Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Will all of the classes be playable in the open beta?

Most of them. From the current look of things, three will likely be absent: Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and Shugoki. They've had pretty wonky balance the last time they were in, so they're probably being overhauled at the moment. Who knows, perhaps they'll get re-added before the beta ends. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's a bit of a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how Lawbringer played. Mostly because poleaxes are the best.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Did someone say there is a goon discord for this? I'm still new to discord and not sure how to browse, I'm a part of the goon rocket league discord but trying to add another server requires an invite or something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Heartcatch posted:

That's a bit of a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how Lawbringer played. Mostly because poleaxes are the best.

Yeah, I'm feeling the poleaxe and looking forward to trying that one.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Pinbacker posted:

you could even say that by not throwing someone off a cliff, you dishonor the cliff

Imagine 4 orochi on the edge of a cliff.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zzulu posted:

Some men get off on Doing The Right Thing. Honorable duels, 1 vs 1. Two men enter, one man leaves

And some men just want to watch the world burn (double team some dude and stunlock him to death)

E-honor in video games is loving stupid and any chance to make people like that angry is a Good Thing.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My idea of honor is that when I win my duel first in a 2v2 match, I go stand motionless in the vicinity of my partner's duel and I will take a swipe at his opponent if they get too close to me, like an irritated cat.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kamikaze Raider posted:

E-honor in video games is loving stupid and any chance to make people like that angry is a Good Thing.

BOW B4 DUEL

For actual content: there are situations when it is safer to let your teammate finish their 1v1 rather than risk filling up the enemy's revenge meter, right?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Nechronic posted:

BOW B4 DUEL

For actual content: there are situations when it is safer to let your teammate finish their 1v1 rather than risk filling up the enemy's revenge meter, right?

Personally I like to spectate my teammate if I beat my opponent first. It's just fun to see if they can handle it on their own and cheer for them if they do. I also get somewhat annoyed when people jump in to help me out when I'm already winning. I can handle it just fine on my own guyz! Jeeze.

But to answer your question I think the best tactic for 2v1ing someone is to have one person attack while the other just keeps pressing guard break. If you're playing with randoms this usually means you're the one GBing. That keeps their revenge from getting too high and maybe get you some free hits.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 8, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can't block my viking tackle :getin:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I played the conquerer a lot so my main move was to shield charge the other guy on to the floor.

Worked every time.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CongoJack posted:

I played the conquerer a lot so my main move was to shield charge the other guy on to the floor.

Worked every time.

Lots of conquerer's love to spam this; I eventually learned you can easily sidestep it to the right if you catch onto them. The viking headbutt, however, I could never figure out. Attack, block, backstep, sidestep - nothing seemed to work against that bullshit if they abused the hell out of it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I always bowed as nobushi, people seemed to get really mad and swing wildly afterwards :shobon:

Then here comes that kick to the face from hidden stance, off the cliff you go :c00l:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

panda clue posted:

Lots of conquerer's love to spam this; I eventually learned you can easily sidestep it to the right if you catch onto them. The viking headbutt, however, I could never figure out. Attack, block, backstep, sidestep - nothing seemed to work against that bullshit if they abused the hell out of it.

Thankfully the head butt has been significantly nerfed for open beta.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

Thankfully the head butt has been significantly nerfed for open beta.

Thank god. That, and the PK triple stab, were the only two things in the last closed beta that made me call 'bullshit'. Good to see them already on top of broken mechanics.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Which classes have cool skull cosmetics?? This is very important for my decision on a main. I'm leaning conqueror/kensei right now.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Very excited for the return of this, I mainly played Warlord in the closed beta and I'm hoping to spend some more time with Kensei and Raider!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

Which classes have cool skull cosmetics?? This is very important for my decision on a main. I'm leaning conqueror/kensei right now.

Raider has a cool helmet that's basically a skull covering your upper face. I don't think anybody else has particularly skull-y items, but then again Kensei does have helmets that incorporate a sweet moustache. Plus of course you can customise your personal emblem to show a skull and have it displayed on your armour or shield with pretty much any character. :skeltal:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The skull love is real and I understand

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Lawbringer had better have Ornstein cosmetics

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I mained Kensei towards the end of the Closed Beta. Seeing a bunch of buffs for Kensei going into Open Beta is a bit exciting. More health, more damage on light attacks and mobility attacks. Should be some fun stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tykero posted:

I mained Kensei towards the end of the Closed Beta. Seeing a bunch of buffs for Kensei going into Open Beta is a bit exciting. More health, more damage on light attacks and mobility attacks. Should be some fun stuff.

Are there notes somewhere? This is all news to me.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there notes somewhere? This is all news to me.

code:
Orochi changes:
Fixed Storm Rush stamina penalty on Parry
Attack indicator is now visible during the run part of Storm Rush

Peacekeeper changes:
Zone Attack range reduced from 4,3m to 3,5m
Bleed damage on stabs decreased.

Warlord changes:
Headsplitter Leap (forward dash heavy attack) range reduced from 4m to 3,5m
Headsplitter Leap (forward dash heavy attack) stamina damage reduced from 40 to 20
Headbutt can no longer be canceled into guardbreak
Full Block Stance entry stamina cost increased from 5 to 15
Dash forward range reduced
Headbutt costs more stamina
Headbutt removes less stamina on hit and can't be cancelled into gb

Kensei Changes:
Increased HP from 120 to 125
Light attack damage increased to 20 from 15
Helmsplitter (forward dash attack) damage increased to 20 from 15

Swift strike (side dash attacks) damage increased to 20 from 15
Fixed bug on side dash where you could go into the top heavy after dash.

I think they're all good changes. I think the Warlord will still be really good even though he got nerfed so much. He was nutso in CB.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trillhouse posted:

I think they're all good changes. I think the Warlord will still be really good even though he got nerfed so much. He was nutso in CB.

Yeah, his headbutt is arguably the best unblockable in the game, and likely will continue to be so even without the cancelability into a regular guardbreak. It's also nice they did something about the full block stance. You didn't see it quite as often in regular play, but if you were quick on the draw you could basically just use the stance in place of regular blocks and answer every attack with an instant counter.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Now my friends can stop bitching about the Orochi charge even though it was incredibly obvious and easy to block :colbert:

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/08/for-honor-heres-exactly-when-the-open-beta-goes-live-in-your-time-zone/

9am tomorrow for me :smithicide:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Internet inexplicably died yesterday for myself and my neighbors with the same ISP. There's a good chance it won't be back for a few days. Just in time for the beta to end...

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Is the open beta available on the PSN store for preloading? I can't find it listed there. Every article says the PS4 beta is up for download as a preload.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If i still have the closed beta downloaded on my PS4 will that be the same one used for the open beta?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Leonard Leroy posted:

Is the open beta available on the PSN store for preloading? I can't find it listed there. Every article says the PS4 beta is up for download as a preload.
Here you go friend:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ver=4.20.9:home

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Same here, east coast buddy.

This game has a lot of potential. I loved the idea of it when it was unveiled at E3, but the Alpha was clunky and turned me off. The Closed Beta impressed me enough to pre-order the game (the standard edition mind you; the deluxe edition is laughable and I'm not going to need the Season Pass) since there's no other new release out that interests me as much (RE7 maybe, but this appeals to me more right now).

I like the knight classes a lot, but I'm going to experiment with the vikings and samurai more this time. Kudos to the helpful tips posted here too.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

Huh, tried that yesterday and it gave me an error message. Worked this time. Thanks.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
A quick primer on how to get the Open Beta if you haven't preloaded yet:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/08/heres-how-to-download-the-for-honor-open-beta-so-youre-ready-for-action-this-weekend/

quote:

How to download the For Honor open beta

If you didn’t have access to the closed beta just over a week ago, you’ll be downloading it from scratch on either PC, PS4, or Xbox One.

PC players can launch Uplay and open their Free Games list to find the open beta listed there. If you’re on Steam, look for For Honor in Store and hit the Play Now button to start the download.

Console players can visit their respective Marketplace and PS Store and search for For Honor Beta.

The beta client is just under 19GB so make sure you get the download started in advance.

Downloading the open beta if you already have the closed beta client

If you played the closed beta and didn’t delete it, you should get an automatic update to version 1.03 which looks to be a small patch pf 451MB according to one Reddit thread, although a second thread is suggesting that it’s 7GB which seems a bit odd considering Ubisoft called it “a small update”.

If the update isn’t initiating automatically, exit and restart the client to give it kick up the bum.

What to do if you deleted the closed beta client

If you were in the closed beta but deleted it, there’s a slightly different set of steps for you to follow.

Uplay PC players can find the closed beta client in the Library. Download it and then download the patch to convert it into the open beta.

Xbox One players should head to the Ready to Install tab next to the Games App, find the For Honor closed beta there, and download it. If you’ve hidden the app, hold down the triggers and press X. This will let you view hidden apps.

PS4 players can head to the Library to find the closed beta and download it from there, and then download the patch to convert it into the open beta.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Ya the PS4 beta preload wasn't working for me yesterday but it is now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Perestroika posted:

Most of them. From the current look of things, three will likely be absent: Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and Shugoki. They've had pretty wonky balance the last time they were in, so they're probably being overhauled at the moment. Who knows, perhaps they'll get re-added before the beta ends. :shrug:

Shugoki is like the one class I actually wanna try. Normally I don't care about big slow characters at all but something about just clonking honorable knights and samurai with a big wooden club seems really satisfying.

I suppose I could try the beta anyways to get a feel for the game. Also to make sure its actually playable with a keyboard.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Internet Kraken posted:

Shugoki is like the one class I actually wanna try. Normally I don't care about big slow characters at all but something about just clonking honorable knights and samurai with a big wooden club seems really satisfying.

I suppose I could try the beta anyways to get a feel for the game. Also to make sure its actually playable with a keyboard.

I hear that some people even prefer it with mouse and keyboard.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

panda clue posted:

the PK triple stab

I could not figure out how to stab more than once from the grab.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

titties posted:

I could not figure out how to stab more than once from the grab.

You need to go into practice mode with a dummy bot that will just stand there for a short bit to figure out the timing. If you just spam stab after you grab someone, you will break off after the first stab. If you time the button 3 times in a row just right (in cadence with the actual stabbing animation), you'll get them. After a little practice you'll start to rarely miss all three.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

panda clue posted:

You need to go into practice mode with a dummy bot that will just stand there for a short bit to figure out the timing. If you just spam stab after you grab someone, you will break off after the first stab. If you time the button 3 times in a row just right (in cadence with the actual stabbing animation), you'll get them. After a little practice you'll start to rarely miss all three.

Thanks!

I am really bad at games like this. I only played a little bit during the beta at the beginning of the month and I could not figure out if I was just hopelessly bad or if I would be able to improve but I definitely wanted to keep playing to find out.

Did I make things harder on myself by not playing the vanguard classes at all? I only played nobushi and PK.

Also, could someone please tell me how to do this:
ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

titties posted:

Also, could someone please tell me how to do this:

ty

Guardbreak, then hit a direction and guardbreak again to toss people around. Some peoples animations/differences are more involved than just the regular toss as shown in that gif.