Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ate all the Oreos posted:

Seems like a good audit could do a better job than just making them leave for a week and hoping their fill-in finds suspicious poo poo

A good audit costs a a good amount of money. So they'd need some indication that something went wrong before they sign off on such an audit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Audits follow a process, so perhaps it's easier to hide shenanigans from a defined process than a curious co-worker.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I work at a bank in Europe (in top 20 largest) and have to take two consecutive weeks of vacation every year. If I understood it correctly, the bank is insured for internal fraud somewhere and this insurer demands that we use this policy.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, in my experience, once a company has reason to suspect there is a serious issue (e.g. large embezzlement, anti-trust stuff), they call law firms instead of the regular accounting firms to audit that stuff.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5suaet/girlfriend_and_her_family_owe_230k_in_student/

Girlfriend and her family owe 230k in student loans, while she is only making minimum wage! posted:

First off, sorry for the wall of text.
Long time reader and sponge for all the knowledge shared in this subreddit. I think it’s amazing how people come together here and share what they know, and how this information has helped people recover from all kinds of circumstances to help set their lives on track.
The situation is this, my girlfriend went to college who’s out-of-state rate is around 40k a semester. She went here for five years, paying the out-of-state rate for the whole time. This schooling accrued some 200k in the Direct Parent PLUS federal loan (which is in her mother’s name) as well as some 30k loans in Direct Un/Sub federal loans which are in her own name. This is some crazy amount of debt for, especially seeing how she went to school for a field which makes an average of 40k/yr--she has yet to get a job in her field though, and is making minimum wage as of now.
She is trying to get a job as a park ranger, but has been having difficulties finding a job, Right now, she is working as an Environmental Educator at minimum wage, and I remain hopeful but doubtful that the situation is going to change in the near future.
From what I gather, her idea was to enroll in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (once she gets a job in her field) while paying her loans on the Income Contingent Repayment plan for the entire ten years it would take in order to qualify for loan forgiveness. The problem with this, as you may guess, is that the vast bulk of these loans are entirely in her mother’s name, and as such, these repayment/forgiveness options on the PLUS loans are only available to her mother and not her.
When I became aware of this situation and the gravity of the loans, I immediately hunkered down and spent the past year learning to code so I could switch careers and make more money. I am now just beginning an entry-level job as a software engineer at around 60k/yr. I have about 50k in student loans myself (30k in Sub/Unsubsidized loans and 20k in low-interest private loans.) When I graduated, I saw this amount as unfortunate (I could have been smarter with my money in college), but as a manageable amount of debt.
Her mother is currently enrolled in an MBA program, from which she will graduate come this spring. As the Parent PLUS loans are in her mother’s name, I think the start of repayment on these loans begins some months after she graduates from this program, and it’s stressing me everyday thinking about how we will handle this. At the standard ten-year repayment plan rate, her mother would be responsible for around $2,400 a month from these PLUS loans, let alone what she owes for her own MBA (which I believe is being covered by her current employer, but I’m not 100%) and her mother has, obviously, been stressed about this situation as well. If we were to pay for these, in addition to what we owe in our names, the monthly rate would be larger than our income. Her mother has indicated several times that she wants us to find a way in which we could have these loans signed over in our names, an idea which terrifies me.
So I’m not sure the best course of action from her. From how I understand it, it seems as though her mother could enroll her in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program if she were to find an alternative job (as the Parent PLUS Loans seems like they qualify for this) , but that might be problematic with her other personal student loans (some companies pay for continuing education only if you stick with them for X amount of years and I’m not sure how her MBA was paid for.) If she were to do the PSLF program, and sign up for the Income Contingent Repayment Plan, we would be able to HELP, but not to fully take over the loans. That would be the ideal circumstance, as far as I can tell, but does anyone else have a better idea of what we could do to manage this insane amount of debt?
tldr; girlfriend owes 30k in student loans and her parents owe 200k in Parent PLUS loans. Looking for the best way to make this manageable...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

"Her mother has indicated several times that she wants us to find a way in which we could have these loans signed over in our names, an idea which terrifies me."

LOL. They can try to refi to the student, but it's dependent on the student having the income to do it, and no lender is going to do that with their paltry income. Then if they refi it, they'll lose the option for IBR and PSLF.

Why the gently caress would you take out $200k in loans to be a loving park ranger?!?!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

NancyPants posted:

Why the gently caress would you take out $200k in loans to be a loving park ranger?!?!
"Because student debt is good debt!"

:suicide:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Bad With Money - I remain hopeful but doubtful

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

melon cat posted:

"Because student debt is good debt!"

:suicide:

Eee. I don't know why they let borrowers take out so much as teenagers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I hate to say it but unless that guy loves her an insane amount and she's bringing a lot to the relationship aside from money, he should move on and not be drowned by her mountain of debt and kill himself paying it off for her.

Seen too many cases where someone stays with someone until their debt is paid off, and then they skate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid is petrified of student loan debt. Apparently one of her teachers gave her class of 10th graders the scared straight treatment.

Now my child is insisting on applying to the "alright, but not great" state school in town and living at home. That's not necessarily a good thing since she will have a free ride to any state school plus a college fund. I'm trying to convince her to aim a little higher at least.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

NancyPants posted:

Because her friends were going to the same out-of-state school.

Also why is the boyfriend retraining to pay off her loans while she continues to not be a park ranger?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grumpwagon posted:

I worked for BMO Harris Bank. It was a spelled out policy. It was 2011 or so though, so I don't have anything in writing anymore.

I was in Global security group for ABN AMRO, back before it was gutted by RBS, BofA and Santander. It was absolutely a policy for Global group and all the Regionals. It was also a thing that all your network activity on the bank's networks were audited and reviewed while you were on the mandated PTO.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Since when has college prestige mattered in any way shape or form? Have you ever once asked your doctor or dentist which school they graduated?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rotaryfun posted:

Since when has college prestige mattered in any way shape or form? Have you ever once asked your doctor or dentist which school they graduated?

Yeah this is kind of a silly thing to say.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Nice, great troll, this is bound to be a good couple pages

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

University of Phoenix - GWM huh?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

My kid is petrified of student loan debt. Apparently one of her teachers gave her class of 10th graders the scared straight treatment.

Now my child is insisting on applying to the "alright, but not great" state school in town and living at home. That's not necessarily a good thing since she will have a free ride to any state school plus a college fund. I'm trying to convince her to aim a little higher at least.

Well I have an answer to my question

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
For most careers, college prestige only matters at the extreme low end and extreme high end. You don't want to go to a terrible school like University of Phoenix, and there are about two dozen schools with national prestige that are worth paying a premium for, but there isn't much difference between the 10th and 90th percentiles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

She really, really likes trees. Really.

rotaryfun posted:

Never had to because the diploma is always very visibly displayed so you know exactly which weird Venezuelan medical program they graduated from

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

rotaryfun posted:

lol: source, I'm on the medical school admissions committee.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

rotaryfun posted:

University of American Samoa. Go Land Crabs

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

I went to MIT (Mubarak institute of technology).

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

rotaryfun posted:

I agree, but I've never needed to ask- their diploma is on the wall. Every one of them has gone to a non-flagship-campus state school.

A 10th grader is in an excellent position to be concerned about student loans. I was making the point to a coworker of mine whose kid is in college-selection mode that practically the only time a student has any control on education costs is by choosing Where To Apply. Once you're in you absolutely have to take out (tuition + fees + books + any living expenses you can't cover) - (scholarships + grants). That's the same equation everywhere, the only difference is how much tuition, what scholarships, and how much cost of living (rent +food) is in the town the college is in. You have zero control over almost all of those things after you enroll. The only way to take out less is to select a school you can go to for cheaper, get an awesome scholarship, live at home (or other cheaper scenario) or be magic and find a kickass job that both pays you really well and lets you have the time to work on school.

Like, once you're enrolled and going full-time, you're not going to look at your current balance of loans you've taken out and be like "Well I'm going to drop out of school- I was willing to pay $42,000 total max and now I'm at 45k, better leave with a near-useless non-diploma and make all my student loans due." No, once you're in you pretty much sign anything in order to stay in school, cause you're going to be thinking your best bet is to finish, get the degree (which will help you get the best job possible), and be in optimum financial position. That that perfectly reasonable plan has ended up so so badly for so so many people is a problem with the system, not individual students just trying to get a degree like they were told to do.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

flosofl posted:

I was in Global security group for ABN AMRO, back before it was gutted by RBS, BofA and Santander. It was absolutely a policy for Global group and all the Regionals. It was also a thing that all your network activity on the bank's networks were audited and reviewed while you were on the mandated PTO.

Pryor on Fire, since it seems everyone who has actually worked at a bank in this thread has this policy and has named their bank, perhaps you can name the bank(s) you worked for which did not have this policy, so we can withdraw our money and put it someplace safer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Randler posted:

Also, in my experience, once a company has reason to suspect there is a serious issue (e.g. large embezzlement, anti-trust stuff), they call law firms instead of the regular accounting firms to audit that stuff.

The biggest risk of medium-to-high-level audits is that they might find something. Not only can that tank the stock, it can be grounds for a shareholder lawsuit. They only get done because those same bad things would happen 10x if someone else discovered the malfeasance first.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

The biggest risk of medium-to-high-level audits is that they might find something. Not only can that tank the stock, it can be grounds for a shareholder lawsuit. They only get done because those same bad things would happen 10x if someone else discovered the malfeasance first.

I've seen work done on internal fraud control that's non-material but still gets done because the finance team's job is to manage costs and fraud controls are a good way to do that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm really not trolling. It's just weird to me that a lot of people want to go to really expensive schools that they can't afford when college prestige really isn't a thing for most people/jobs.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I'm an attorney and I get asked by clients about which law school I attended about once a month. The fact that it is a relatively prestigious law school helps convince people that I know what I am doing, despite the fact that I am a young woman in an office of old men.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

Like, once you're enrolled and going full-time, you're not going to look at your current balance of loans you've taken out and be like "Well I'm going to drop out of school- I was willing to pay $42,000 total max and now I'm at 45k, better leave with a near-useless non-diploma and make all my student loans due." No, once you're in you pretty much sign anything in order to stay in school, cause you're going to be thinking your best bet is to finish, get the degree (which will help you get the best job possible), and be in optimum financial position. That that perfectly reasonable plan has ended up so so badly for so so many people is a problem with the system, not individual students just trying to get a degree like they were told to do.

I dropped out of expensive out of state private school for not-money reasons involving drug addiction but still wound up with a good job in my field and my student loan burden at the end of it was like 1/10th what it would have been if I had finished so I really don't care that I did :v: Serious life-ruining drug addiction: GWM somehow

I do kinda wanna go back to like, community college and just finish up, or maybe take classes I'm interested in but that won't get me a job since I don't really need them to do that anymore...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Staryberry posted:

I'm an attorney and I get asked by clients about which law school I attended about once a month. The fact that it is a relatively prestigious law school helps convince people that I know what I am doing, despite the fact that I am a young woman in an office of old men.

Do the men get asked that question too because if not lol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Do the men get asked that question too because if not lol

Old people tend to not get asked where they went to college because it doesn't matter much anymore, what matters is experience by that point. This goes for any job, in tech people may care whether you went to MIT/Waterloo/etc. if you are 21 but if you are 35 it's whether you worked at Google/some other respectable tech company vs. being the IT guy at the donut shop.

I know where the young lawyer I used for some stuff went to school, it's a good local law school. I also happen to know where a doctor I go to went to school because his diploma is on the wall, it's something like North Dakota State but it doesn't matter because he gets top doctor ratings since he's been doing his job forever, think Doc Cottle from Battlestar Galactica without the smoking.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

I dropped out of expensive out of state private school for not-money reasons involving drug addiction but still wound up with a good job in my field and my student loan burden at the end of it was like 1/10th what it would have been if I had finished so I really don't care that I did :v: Serious life-ruining drug addiction: GWM somehow

I do kinda wanna go back to like, community college and just finish up, or maybe take classes I'm interested in but that won't get me a job since I don't really need them to do that anymore...

Yeah people drop out of school all the time but I've never once heard of someone saying "I dropped out because my student loans exceeded my predetermined amount I was willing to take out". I've heard "these are way too high relative to the education I'm getting", but that's a really different thing I think. If a person thinks they're in a good program and that they're learning something worthwhile, they'll sign whatever they need to stay in school.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"This is how insurance works, right? Wait, what's an open enrollment?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ssh21/if_obamacare_covers_preexisting_conditions_should/ posted:

This is more theoretical than anything.

I spend about 500 dollars a year on health care, but 8,000 on insurance. I never hit my deductible but have a huge emergency fund that could cover thousands of dollars of emergencies.

My curiosity is- if I get cancer, could I simply sign up for insurance after the fact?

Is there anything to this theoretical idea assuming I can wait 12 months to fix any major medical issue?
When someone points out that they could have a serious injury that gives them no time to sign up for insurance:

quote:

But what are my odds? If they are less than 1 in 12.5 I'd be better off saving for such a rainy day.

quote:

We will buy insurance the moment something bad happens. The hospital bills would only cost a few thousand until that kicks in.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

We will buy insurance the moment something bad happens.

Well hot drat why didn't I think of that

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Reddit says: My curiosity is- if I get cancer, could I simply sign up for insurance after the fact?

I knew someone who suspected they had cancer and did just that. GWM, technically.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

monster on a stick posted:

Old people tend to not get asked where they went to college because it doesn't matter much anymore, what matters is experience by that point. This goes for any job, in tech people may care whether you went to MIT/Waterloo/etc. if you are 21 but if you are 35 it's whether you worked at Google/some other respectable tech company vs. being the IT guy at the donut shop.

Yeah, it matters a great deal for getting your first job, but for every job after that the bigger factor is what your last job was.

Helps to go to a good school so you can get the Google-tier first job rather than donut shop tier job. So it continues to matter in an indirect way.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Haifisch posted:

"This is how insurance works, right? Wait, what's an open enrollment?"

When someone points out that they could have a serious injury that gives them no time to sign up for insurance:

this_is_why_the_individual_mandate_exists.txt

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nail Rat posted:

Well hot drat why didn't I think of that

My plan is to go to heaven.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

My buddy did that. He had this nagging cold so he signed up for health insurance for january, intending to go to the doctors and then stop paying the premium. Turns out his platelet count is through the roof and yup, he has cancer. It seems to be responding well to the treatment though which is good news :unsmith:

• Locked thread