Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

the united states hasn't been on the cutting edge of poo poo for a while now, please don't assume we have anything

I was positively stunned when I went to get my license renewed last time that our local DMV was actually accepting credit cards at that point. I went to an ATM for the funds and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looks like the Thermidor guy is going to make it onto the most goldmined threads list as soon as it updates.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Black Stones posted:

This isn't a thing in the states?

It is, I do it every time I go to Olive Garden :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yesterday snow followed by freezing rain

50 degrees today

1-1.5 feet of snow tomorrow

Man I love new england

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They only just recently started using chip & pin.

It's true. I finally got a chip card last year and none of the grocery stores around here have a working chip reader yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here comes the most american opinion: I can definitely see why chip & pin is useful, it has helped prevent the 0 digital thefts attempted on my debit card and the extra 20 seconds every transaction now takes gives me ample time to stare directly into the cashier's eyes until I can sense their fear and they give me a last-minute discount!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Yesterday snow followed by freezing rain

50 degrees today

1-1.5 feet of snow tomorrow

Man I love new england
On the bright side my boss said our whole group could WFH tomorrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's 61 degrees here today and we're expecting 8 inches of snow tomorrow.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My experience with the chip has been that the chip wears out infinitely faster than the strip and is already getting read errors in brand new POS terminals with a less than year old card which is great when each attempt takes like 20 seconds and a lot of terminals don't let you give up and swipe until the chip fails 3 times.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Japanese video games are like all video games in that they can be good but also there are ones that suck really bad. See: a laundry list of terrible JRPG's on the PSP and Vita, Senran Kagura, the Mega Man X sequels, Other M...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Screw all you not-getting-snow people, I'll just be over here buried under this mountain

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
82 degrees here. It's already getting to be summer in Texas.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I reinstalled ESO. I wish I had a better idea of what the hell I'm doing in terms of classes and skills. I'm just shooting things with a fire staff and crystals of dark magick. Anyone have any insights?

That said the game has a wonderful amount of voice acting and little details to rival any other TES entry, so I'm loving that side of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guys, stop saying "the States" in the presence of Americans. We can't give them even more easy identifiers to spot Canadians in their midst. It's better if they think it's just aboot and eh.

CJacobs posted:

Here comes the most american opinion: I can definitely see why chip & pin is useful, it has helped prevent the 0 digital thefts attempted on my debit card and the extra 20 seconds every transaction now takes gives me ample time to stare directly into the cashier's eyes until I can sense their fear and they give me a last-minute discount!

That's why we use tap now. It's almost faster than stealing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

It is, I do it every time I go to Olive Garden :shrug:

Yeah, it's certainly being rolled out through larger chains of sit-down restaurants. They're at Red Robin and Applebee's too. Sometimes I'll forget I can use the machine so I'll look like a goober waiting for my server to bring me a check before they politely explain what the large black box I moved out of the way when I sat down is supposed to be used for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

82 degrees here. It's already getting to be summer in Texas.
I'd rather shovel snow every day than deal with a summer in Texas.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LawfulWaffle posted:

Having a playable demo that I enjoy makes me more likely to preorder a game. I wish there had been a demo for No Man's Sky.
That often leads to regret. I really liked the betas of Destiny and Division and well... the final product on those are finally maybe starting to shape up but a preorder wasn't a good idea at all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The united states sounds like a living nightmare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

My experience with the chip has been that the chip wears out infinitely faster than the strip and is already getting read errors in brand new POS terminals with a less than year old card which is great when each attempt takes like 20 seconds and a lot of terminals don't let you give up and swipe until the chip fails 3 times.

My chip card has been through the washing machine at least two or three times in the three years I've had it and still works fine. Card is a bit bendy though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

My first chip card died in two months. My next one has lasted about four so far, maybe it will make out the year. It's not generally a problem, except that my bank hates Walmart so when their terminals gently caress it up I actually end up getting locked out of my account sometimes. At least they always send replacement cards no questions asked.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Help Im Alive posted:

The united states sounds like a living nightmare

It's not so bad. It's getting worse in a hurry though.

I mean, uh, lol just lol if you aren't a white male Christian millionaire.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I love reading about dumb poo poo in foreign countries.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New joke I just thought of because I blasted a man's head off with the matchlock rifle: I shot a man in Nioh, just to watch him die

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rifles in Nioh are sweet as hell. Sure, bows are quiet, but I've yet to have an enemy alerted by my rifle shot that wouldn't have been alerted by a bow shot, and the rifles do so much headshot damage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LawfulWaffle posted:

I mean, uh, lol just lol if you aren't a white male Christian millionaire.

Dang I'm only two out of four.

Oh well maybe if I just sit inside playing video games I won't notice the burning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

Dang I'm only two out of four.

Oh well maybe if I just sit inside playing video games I won't notice the burning.

Congrats on being a christian millionaire

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If it makes you US goons feel any better there are a couple of elections coming up in the EU (France, Netherlands, Germany) with plenty of potential for hilarity for not just those countries but the EU as a whole.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Knowing the entire world is going to hell in a handbasket is not very comforting, no.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We can all suffer together!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Different parts of the US are different. Southern California is as different to Georgia as Scotland is to Russia.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

I'd rather shovel snow every day than deal with a summer in Texas.

Texas summers, like most things about Texas, loving suck.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Texas summers, like most things about Texas, loving suck.

It's why I left for beautiful Ohio.

Oh god, is this what Stockholm syndrome feels like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's why I left for beautiful Ohio.

Oh god, is this what Stockholm syndrome feels like?

Probably. I moved from Ohio to Wisconsin for a job three years ago but for some reason Ohio's got that, "Yeah, I could move back there, that'd be all right," hold on me.

Not like Wisconsin's that much different.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

Different parts of the US are different. Southern California is as different to Georgia as Scotland is to Russia.

What part of Scotland, what part of Russia?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

What part of Scotland, what part of Russia?

The bad part, the bad part

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CJacobs posted:

I have chip and have it tied to Apple Pay so in most places I tell them debit/credit, hover my watch for a second and take off. Technology is amazing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the eu would be more like america if it was totally governed by angry rural countries with tiny populations

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

My partner made this. Maybe time for a new av...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's boss

I don't recognise that gaming console though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's Korean

• Locked thread