Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I think that if you're in a hotel where you need a browser to access wifi, you can just log in with your phone, then create a wifi hotspot with said phone and connect from the Switch.

It's easy enough, but it's still a really weird idea to have a tablet-like device that has no browser or netflix functionality. Also, my wife will be pissed she can't watch Netflix on it because I traded the WiiU, her Netflix box, in to get a Switch and now it won't have Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Natron posted:

I think that if you're in a hotel where you need a browser to access wifi, you can just log in with your phone, then create a wifi hotspot with said phone and connect from the Switch.

That doesn't work.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Natron posted:

It's easy enough, but it's still a really weird idea to have a tablet-like device that has no browser or netflix functionality. Also, my wife will be pissed she can't watch Netflix on it because I traded the WiiU, her Netflix box, in to get a Switch and now it won't have Netflix.

Your phone is using its Wifi antenna to either connect to wifi or produce the hotspot, not both.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reggie, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of Nintendo handhelds has taught us it's that ROMs will not be contained. ROMs break free, it expands to new consoles and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

You're implying that a console composed entirely of standard ports and no web browser will...be broken?

No. I'm, I'm simply saying that the scene, uh... finds a way.

:golfclap:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nintendo 3DS saves are encrypted with your console's unique identifier, which you cannot retrieve without hacking it. You can't just download a hacked save and load it up like you could a PSP. You've always had to use some other method to inject hacked saves to the 3DS. So yeah, there's that.

True for digital games, not for cartridge titles. Though Cubic Ninja did require the QR code to load the files off the SD, I wouldn't doubt if people find methods into the Switch with amiibo spoofers or whatever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A few months back Nintendo put a ad out for hackers to come in and try to get into the 3DS/Wii-U.

What are the odds that was a dummy ad and they were actually trying to get people in to try to crack the Switch?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Natron posted:

Try this and report back.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Your phone is using its Wifi antenna to either connect to wifi or produce the hotspot, not both.

Well that sucks then. I think I must be thinking of physically tethering, which would also not work with the Switch.

Hopefully they get their poo poo together and this is just something that's missing at launch, not forever.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A few months back Nintendo put a ad out for hackers to come in and try to get into the 3DS/Wii-U.

What are the odds that was a dummy ad and they were actually trying to get people in to try to crack the Switch?

I feel like we'd know more about the Switch if this was the case

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 8, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's a given that any console is going to get hacked eventually, the point of reducing attack vectors is to delay when that "eventually" happens

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

True for digital games, not for cartridge titles. Though Cubic Ninja did require the QR code to load the files off the SD, I wouldn't doubt if people find methods into the Switch with amiibo spoofers or whatever.

Cartridges don't really allow you to import saves to them. Ocarina of Time was a popular game to use as an entrypoint, but getting the save to the cart was the hard part, so you'd still need a hack somewhere first.

As for Cubic Ninja, wasn't it a flaw in how it loaded levels? And the QR codes were just level data. Yeah, that's a pretty big attack vector.

I think Amiibos are signed, though. I looked into Amiibo spoofing once, people have done it with certain NFC tags.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The current process of getting homebrew to work on a 3DS tedious and scary enough that most people aren't going to do it. For the Regular DS, you just order a sketchy flashcart off the internet, throw some games on an SD card and you're stealing. The process for 3DS involves downloading around 20 files, moving files around, doing things on the 3DS, taking the SD card in and out and then there are several steps where you get warnings like "DON'T DO THIS THING OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DS, IMMEDIATELY MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP." I think that's obfuscated enough that someone who really wants to steal games will, and any casual is going to look at this and say "Eh, I'll just buy an eshop card." Nintendo will probably succeed at protecting the switch as long as the homebrew process isn't just "go to the URL and homebrew channel installs itself and you can download whatever game you want for free."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Just have a browser, it's not that hard. gently caress

Ok. gently caress

I never said not to. gently caress

I was asking if you needed one to sign into wifi. gently caress

Others, including Nintendo, seem to think it's not worth the trouble to include. gently caress

Do you have anything constructive to add to the conversation or do you just want to say gently caress?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah, those were bounties. There are a lot of freelance white hat hackers who will take the opportunity to hack. Hell, the person who cracked open the Wii U didn't own a single game for it. For them, hardware hacking is the game.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Switch will have a web browser but it will be called "Web Bowser"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

The current process of getting homebrew to work on a 3DS tedious and scary enough that most people aren't going to do it. For the Regular DS, you just order a sketchy flashcart off the internet, throw some games on an SD card and you're stealing. The process for 3DS involves downloading around 20 files, moving files around, doing things on the 3DS, taking the SD card in and out and then there are several steps where you get warnings like "DON'T DO THIS THING OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DS, IMMEDIATELY MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP." I think that's obfuscated enough that someone who really wants to steal games will, and any casual is going to look at this and say "Eh, I'll just buy an eshop card." Nintendo will probably succeed at protecting the switch as long as the homebrew process isn't just "go to the URL and homebrew channel installs itself and you can download whatever game you want for free."

That's effectively how the Wii got hacked (at one point, anyway, iirc), and that's how Homebrew (not piracy) worked on the 3DS for a while. And it's how the Vita works. Honestly the 3DS hacking setup has gotten extremely simplified in the last few months, and once it's done the "user experience" is quite clean and simple. I don't think it's a matter of the degree to which you must make an active effort to hack, I think it's just the fact you have to make an effort that keeps people from doing it. The iPhone/iPod literally "click on this website, you're jailbroken" for a while and it didn't really take off with the general populace either.

The population of people who care enough about their devices to think about how they work and do more than "tap and play" is not very big these days.

as an aside, apparently Nintendo just nuked Homebrew in the latest 3DS update, but left Piracy alone :psyduck:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No camera on the Switch, right? No QR codes then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Phimosissy posted:

Ok. gently caress

I never said not to. gently caress

I was asking if you needed one to sign into wifi. gently caress

Others, including Nintendo, seem to think it's not worth the trouble to include. gently caress

Do you have anything constructive to add to the conversation or do you just want to say gently caress?

Oooooowee

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

devtesla posted:

No camera on the Switch, right? No QR codes then.

just user your phone stupid!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As for Cubic Ninja, wasn't it a flaw in how it loaded levels? And the QR codes were just level data. Yeah, that's a pretty big attack vector.

Yeah but I think at some part during the process you inject the messed up save or something onto the cartridge itself and now the cartridge is a permanent entry point (until it was patched in a later firmware I think). I wonder if the same thing will happen where all it takes it one person with a modded cartridge and corrupt save to pass around to open it up.

Cojawfee posted:

It's been really simplified since and is pretty streamlined, though I don't suspect most people will want to do it, instead they'll pay someone $50 to do it for them and just benefits of poo poo like Freeshop.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Piracy will be real easy on Switch. To play NES games, you just use your phone to download an NES emulator and play games on that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Wii is the greatest homebrew console of all time. I'm going to have that fucker until my deathbed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Big news, Switch only having 32gb of onboard memory is no longer a concern, as you will be able to back up your files with a password system based on several 6x6 grids with blue and red dots.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the Wii mode of a Wii U is just as easy as well, and it's worth it for nintendont

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm at this point seriously considering attempting to get an early-model Switch because of the hacking potential. Not that I know what I'd do with whatever eventual hacks come up, but because I'd then have more options of what I could do with the hardware.

I've hacked just about all my systems on principle. I think the most use I've gotten out of the hacks is on the 3DS -- I installed some games I bought to the SD card so I didn't have to carry them around, I got to randomize the spawns in and massively increase the difficulty of Pokemon, and I got to play a few games with Japanese audio because the English dubs bothered me.

If I don't get a first-generation Switch then I won't get first-generation hacks, which means I won't have that shiny useless badge of honor for the few years it takes for hacks to do anything meaningful.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Wii homebrewers: Windows XP running on my Wii? I don't see why not

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

as an aside, apparently Nintendo just nuked Homebrew in the latest 3DS update, but left Piracy alone :psyduck:

I suspect they don't have any real way to prevent piracy without breaking the eShop entirely, with the way tickets work. And with the firmware version checks in 11.3, it'll be harder for anyone with an updated 3DS to get to the point of being able to pirate stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm at this point seriously considering attempting to get an early-model Switch because of the hacking potential. Not that I know what I'd do with whatever eventual hacks come up, but because I'd then have more options of what I could do with the hardware.

I've hacked just about all my systems on principle. I think the most use I've gotten out of the hacks is on the 3DS -- I installed some games I bought to the SD card so I didn't have to carry them around, I got to randomize the spawns in and massively increase the difficulty of Pokemon, and I got to play a few games with Japanese audio because the English dubs bothered me.

If I don't get a first-generation Switch then I won't get first-generation hacks, which means I won't have that shiny useless badge of honor for the few years it takes for hacks to do anything meaningful.

Buying full price hardware in the hope that someone someday will figure out how to hack it for you doesn't seem smart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

Big news, Switch only having 32gb of onboard memory is no longer a concern, as you will be able to back up your files with a password system based on several 6x6 grids with blue and red dots.

Megaman system was still better than Metroid, especially for kids. Is that a zero or an o? 5 or s? 1 or L? drat THIS PASSWORD IS USELESS HOURS OF GAMEPLAY GONE

thanks, Justin Bailey, whoever the hell you are!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need to find a good tech sling bag that can hold a switch case + like one whole sandwich and a water bottle. Nothing more

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why not just get a switch case with a sandwich slot, attach your own strap and then get a water bottle with a carabiner to attach to the strap?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What kinda sandwich we talkin' here? Like a PB&J or like a sub?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Just a standard 6 foot party sub

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Just a standard 6 foot party sub

Gotta wear the XXL cargo pockets today, then

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm getting a sheka slate whatzit bag from the super edition of the zelda, the sandwhich is whatever link is eating so i can eat when link is eating.
need a small go bag for the case and a lil bit more.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope the Switch has netflix, the gamepad on my Wii U was used a lot as house portable netflix

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope the Switch has Crunchyroll

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

I hope the Switch has netflix, the gamepad on my Wii U was used a lot as house portable netflix

Did something happen to it?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't imagine wanting another device that I can use for Netflix.

Like if you plan to use a console for Netflix and the Switch is your only console and doesn't support Netflix, just buy a Chromecast and download the Netflix app on your phone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone earlier in the thread wanted Shadows of the Empire on the Switch, well it just got released on Steam today so maybe there's a chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just superglue a sandwich holder to the back of your Switch

• Locked thread