Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I wonder if you can have plex use any agent you want. I know you can reconfigure the order of agents being used, though.

You can but I had a lot of difficulty trying to use the ones I installed, like the AniDB one for better anime info than TVDB.

The one needed most is TVMaze, and a guy was working on it and had a Github up, but ran into challenges the Plex team could solve but a freelance coder likely can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone benchmarked their Shield TVs to see how many transcodes they can generally get going? I know it greatly depends on the source files, but assuming modern codecs, etc. Also for direct play, will it still do that instead of transcoding if the device outside of the LAN can play the file?

I saw a video review on this and, IIRC, it can comfortably do 2x FHD streams, 3x if you want to really push it with some dropped frames.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkcentre-m92p-intel-i5-desktop?ref=el_gh_cp_3_d_ph

Quick update for a <24-hour sale on a decent prebuilt system for PMS.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P, i5-3470, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, Win10 Pro, $300. Refurbished, but a good deal compared to something like the TS140.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Anyone using Ombi? It seems pretty awesome but I can't seem to find a way to edit the newsletter contents.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

A week or two ago plex player on my first gen Fire TV started acting oddly. Whenever I try and play a file it gives me the error: "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media server has been lost." Which is super weird, because the server is local and set up to connect via IP and it's still serving all the actual names of of the files. And I can, for instance, play stuff through the web interface on my local network just fine. It's only my Fire TV! I tried clearing the cache, clearing the data, reinstalling the app, restarting the plex server, no dice. Any thoughts? I can't find anything like it on their forums.

edit: I reset my Fire TV and that did it

Grimson fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Any suggestions for fixing buffering problems

To be more specific, almost 99% of the time when I play a movie or TV show from plex on my PC to my ATV, it will load instantly and play fine .... and then stop between 20-50% of the way through.

Every. Time

I've let it sit for ages and it never continues. It just shows the loading circle

If I back out all the way to the atv home screen and then continue where it left off , the video plays fine from there on in

There is no specific video , it's everything I play

I can stream Netflix no problems , its only plex content

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are either your Plex server or your Plex client wireless?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Are either your Plex server or your Plex client wireless?

Nope, the Plex server (my pc) and the ATV are connected via a 500Mbps Powerline Adaptor

Plex Server is on cable FTTH, 250/10

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I had to guess, funkiness going on with the powerline adapter. They are generally more reliable than wireless but can still run into problems. Can you ping from your Plex server to your AppleTV while streaming and see if you drop a bunch of packets at some point? Also, does it happen if you try to force a power bitrate on the stream? If you go into the "Status" on the Plex server web interface it will also generally tell you a little info about what is going on with individual streaming sessions, may shine some light on the problem. Can you temporarily run an ethernet cord instead of powerline just for troubleshooting?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If I had to guess, funkiness going on with the powerline adapter. They are generally more reliable than wireless but can still run into problems. Can you ping from your Plex server to your AppleTV while streaming and see if you drop a bunch of packets at some point? Also, does it happen if you try to force a power bitrate on the stream? If you go into the "Status" on the Plex server web interface it will also generally tell you a little info about what is going on with individual streaming sessions, may shine some light on the problem. Can you temporarily run an ethernet cord instead of powerline just for troubleshooting?

PInging while streaming a show

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 234, Received = 234, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 7ms

It only jumped up to 50-90ms while loading (about 6 packets worth of data) and then dropped back down to a stable 3-4ms while playing

And no packet loss whatsoever

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I recently found out my Plex server was severely underpowered. If I make one of my modern laptops a server, everything plays fine regardless of wireless, powerline, or gig ethernet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

PInging while streaming a show

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 234, Received = 234, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 7ms

It only jumped up to 50-90ms while loading (about 6 packets worth of data) and then dropped back down to a stable 3-4ms while playing

And no packet loss whatsoever

Interesting. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling Plex on the AppleTV? Is it possibly low on storage? What does the Plex server status page say for that transcode session when the problem occurs?

porkface posted:

I recently found out my Plex server was severely underpowered. If I make one of my modern laptops a server, everything plays fine regardless of wireless, powerline, or gig ethernet.

Yeah, the Plex server status page would help here. Although I would think playing a video that is lower quality (the source video, not the transcode setting) would work better in this case. Also it sounds like it just started happening.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

To be more specific, almost 99% of the time when I play a movie or TV show from plex on my PC to my ATV, it will load instantly and play fine .... and then stop between 20-50% of the way through.

I had this problem with an 802.11n router and using a powerline adapter. It went away when I upgraded to 802.11a/c.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I had problems with powerline adapters. If you have the utility for your Powerline adapters you can see what speed they are actually synced at, which is probably lower than 500mbps. Mine were only syncing at 50 MBit, even though they were advertised as 500.

Also the advertised figures are a bit disingenuous for powerline adapters, 500Mbps is the total combined bandwidth usually, i.e. 250Mbs in each direction, assuming only 2 adapters.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
I've been using Plex for my music and finding it runs well. I was wondering about using it to store and play my DVDs +/- blu-rays on my HDD.

What is the best software for converting DVDs/blu-rays to .mp4 that runs best with plex? I know there are variations in terms of filesize etc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's worth noting that the Ethernet on the Apple TV is only 10/100, not gigabit, so if you don't have signal concerns it might actually be faster to go wireless.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GutBomb posted:

It's worth noting that the Ethernet on the Apple TV is only 10/100, not gigabit, so if you don't have signal concerns it might actually be faster to go wireless.

There is a reason for that... It just isn't needed. There are no streaming services that get close to needing 100Mbit, nor is anyone going to have local media that needs this, well, unless that local media is raw 4k Bluray rips... (Those can hit around 100Mbps)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sappo569 posted:

Every. Time

I've let it sit for ages and it never continues. It just shows the loading circle

If I back out all the way to the atv home screen and then continue where it left off , the video plays fine from there on in

There is no specific video , it's everything I play

I can stream Netflix no problems , its only plex content

What are the specs of your Plex server? Is your server doing complete audio/video transcodes when you play something from your Apple TV? You can check to see if your server is transcoding during playback on your Apple TV by opening up the Plex Web App on a PC/tablet/phone/whatever and going to the Status page (top right). Ideally, in a local Plex ecosystem, you don't want your server to be doing complete transcodes.

Depending on how all your media is encoded, the Apple TV is entirely capable of Direct Playing (no transcoding at all) and Direct Streaming (remuxing and/or transcoding incompatible audio) H264 encoded content with AC3 or AAC audio just fine. Direct Play and Direct Stream have minimal to zero impact on the Plex server's CPU usage, so playback should be instant without issue if the Plex app settings on your Apple TV are configured correctly.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2017

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
For me, running ethernet to my server would mean ripping up several walls, so I have it on AC wifi. I have tried a couple of brands of power line adapters and they were either too slow or unreliable - with random dropouts every minute or so. My current wifi set-up gives me ~300 mbit on the LAN and is 99.9% reliable, but it took some serious tinkering to get it there – the default linux drivers for the wifi stick were too slow, some versions would drop out randomly, one was reliable, except it invariably dropped connection when streaming anything to an ipad (and nothing else). I had to ditch NetworkManager for systemd-networkd, and so on and so forth. In short, run a cable at least between server and router, if it's at all possible.

Powerline adapter speed ratings are a bold-faced lie to start with and their performance depends hugely on your house's wiring – if the signal has to cross any circuit breakers it cripples the speed massively.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chippocrates posted:

What is the best software for converting DVDs/blu-rays to .mp4 that runs best with plex? I know there are variations in terms of filesize etc.

Use http://www.makemkv.com/ to rip the media and then https://handbrake.fr to convert to .mp4

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

chippocrates posted:

I've been using Plex for my music and finding it runs well. I was wondering about using it to store and play my DVDs +/- blu-rays on my HDD.

Make a list of them and steal them on Bittorrent. Seriously, those people are better at ripping than you'll ever be, especially the blurays.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Make a list of them and steal them on Bittorrent. Seriously, those people are better at ripping than you'll ever be, especially the blurays.

This is the correct answer. :filez:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If your :filez: aren't recent, you'll struggle to find a high bitrate source on most things. A few years ago 1080p movies came in at under 2Gb and that looks bad.
Also basically no one is doing anything to their rips in 2017 other than throwing them at handbrake. You can do this yourself for not much effort.
FWIW plex won't mind if you just throw raw .vob files at it on the DVD front.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 18, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

chippocrates posted:

As mentioned, MakeMKV is great and easy to use; you just open a disc with it and tell it which video files (i.e. the main movie plus any bonus features, although you have to manually identify the latter whereas the former will usually be the longest/largest video identified) you want and it dumps them all into a folder as MKV files. You don't need to have them as MP4 either, both in general and specifically for Plex to be able to work with them.

As far as transcoding your content goes, the video on DVDs is generally going to be MPEG-2, which I recommend transcoding (using the also aforementioned Handbrake) to HEVC because you can drastically cut down on the file size while retaining more or less the original quality. You could also use AVC for larger file sizes but better hardware & software compatibility.

BRDs usually have their video as AVC in the first place, so you can just rip using MakeMKV and be done with it. The only real change you can make here is transcoding to HEVC, which again will give you smaller file sizes for the same quality, but it takes significantly longer to transcode FHD content than the SD video from DVDs.

TheScott2K posted:

Uh, it takes a few clicks to rip something with MakeMKV; how can someone be "better" at that than others?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Uh, it takes a few clicks to rip something with MakeMKV; how can someone be "better" at that than others?
In the before-times, [XviD and DivX days] there was definitely an art to making 700mb rips look better than a smeary mess. Now? You're always better just throwing an extra 1mBit of encoder at a file if you reasonably suspect it needs it, rather than running 100 samples and trying to A/B which esoteric image control gives the best results.
The same logic for multi-pass encodes; just use more bitrate than you think gives a good result and go single pass and save time.

poo poo is easy these days.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Khablam posted:

In the before-times, [XviD and DivX days] there was definitely an art to making 700mb rips look better than a smeary mess. Now? You're always better just throwing an extra 1mBit of encoder at a file if you reasonably suspect it needs it, rather than running 100 samples and trying to A/B which esoteric image control gives the best results.
The same logic for multi-pass encodes; just use more bitrate than you think gives a good result and go single pass and save time.

I rip all my BD's with MakeMKV. My Freenas server has tons of storage so I don't bother re-encoding them. I just like having my untouched BD disks available in a good 10 foot interface (Plex or Kodi), instant loading, and no annoying pre-roll shenanigans. I'm happy to pay for my content, the the default disk delivery just sucks.

I use two LG WH16NS40 BD drives. These are excellent and generally rip - simultaneously - at 4-8x, sometimes higher depending on the disk. That translates in to about 20 minutes or so per normal BD movie. MakeMKV makes the process dead simple in a few clicks so the tedious job of ripping movies is much easier. I've done about 150 of my disks, including some TV shows.

As pointed out earlier ripping stuff these days is easy. It only takes longer if you are trying to save on file size. If you want your stuff in an MP4 container, use Handbrake after the mkv is created, if you are just switching containers it doesn't take long (though some stuff like subtitles can get jacked in the process). A better solution is get a Plex client system like a Shield that doesn't require server-side transcoding for MKV containers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone using Ombi? It seems pretty awesome but I can't seem to find a way to edit the newsletter contents.

I used it for a few days but then I updated it and it broke everything.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any channels for plex that let you just insert a URL to a live video stream like you can do with VLC? There's a live event being streamed today that I'd rather watch through my Roku than have to hook my laptop up to the tv.

Edit: I found one. It's called IPTV and you just add any m3u8 or m3u playlist to its internal one and it will add the stream to its available list.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 18, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

I agree with all of that. It was more about his comment that ripping - literally just pulling the content from the disc, without transcoding - was itself anything but easy, particularly nowadays. The transcoding part, like getting a 4+ GB DVD video to fit onto a CD-R at 700 MB, is indeed more complicated but that's a separate, albeit related topic.

The idea here is that you can rip an AVC video from a BRD and be done with it in one step, because the only meaningful change you can make is to transcode to HEVC for a better quality/size tradeoff. If you're still ripping DVDs it's worth it to transcode to AVC/HEVC though for a significant savings in disk space. (Last I checked I think my SD videos averaged 800 MB/hour, for anyone wondering.)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone know of a tool that will download and name multiple fanarts for plex? I use emby as well but they put their fanarts in a folder which I guess plex doesn't scan.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

kri kri posted:

Does anyone know of a tool that will download and name multiple fanarts for plex? I use emby as well but they put their fanarts in a folder which I guess plex doesn't scan.

Plex doesnt really scan locally stored art, not the way emby does. At least it never worked for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Local art works for me, I store them alongside my media.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's an option in your agent settings.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I really like the new UI they just released. Looks way cleaner in my opinion.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

DaRealAce posted:

I really like the new UI they just released. Looks way cleaner in my opinion.

Which platform ?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

Which platform ?

The web interface. Patchnotes from Reddit, I don't use their forums. Loads much faster, has more views and other nice additions. Much better now IMO.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you manually update your content with the latest update?

Edit - you update from the category listing on the left now.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 3, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The new UI threw me for a loop when it hit, but a little while with it and everything does now feel like it's in a better place; each location change they've made either groups logical buttons or removes a needed click/page change.

If anyone is manually holding out on it for some reason, update it, it's cool and good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lol people in that Reddit thread threatening to cancel their Plex pass because the fan art size changed. Some people man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Lol people in that Reddit thread threatening to cancel their Plex pass because the fan art size changed. Some people man

"I'm gonna cancel my Plex Pass" threat is the single most meaningless whine on the official forums as well. I get "vote with your dollars" and all that, but when it's overused to this point it's lost all meaning.

The only metric Plex would look at is people who actually did cancel the pass and stopped sending them money. A lot of times especially on "unofficial" support forums people seem to genuinely believe there's someone from the company in question there keeping a tally or something.