Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

strategery posted:

I was wondering what the hell this was and why it was getting such positive reviews. Wonder how much memory it takes up to run.

Hmmm, that looks kind of cool, lets go over to the workshop and see what kind of stuff people have made....

:stonk:

Yep, that sure is alot of underage anime girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Disney also killed off the expanded Star Wars universe.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Deakul posted:

Gotta wait 6 years for a new potential Jedi Knight game... :sigh:

I thought I was the only one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dad on the rag posted:

Disney also killed off the expanded Star Wars universe.

I'm glad of it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Srice posted:

I'm glad of it

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

strategery posted:

I was wondering what the hell this was and why it was getting such positive reviews. Wonder how much memory it takes up to run.

Apparently about a 100MB. Task manager shows less than that.

There's a bunch of pretty cool animated wallpapers if you care to browse beyond the first page. You can have Ori's menu as an animated wallpaper, for example.

Use the filters in the workshop to find something not anime. There's a ton of cool stuff to pretty up your desktop.

If you've ever used Deskscapes, this is better. It's what Deskscapes should have been. My only nitpick is that the WE doesn't currently play nice with Fences.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2017

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

betamax hipster posted:

I thought I was the only one.

I think most of us just gave up after 2 Force Unleashed games. I also want a new republic commando game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was young and had no idea what Rebellion was back when it came out. Looking back it seems like kind of a grand strategy game? Was it a Paradox game avant la lettre?

Hoo boy, I spent hundreds of hours in my youth playing Rebellion. It was the game I always wanted, a grand strategy game to command either the Rebellion or the Empire in galactic warfare, but it had some significant issues.

Your goals are the same no matter which side you pick (capture the enemy capital and their two leaders) but the means are quite different, and not just because they have different ship and troop types. The Rebel capital can be moved to any planet you want and is hidden until the Empire scouts it out, but once it's destroyed it's gone forever. The Imperial capital on Coruscant obviously doesn't move, but can be retaken if you lose it. The galaxy this plays out in is divided into the populated core systems and the unexplored outer rim, which gives you a lot of options in how to expand. Every planet in the core systems supports one side or the other, and while you can hold a planet that doesn't support you they will rebel unless you have the ground forces to keep them suppressed. You have diplomats and spies who can shift support and incite rebellions, and your methodology in claiming a planet affects their support for you too... orbital bombardment will clear out most of the opposition but the planet will hate you for it.

Most of your time in Rebellion is actually spent building planetary infrastructure like mines and barracks, and sending agents to sway planets to your cause. In a way it's kind of accurate to how managing a galactic empire or rebellion would go, because your real concerns are keeping the supply lines open and your support up. Ground battles are resolved automatically but space battles are 3D real-time affairs that look pretty cool (for the time, the 3D models have like 10 polygons), but honestly don't give you much control over what happens. Space battles are also super boring until you start building interdictors that can stop fleets from escaping, because with so little startegy to the actual battles the side with numerical superiority is always going to win. This leads to plenty of annoyances where you basically have control of a sector but the enemy fleet keeps hopping around your systems and blockading them until you can run them off again.

The big thing Rebellion did that wasn't real common at the time was have hero characters that could command your ships or troops or be used as super spies or diplomats. And I mean, they put EVERYONE in this game, like every single character that ever appeared in a scene in the movies AND all the major characters from the Thrawn novels. They even had Dark Troopers from Dark Forces and TIE Defenders from the TIE Fighter flight sim as regular units! There were also some little corner-case interactions like Luke sometimes disappearing for awhile to train on Dagobah, or new Jedi being discovered and trained, or the big-name characters encountering each other and having epic battles (that you just read about in your status reports). The Empire could build Death Stars, which really did keep the local systems in line through fear, and the Rebels could steal the plans and sabotage it or destroy it with fighters. Everything that happened in the movies could happen in the game.

It's just that most of the time those things DIDN'T happen, and you were sitting around trying to get your mine/gas ratios right or chasing around rogue fleets you couldn't kill or waiting for a planet to finally finally FINALLY turn to your side so they'd stop rebelling. For some reason the game runs in faux-realtime where turns happen at a set speed, so you have to turn the speed up super high while waiting for things to build and then slam it back down to slowest when they're ready. The early game is also SUPER boring because your facilities are bare-bones and it takes like 50 turns just to build another construction yard to speed things up. Building multiple construction yards or shipyards on a planet increases production linearly so you always needed to cram every single yard you could into a planet so you could crank stuff out at a useful clip; trying to have shipyards on every planet just meant every frigate would take like 300 turns to make.

In the end it's the ultimate game for Star Wars supernerds like me, but you have to look past a bunch of jank and poor design decisions to enjoy it. I'm always tempted every few years to get back into it (I still have my CD) but the thought of those first 200 turns where you're just padding out infrastructure keeps me away. I'll do it eventually though, because deep down I love it too much not to.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BexGu posted:

Hmmm, that looks kind of cool, lets go over to the workshop and see what kind of stuff people have made....

:stonk:

Yep, that sure is alot of underage anime girl.

Most of the top rated and popular anime stuff seem to be just ordinary Hatsune Miku/Touhou ones though, what are you even attaching "underage" in there for

Also the program seems to be real popular with the Chinese.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I haven't played the Rebellion video game but I do have the board game and it sounds pretty drat similar. It sounds like it has less emphasis on specific planets (they're either loyal to one side or the other, but no mining or anything) but it still has a ton of heroes and different units and stuff.

You also get to build death stars as the Empire, which is great. I was playing teams with a friend of mine and we managed to find the rebel base but lost the battle to take it. So we just blew up the whole planet haha.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Kanfy posted:

Most of the top rated and popular anime stuff seem to be just ordinary Hatsune Miku/Touhou ones though, what are you even attaching "underage" in there for

Also the program seems to be real popular with the Chinese.

You can't really see it in the workshop, but I've checked out some of the Touhou backgrounds and they are surprisingly well animated.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Rebellionchat distracted me from the real reason I'm here, roasting my first go at the Shantae series. I kinda panicked when I went to post this one on Steam because the reviews were Overwhelmingly Positive, until I realized I was looking at Pirate's Curse. I certainly hope that one's good because Risky's Revenge sure isn't.

:megaman: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2017 :megaman:

1. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
2. 99 Levels To Hell
3. A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda
4. Mandagon
5. Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory
6. Lucidity
7. Strider

8. Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut

I know if I sit down for a metroidvania, I'm going to be collecting stuff. It might be keys or souls or artisanal cheeses but I get that I'll have to scour the map to nab things to proceed. Some games do this really well, with clever shortcuts between areas or unique new ways to traverse the same rooms. And some games don't, leaving you to backtrack through the same places endlessly. Shantae honestly doesn't even try for the former, electing to stick you with the latter in a criminally small world brimming with junk that other people want you to get. It's a really nice world, too, which makes it all the worse that it's designed so poorly.

Risky's Revenge is the second game in the series from what I understand, but don't let that get you down because the story is simple enough. You play the bouncy Shantae, the half-genie protector of sunny seaside Scuttle Town. Her uncle unearths a magic lamp that gets snatched by Risky Boots, Shantae's pirate nemesis, and so the task before you is to battle back against Risky, her mechanical pirate ship, and her gravity-defying breasts. Actually you won't see much of her for most of the game, because the bulk of your time is spent collecting junk to keep away from Risky that she DEFINITELY won't trick you into handing over in the end.

It's a shame you don't see more of Risky, actually, because the characters are perhaps the best part of the game. Shantae's world is full of colorful, animated characters that love to quip about their lives and your life and their weird little habits. I'm impressed at how much personality they get between their unique appearances and their short but clever blurbs. Each of Shantae's allies is distinct in character, from her kindly uncle to her falconer ally to her peppy zombie BFF. The townsfolk and other incidental characters all have their moments as well, just enough to make me wish more emphasis was placed on meeting people than scouring the world for items.

The ugly truth, if you haven't cottoned to it yet, is that the game is one big item hunt, even moreso than most metroidvanias. Your very first task in the game is to find an item Shantae forgot about, and then from there it's hours spent chasing three magic doodads so Risky can't have them. You have to find more items to get to them, not just powerups and keys but lunches, tickets, lattes, and squids, too. They're all scattered across a shockingly small world, so be prepared to hit every screen in the game at least twice to find different gewgaws to proceed. Seriously, there are only four paths out of town, one leads to Shantae's house and the other three dead-end at the dungeons where the magical thingamabobs are.

Backtracking is what killed this game stone dead for me, because it is orders of magnitude worse than in just about any other game. Retreading old ground is a given in any metroidvania but a large map with intelligently-designed paths of progression will keep it to a minimum while making the most of the rooms that must be repeated. Risky's Revenge, perched precariously on the opposite end of this spectrum, starts with a tiny, boring map and then crams as much junk into it as possible that requires multiple trips through the same areas. And these aren't gentle fields or straight corridors to traverse, no, these are dozens of rail-thin platforms over a bottomless pit to tackle over and over, or a cave network that the useless map function leaves you to puzzle out for yourself when you have to return an hour later to find a new upgrade to proceed.

The dungeons are somehow even worse about this (yes I am not done talking about backtracking) and not just because they have literally no map. While one is simply a timed gauntlet of battles, the other two are a messy network of cris-crossing rooms and secret passages and keys to distant doors. The first is plenty confusing with its numerous side halls hiding essential keys and forced backtracking through cavernous rooms, but the last, oh my God the last. There are doors that lead to different places depending on switches you flip, and some can have four different destinations. One part requires you to find four keys before BACKTRACKING to a locked door, to find another two-part key that has you BACKTRACK almost all the way back to the entrance.

The only way I could get through Risky's Revenge was by playing 30 minutes or so a night. The constant busywork of finding a new item to get another item so I could go back and get another item just wore on me too much. It's a shame, too, because the rest of the game comes together with some cool animal powers, vibrant enemies, and a beautiful world to run around in. The presentation isn't the best, with the fine pixel art clashing with the clean vectors of menus and dialog, but for a handheld port that's hardly its worst sin. No, its worst sin is making you scramble over every inch of a tiny map again and again until boredom or apathy claim you. As lively as Shantae and her friends appear, they sure do waste a lot of their lives chasing junk and that's not my idea of a good time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

counterpoint: shantae is actually really fun and good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

She has extremely lovely friends though. Risky treats her better than everyone else.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

counter-counterpoint: it's just an ok game in an increasingly crowded genre

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't recall Sky ever doing anything bad but I could very possibly be forgetting something.

All Shantae games have the exact same set of issues but Risky's Revenge is just exceptionally lovely about all of it and there's just the least amount of actual good game in there on top of it. Also Pike Ball.

And to whoever it was that mentioned the map in RR, I think I had actually just blocked it entirely out of memory because I had to look at it again to remember how bad it was. Yikes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Riskys Revenge is probably one of the weaker ones, but yeah, Shantae lives through it's Charme.

I also like Bolo, Skye and Rottytops a lot. I really enjoyed Half Genie Hero and Pirates Curse, but couldnt finish Riskys Revenge.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

counter-counterpoint: it's just an ok game in an increasingly crowded genre

man with snake killing mario avatar i bow to your superior judgment and i agree

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shartae and the Pirate's Turds.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

RPS has an article up about a game coming out this year about programming robots, and I need it -

But I'm bringing this to the thread's attention because

I don't think John understands that reading about book binding is cool, and playing games about programming is even cooler. I...don't comprehend why someone could be mad about more programmers making games about it - the genre is the least saturated one in the world, compared to things like shooters or punchers.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

John Walker is mostly just a boring contrarian now
He's really just an annoying youtuber vlogger who happens to write poo poo instead of making videos. He's Total Biscuit meets Polygon meets Ben Kuchera meets Pewdiepie.
Literally, if it's an article by Walker you can just skip it. He has nothing of value to add to any discussion. If he happens to like something you also like I guess you can read it for that warm, echo-chambery feeling, however.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pirate's Curse is my favorite Shantae so far. I didn't mind the backtracking so much in that one because I felt the stages were engaging. I think Half Genie Hero is too short and too easy in terms of stages, and is mostly backtracking, so bleh. I agree with Risky's Revenge being bullshit. I really hate how each level has multiple planes that all look really similar, so it's very easy to get lost.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Shartae and the Pirate's Turds.

Have some respect for yourself and your friends here at the somethingawful forums

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Have some respect for yourself and your friends here at the somethingawful forums
the new one is... uh... Shantae: Half-Flushed Urinal.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Riskys Revenge is probably one of the weaker ones, but yeah, Shantae lives through it's Charme.

I also like Bolo, Skye and Rottytops a lot. I really enjoyed Half Genie Hero and Pirates Curse, but couldnt finish Riskys Revenge.

The moments with her friends and the new dialogues you get in town kept me going on Risky's Revenge, even as the dungeons wore me down. Maybe the game would have worked much better structured like Simon's Quest, with a mostly linear progression through the world and the self-contained dungeons and more emphasis on towns and interacting with the people in them.

One really dumb, inconsequential thing that bothered me was when the mayor sold the town to the Ammo Baron, and the Baron makes a big deal about the stuff he's going to change. I thought that would mean new NPCs and banners and stuff around town but nope, a few NPCs get a line about it and that's it. Like, if you're going to go out of your way to make that a plot point, why do literally nothing with it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do modern games benefit from 16 GB of RAM? I have 8 and everything runs fine except Just Cause 3, which whinges at me about being "below minimum specifications" every time I load it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

One really dumb, inconsequential thing that bothered me was when the mayor sold the town to the Ammo Baron, and the Baron makes a big deal about the stuff he's going to change. I thought that would mean new NPCs and banners and stuff around town but nope, a few NPCs get a line about it and that's it. Like, if you're going to go out of your way to make that a plot point, why do literally nothing with it?

I vaguely remember that actually paying off in Pirate's Curse. With the town's appearance actually changing and everything.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 loved gobbling up RAM to the point that I had to close my web browser. So I grabbed another 8. Big and fat (and new) games will demand it, I guess.
-
Anyone try Fallout 4's super textures?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

But that's exactly how politics works?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And to whoever it was that mentioned the map in RR, I think I had actually just blocked it entirely out of memory because I had to look at it again to remember how bad it was. Yikes.

Nah, the DSi original didn't have the map at all.

I think it didn't even have the teleport system.

Pirate's curse is a fucktonne better.

e:

Too Shy Guy posted:

The entire fallout of this plot point happens in the sequel :downs:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Gort posted:

Do modern games benefit from 16 GB of RAM? I have 8 and everything runs fine except Just Cause 3, which whinges at me about being "below minimum specifications" every time I load it.

They benefit in that I can keep a bunch of browsers / media players / etc. open and alt tab between stuff without any delay or glitchiness. RAM is pretty cheap and is generally a good quality of life upgrade.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Well poo poo, no wonder people like Pirate's Curse so much.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Overwatch is the only game that has given me issues with 8 GB of RAM, but then I rarely buy the newest games.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

h_double posted:

They benefit in that I can keep a bunch of browsers / media players / etc. open and alt tab between stuff without any delay or glitchiness. RAM is pretty cheap and is generally a good quality of life upgrade.

This. 16 GB is the sweet spot nowadays.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Overwatch is the only game that has given me issues with 8 GB of RAM, but then I rarely buy the newest games.

You should buy new sticks, then. I also have 8GB and have no problems with OW.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Humble Star Wars Bundle

$1
KOTOR
X-Wing Alliance
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter - Balance of Power Campaign
Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

BTA (10$~)
Battlefront II
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Starfighter
KOTOR 2
Rebel Assault I + II

14$
Force Unleased Ultimate Sith Edition
Force Unleased 2
Rogue Squadron 3D
Shadows of the Empire
Empire at War Gold Pack

I sense much win in this sector

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

So Shantae games like this? Pirate's Curse > Half Genie Hero > Risky's Revenge

I own all three but haven't finished one.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

So Shantae games like this? Pirate's Curse > Half Genie Hero > Risky's Revenge

I own all three but haven't finished one.

I wanna say yes, Half Genie Hero is kinda easy it has a lot of area backtracking, and one of the dances is supremely annoying the two times it is used. It is the most polished one and I wish it had hit the full voice acting goal.
I love the song that plays in the Demo Level as well, "Dance Through the Danger" by Shantaes Voice Actress.

Honestly, Way Forward has improved quite a bit, even though they are basically making the same game that they know that they can make every time, just a bit more polished.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T96dx_P3XTo&t=90s

yeah but that soundtrack though

virt can make any mediocre game really good

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

16 GB is nice but i really miss having 32 GB, you basically never have to close any programs forever.

also on the topic of shantae:
i love everything about the shantae games except actually playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

StrixNebulosa posted:

Humble Star Wars Bundle

$1
KOTOR
X-Wing Alliance
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter - Balance of Power Campaign
Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

BTA (10$~)
Battlefront II
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Starfighter
KOTOR 2
Rebel Assault I + II

14$
Force Unleased Ultimate Sith Edition
Force Unleased 2
Rogue Squadron 3D
Shadows of the Empire
Empire at War Gold Pack

I got excited, but then remembered I own nearly all these games already....

• Locked thread