Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So wait, am I getting this right

Intel is concerned about Ryzen, which is launching soon. AMD seems on the upswing and Ryzen promises to meet or exceed expectations. Meanwhile, Intel has had massive lay offs and is going through a bit of a boondoggle while this is happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

So wait, am I getting this right

Intel is concerned about Ryzen, which is launching soon. AMD seems on the upswing and Ryzen promises to meet or exceed expectations. Meanwhile, Intel has had massive lay offs and is going through a bit of a boondoggle while this is happening?

Thanks Obama

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is some funny stuff right there.

Funny thing, is a few of the guys here actually got in on the AMD stock around the time it was in the $1-2 range (for a good chunk I hear,) so they must be pretty happy at this point.

i regret not going more in ofc

shoulda just rolled a bunch of amd options too :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
i mean anyone who didn't act on the perf leaks was just dumb as heck + I hedged w/ Nvidia as a play on GPUs given the DEEEEEEP LEARNING hype train is peaking and it was a good 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Oh god, could there be a time where even Intel has to spin off it's fabs? My understanding is that between Intel and AMD, it's only a contest because Intel has the planetary sized boat anchor known as fab expenses keeping it in check.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I love how they dismiss the amount of cores as a performance factor, just to end the paragraph highlighting the availability of a 10-core of their own.

Did they issue something like that before, whenever AMD released a CPU?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly I just want less hype and more real performance numbers. This Gulftown machine is showing its age.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

kirtar posted:

Honestly I just want less hype and more real performance numbers. This Gulftown machine is showing its age.

I find it hilarious that some are more than willing to spend north of $500 for AMD that amounts to virtually imperceptible boosts over a OC 2500K for gaming purposes, but $400 for a GTX 1070? That's called Ngreedia.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Palladium posted:

I find it hilarious that some are more than willing to spend north of $500 for AMD that amounts to virtually imperceptible boosts over a OC 2500K for gaming purposes, but $400 for a GTX 1070? That's called Ngreedia.

Do you always bring up these weird non sequiturs?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"stuff like autocad and high-resolution video encoding and processing use like 1% cpu power, you will never need anything more than a g3258 486" --palladium and go3

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 8, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

also people stopped caring about nvidia prices as soon as the aibs came out and made FEs irrelevant

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Like can someone find the posts in this thread where people use Ngreedia unironically while we discuss processors, or where people are seriously discussing the top model Ryzen for gaming use? Palladium please stop fighting the TPU/HardOCP/WCCFTech phantoms, this is SA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

he'd be one of the mythical "Cult of The Salt Statue of Pentium 4" if he didn't like nvidia (which, most of us actually do like nvidia as well) but he sure is living in 2011 all the time when people still barely gave a poo poo about fanboy rivalry

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'll actually admit to kind of liking the Pentium 4 from a morbid curiosity pov. I have an M stepping Prescott still which are apparently crazy OCers (for a Pentium 4) and I keep feeling the temptation of building a system around it to see what I'd get out of it.

It's me, I'm the guy who opens the necronomicon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the first-gen atom processor doing the same work a bone stock prescott pentium 4 did 4 years later with 1/10 the power really impressed me at the time

and i'm also similarly impressed by the N3700 being a 6w Q6600. if only they didn't cock up their atom chips for important poo poo!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's really need from a perspective of knowing a bit about pipelines and stuff and how insane the replay engine in the Pentium 4 is. The clock targets of the architecture were higher than a modest scheduler could handle so they had ridiculously deep pipelines and an overeager scheduler that just tried to fill up the pipelines with whatever would fit in them. The replay engine would catch the stuff that couldn't actually be executed yet and just keep throwing it at the end of the pipeline over and over until it worked.

Turns out in most situations this makes your processor incredibly slow, hungry, and warm because all the execution units are being filled with the same crap they can't actually work with.

NetBurst. There's a reason they eventually dropped it and went back to a microarchitecture from 8 years behind, shoved it full of new features on a then-modern node, clocked it up, and started working on more efficient and better scaling multi-core packages.

e: Also there was going to be Tejas, a 150W TDP single-core Pentium 4, but the people at Intel had the good sense to throw all that crap out and release Yonah and eventually the first Conroe Core 2 chips.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 8, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am unironically considering the 8c/16t as an upgrade to my 4.3GHz 2600k. Moar Cores.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m all about that single‐thread performance.

More cores are tolerate so long as they don’t sabotage that. :commissar:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the first-gen atom processor doing the same work a bone stock prescott pentium 4 did 4 years later with 1/10 the power really impressed me at the time

and i'm also similarly impressed by the N3700 being a 6w Q6600. if only they didn't cock up their atom chips for important poo poo!

I think Intel missed the boat making socketed Atoms to compete with AMD's AM1 platform.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I think Intel missed the boat making socketed Atoms to compete with AMD's AM1 platform.
it's a tiny margin part either way and most people in that market never upgrade their CPU and just want something that's cheap and can play facebook games. it is pretty amazing what games you can play with an AM1 processor though, something the intel equivalents choke on for more reasons than PCIe x1.

and AMD hasn't figured out how to put beema and puma on AM1 lol so the socket is more or less pointless

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What now? I had no idea the mobile Atoms had come that far, that's really impressive. Is Goldmont actually really badass and just nobody noticed? The N4200 is about 30% faster per clock than N3700, so should be the same as a 3GHz core 2 quad?!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's a tiny margin part either way and most people in that market never upgrade their CPU and just want something that's cheap and can play facebook games

and AMD hasn't figured out how to put beema and puma on AM1 lol so the socket is more or less pointless

AM1 has been effectively replaced by A300 and A320 boards, it's just up to AMD to make 14nm Puma++ cores to put in them. But yeah it was a tragedy AMD never really supported AM1 enough.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

What now? I had no idea the mobile Atoms had come that far, that's really impressive. Is Goldmont actually really badass and just nobody noticed? The N4200 is about 30% faster per clock than N3700, so should be the same as a 3GHz core 2 quad?!
yeah, it uses 12w though, but still pretty :catdrugs:

what's killing the game performance though is that you can only run cards on pcie x1 throughout the atom-desktop line so the fastest card you can use is maybe a 750ti and it'll be bus-limited

while the am1 athlon 5350 can saturate up to an rx 470 or 1060 3gb

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331317&page_number=2

Apparently Zen cores are smaller than the competing Intel cores (I presume broadwell?)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

AM1 has been effectively replaced by A300 and A320 boards, it's just up to AMD to make 14nm Puma++ cores to put in them. But yeah it was a tragedy AMD never really supported AM1 enough.

AMDs roadmaps show Raven Ridge covering the whole 6-35w range, so we probably won't see much done with cat cores besides shrinking them for console SoCs.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently Zen cores are smaller than the competing Intel cores (I presume broadwell?)

2 MB L3/core would point to Skylake, I think.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

I am unironically considering the 8c/16t as an upgrade to my 4.3GHz 2600k. Moar Cores.

Same, but 4.4/2500K. Also happy that I bought 300 shares of AMD at $9, although tempered a bit by the fact that I got skittish and put in a sell order for 100 of them over the weekend right before they jumped another $1.50. At least I've locked in some gains so I won't get completely washed out if Ryzen is somehow a bust and they drop like a rock though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Eletriarnation posted:

Same, but 4.4/2500K. Also happy that I bought 300 shares of AMD at $9, although tempered a bit by the fact that I got skittish and put in a sell order for 100 of them over the weekend right before they jumped another $1.50. At least I've locked in some gains so I won't get completely washed out if Ryzen is somehow a bust and they drop like a rock though.
You probably already know this but don't try too hard to time things or reach a ideal peak in profit margin on a sale, you did good locking in some decent gains!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I am you, you are me :shobon::hf::shobon:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's not entirely clear if that's comparing the entire die including the iGPU. That said the more compact cache footprint suggests it might be excluding the GPU.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 8, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

kirtar posted:

It's not entirely clear if that's comparing the entire die including the iGPU. That said the more compact cache footprint suggests it might be excluding the GPU.

It's just 4 cores + shared L3 cache.The full Ryzen die is ~190mm2.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah, it uses 12w though, but still pretty :catdrugs:

what's killing the game performance though is that you can only run cards on pcie x1 throughout the atom-desktop line so the fastest card you can use is maybe a 750ti and it'll be bus-limited

while the am1 athlon 5350 can saturate up to an rx 470 or 1060 3gb

Thats pretty insane. I'd like to see a side by side personally but I don't doubt that they have gotten this good. Unfortunate about the stupid PCI-E limit though.

An Unlocked Atom to mess with and OC would be kind of fun too. Since you could get a Q6600 to around 3.6Ghz with a little finesse, an atom at that speed would be pretty amazing if the power usage can be kept in check.

Reminds me of the old Pentium DC's back then. E2180 1.6ghz of fury that you could push to 3.6Ghz+ and get within striking distance of OC'ed E6600's for like $60 vs $200~

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone ever struggled to physically install a graphics card? New rx480 wont sit in the slot on the board. It fits the case, my 780 fit like a piece of toast. This thing gets in the slot and justbwont click when i line it up and push down. What am i doing wrong do i need amd grease

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone ever struggled to physically install a graphics card? New rx480 wont sit in the slot on the board. It fits the case, my 780 fit like a piece of toast. This thing gets in the slot and justbwont click when i line it up and push down. What am i doing wrong do i need amd grease

Does your PCIE slot have a little catch, that pops up when the card is removed? Make sure it's open.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Get a mobile phone and set it to record a video while you are installing the card from board level. Review this video to see whats going wrong.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Its the drat prongs on the backplate, they wont go through the slots on my cases backplate. They look slightly bent. Guess thats ebay for you. Wondered why it was £195 for this thing

eames
May 9, 2009

First Ryzen price leaks?

https://www.techpowerup.com/230483/amds-ryzen-r7-8-core-16-thread-processor-prices-outed-for-europe

R7 1800X 8C/16T 4.0Ghz €599.99 (i7 6900K: 1109€) :stare:

R7 1700X 8C/16T 3.8GHz €439.99 (i7 7700K/6800K: 360/450€)

R7 1700 8C/16T 3.7GHz €389.95 (i7 7700: 330€)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
iirc, those prices were including taxes?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Yeah, that was including the VAT of approximately 20%, so $500 for the top SKU isn't out of the question in the US.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

First Ryzen price leaks?

https://www.techpowerup.com/230483/amds-ryzen-r7-8-core-16-thread-processor-prices-outed-for-europe

R7 1800X 8C/16T 4.0Ghz €599.99 (i7 6900K: 1109€) :stare:

R7 1700X 8C/16T 3.8GHz €439.99 (i7 7700K/6800K: 360/450€)

R7 1700 8C/16T 3.7GHz €389.95 (i7 7700: 330€)

The only thing you get for more than 200 euros more is 300mhz? Ha, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

The only thing you get for more than 200 euros more is 300mhz? Ha, gently caress that.

The question is how aggressively they're binned.

• Locked thread