Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Seems legit. Imma take option 1.

I was wondering how they would imcintize people to dehumanize themselves and face to bloodshed outside of role-playing, turns out making the button red and putting "Do Not Press" on it works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Serf posted:

This is some of the coolest stuff I've seen in the game, and I hope the other paths have equally cool things going on.

These are so cool I stopped reading them so it'll still be fresh and exciting when I make terrible decisions.

Serf
May 5, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

These are so cool I stopped reading them so it'll still be fresh and exciting when I make terrible decisions.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I hope these events have branches and also maybe there are more of them for each endgame path. Like instead of The Shroud or whatever you get something with seeking out wizards on primitive planets and using their knowledge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:allears:

This is the best.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We need to change the thread title to either:
IT IS NOT YET YOUR TIME... BUT IT COULD BE.
or
DO NOT DO THIS.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
haha good poo poo lum

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serf posted:

This is some of the coolest stuff I've seen in the game, and I hope the other paths have equally cool things going on.

Yeah this is all rad as hell but I think poor Biologics and Synthetics need their Ascension Paths shown off a little so they aren't totally overshadowed by Literally Warhammer 40k Warp.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah this is all rad as hell but I think poor Biologics and Synthetics need their Ascension Paths shown off a little so they aren't totally overshadowed by Literally Warhammer 40k Warp.

Like the Biologics need a path that lets you genengineer yourself with DNA taken from primitives/other species, breaking the normal rules for genetic engineering. You could become your own brand of Tyranid. Meanwhile Synthetics should have their own win condition path where they ascend to cyberheaven.

e: it would be pretty cool if Biologics could build observation posts, and use them to harvest the DNA of the natives, giving them discounts on genetic engineering for any traits those primitives have.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Biological path should clearly end in Shoggoths.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Agean90 posted:

I was wondering how they would imcintize people to dehumanize themselves and face to bloodshed outside of role-playing, turns out making the button red and putting "Do Not Press" on it works perfectly.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

We need to change the thread title to:
DO NOT DO THIS.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DatonKallandor posted:

The Biological path should clearly end in Shoggoths.

If we are going Lovecraft let us become the great race, give us the ability to an end game crisis by literally jumping into the future and switching minds with an entire race a million years from now after the crisis has passed, leaving them to face it and us scot free but in new bodies in a brand empire layout on the same galactic map.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It'd be cool if you could have tomb worlds as a preferred planet type and "terraform" other planets into the type. :v:

Serf posted:

Like the Biologics need a path that lets you genengineer yourself with DNA taken from primitives/other species, breaking the normal rules for genetic engineering. You could become your own brand of Tyranid. Meanwhile Synthetics should have their own win condition path where they ascend to cyberheaven.

e: it would be pretty cool if Biologics could build observation posts, and use them to harvest the DNA of the natives, giving them discounts on genetic engineering for any traits those primitives have.
Synthetic ascension should involve finding a species of space aliens who feed on solar radiation and give them massively powerful bodies of living metal and worship them as gods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This looks interesting, no idea if it's actually going to be implemented or what.

*edit*
Oh it's apparently a very old abandoned bit of feature :(

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dallan Invictus posted:

I STILL have never had Horizon Signal fire so I'm glad to see the malign influence of Fallen London Guy spreading.

Yeah, this is reminding me of Fallen London, particularly the Mr. Eaten questline. Except that line is nothing but misery and pain and utterly lacks benefits, unlike this, which seems pretty good... For the most part. Still, the warnings to not do the obviously-terrible thing are familiar.

Also yeah, I'm hoping that the other Ascension paths have unique stuff too. They don't necessarily have to also all go this particular route, but unique benefits and weirdness as opposed to just giving you a thing that exists but better/different. Which is how I figure they'll be, mind, and they're just showing off the really new thing at the moment, because it's entirely new.

Edit: Here's the rest of the Domination tree, meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/829333064190935040
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/829355154159828992
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/829370564036984832

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2017

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So I'm pretty new at this, but playing on hard and sort of know how this works;
I've Fanatical Purifiers to my left - they just attacked me with 2.5k (70 corvs)
I've Evangelizing Zealots to my south - I'm trying to to border friction
The cunts to my north also hates me.

Do I just restart, or can I deter the fuckings purifiers from attacking me?

1k fleet plus the station and defensive platforms enough?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Daktari posted:

I've Fanatical Purifiers to my left - they just attacked me with 2.5k (70 corvs)

Weirdly starting near those guys can sometimes be good because you rival them and so do empires on the opposite side of them and you become best buds.

1K plus a space station is enough to defeat their fleet potentially if they attack your planet and your fleet at the same time. Your best bet is to keep building your fleet to the max limit though

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

It's a bad situation, but also a potentially exciting one to play out. I would go as defensive as possible. Park your fleet at a planet with a station and let them come to you. Try to get some Intel on their fleet and redesign your ships to counter it if you have time to do the upgrade. Remember to set your own defensive war goals if it's not too late so that you can capitalize on potentially beating that fleet and making some gains of your own.

On the wider diplomatic front, see if you can afford to pay off the zealots or the other neighbor to make them less likely to attack you and buy time. The AI loves receiving monthly mineral payments. Look for allies outside your neighbors, ideally get yourself a defensive pact to further discourage aggression.

Stellaris is most fun when it's roleplayed, I find, and that means it can still create dynamic and dramatic stories out of losing as much as it can from winning.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Thanks for your help guys;
Rolled back a couple of years to prepare for ships and platforms.
Fucker just went for one of my other planets. Oh well, probably not meant to be

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So which of the traditions is the "I want to kill and purge everyone" tradition? I appreciate the purity one was basically genocidal maniacs only, but it's a very popular game style and it doesn't really seem supported by any of these.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

So which of the traditions is the "I want to kill and purge everyone" tradition? I appreciate the purity one was basically genocidal maniacs only, but it's a very popular game style and it doesn't really seem supported by any of these.

None, we wanted to make the traditions less ethics-specific. There is something else coming for this but we're not ready to talk about it yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

purging is also already very well supported outside of the way the game handles sectors/terraforming at current. in earlier versions of the game, you could force purges on sector planets - now you can only allow purging and hope for the best. terraforming is also awkward because there is no way to ban a planet from migrations short of banning them empire-wide, so murdering the natives to enable terraforming is, in fact, quite difficult.

beyond that, the reasons you don't purge are happiness maluses on your pops (which is an ethic thing) and diplomatic repercussions. purges already happen pretty quick (like 2 years) and cost nothing to initiate. not sure what you'd go about doing with all that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roland Jones posted:

Here's the rest of the Domination tree, meanwhile:

I'm gonna go full Domination from the flavour text alone :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

None, we wanted to make the traditions less ethics-specific. There is something else coming for this but we're not ready to talk about it yet.

:argh: how the hell do you have so much great poo poo coming at once? This is the most frustrating patch wait ever.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

:argh: how the hell do you have so much great poo poo coming at once? This is the most frustrating patch wait ever.

My team is awesome, that's how. And yeah, we haven't shown nearly all the cool poo poo just yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And this is just the first major DLC. Wiz do you guys have some longer term plans? General ideas/priorities for the next few big game-changing expansions?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

And this is just the first major DLC. Wiz do you guys have some longer term plans? General ideas/priorities for the next few big game-changing expansions?

Of course. You can get an idea for some of them here.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My personal Paradox Curse is playing 30+ hour game, taking a break due to work/holiday/something else and coming back to find an amazing patch update or new mod and starting all over again...

Seriously I had this limited to CK2 but now this thing is starting to do the same, I only have so much free time guys

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Of course. You can get an idea for some of them here.

Ship appearance that differs for each empire, so no two empires' ships look exactly the same.
More story events and reactive narratives that give a sense of an unfolding story as you play.
More potential for empire customization, ability to build competitive 'tall' empires.
Deeper Federations that start out as loose alliances and can eventually be turned into single states through diplomatic manuevering.
Ability to set rights and obligations for particular species in your empire.
Global food that can be shared between planets.
Superweapons and planet killers.
Ability to construct space habitats and ringworlds.
More interesting mechanics for pre-FTL civilizations.
Factions that are proper interest groups with specific likes and dislikes and the potential to be a benefit to an empire instead of just being rebels.
A 'galactic community' with interstellar politics and a 'space UN'.
Buildable Dreadnoughts and Titans.

This DLC alone is check marking a quite a few of those items!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Daktari posted:

Absolutely do not restart, just build more ships and take their planets.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the Horizon Signal chain questions:

The end is just your system being turned into tomb worlds? No horrifying monster stepping through? No leviathan scale threat to the galaxy buddying up to you if you say you love the Worm? The image for the final event choice shows the Dimensional Horror that resides in black hole systems showing up. Does it do anything to it? Or does it spawn another one that can potentially like you?

Seems a bit anti-climactic for such a huge build up.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/829340045043724289

Do not do this.

I think I'm going to be messing around with Spiritualists/Psionics for the first time in 1.5.

Petitioning mods to change the thread tag to YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

I mean if any game devs have earnt my trust its you guys, but I guess i'm not talking about ethics specifically, more about game play styles and types of empires you can play.

If we look at the tradition groups so far, you have:

- Exploration, which is exploring and science, but the flavour text around it and the bonuses all sort of imply a sort of techy and science driven society
- Diplomacy, which is trying to be nice to everyone and form federations etc
- Domination, which is about subjugating other empires and making them serve you
- Harmony, which is about making everyone get along
- Expansion, which is about grabbing loads of land

(and I missing one? I can't remember)

Diplomacy and domination seem to me to be basically two sides of the same playstyle. Both are about grabbing hold of other empires and using them to bolster yourself and your goals, but one is as equals and the other is as their overlords.

Exploration and expansion seem to mesh well too, being a sort of frontier world settling and research type of poo poo like the Federation.

Harmony seems to be about making everyone get along with each other.

But where are all the arsehole traditions?

Where is the "I'm going to brainwash my population to be drooling idiots for the most part so they never rise up"? It may be because I've only seen all the traditions individually but it all reads as various shades of nice, with the exception of domination.

Edit: Realised I was missing prosperity, but that doesn't seem particularly evil either. I just like playing the bad guys ok?

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 8, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Petitioning mods to change the thread tag to YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

Not exactly what you were looking for, but close enough?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the current best supported and most mechanically sound way to win the game is to divide, vassalize, and then optionally exterminate anyone who opposes you

so you're looking at taking their harmony, then their freedom, and then ultimately their lives

playing the bad guy is loving COVERED right now imo and i'm literally in the middle of a Suffer Not The Alien run

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I mean seriously, we have five different modes of genocide in Utopia. I think we have the evil bit covered even without a Tradition for it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Speaking of vassalizing people, how do you vassalize new nations created by liberation wars? I get the option to make them a protectorate, but it seems the only way to vassalize people is through war.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Serf posted:

Speaking of vassalizing people, how do you vassalize new nations created by liberation wars? I get the option to make them a protectorate, but it seems the only way to vassalize people is through war.

a protectorate is simply a vassal who blows rear end at research. (more specifically, they have less than 40% of your total technologies)

force a protectorateship on them and they will eventually tech up to the point where they become your vassal instead. protectorates get an 80% research bonus on anything you have researched.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Poil posted:

It'd be cool if you could have tomb worlds as a preferred planet type

You can do this at least 2 different ways that I'm thinking of.

Archonex posted:

The end is just your system being turned into tomb worlds?

Seems a bit anti-climactic for such a huge build up.

Yeah, but now you have 15 colonizeable worlds in a single system!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coolguye posted:

protectorates get an 80% research bonus on anything you have researched.

I wish there was some way to force myself into becoming an FE's protectorate. The best I've been able to do is liberate their worlds, vassalize the new empire, and then enter into a tech treaty, but that's only a 25% discount not 80%.

EDIT: quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but close enough?

:vince:

• Locked thread