Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Word on

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

When does Inferno go up for order on the Forgeworld store?

Word on the street is up to 5 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens. Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Had a game last night against a local Iron Warriors player. Had never met the guy, but turns out he was a really cool dude and we got a close game in. It was only my third Heresy game, so my tactics were only slightly worse than my dice! Mission was Blood Feud with that wedge deployment.
His force:

My force:

He had first turn and began his advance:

My dudes shortly before 9 of them got Phosphex'd off the table:

His advancing forces:

My Ultras holding the line:

My warlord trait let me deep strike a unit, so I dropped my Terminators behind his quad mortar on turn 2:

... but they missed:

My infantry blobs had taken a bit of a beating at this point:

I wiped the Assault Marines out using the Whirlwind and Aiolus missiles from the Deredeo, but his Contemptor was still advancing and getting dangerously close to my Tactical Marines:

Things are getting uncomfortable:

His Land Raider opened up and a squad of Breachers came pouring out, who then shot up my tac squad:

The Tactical Marines get charged by the Contemptor. Over the next turn, my sergeant stuns the Dreadnought with a power fist strike and my squad falls back. Since walkers can't Sweeping Advance if they're stunned, my squad was able to safely run away and regroup on my turn. Shooting then killed the Dreadnought:

My Tactical Marines prep to charge the Breachers:

Charge! The melee goes on for four rounds, with the Breacher sergeant killing my Tactical sergeant, Apothecary, and Chaplain:

However, the Ultramarines finally win one combat and force the squad to retreat!

In the very last turn, the breachers are falling back, the barest shreds of my two Tactical squads remain, and the only other living targets on the table are the two Land Raiders and the Siege Tyrants.

When we tallied up all the points, even counting the retreating Iron Warriors as destroyed, it came out to a narrow 6-7 game, with the Iron Warriors eking out a narrow victory. It was great fun, and I was happy to get my Heresy dudes on the table. I wish the lighting was better back there because both armies looked great, and his Iron Warriors had a ton of little conversions and characterful bits to them.

Things I learned:
- Phosphex is terrifying
- Don't charge Breachers, not now not ever. Should have used Fury of the Legion on them instead
- Get some power axes in my squads, losing three challenges in a row against a Breacher sergeant was pretty lame
- Meltabombs in more squads would be a good idea

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Really cool. It's game like this that made me want to dabble in 30k. The lists and the games took me back to just starting out, foot marines here, solo dread there... Clean and simple fun.

Then after I spent the money and I was looking through the books I remembered all the crazy poo poo forgeworld brings. I mean I don't regret it, the game does seem really fun anyway, at least at smaller point levels for now.

What point level was this game?

(also was that landraider backwards? Is it some other variant I don't know about?)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So here's a bit of a review of the Thousand Sons. Compared to other legions, they are pretty tricky to build an army because of their restrictions, but in turn they have, I think, the greatest ability to make units amazing.

LA: TS and Rites of War. (This post)
Unique Units and HQs.
Generic Units and Tricks.

Play Thousand Sons if...
  • You want psychic powers everywhere.
  • You like termintors and/or want to make many generic units amazing.
  • Your greatest inner desire is to the game by bringing Magnus at 1500 points and poo poo out Strength D novas and beams and you like people crying about you being a WAAC rear end in a top hat.

Legiones Astartes: Thousand Sons
Oh boy! The LA: TS rule massively defines the legion. Let's break this into four parts: HQ, Equipment, Arcana, and Penalties.
  • Your army's Warlord MUST be a Psyker. You can achieve this...
  • By giving your praetor up to 3 ML for 25 points each.
  • By giving any HQ IC up to 1 ML for 20 points.
  • Upgraded HQ ICs can trade power weapons for force for 5 points.
  • Upgraded HQ ICs can buy Arcane Litanies for 10 points to ignore their first Perils.

This opens up some pretty amazing possibilities, because unlike the Word Bearers, the Thousand Sons can pick from all five basic disciplines. We'll cover how hosed up this is later.

You can also further upgrade your army.
  • Any HQ ICs can buy Asphyx Shells for their bolters at 10 points (also pistols and bolter part of combis) to gain Shred.
  • Veterans and Terminators can buy Asphyx Shells for the entire unit at 25 points.
  • Veterans and Terminators can be given ML1 Brotherhood of Psykers for 25 points.
  • Can upgrade any Plasma Cannon to a Aether-fire Cannon for 10 points, gaining Soul Blaze. Because no one has ever read what Soul BLaze actually does.

Holy poo poo. Brotherhood of Psykers on Vets and Termies. This is retarded and we'll talk about why in the strategy section.

Now, your entire army also benefits from (and is bound by) Arcanas.
  • Every unit with LA: TS must select one of five Arcana.
  • Compulsory Troops must match their Arcana to the Warlord's.
  • If your Arcana matches your Psychic Discipline you can harness Warp Charges on a 3+ rather than 4+.

And lastly, when poo poo hits the fan with Thousand Sons, it's bad.
  • If you suffer a wound in your TS detachment from Perils, every unit with LA: TS must make an immediate Pinning test.
  • If all of your IC in the detachment are killed, your entire army suffers a -1 Ld penalty and can no longer Sweeping Advance.

Here's some important notes: A Perils is not an automatic "oh my god" moment. 1/3 of the results give you a chance to pass an Ld test and remain unscathed. Feel No Pain can ignore a Perils wound. HQs can have Arcane Litanies to ignore their first Perils. Plan accordingly and know how many dice you want to throw at your powers; HQs can reliably go for more dice, your regular units... will benefit from caution.

So in order to build your army, it's easier to think about things in this order: RoW -> Compulsory Troops -> Warlord.

Thousand Sons Rites of War
An amazing ROW and a poo poo ROW. Woo! Wonder which one people are going to use?!

Axis of Dissolution
  • No.
Guard of the Crimson King
  • Yes!
  • Warlord must be Ahriman, Magnus, or a ML3 Praetor. Sorry Amon.
  • Sekhmet become Troops and must be taken as Compulsory Troops.
  • When generating your warp charges, roll 2d6 and keep the highest instead of d6.
  • Anyone in Terminator armour gets Deep Strike. If they arrive by Deep Strike they get Fearless + re-roll Invulerable rolls of 1 for that turn.
  • Magnus can be taken as a Compulsory HQ. He loses his LoW status (goodbye Price of Failure!) and yes, you can then field a LoW too.

Self explanatory. Sekhmets are wonderful, and this makes Sekhmets even crazier. Makes more warp charges easier to get. Magnus loses the Price of Failure penalty, almost ensures you'll never lose all of your HQ IC, allows re-rolls to reserve so you can pull out those deep strikes, and more.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Unique Units
Thousand Sons have access to a nice variety of units, which range from wonderful to poo poo.
  • Sekhmet Terminator Cabals, are your fancy terminators. Amazing.
  • Khenetai Occult Blade Cabals, are your CC glass cannons. More models, more attacks. Shines if you commit to them.
  • Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabals, are your special Recons. Stuck with Sniper Rifles. Bad for the most part.
  • Castellax-Achea are a variant of the automata that function with psykers and have a few neat tricks. Neat!
  • Osiron Contemptor Dreadnoughts, are an upgrade to standard Contemptors to become psychic and wield a force weapon. Cute.

Sekhmet Terminators (Elites)
  • Bog standard stats except for 2 wounds.
  • ML2 Brotherhood; limited to Telekinesis and Pyromancy, but they can PICK their powers. Woah.
  • Come equipped with Asphyx combi-bolters and a force weapon.
  • You can pick their terminator armour pattern.
  • Can replace the force weapon with a lightning claw, power fist, or chainfist.
  • Can replace their-combi bolters for combi-weapons at 5 points a pop.

So, the unit everyone is bitching about. 255 points base for 5, and 35 points for additional models up to 5 more. Their stats are unremarkable save for the two wounds, but their cheap combis, force weapons and ability to pick powers is what makes them shine. Used in the unique RoW Guards of the Crimson King they are positively sick.

First, their Arcana. There is no reason not to give them Raptora to improve their Invulnerable save by 1. If these are your compulsory troops you'll need a Raptora Preator ML3 or Magnus leading your force. 3++ Cataphractii / 4++ Tartaros.

Next, their powers. From Telekinesis Levitation is WC1 and grants them a massive mobility upgrade, while Psychic Malestrom is a S10 AP1 Assault 1, Large Blast, but is WC3. From Pyromancy we have the WC1 Fiery Form for a 4++ Invulnerable (did you pick Tartaros? Neat!) and re-roll to-wound on other Pyro powers, and WC2 Molten Beam for a S8 AP2 Melta Beam. In most cases, I'd suggest Levitation + Molten Beam.

Lastly, in the Crimson Guard ROW they become compulsory troops and can deep strike. On the turn they deep strike they gain Fear and can re-roll Invulnerable saves of 1. Nasty.

Oh and they can be your troops in a Pride of the Legion list since they're elites.

Khenetai Occult Blade Cabals (Elite)
  • WS5 Power Armour marines. Can have a Rhino/LR Phobos/Proteus as a DT.
  • Brotherhood ML1 and twin force swords each.
  • More models, more power. 3 or less, A+1. 4-8, A and WS+1. 9-10, A+2 and WS+1.

You start with 5 for 185 points and can buy an extra 5 for 25 points each. Melta bomb and AA for the sarge, nothing special in the options.

So these guys at max power have 8 attacks (sarge 9). Pricey glass cannon. But look, Brotherhood and no discipline limitations! Roll on Biomancy for positively retarded results. At worst you get Haemorrage, at best you turn into S7 T7 AP2 monsters. Give them a LR or one of the assault pods: mulch some power armour or if you get Iron Arm mulch a deathstar.

Ammitara Occult Intercession Cabals (Fast Attack)
  • Your Recon marines. Stuck with Sniper Rifles.
  • Brotherhood ML1, but they are locked into the Mind Killer power (WC2, re-roll hits and wounds)
  • Can take a Storm Eagle as a DT. Because who the gently caress knows.
  • Can Infiltrate and take a Nucio-vox.

So. Mind Killer, seems great! But it's a discipline-less power, so you can't improve your warp charge harnessing. You can take a Storm Eagle! But you're stuck with Sniper Rifles, so have fun waiting for the next turn to even shoot. Garbage unless you need sneaky nuncio-voxes.

Castellax-Achea Maniple
  • Castellax stats. Tough stompy bot!
  • All three bolt weapons gain Asphyx Shells. Sweet.
  • No longer cybernetic, so you lose all relevant rules and penalties.
  • Instead you gain a generic 5++ and the option to replace the Mauler with an Aether-Fire Cannon (Plasma Cannon with Soul Blaze)
  • Can still fire all three weapons. As long as there is a TS psyker within 24" they act normal, otherwise they cannot charge, run or sweep.
  • If a Perils is triggered within 12" - friend or foe - the unit suffers d6 wound with no saves of any kind. If this kills a Castellax-Achea is automatically explodes with maximum distance.
  • Psykers within 12" can use the Castellex-Achea for LoS and distance on their witchfires and maledictions.
  • Incompetent writing means they are actually equipped with two power fists.

A cute robot! Solid weapons. The psy relay thing is a neat trick in Zone Mortalis. It's also the only unit that can use an Aether-fire Cannon at a reasonable price, and normally a Castellax doesn't even get a Plasma Cannon.

Osiron Dreadnought Talons
  • 50 points to upgrade one or more standard Contemptor to Osiron.
  • ML1 Psychic Pilot, Adamantium Will. Limited to Telekinesis, Telepathy, Pyromancy and Divination.
  • Replaces one DCCW with a force version of it and a bolter with Asphyx Shells.
  • Point of contention: It says upgrade any talon, but in the summary it says they are HQ. IMO the HQ part is a dumb mistake.

Weird thing. I'm not sold on it myself, since regular contemptors are already a little overpriced and 50 points is a lot.

Ahriman
  • Centurion-ish stats, but thankfully with a 4++.
  • ML4 Corvidae + Divination.
  • His Warlord trait gives up to three Troops the Scout rule. Don't forget, Scout also grants Outflank and is transferred to Dedicated Transports.
  • Can upgrade a Command Squad to ML2 Brotherhood, but they must be Corvidae + Divination.

A fairly nice warlord. His trait allows for amusing tricks. Works pretty well with Pride of the Legion, Armoured Breakthrough and Armoured Spearhead. More details later.

Amon
  • Praetor-ish stats. No invulnerable save, but improves his cover save.
  • ML3 with twin Arcanas and Disciplines (Corvidae/Athanean, Divination/Telepathy). No Arcane Litanies though.
  • He passively prevents Outflankers from [u]approaching[u] within 24" and Deep Strikes from 12". This is brilliant. Turn 1 he blocks drop pods from harassing you, turn 2 he should cover big enough range to prevent outflankers from harrying you.
  • Special melee trick mostly useful against Sv4+ or for the Concussive quality... but why the gently caress is Amon in melee???
  • His Warlord trait allows you to Outflank any one non-flyer, non-super heavy unit on the turn of your choice. Also brilliant, you can have a whole squadron of vindicators outflank.
  • Infiltrator. This is a horrible thing on him.

Amon, poor Amon. You seemed so cool! But you are T4 and a single stray S8 hit will obliterate you. No Arcane Litanies for some reason! And you Infiltrate, so you are stuck with Recon marines and Ammitara. And you don't qualify for the Guard of the Crimson King ROW. Blah, but we can still make use of you.

The Primarch Magnus
  • Everyone is crying for very good reasons.
  • Allows everyone to test Ld at his own for Morale, Pinning and Psychic powers and Perils while he is on the board.
  • His Warlord Traits allow Sekhmet as troops, removes the Arcana = Warlord's requirement from compulsory troops, and lastly allows you to re-roll reserves even when not on the board.
  • ML5, harnesses on 3+, Perils only on triple 6's, re-rolls 1's on the Perils table.
  • Must roll 5 powers, but he can pick and match disciplines: All five basic disciplines plus Santic.
  • When selecting targets for his powers has LoS to everyone in range and has Ignore Cover.
  • Reduces wounds inflicted by Strength D weapons by 1. lol.
  • -1 to Hit at range and in melee. +1 to scatter distances. Transfers to a unit he joins.
  • Mind Wrath increases the cost of a power by 2. Doubles the listed range and adds 2d6 to the Strength value. A Strength of 11 or more becomes D.

Yeah he's retarded at 495 points AND a ROW that removes his LoW status/turns him into an HQ. You can have Magnus in a 1500 points match. If you don't know what to do, just roll Biomancy. Or read the next post.

So. At first glance Magnus seems to be a very individualistic primarch, but he actually provides very potent buffs to your entire army. First, the Ld boost also applies to psychic powers and Perils. Second, he removes the Arcana limitations, increasing your HQ + compulsory troop options. Plus his reserve re-roll is critical to making the Guard of the Crimson King ROW work smoothly.

At least he's only BS5 due to his hosed up eye.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

SRM posted:

awesome stuff

This looks super fun. You UM continue to looks awesome.

You should get both Robute Guilemans and paint them to match your 30k and 40k armies respectively. I want to see the new plastic one in your super retro UM style.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, I did say we can make generic units amazing, so let's go over that (and some list-building ideas).

Raptora Breachers. 4++/5++ Breachers.
Raptora Breachers + Zone Mortalis Strike Force RoW. 3++/4++ Breachers.
This is a pretty amazing unit for Zone Mortalis. Ridiculous Invulnerable save and Void Hardened. Toss in a Apothecary for extra funsies.

Raptora Assault Squads + Combat Shields. 4++/5++ blob.
You can have 20 of these yahoos. Kind of scary, plus an optional Apothecary. Or consider a Psychic Chaplain here.

Corvidae + Seekers. Re-roll shooting 1's.
Seekers need to stand still for the S5 AP2 ammo. Re-roll those 1's.

Seekers + LR Proteus + Exploratory Web Augur. Reserve manipulation.
You normally lack a way of improving your reserve chances, and a Damocles will get blown up ASAP. This can be a nice way to combine Seekers and reserve control.

Corvidae + Marksman Veterans + ML1 Brotherhood (Divination) + Asphyx Shells. Re-roll everything.
Puts to shame even IF bolter vets; even Sv2+ units should be worried.

Pavoni Veterans + ML1 Brotherhood (Biomancy). Buff everything.
Hey, all of those "psyker only" powers now affect the entire unit. +3 S/T and AP2 at initiative and Smash? +3A/I and Fleet? Less impressive, a 4+ FNP? Holy poo poo. And the other powers are all AP2 witchfires or a -1S/T malediction which allows you to Instant Death most W2 models with plasma. You can also consider making these guys CC monsters with power weapons.

Pavoni Khenetai Occult Blades + Biomancy + Dreadclaw. Buff everything.
Same as the Veterans above. The Dreadclaw lets you react to what you rolled on Biomancy. Iron Arm? Pod next to a Sv2+ deathstar. Anything else? Pod next to a juicy Sv3+ target. Or whatever, you are making 81 instant death attacks on the charge.

Pavoni Legion Terminators + ML1 Brotherhood (Biomancy). Buff everything.
Same as the Veterans above.

Raptora Sekhmet Terminators + Tartaros + Fiery Form + Molten Beam. Just like Cataphractii!
Fiery Form is WC1 for a 4++ and re-roll to Pyro powers. With Raptora that gives you a 3++, and a neat bonus to Molten Beam.

Raptora Sekhmet Terminators + Cataphractii + Levitate + Molten Beam or Psychic Maelstrom. Boom.
Levitate is WC1 for extra mobility, which you harness on 3+. Molten Beam is shooty and easier to pull off than Psychic Malestrom at WC3, even when harnessing on 3+.

Corvidae Rapier Weapon Batteries + Corvidae
Re-roll to-hit of 1's if you stood still. That's nice, it's like a permanent baby version of Prescience.

Castellax-Achea in Zone Mortalis
Can peek around corners and allow another unit to channel a witchfire/malediction without having to expose the caster. Aether-fire Cannon gets Rend since it's a Blast.

Raptora Praevian + Robot Friends
Remember how Praevians can pass on their LA: TS to the robots? And how robots have an Invulnerable save?

Ahriman + Armoured Spearhead
Ahriman can give three Troops the Scout rule. Scouts can pass the rule on to their DT. Armoured Spearhead gives you a whole bunch of Land Raiders.

Ahriman + Armoured Breakthrough
Breakthrough gives you Predators as Troops. Go ahead and make those Predators Scout.

Amon (Secondary or Tertiary HQ)
Alright, I did say we could make Amon useful. Park him in the middle of your army to provide Outflank + Deep Strike protection. He provides a hefty 3 warp charges and on turn 2 can join another unit afterwards to give his Divination powers.

Praetor + ML3 Biomancy
You are likely to poo poo all over a lot of other characters.

Magnus + Biomancy
Smite + Mind Wrath. WC3, 36", AP2, Assault 4. 58% of the time this will become Strength D.
Life Leech + Mind Wrath. WC3, 36", AP2, Assault 2. 83% of the time this will become a Strength D.
The only bad power here is Haemorrhage.

Magnus + Specific Powers
If you get lucky and nab Life Leech + Smite from the get go, you can roll on other disciplines.
Telepathy, for Invisibility.
Pyromancy, for Sunburst. WC3, 18" AP5, Assault 2d6, NOVA. 58% of the time becomes S: D. This will wipe out anything with an Armor value. Everything will is still at serious risk.
Pyromancy, for Molten Beam. WC4, 24", AP2, Assault 1, BEAM, Melta. Your own miniature Glaive beam and it's almost always going to be S: D.
Telekinesis, for Shockwave. Pretty much like Sunburst.

Other stuff
ML1 Vigilator, Primus Medicae, Praevian, etc. etc. Think about where you can sneak in Prescience, Psychic Scream, Smite, etc.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 8, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nice 30k batrep SRM. Was all that damage done from ONE SINGLE quad mortar with phosphex? Holy hell.

It's a good thing I'm a good friend and won't take 9 of them when I play our north vs south game.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Really cool. It's game like this that made me want to dabble in 30k. The lists and the games took me back to just starting out, foot marines here, solo dread there... Clean and simple fun.

Then after I spent the money and I was looking through the books I remembered all the crazy poo poo forgeworld brings. I mean I don't regret it, the game does seem really fun anyway, at least at smaller point levels for now.

(also was that landraider backwards? Is it some other variant I don't know about?)

30k scales up more gracefully than 40k for three major reasons- only 25% of your armies points can be in LoW's, buying big units is more points efficient than MSU's so a natural expand from 2k to 3k is often keeping a similar number of units but bulking everything out, and there aren't formations, so you don't have to worry about crossing a points threshold where multiple busted formations is a possibility. As an example, here's a 3k army from my collection:

Quite reasonably sized, and I could probably get a game in with it in 2 or 3 hours no problem.

That said, I really like 1500 points for small 30k games- it's just enough points that you can skew your list and take wacky/interesting stuff or a rounded all-comers list, but you can't cover all your bases or take all your toys.

E: forgot to add, in my experience at least there's a really different culture between 30k and 40k players too- 30k folk tend to be older and more casual, so you're less likely to run into a pickup game against a hate filled teenager with an unpainted mass of whatever the new busted list is.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 8, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiteOutMouse posted:

It was a 1500 point game, and it definitely reminded me of when I started out in 40k. As for the Land Raider, he had converted it pretty extensively by turning it around, moving hatches and ramps and stuff. It was hard to get a good picture of it:

BULBASAUR posted:

Nice 30k batrep SRM. Was all that damage done from ONE SINGLE quad mortar with phosphex? Holy hell.

It's a good thing I'm a good friend and won't take 9 of them when I play our north vs south game.

That mortar killed like 20 dudes over the course of the first two turns, including one apothecary, but then I baited him into shooting my Terminators with it, where it only killed 3 :shepface: My dice were godawful and that thing's creeping barrage rule or whatever is gross. He said he had a second but he doesn't use it games under 2500 points because he wants to keep friends.

ZachAttack posted:

This looks super fun. You UM continue to looks awesome.

You should get both Robute Guilemans and paint them to match your 30k and 40k armies respectively. I want to see the new plastic one in your super retro UM style.

Thanks! I just primed 30k Roboute, I'm trying to figure out what I'll do with 40k one once he comes out. I wish there was a readily available mid-90s model I could use for him though, so I could stick him with the retro dudes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SRM posted:

My dice were godawful and that thing's creeping barrage rule or whatever is gross. He said he had a second but he doesn't use it games under 2500 points because he wants to keep friends.

That's probably Crawling Fire you're thinking of, and it's a property of phosphex rather than the gun so any phosphex weapon will do that. :black101:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Looks like a custom-made Land Raider Proteus - it's fifty points cheaper than the standard Phobos, but doesn't have a door in the front so you can't charge out of it. Excellent for ferrying around shooting units, and you can also pay extra to mount a poair of heavy bolters, heavy flamers, or lascannons on the front (by default it only comes with the side lascannons). Also can buy an upgrade that lets it outflank.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

Looks like a custom-made Land Raider Proteus - it's fifty points cheaper than the standard Phobos, but doesn't have a door in the front so you can't charge out of it. Excellent for ferrying around shooting units, and you can also pay extra to mount a poair of heavy bolters, heavy flamers, or lascannons on the front (by default it only comes with the side lascannons). Also can buy an upgrade that lets it outflank.

The Proteus actually has scout by default, the upgrade lets you either re-roll your reserves roll or make your opponents make there's at -1.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The Proteus actually has scout by default, the upgrade lets you either re-roll your reserves roll or make your opponents make there's at -1.

YOu're probably thinking of an old version of the rules, the Age of Darkness Army List version of the Proteus gets both Scout and Disruption/Relay from the Explorator Augury Web. On the toher hand, it's like thirty points cheaper than the old version.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

No it doesn't. :confused: Scout's tied to the augury web too.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

On the toher hand, it's like thirty points cheaper than the old version.

Was it? I'm looking at using one and it's a huge 50 drat points.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Was it? I'm looking at using one and it's a huge 50 drat points.

I think the Age of Darkness Proteus is cheaper than the Crusade Army List Proteus, but I might be mistaken. Haven't actually played the CAL Astartes. AoD Proteus is 50 points cheaper than the AoD Phobos, though, 180 pts versus 230. If I recall correctly, the stock Proteus got cheaper but the Explorator Augury Web upgrade became more expensive, make it less of an autopick.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Alright, I did say we can make generic units amazing, so let's go over that (and some list-building ideas).

Thank you so much for this writeup- I've been having trouble reading the images leaked from the weekender, and haven't been able to really analyze what we have. Add in that I haven't been able to really play 30k since I had no idea what I was going to get (aside from what o have at the moment) this really helps.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that it’s been about a week I’ve had some more time to spend with the new book. I hate to say it, and despite how happy I am that Wolves and TKsons have awesome rules, Prospero is a step back for overall game balance. Whatever the reason- scale, power creep, limited testing, bad editing – the jump up in power level here is harsh and uneven. Considering how many years this book was in production I really expected they’d do a better job.

TKsons are getting a lot of attention, for good reason, but there's a lot of really strong poo poo in here.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The wolf tears are pretty amazing though:

quote:

LOL seriously how hard was it to do something like: upgrade a grey slayer squad member to one of the following characters for x amount of points: ie. Bjorn (Bear, The Brooding One) armed with power axe, bolter, bolt-pistol, grenades, etc... or Godsmote and Two-Blade etc etc. If you can have in 40K a blood claw option to have Lukas or wolf guard to Arjac, why couldn't they do this to inferno? Because they were probably busy making custodes the highlight of inferno book! LOL

I like how they've push this book back several times to do it justice, to get the rules right due to its immense importance, with the inclusion of sisters of silence and custodes. Yet somehow they've managed to include other factions and then omit wulfen/lore, when we already have current rules and models for them in 40K. I mean if they can do upgrades for the current plastic custodes, why couldn't they do the same for wulfen in 30K mode. I just find it silly when things/people over complicate things, when it can easily be avoided. Sad part is, they have the resources and the time to do it...

God, please make the Space Wolves wait at least 3 years for their models

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custodes, SoS? They get Terra, Webway war etc. Mechanicum? They're all over the place, don't need even more spotlight time. Sons of Horus? They're central to the entire plot, have had, and will have, plenty of screen time. But this, should be our moment, Grey vs Red. Yet it seems to be more 'Red curbstomps Grey, because the Sons are just so awesome and powerful, but then Gold (BUY NOW!) saves the day for the Imperials'. Is it really so hard to see why we're getting hacked off?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
As an EC/IW player, this has been my favorite release so far

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
gently caress drop pods, but *especially* gently caress Dreadclaws. I just finished ripping off the doors after realizing things were not properly aligned

:rip:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My only real problem with the stuff I've seen aside from the hot garbage proofreading is that all of these new units and lists have a ton of new bookkeeping. The Custodes especially have tons and tons of special rules, and I'm definitely not going to remember them all.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Now that it’s been about a week I’ve had some more time to spend with the new book. I hate to say it, and despite how happy I am that Wolves and TKsons have awesome rules, Prospero is a step back for overall game balance. Whatever the reason- scale, power creep, limited testing, bad editing – the jump up in power level here is harsh and uneven. Considering how many years this book was in production I really expected they’d do a better job.

TKsons are getting a lot of attention, for good reason, but there's a lot of really strong poo poo in here.

I agree. This is very, very poor. For reference: exactly one year ago, FW still had no idea how to do Thousand Sons and Custodes. They thought they had it almost nailed down, but visibly that didn't work out at all and they had to rush things out the door. For example, the "solid plan no changes unless balance doesn't work out" for Thousand Sons was them having a unique psychic discipline and a piece of wargear for each Temple. So much for that plan.

I'm honestly amazed at how close my homebrewed TS rules ended up from the real deal. It's a little scary/very awesome. Except I tried to make mine fair and to not break the god drat game.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does anyone know of any decent third party MK4 jump packs? I want the single vent look for my RG.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Is the potentially broken state of 1kSons a secret ploy to make us all take sisters of silence in our forces? the simple explanation of FW not understanding balance/playtesting is far too boring :shepspends:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone know of any decent third party MK4 jump packs? I want the single vent look for my RG.

There's at least this but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out where it came from. I swear I've seen it somewhere but can't find where.

Edit: Found them! Spellcrow Space Knight Jump Packs, v2. I'd be almost tempted to flip these things upside down so you have one bigass intake port up top and three smaller thrusters down below. It looks kind of ungainly as is.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 9, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Definitely turn those around.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'd definitely turn them over but those look great!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am planning on doing Custodes as my Loyalist army after seeing how small it would be. It seems like a nice counter point to doing my horde of World Eaters on foot. I have been looking at the list and this is the starting point I have come up with doing Zone Mortalis, and then getting them some fancy dumb hover jeeps (that individually cost more than the whole rest of the army).

1000 Points
Legion Custodes Shield Captain [250]
- Paragon Spear, Praesidium Shield, Cyber Familiar, Digitial Lasers

Sentinal Guard Squad [310]
- More Mans x2, Vexilla

Custodian Guard Squad [235]
- More Mans x1, Pyrithite

Sagittarum Guard Squad [185]

This list has 20 points left over, so I am not sure if I should give everyone but the Sagittarum Guard Arae-Shirkes, or spend the points on more special weapons spears. 12 models seems like it will have a rough time, but I guess that is just how it will have to be.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
List time?!

code:
Thousand Sons, 2000 points, Guard of the Crimson King.

HQ
Praetor (265)
- Raptora (Inv+1) + Biomancy ML3
- Cataphractii, Digilasers, grenades, paragon, arcane litanies (ignore 1st peril)

Damocles (100)

TROOPS
Sekhmet x5 (300)
- Raptora + Levitation + Molten Beam
- Combi-Plasma x5, Chainfists x2

Sekhmet x5 (300)
- Raptora + Levitation + Molten Beam
- Combi-Plasma x5, Chainfists x2

Breachers x15 (300)
- AA, Breaching Charge, Melta Bomb

FAST ATTACK
Javelin Speeder (65)
- HK Missile 2x

Javelin Speeder (65)
- HK Missile 2x

Khenetai Occult Blades x8 w/ Dreadclaw (400)
- Pavoni + Biomancy
- AA, Dreadclaw

HEAVY SUPPORT
Deredeo (215)
- Aiolos Missiles
  • Praetor goes with one of the Sekhmet. Damocles hides behind terrain and I pray to god that it survives to turn 2.
  • Khenetai roll on Biomancy. Iron Arm = pod next to a Sv2 deathstar, otherwise pod next to a Sv3+ unit to erase.
  • Breachers and Deredeo hold the ground, everything deep strikes.
  • I'm thinking of dropping the Khenetai, because those 400 points could be me a lot of things.

I feel like it's too few troops for 2k. Alternatively I can drop the Khenetai and rejiggle things to have two x10 Veterans.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

I feel like it's too few troops for 2k. Alternatively I can drop the Khenetai and rejiggle things to have two x10 Veterans.

Never not Sword Wizard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custodes are the best army to get into the game with. Hell, you need like 10 models for every 1000 points. It's like kill-team or VisV in regular games :v:

Killer_Bees! posted:

Is the potentially broken state of 1kSons a secret ploy to make us all take sisters of silence in our forces? the simple explanation of FW not understanding balance/playtesting is far too boring :shepspends:

FWs history would suggest the latter is more likely. They probably balanced these armies against each other, but didn't factor in people playing adhoc games with other armies. For example, if we always played traitor vs loyalist then the loyalists could always take sisters to counteract the TKsons, but in a practical world this will never happen.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Never not Sword Wizard.

I know. But they need to be at almost full capacity to mulch things, plus a dreadclaw :(

Trying out something maybe a bit more fun for 1.5k points.

code:
Thousand Sons, 1500 points, Pride of the Legion

HQ
Ahriman, 225
- Corvidae + Divination ML4

TROOPS
Breachers 10x, 230
- Raptora
- AA, Breaching Charge, 1x Graviton Gun

Vets 10x, 285
- Corvidae + Divination ML1 + Marksmen
- Asphyx, AA, 2x Plasma Gun, Melta Bomb, Rhino

Vets 10x, 285
- Corvidae + Divination ML1 + Marksmen
- Asphyx, AA, 2x Plasma Gun, Melta Bomb, Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT
Deredeo, 215
- Aiolos

Heavy Support Squad x7, 260
- Corvidae
- Volkite Culverins, AA, Augury Scanner
Ahriman goes with the HS Squad.
Breachers get to Scout forward. Veterans either Scout or Outflank.

The HS hang in the back with the Deredeo, Breachers aim for midfield and the Vets pick something to wreck.

The Volkite Culverins here are pretty murderous thanks to 60" and Ahriman.
- Prescience, always. Re-roll to-hit.
- Foreboding. Full BS overwatch. Cute.
- Forewarning. 4++ to everyone. Cute.
- Precognition. Well at least no one will be killing Ahriman any time soon.
- Misfortune. Anything in 24" will be turned to a pile of ashes. Cute.
- Scrier's Gaze. Perfect for Outflanking the Veterans.

6+d6 warp charges and everyone harnesses on 3+. Good poo poo.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 9, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The only thing seems to be losing the one time perils protection?

Also I thought breachers were meh outside of ZA?

I like list #1 more but I have zero experience in 30k itself.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thousand Sons can make breachers decent thanks to 5++ and 4++ in melee. Thing is, he could do the same with assault squads, which can move 12", charge, cost less, have more attacks, and special weapons...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

There are so many "Rights" of War I would like to try, but Berserker Assault and Pride of the Legion are both so good.

With today's revelations about Assault Marines I might try the Angels Wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Top 6 Armies at LVO:
1) Dark Mechanicum
2) Emperor's Children with an allied Knight Household
3) White Scars
4) My own Imperial Fists
5) Emperor's Children
6) Hencoe's Iron Warriors!