a QTE where you mash X to hammer the nails into Jesus's hands.

You can keep going, too, and break his metacarpals. There's squishy noises.

Content: I'm loving how everything you do in Final Fantasy XV earns you XP. Talk to friends of your retinue? XP. Beat the poo poo out of a boss? XP. Prompto asks you to stop for a photo op? XP! It's neat, and makes the experience system feel more like a general "life experience" system than a "good at murder" system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

The money changers in the temple will be a lot more fun though

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a cold open
Jesus sits serenely in temple giving a sermon. Out the corner of his eye he sees some men setting up a table outside.

QTE prompt

(Oh and we already had buddhist-mishmash god of war in Asura's Wrath)

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Feb 8, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I guess El Shaddai is kind of that for, er, gnosticism

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So what I'm getting from this is that the God of War series is eventually going to stumble backwards into becoming Shin Megami Tensei.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that the God of War series is eventually going to stumble backwards into becoming Shin Megami Tensei.

The new game will have Kratos developing social links and attending high school.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a cold open
Jesus sits serenely in temple giving a sermon. Out the corner of his eye he sees some men setting up a table outside.

QTE prompt

(Oh and we already had buddhist-mishmash god of war in Asura's Wrath)

The thing I like about that story is that , when it's told, everyone assumes it's set in a Christian style Church due to it being a christian story, so in the minds eye is comes out that way, but thinking about it it was more likely a Synagogue that he threw the merchants/bankers out of. Christianity wasn't a thing yet, and he was jewish so it's most likely that that was the building the story was on about. It's just one of those things you don't really think about, like that the story of the Good Samaritan is possibly Jesus giving in to societal racism against ~those people~ and making a legend out of "One of the good ones"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing I like about that story is that , when it's told, everyone assumes it's set in a Christian style Church due to it being a christian story, so in the minds eye is comes out that way, but thinking about it it was more likely a Synagogue that he threw the merchants/bankers out of. Christianity wasn't a thing yet, and he was jewish so it's most likely that that was the building the story was on about. It's just one of those things you don't really think about, like that the story of the Good Samaritan is possibly Jesus giving in to societal racism against ~those people~ and making a legend out of "One of the good ones"

"Some of my friends are Samaritans!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywVlfTtlMY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess El Shaddai is kind of that for, er, gnosticism

And the conflict in Prince of Persia 2008 is Zoroastrianism.

pyf obscure religions in video games

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I think personally I'd prefer the image that Buddha's the one guy Kratos doesn't kill. He's either so chill that Kratos is incapable of having a beef with him, or so at peace that there's no point to it.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" is a koan, not meant to be taken literally. Something to do with destroying your external ideas of what it means to be a buddha, so you can strive towards becoming one yourself?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phy posted:

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" is a koan, not meant to be taken literally. Something to do with destroying your external ideas of what it means to be a buddha, so you can strive towards becoming one yourself?
the modern equivalent is "if you see Granos, call the police".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Q. Does a dog have the Granos nature?

A. Call Animal Control on the dog.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
One of my favorite little things in Simcopter is that you can help the city in any number of ways. Putting out fires, quelling riots, delivering sick people to the hospital, etc. One time, I landed on the roof of a police station to pick up a police officer and he said "I'm glad you're here because I need a lift, pronto. We just got a call about Granos"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Phy posted:

I always took it as 'Anyone with a Buddha nature is suffering by definition by remaining here on Earth, and so the merciful thing to do to a Buddha is to release them from their temporal shell.'

Probably a poo poo interpretation, though, IANAB.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

haveblue posted:

Does King of Dragon Pass count?

Because launching a law suit against a ghost and winning is always a favourite thing in games. Then there is a part where a troll (a kind of tall, grey skinned and heavily muscled creature) challenges you to a duel. Except if you accept it turns out to be an eating duel. And then you can win by having one of your clan members devour a whole horse.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

Does the Tribunal from Morrowind count? It's largely a bunch of semi-mystic sounding mumbo jumbo, but drat does it feel evocative.

The 36 Lessons of Vivec posted:

He was born in the ash among the Velothi, anon Chimer, before the war with the northern men. Ayem came first to the village of the netchimen, and her shadow was that of Boethiah, who was the Prince of Plots, and things unknown and known would fold themselves around her until they were like stars or the messages of stars. Ayem took a netchiman's wife and said:
'I am the Face-Snaked Queen of the Three in One. In you is an image and a seven-syllable spell, 'call the police on granos', which you will repeat to it until mystery comes.'
Then Ayem threw the netchiman's wife into the ocean water where dreughs took her into castles of glass and coral. They gifted the netchiman's wife with gills and milk fingers, changing her sex so that she might give birth to the image as an egg. There she stayed for seven or eight months.

Then Seht came to the netchiman's wife and said:
'I am the Clockwork King of the Three in One. In you is an egg of my brother-sister, who possesses invisible knowledge of words and swords, which you shall nurture until the Hortator comes.'
And Seht then extended his hands and multitudes of homunculi came forth, each like a glimmering rope through the water, and they raised the netchiman's wife back to the surface world and set her down on the shoals of Azura's coast. There she lay for seven or eight more months, caring for the egg-knowledge by whispering to it the Codes of Mephala and the prophecies of Veloth and even the forbidden teachings of Trinimac.

Seven Daedra came to her one night and each one gave to the egg new motions that could be achieved by certain movements of the bones. These are called the Barons of Move Like This. Then an eighth Daedroth came, and he was a Demiprince, called Fa-Nuit-Hen, or the Multiplier of Motions Known. And Fa-Nuit-Hen said:
'Whom do you wait for?'
To which the netchiman's wife said the Hortator.
'Go to the land of the Indoril in three months' time, for that is when war comes. I return now to haunt the warriors who fell and still wonder why. But first I show you this.'
Then the Barons and the Demiprince joined together into a pillar of fighting styles terrible to behold and they danced before the egg and its learning image.
'Look, little Vehk, and find the face behind the splendor of my bladed carriage, for in it is delivered the unmixed conflict path, perfect in every way. What is its number?'

It is said the number is the number of birds that can nest in an ancient tibrol tree, less three grams of honest work, but Vivec in his later years found a better one and so gave this secret to his people.
'For I have crushed a world with my left hand,' he will say, 'but in my right hand is how it could have won against me. Love is under my will only.'

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does the Tribunal from Morrowind count? It's largely a bunch of semi-mystic sounding mumbo jumbo, but drat does it feel evocative.

I see what you did there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oddly enough despite the gameplay being somewhat repetitive and the plot up to this point being non-existent I'm still finding myself drawn to God Eater 2, because I'm actually interested in the character arcs that everyone's going through, and it's finally got around to the most irritating characters, Romeo and Nana. Finally they are getting more context for their behaviour and it's actually fairly interesting characterisation. I think it helps that each mission is fairly short, never lasting more than 15-20 minutes up till now, so it has that "Fine, one more mission" kinda feel.

Also I finally got World of Final Fantasy and it's really cute despite Renn being really annoying. I just found and captured the Black Chocobo Chick behind the goblin camp :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Feb 8, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

The new game will have Kratos developing social links and attending high school.

This is all I want from any game.

Bloodborne update: Spent like 5 minutes killing things by rolling around unarmed and punching them before something managed to kill me. Turns out you get weapons if you die.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/cOP6Sjh.gifv

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

haveblue posted:

Planescape:Torment has 8 (I think) of these. One of them is reflected on the idea of complete chaos, and you can pick a fight with one of them by just silently staring them down when he barks at you. Another is so involved in the idea of death that they strive to find a death beyond death. Another is just that sensations, of any and every kind, help understand the universe. When you go to their hall you get to see a memory where a person debates someone out of existence. Literally just convinces the crowd (and the man himself) that he doesn't exist, and does it so well the guy blinks out of existence.

PS:T was super fun.

Keigel
Oct 19, 2008

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm made out of gum.
So Yakuza is one of those games where you spend EXP to upgrade your guy with new moves and abilities. Its also made a habit of having multiple playable characters; the problem being each one has to be leveled up from scratch. So the joy of "cool, a new dude to play as!" is always tempered with "ugh, back to grinding again. :("

In the new one (for the US anyway), Yakuza 0, you've probably unlocked about 1/3 of Dude A's skill tree by the time you're switched to Dude B, and the reminder of grinding sets in again. (:smith:)

But wait! Within that guy's first chapter, you'll encounter a sidequest whose fairly easy boss fight concievably nets you a cool 20-30 mil! Enough to catch him up to Dude A's progress in no time at all! :dance:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

And now I'm just laughing at the image of Kratos stuffed into a school uniform, sitting at a desk while that one guy talks about how much he loves balls.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nuebot posted:

And now I'm just laughing at the image of Kratos stuffed into a school uniform, sitting at a desk while that one guy talks about how much he loves balls.

Just getting more and more progressively pissed off, but he knows he can't kill the guy because he needs his help later so Kratos can pass his Trig exam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

"Gee, Kratos, I just don't know, maybe I should give up sports to help my family?"

1. MY FAMILY IS DEAD
2. ZEUUUUUUUUS
3. ....

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

One of my favorite little things in Simcopter is that you can help the city in any number of ways. Putting out fires, quelling riots, delivering sick people to the hospital, etc. One time, I landed on the roof of a police station to pick up a police officer and he said "I'm glad you're here because I need a lift, pronto. We just got a call about Granos"

I just want you to know this didn't go unappreciated

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

Just getting more and more progressively pissed off, but he knows he can't kill the guy because he needs his help later so Kratos can pass his Trig exam.

Press O to hug social link.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
I can't help but enjoy some of the little references they put in the game

I like the basement's setup in this one.

They got the style for CABLED and BIG WEAPONS down pat.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing I like about that story is that , when it's told, everyone assumes it's set in a Christian style Church due to it being a christian story,

what kind of severely disabled troglodyte thinks that the story about the money changers in the Second Temple of Jerusalem, featuring the living Christ as a character, is set in a christian church

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The same people who think Jesus was white and spoke english, I'd wager.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Action Tortoise posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
I can't help but enjoy some of the little references they put in the game

I like the basement's setup in this one.

They got the style for CABLED and BIG WEAPONS down pat.

You forgot the best one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't get that first one.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inzombiac posted:

I don't get that first one.

Its from The Big Lebowski. It's the name of John Goodmans characters Walter, who owns the business of the same name.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Human Revolution had a few good ones, too. Your support guy had a poster for Final Fantasy XXVII hanging up in his office.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Or just play on a gamepad?

I'D RATHER DIE. :reject:

But seriously, I didn't have a gamepad back when I first got Alpha Protocol. If it supports control hot-swapping, I guess I'd be okay with using my "special hacking tool" for just those parts and then going right back to KB+M.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I'D RATHER DIE. :reject:

But seriously, I didn't have a gamepad back when I first got Alpha Protocol. If it supports control hot-swapping, I guess I'd be okay with using my "special hacking tool" for just those parts and then going right back to KB+M.

Sadly, last time I checked you had to go into a menu and switch on gamepad controls which then turned off KB+M until you switched it back. So you can do it, but I found switching every time more annoying than just hacking with KB+M.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dang. I had a feeling it was too early a port to handle that kind of stuff super well.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I finally got World of Final Fantasy and it's really cute despite Renn being really annoying. I just found and captured the Black Chocobo Chick behind the goblin camp :3:

Yeah. I found Lann the more likable sibling - he's an idiot but it's kind of funny watching him fumble words and just saying stupid stuff.
Speaking of lovable idiots, Morton in Color Splash is so stupid it warps around to being adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

scarycave posted:

Yeah. I found Lann the more likable sibling - he's an idiot but it's kind of funny watching him fumble words and just saying stupid stuff.
Speaking of lovable idiots, Morton in Color Splash is so stupid it warps around to being adorable.

I got their names mixed up - it's Lann that I can't stand.