Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Her: Oh boy, I get to decorate! This is fun!
Him: Ugh here she goes again with this dumb poo poo
Her: *putting stuff up* :buddy:
Him: Hmmm... this one temporary decoration is in violation of my aesthetic preferences. i hope you're not putting up that stupid thing for morons
Her: *likes that thing, hence buying it* i enjoy this, why are you pooping on it! you don't even involve yourself in this process!
Him: *sigh* i GUESS i can help with your stupid moron thing but do we haaaave to have that ONE stupid moron thing there *sighs again*
Her: Why does he poo poo on harmless things I enjoy for no reason?? aaaa *goes to kitchen to calm down*
Him: *trails her* oh FINE i GUESs i can tolerate that stupid moron thing you like, even the very worst of it which is incredibly bad and which i hate alot
Her: Oh my god leave me alone I'm trying to calm down like I always do when you're critical about things that don't matter at all. rrrrrrrrr
Him: be LOGICAL about this NANCY. i know you are upset but you should stop being upset immediately because I don't like it. I even said you can have the stupid moron thing on the door like you want because you are stupid
Her: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

pick I know you can do better than this, fanfiction-wise

she's right that they need to break up but lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, chasing someone who is trying to get away to force them to "resolve" it this instant are assholes, 100% of the time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Him: Hmmm... this one temporary decoration is in violation of my aesthetic preferences. i hope you're not putting up that stupid thing for morons
Her: *likes that thing, hence buying it* i enjoy this, why are you pooping on it! you don't even involve yourself in this process!
Him: *sigh* i GUESS i can help with your stupid moron thing but do we haaaave to have that ONE stupid moron thing there *sighs again*
Her: Why does he poo poo on harmless things I enjoy for no reason?? aaaa *goes to kitchen to calm down*
Him: *trails her* oh FINE i GUESs i can tolerate that stupid moron thing you like, even the very worst of it which is incredibly bad and which i hate alot
Her: Oh my god leave me alone I'm trying to calm down like I always do when you're critical about things that don't matter at all. rrrrrrrrr
Him: be LOGICAL about this NANCY. i know you are upset but you should stop being upset immediately because I don't like it. I even said you can have the stupid moron thing on the door like you want because you are stupid

i mean honestly it sounded like she just started putting up decorations because he was laggin on it a bit and he just was like 'can we not put that ONE up it looks a bit tacky tbh' and she flipped her poo poo :\

even if your reading is 100% what happened, that's some lovely communication on both people's parts and some way overreaction on the girl's part. Like if she just said "why do you poo poo on harmless things I enjoy for no reason?" in the first place instead of thinking it and raging that would have been better idk.

The argument that he isn't involving himself in the process is kind of immaterial imo because presumably he has some interest in what his home looks like, esp to other people.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
iiiit's nooottt aaabbbouuuttt theeee deeccooorrraattiiiooonnnsssss

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's a "logical" wet blanket and she goes straight from zero to smashing things when she doesn't get her way, it's like the world's worst sitcom

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

iiiit's nooottt aaabbbouuuttt theeee deeccooorrraattiiiooonnnsssss

well right but why doesn't she just say "why are you making GBS threads on harmless things I enjoy for no reason?"

instead of just thinking it angrily then "AAAAAAAAAAAAA" and stalking off?

i mean 4 years man how do these people discuss real issues?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

well right but why doesn't she just say "why are you making GBS threads on harmless things I enjoy for no reason?"

instead of just thinking it angrily then "AAAAAAAAAAAAA" and stalking off?

i mean 4 years man how do these people discuss real issues?

Because he thinks the answer is "fine, then put up the decoration I don't really care"

She can't get him to understand it's not about the decoration, and she almost certainly doesn't want to put it up now anyway because he's put a negative association on it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pick posted:

pick are you on sale for four dollars from a school district yard sale because you are hella projecting here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

pick are you on sale for four dollars from a school district yard sale because you are hella projecting here

lmao

Boyfriend (23) does not know how to enjoy his money.

quote:

I am 28 F, and am back in school while working part-time. I noticed that my boyfriend and I have very different views on finances. I may not be that great at saving, but I do know how to use my money to spend quality time with friends since I barely ever see them these days. I know how dangerous microspending is so my spending habits are not to the extent where I don't save at all.

My boyfriend of 1.5 years is a 23 year old software engineer and makes over 100k a year. He grew up kind of poor and I notice that his mom always tells him to save. She wouldn't even let him carve pumpkins because to her, it's a waste of money and he should be saving to buy a house instead. I kind of thought this was overkill. Yes, he's kind of a mama's boy since he grew up with just his mom. His mom still babies him to the point where he never has to cook or buy food because she makes food for him every week to take back to his apartment. His mom makes good money now and his new stepdad brings home a hefty paycheck as well.

When it comes to our relationship, I enjoy staying in AND going out on small dates. Maybe it's just to grab something to eat or dessert, etc... I am also kind of a foodie so I like to explore and try new restaurants. Boyfriend has no desire or interest. His shopping is mostly buying a few tech gadgets online here and there.

Boyfriend makes over 100k and puts 40% of his paycheck into retirement. Most of the rest of his paycheck goes into investment. I know he's not obligated to buy me gifts or anything, but I do feel that he is a bit too cheap with me. One time we decided to order in and he offered to pay. I told him that I was craving a special smoothie the restaurant makes. He argued with me about how getting the smoothie is a waste of money and it made no sense to him of why I wanted it. Maybe because it's delicious? Stingy much? I ended up paying for it myself. All $3 of it.

If I had his salary, I would be a bit more generous towards others and spend some of my income to enjoy moments in my life with friends/family. What good is wealth when you don't know how to enjoy it? His over-saving is really starting to get on my nerves and affecting the relationship. By the way, I do buy all of my own things as well. I don't ask him to buy anything because I know he'll feel annoyed or burdened. So financially, we are very separate and there isn't much sharing going on. I wish there was, though...

I've tried to approach him several times about how saving too much without experiencing things during his youth may really backfire on him and he may regret it in the future. He would respond with this attitude that seemed almost identical to his mom's about how saving is always better. I stopped confronting him because I really don't know how to get him to see another perspective of things.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he's a "logical" wet blanket and she goes straight from zero to smashing things when she doesn't get her way, it's like the world's worst sitcom

Pretty much this, also the fact that she told him it's his fault she smashed it because he made her do it is holy gently caress :redflag:

EDIT:

quote:

He argued with me about how getting the smoothie is a waste of money and it made no sense to him of why I wanted it.

Just lol at this guy desperately trying to understand human desires and bluescreening about a smoothie

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The perennial value of this thread is the encouragement that people who are alone might be better off that way.

And the boyfriend who "doesn't know how to enjoy his money" probably wants to retire earlier so he's not working for the rest of his life. He does still sound like kind of a prick, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

have you ever said something like "I love my cat" and had someone's response be "well your cat doesn't love you, it's just taking advantage of you. they can't feel love. i thought you were a scientist" and then been like well geeeeeee thanks!!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pick posted:

have you ever said something like "I love my cat" and had someone's response be "well your cat doesn't love you, it's just taking advantage of you. they can't feel love. i thought you were a scientist" and then been like well geeeeeee thanks!!

no, because i don't really talk about my cats to people, because i'm not a weirdo

i mean i know that posts about conflicts in decorating might be triggering to you due to your insane taxidermy thing but like, dial it back a bit

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Smashing stuff is basically an implicit threat of violence and a hella nono in any relationship, being a girl doesn't make it okay. The whole "look at what you made me do" thing afterwards is just the icing on the cake.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

when a woman im dating does something dumb, i make sure to smash poo poo around her and then yell at her for making me hurt her break things

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Smashing stuff is basically an implicit threat of violence and a hella nono in any relationship, being a girl doesn't make it okay. The whole "look at what you made me do" thing afterwards is just the icing on the cake.

You're the one projecting because there's nothing there that suggests she dropped it purposefully.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

If you offer to treat someone it's hella tacky to try and nickle and dime them, but at the same time I don't really like her attitude of "he should be spending more money on me because we're dating".

Tho honestly, who needs to get a smoothie with their food, portion sizes are so large nowadays that even as a big guy I can never finish my orders and never bother getting stuff on the side. Just make going out and grabbing a smoothie there another date at some other time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lmao

sever, jfc

quote:

but at the same time I don't really like her attitude of "he should be spending more money on me because we're dating".

I normally wouldn't either but like, drat dude lol if my date offered to pay for dinner and then started haranguing me over a $3 smoothie I'd be kinda disgruntled too.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Lady- snapped in a completely understandable way, it's probable that she didn't intentionally drop the glass (hence, you know, the word dropped as opposed to threw), wasn't allowed time to cool off

Dude- is picky about decorations which yeah it's not a reason to yell, but if she got this upset about this simple thing I'd bet money that he questions all of these small wants and when it finally boils over goes "well it's not a big deal, don't get upset???"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

Because he thinks the answer is "fine, then put up the decoration I don't really care"

She can't get him to understand it's not about the decoration, and she almost certainly doesn't want to put it up now anyway because he's put a negative association on it.
Then she should say what her actual problem is instead of throwing a tantrum and breaking poo poo while squealing about the thing it isn't about.

I like you Pick but you're going Full Mirthless right now

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

She might be a 900 year old alien that looks 13 in Earth years.

She might be a two year old alien that looks 13 in Earth Years from Voyager. Now that's a real pedo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Tho honestly, who needs to get a smoothie with their food, portion sizes are so large nowadays that even as a big guy I can never finish my orders and never bother getting stuff on the side. Just make going out and grabbing a smoothie there another date at some other time.

but that's not your choice to make for the other person really

It's just like here let me graciously offer to pay for your dinner; that doesn't mean I now get to police what you get barring you ordering the most expensive thing on the menu or something absurd like a bottle of Dom. That's kinda just the social etiquette right?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

but that's not your choice to make for the other person really

It's just like here let me graciously offer to pay for your dinner, that doesn't mean I now get to police what you get barring you ordering like Dom Perignon or something absurd. That's kinda just the social etiquette right?

why'd you delete the part where I agreed with that only to lecture me as if i didn't? It was just sort of a side thought not commentary on their dumb fight.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yawgmoth posted:

I like you Pick but you're going Full Mirthless right now

let's not say things we can't take back.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

While I don't think the girl is completely innocent in this thing, you have to keep in mind we're getting logic robots account of the events and he's clearly leading the story in a direction that favors him (his constant insistence that he did nothing wrong and how he was right by trying to "fix" it).

I would take a wild guess that this is probably something that happens in their relationship (on small and large scale issues) often enough that it's a pattern and it has worn on her over the years. She obviously could communicate her emotions better too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well 'cuz why would you even include that bit as if to validate the bf's argument :colbert:

idk sorry

either way sever because the money thing isn't the only issue there

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I kinda regret posting that one now, not only did it start a big pointless derail but it wasn't even that funny to begin with

here this one's got a pretty pretty princess

My (25f) fiance (28m) doesn't want me to spend money on the wedding but he spent over 3,000 on a kilt

quote:

So me and dave have been together for three years and engaged for six months and I've started wedding planning but every time I plan something dave gets upset about how much I'm spending even though I'm actually spending very little. I spent under £120 on my wedding dress. My three bridesmaid dresses he didn't want to pay for so I bought a cheap plain dress and customised it myself with crystals, this took a lot of work to make them look the way I wanted. I am making my own wedding cake, the venue is being paid for by my parents, make up artist is a family friend (free) as is hairdresser . I have paid for every item from my own personal account and he has only paid for half of his wedding outfit (kilt) and wants me to pay for the rest. I have covered every expense for favours and decoration and he won't even pay for his own outfit. It's over £3000 for his and I'm expected to pay half, now he has said he wants us to pay for his father's outfit too. I'm not against this but he doesn't understand that I really cut costs on my wedding dress so that we can have more money for our lives together and that's why he says he complained. I have spent less than 1000 on favours, cake decorating equipment, wedding dress, shoes, bag, for me and bridesmaids, invitations and we have venue, singer, hairdresser, nail tech and makeup artist all free ( I have bought them all nice thank you gifts) the last thing to pay for are the rings but they aren't like to be the most expensive thing.

I don't know how to explain to him that I've controlled cost to a huge extent and he rubbed my face in it by being extravagant with his kilt?

I am upset that I couldn't spend much on my dress. But I understand that our financial future is more important than a dress. He does admit that if I had spent this on a dress he would have thought I was crazy

We have separate bank accounts, I earn about the same amount he does but he is self employed, I get paid holidays etc which annoys him.

I have asked him if he really wants to get married but he said definitely yes. I thought he may have been making excuses not to but he assures me it's not that.

Tldr our wedding will cost us (I've paid this) about £1000 without rings but fiance bought £3000 kilt and wants us to buy his father's too! How do I make him understand why I'm upset?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ouhei posted:

While I don't think the girl is completely innocent in this thing, you have to keep in mind we're getting logic robots account of the events and he's clearly leading the story in a direction that favors him (his constant insistence that he did nothing wrong and how he was right by trying to "fix" it).

I would take a wild guess that this is probably something that happens in their relationship (on small and large scale issues) often enough that it's a pattern and it has worn on her over the years. She obviously could communicate her emotions better too.

Yeah. I dunno if y'all have ever been with someone like this, but when all of the small inconsequential decisions you want to make are constantly adjusted or questioned it just builds up. And yeah it would be better to just address it earlier, but you're always made to feel like you're making a big deal out of nothing and it wears you down

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

If you offer to treat someone it's hella tacky to try and nickle and dime them, but at the same time I don't really like her attitude of "he should be spending more money on me because we're dating".

If he pulled this poo poo on anyone he was taking "out to eat", e.g. his mother or his old college roommate, it would be equally infuriating.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

My (25f) fiance (28m) doesn't want me to spend money on the wedding but he spent over 3,000 on a kilt
How the gently caress do you spend $3,000 on a loving kilt.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

She's right to dump that albatross.

Albatrosses are cool. Pick you are better than this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

Albatrosses are cool. Pick you are better than this

albatross in the sense of a burden, obviously I would never throw away a cool bird

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lmao

I used to be like this, then I aged past 23 and realized that I made enough money to save for retirement and enjoy it at the same time instead of living on rice and shoveling it all into a dragon hoard. So I guess the solution for this guy is to grow the gently caress up.

Yawgmoth posted:

Even better, £3000.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 8, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

If he pulled this poo poo on anyone he was taking "out to eat", e.g. his mother or his old college roommate, it would be equally infuriating.

It's two separate points sorry if i was unclear. When he offered to pay he should just get what she orders and that was hella tacky and inappropriate for him to make her pay for the smoothie, at the same time other parts of her post "well if I had his money I'd be much more generous with it" just sorta rubbed me the wrong way completely unrelated to the smoothie incident.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean yeah what does he think he's even saving for? He'll be 65 with 0 life experiences and go 'welp TIME TO RETIRE........ oh.'

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Yawgmoth posted:

Very carefully.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't marry the kilt idiot. $3k on a kilt and wants to drop $3k more on another lmao.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Don't marry the kilt idiot. $3k on a kilt and wants to drop $3k more on another lmao.

Meanwhile she gets to show up at the wedding in a £120 sackcloth because no one can be prettier than me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I mean yeah what does he think he's even saving for? He'll be 65 with 0 life experiences and go 'welp TIME TO RETIRE........ oh.'

I mean, or you can die. And then you didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

If you're making like 100k and saving a fuckton of it since you're mid 20's you'd be surprised at how quickly you could retire. 3 dollars isn't gonna make a difference in that but on the flipside the vaste majority of americans are living pay check to paycheck in debt so there are worse problems to have.

Maybe it's different if you grew up poor