Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Monitor Burn posted:

Did anyone ever get those Sega CD patches to work?

I was able to use the included auto-patching script. Never had to do anything manually aside from adjusting the cue sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Neo Rasa posted:

This and its sequel are two of my favorite shooters ever, the presentation is just too good.

Then you'll want this rare resin kit of the two main characters! It's only 30,000 yen! It wouldn't surprise me if the developers themselves made these kits in their spare time. Trouble Shooter / Battle Mania is just that sort of game.

I love finding stuff like this. Maybe someone made toys for Boogie Wings or Vice: Project Doom.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BexGu posted:

Yeah, Nail Rat has done this about twice now in the Nintendo Classic Mini thread and didn't have any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9aCrSRzJAc

I was looking up this guy to work on some RetroPie stuff and ended up noticing his walk-through. Did a good job on breaking it down on to do the process to transfer stuff to the Classic Mini. Also amazed at some of the free tools people end up making that make stuff like this easy as possible. I would suggest cutting it down to the top 50 or so since the menus get a little weird with the full 700 games set.

Oh drat thanks! That makes it a lot easier.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I been looking into the MSU1 patches since my SD2SNES arrives today, and I managed to track down all the ones available except Chrono Trigger. I don't get why the only soundtrack supported is some fan orchestra remix that the guy is charging money for?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

So I been looking into the MSU1 patches since my SD2SNES arrives today, and I managed to track down all the ones available except Chrono Trigger. I don't get why the only soundtrack supported is some fan orchestra remix that the guy is charging money for?

Maybe he deserves to get paid for the thing he made? It's not a public service.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is a Nes Mini thread? I searched for it but I clearly must be missing it.

Does anyone have a link handy?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

He paid to license the Chrono Trigger music and produced an exceptional album with that license. So maybe pay him for it, guy who just spent $200 on a flashcart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That all I just wondering. I thought it was some fan soundtrack that Square could easily shut down for charging money for. That and I just wondering why there no alternative, as the still in beta Final Fantasy VI one has a similar orchestra soundtrack you can purchase to use with it, or some other options as well.

[edit]

Can you even get the flac version anymore? I looked at the website and the Loudr version are no longer available for purchase. They are still on itunes, but can you even get the flac version through them?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 8, 2017

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

There is a Nes Mini thread? I searched for it but I clearly must be missing it.

Does anyone have a link handy?
I think this is the one
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783186

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah it turns out I had the wrong version of the patch (and xdelta, since I used the link in the old patch's readme). Doesn't matter as the new non-GUI version of xdelta also gives the exact same error message in the CMD window. I don't know what you mean by auto-patcher? Is there some way to apply the xdelta patch automatically?

Maybe by next month I'll get to the point where I can start researching what "adjusting the cue sheet" means, what programs you need for that, and what version is compatible with this patch.

Also whoever decided that giant walls of block text (with no line breaks or spaces between paragraphs :wtc:) are still an acceptable format for instructions needs to gently caress off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh thanks I don't think I would have found that...

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

azurite posted:

My estranged grandfather passed away a couple weeks before Christmas and my uncle found these while going through his belongings. It's all in great shape with most of the pamphlets. I have no idea why he had them, but I'll take good care of them. :unsmith:

I had this exact same thing happen with my grandpa and an Intellivision, what's up buddy

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Maybe just a UNIX vs MS-DOS line break issue?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah it turns out I had the wrong version of the patch (and xdelta, since I used the link in the old patch's readme). Doesn't matter as the new non-GUI version of xdelta also gives the exact same error message in the CMD window. I don't know what you mean by auto-patcher? Is there some way to apply the xdelta patch automatically?

Maybe by next month I'll get to the point where I can start researching what "adjusting the cue sheet" means, what programs you need for that, and what version is compatible with this patch.

Also whoever decided that giant walls of block text (with no line breaks or spaces between paragraphs :wtc:) are still an acceptable format for instructions needs to gently caress off.

Drag and drop the bin file onto binpatch.bat, it should patch and spit out an iso and wav files. Burn with the provided cue sheet.

You'll need to view the readme in WordPad or Notepad++. It probably uses UNIX-style line breaks, which Notepad won't handle correctly.

e: fb

TheRedEye posted:

I had this exact same thing happen with my grandpa and an Intellivision, what's up buddy

:unsmith::respek::unsmith:

azurite fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 8, 2017

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Monitor Burn posted:

That's because notepad doesn't understand Linux/Mac line breaks. Open the file in WordPad or notepad++ and it will display fine.

Edit: dammit

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

azurite posted:

Drag and drop the bin file onto binpatch.bat, it should patch and spit out an iso and wav files. Burn with the provided cue sheet.

You'll need to view the readme in WordPad or Notepad++. It probably uses UNIX-style line breaks, which Notepad won't handle correctly.

e: fb

Wait, all I have to do is drag and drop the .bin file onto the batch file and burn it with the replacement .cue file? Why does the instructions then say to convert it to .iso and run xdelta?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Monitor Burn posted:

Wait, all I have to do is drag and drop the .bin file onto the batch file and burn it with the replacement .cue file? Why does the instructions then say to convert it to .iso and run xdelta?

This is what my readme for Popful Mail says:

h4xx0r readme posted:

--- AUTOMATIC PATCHING METHOD (WINDOWS) ---

If you're using Windows, move your disc image files into the same directory as
the program and do one of these as appropriate:
* If you have a BIN/CUE disc image, drag and drop the BIN file (or IMG file)
onto binpatch.bat.
* If you have an ISO/WAV disc image, drag and drop the ISO file onto
isopatch.bat. Note that your ISO/WAV files must use standard naming and
numbering, e.g. "File 01.iso", "File 02.wav", etc.

If everything works, this should produce the patched game under the name
"PopfulMailUnWorked_##". To play it, make sure the file "PopfulMailUnWorked.cue"
(included with the patch) is in the same directory as everything else and then
load it in an emulator, or burn it to a CD for use on real hardware.

If this doesn't work, try using the manual patching method below to diagnose the
problem.

EDIT: Missed your concerns about adjusting the cue sheet. I mentioned in the past that I ended up with truncated audio tracks and had to remove the INDEX 01 lines from modify the INDEX 01 lines to read zero seconds instead of two in the cue sheet. Since other people didn't have issues with it, YMMV I guess.

EDIT2: I mis-remembered what I did. poo poo!

EDIT3: I had to re-trace my steps and do everything again. This is the cue sheet that ended up working the best.

code:
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_01.iso" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO

azurite fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Well thats much easier to read. I completely missed the Manual Patching separator due to the poo poo formatting, so I thought you had to drag/drop the bin into the batch file, then convert the .ISO file using the instructions under Patching, which included running xdelta. What does "adjusting the cue sheets" require, and did you mean the one included with the patch, or the original one that came with the image?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

See my edit above. Sorry, I missed that.

EDIT: I meant the cue sheet included with the patch. My original one didn't work after patching. I should really learn to read entire posts.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

azurite posted:

See my edit above. Sorry, I missed that.

EDIT: I meant the cue sheet included with the patch. My original one didn't work after patching. I should really learn to read entire posts.

The worst part is I spent like 15 minutes in notepad trying to make that readme legible and still couldn't navigate it properly. I'll go and install notepad++ so that I won't have to deal with this again in 6 months when some new translation or fix gets released.

Edit: thanks for the cue sheet fix, I was getting a 2 second audio delay before.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Install linux, problem solved. :smug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

That's because notepad doesn't understand Linux/Mac line breaks. Open the file in WordPad or notepad++ and it will display fine.

Edit: dammit

They've only had this error (and it really is an error since it's not handling line break codes correctly) in notepad for thirty years. I'm sure they'll fix it any day now.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Random Stranger posted:

They've only had this error (and it really is an error since it's not handling line break codes correctly) in notepad for thirty years. I'm sure they'll fix it any day now.

If you asked people in Microsoft, they'd fire back and say that "we're doing it right, everybody else is doing it wrong."

Which basically goes all the way back to the days of typewriters where every time you had a line break, you had to send a CARRIAGE RETURN message to move the print head back to the beginning of the line, and a LINE FEED to move the page up by one line so that the print head is typing on the second line.

Microsoft says that you absolutely have to have both for a new line, and when Bell Labs made UNIX, they said "ehhh, if you just use line feed, that you also want a carriage return is pretty loving obvious."

And Microsoft has dug their heels in ever since.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5994944786.html

Sorry to resurrect the PVM chat, but these just popped up locally and i have no idea how a PGM differs from a PVM, or if this PGM model is any good. These are just down the road from me, are they at all worth picking one up? I'm just using an old non-flat CRT at the moment.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Agrias120 posted:

Sorry to resurrect the PVM chat, but these just popped up locally and i have no idea how a PGM differs from a PVM, or if this PGM model is any good. These are just down the road from me, are they at all worth picking one up? I'm just using an old non-flat CRT at the moment.

I don't know for sure but uhhhhh that's an RGB 27" Trinitron for $200, if you can afford it I'd call that a steal unless there's something just terribly obviously wrong with PGM that I don't know about. I'd be in my car driving there right now tbh.

Edit: I looked around, it's a 31khz monitor. So, a REALLY NICE 480p monitor for stuff like Wii/PS2/Dreamcast/emulators, but might not do 240p 15khz? I'd still grab one myself though, but I might be kind of extreme as far as that goes.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 8, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

This thread seems to imply it won't do 240p.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15833

Thank God, I'm in DC right now and don't want to be tempted to figure out how to get one home.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Hey buddy. Found this dirty rear end Pulstar in Japan surprisingly. Wasn't cheap but was way way cheaper than they have been going for.

That is highly baller, and yeah Japan B&M prices for highly desirable arcade stuff are pretty good compared to the western world and online.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you asked people in Microsoft, they'd fire back and say that "we're doing it right, everybody else is doing it wrong."

Which basically goes all the way back to the days of typewriters where every time you had a line break, you had to send a CARRIAGE RETURN message to move the print head back to the beginning of the line, and a LINE FEED to move the page up by one line so that the print head is typing on the second line.

Microsoft says that you absolutely have to have both for a new line, and when Bell Labs made UNIX, they said "ehhh, if you just use line feed, that you also want a carriage return is pretty loving obvious."

And Microsoft has dug their heels in ever since.

Because the method Microsoft used was common on tons of systems, ranging from expensive mainframes to many microcomputers. For a while Macs did neither method, they used only Carriage Return, before switching to using only Line Feed with OS X. And then there were tons more systems that cooked their own non-ASCII standard codes to indicate a new line specifically.

Incidentally, sending just a line feed or just a carriage return to actual printers or teletypes was used for drawing complex things using just text, or could be used to do things like faking bold by typing the same character twice, faking underline by going to the beginning of the line and overprinting underscores, etc. Planning for/allowing for this is why the ASCII standard explicitly requires the two separate commands, and why Microsoft and all the other companies that also require CR+LF are simply following the standard instead of trying to save a few bytes here and there by only using 1 control character.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

buy that poo poo now

e: wow the listing disappeared

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 8, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fishmech posted:

Because the method Microsoft used was common on tons of systems, ranging from expensive mainframes to many microcomputers. For a while Macs did neither method, they used only Carriage Return, before switching to using only Line Feed with OS X. And then there were tons more systems that cooked their own non-ASCII standard codes to indicate a new line specifically.

Incidentally, sending just a line feed or just a carriage return to actual printers or teletypes was used for drawing complex things using just text, or could be used to do things like faking bold by typing the same character twice, faking underline by going to the beginning of the line and overprinting underscores, etc. Planning for/allowing for this is why the ASCII standard explicitly requires the two separate commands, and why Microsoft and all the other companies that also require CR+LF are simply following the standard instead of trying to save a few bytes here and there by only using 1 control character.

All I know is it makes being an admin more difficult, because people say, "Oh my job is failing can you put this input file there instead, Mr. Root?" Then they scratch their heads about why their job's still not working until I get fed up and run dos2unix.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

on pre OSX macs bbedit was the defacto standard for text editing which handled UNIX documents fine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh thanks I don't think I would have found that...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm, perhaps I should get my NES Mini thread renamed, it didn't exactly go the way I was anticipating when they had just announced the thing.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm a nintendo fanboy and bought a WII U on release night. There was no line.

I am already disappointed in the switch.
I tell you this because you are my only friends and I have nowhere else to go.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

d0s posted:

buy that poo poo now

e: wow the listing disappeared
Still works for me - ten PGM-2710s for $200 each, right?

(they look GORGEOUS :eyepop:)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Hmmm, perhaps I should get my NES Mini thread renamed, it didn't exactly go the way I was anticipating when they had just announced the thing.

Well I mean it kinda did... It still hard to find the drat thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Yeah, but this battle was lost by the end of the 80's and the standards naturally drifted. Refusing to handle ASCII text the way it's used everywhere else (including their own products), at this point is just silly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, but this battle was lost by the end of the 80's and the standards naturally drifted. Refusing to handle ASCII text the way it's used everywhere else (including their own products), at this point is just silly.

Except they do handle it the way it's used "everywhere else", Windows is the dominant platform. The standards didn't drift, they're still the same as ever.

You should probably ask why the AT&T engineers never bothered to get with the standard at some point in the 70s.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PVM chat is back and we still don't have an :rgb: emotic---oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yesss

• Locked thread