Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

You absolutely don't need anything but a scanner, a welder and a radiation suit to get into the Aurora.

You can just enter from the back of the ship, run through the fire above the first part with a bunch of boxes stopping you and drop down. You take about thirty damage.
Not any more you can't, there are now boxes blocking the way. you angle down towards the cargo bay and there are a heap of large boxes (that you can't jump over) that were added, positioned right in front of the door. They were added presumably with the coffee and castles patch.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

Not any more you can't, there are now boxes blocking the way. you angle down towards the cargo bay and there are a heap of large boxes (that you can't jump over) that were added, positioned right in front of the door. They were added presumably with the coffee and castles patch.

I'm playing latest stable patch. You're just wrong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh I guess I imagined it when I played through it this weekend, did you start a new game recently?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bhodi posted:

This was my experience on an experimental save I started in early January. I'd assume it has been updated to the live version. People keep saying there's an entrance on the side of the aurora but I've never found it (or evidence of it from the inside) other than the exit way high up that's inaccessible from below.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The entrance on the side of the aurora used to lead directly into the engine room but it was closed off in the same patch that added all the internal bits like the lab and prawn bay. The only two entrances now are the one below (leading to the laboratory) and the one above (labeled airlock) leading to a T where you go left into cargo and right into a small office. The entrance up high is accessible from below by going up the ramp and then along a thin curved beam with a box on it which leads around fiery wreckage.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 8, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

Oh I guess I imagined it when I played through it this weekend, did you start a new game recently?

Latest experimental. Literally just did it. You just need the radiation suit, nothing else, as it turns out.

Shut the hell up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

I also saw this when playing the recent patch. Couldn't get into the doorway in the rear of the ship without moving the boxes first. People said I didn't need the prop gun to get in so I thought I was missing another entrance.

endlessmonotony posted:

Shut the hell up.

What's wrong with you? What warranted that?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

endlessmonotony posted:

Latest experimental. Literally just did it. You just need the radiation suit, nothing else, as it turns out.

Shut the hell up.

You are way too angry about fictional space boxes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Buca di Bepis posted:

I also saw this when playing the recent patch. Couldn't get into the doorway in the rear of the ship without moving the boxes first. People said I didn't need the prop gun to get in so I thought I was missing another entrance.

What's wrong with you? What warranted that?

There's a route around the boxes and it's been there since the boxes were put in.

If he doesn't want to be told to shut up, maybe he should check he is in fact right before insisting he's right.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There are less hostile ways to explain that you think he's mistaken.

You having a bad day, endlessmonotony? Whatever it is, it's going to be okay. :unsmith:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
There are two entrances (not counting the one in the side, which is gone.) One has crap in front of it that needs the prop cannon, which I think leads to the lab? The other does not. They are both in the front of the ship, and are both accessed by going up a slanted floor stewn with rubble and both look very similar, so its very easy to think there's only one. You can go in one and out the other, but that requires swimming through a maze in the prawn bay that isn't super obvious how to get through. The one with boxes in front of it is only a barrier to entrance, you can go out that way by jumping.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Giant Isopod posted:

There are two entrances (not counting the one in the side, which is gone.) One has crap in front of it that needs the prop cannon, which I think leads to the lab? The other does not. They are both in the front of the ship, and are both accessed by going up a slanted floor stewn with rubble and both look very similar, so its very easy to think there's only one. You can go in one and out the other, but that requires swimming through a maze in the prawn bay that isn't super obvious how to get through. The one with boxes in front of it is only a barrier to entrance, you can go out that way by jumping.

You can go in through the entrance with the boxes with no tools, and that has been true since the entrance was put in.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
You can't do/get anything useful without the cutter and propulsion cannon to the point it's not worth going to the Aurora for just sealing the radiation. Hope this helps dissuade anyone who is somehow convinced by rude guy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

emoji posted:

You can't do/get anything useful without the cutter and propulsion cannon to the point it's not worth going to the Aurora for just sealing the radiation. Hope this helps dissuade anyone who is somehow convinced by rude guy.

The propulsion cannon just makes it easier to navigate, it doesnt open up new areas.

The cutter is good to have, but its totally worth going just to explore and seal up the radiation.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I could not access living quarters without propulsion cannon (in the last patch at least).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

emoji posted:

I could not access living quarters without propulsion cannon (in the last patch at least).

There's nothing you can't reach without the propulsion cannon if you're willing to take the long way around. The propulsion cannon helps, but isn't necessary. You need the welder for Seamoth bay, and the laser cutter for living quarters or prawn bay.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I explored it yesterday and I can confirm you don't need a propulsion cannon to get in, there is another entrance that leads to the room with an info terminal which has a text to speech message about sending you a ship blueprint. That room has an underwater route into the PRAWN bay, which is on the other side of the door blocked by junk that requires propulsion.

I would recommend bringing the cannon anyway though, so that you can fling those eye crabs into the ocean.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
You still need the cannon to go up the stairs in the prawn room unless the crate assets are unloaded for you or you glitch through.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

emoji posted:

You still need the cannon to go up the stairs in the prawn room unless the crate assets are unloaded for you or you glitch through.

You can hop up on the railing and run up it if you get the right angle

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

emoji posted:

I finagled up the railing in the last patch. Wonder if it's still possible.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I wouldn't count on that being always possible considering it's probably unintended and hitboxes and such change all the time. I've been able to hop over them with some work in a previous patch, but not in my latest game. Anyway the point is it's much more enjoyable if you just bring the cannon since it's so easy to get.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its much more convenient. Enjoyable depends on whether you are the sort of person who likes finagling and sequence breaking.

Linking the Subnautica thread I made:
https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/148005/now-that-were-approaching-the-end-can-we-talk-about-getting-rid-of-knife-breakage

Not a Sarcastic Post, completely genuine posted:

Attention to detail like noticing that knives need to be sharpened is good. But then pretending that complex aquatic forms of transport and habitats don't require regular and costly maintenance is silly. Not only should all the more complex equipment start to breakdown with time and use (the breakdown is there but only in the case of something causing damage), but the repair tool should consume the resources used to build whatever it's repairing.

For realism and challenge, I'd love to hear comments like:
"Oh you built your Cyclops, have fun keeping up on maintenance."
"What the hell did you think they meant when they said for crews of 3"
"I remember my first expedition to the lost river, I had to abandon my Cyclops there since I didn't bring the right materials to maintain it."
"One does not simply travel into the Active Lava Zone"

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 8, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

Its much more convenient. Enjoyable depends on whether you are the sort of person who likes finagling and sequence breaking.

It's not even sequence breaking, the entrance is just using the running jump or looking up to find the ledge so you can drop down. In the prawn room, one side requires you to balance on the rail... and the other one just requires you to jump small jumps from one crate to another.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not even sequence breaking, the entrance is just using the running jump or looking up to find the ledge so you can drop down. In the prawn room, one side requires you to balance on the rail... and the other one just requires you to jump small jumps from one crate to another.

It's obvious that they devs intend for the "normal" sequence to be "get propulsion gun, move boxes". So yeah it's still sequence breaking.

Like what do you think sequence breaking is, exactly, that this isn't?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

It's obvious that they devs intend for the "normal" sequence to be "get propulsion gun, move boxes". So yeah it's still sequence breaking.

Like what do you think sequence breaking is, exactly, that this isn't?

If the developers wanted to stop people from jumping past the obstacle, the other entrance clearly shows they're more than able to do that. It's not a rare philosophy in video games to have multiple ways of accomplishing a task, in this case either "figure out a simple jumping puzzle" or "get the gravity gun".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

If the developers wanted to stop people from jumping past the obstacle, the other entrance clearly shows they're more than able to do that. It's not a rare philosophy in video games to have multiple ways of accomplishing a task, in this case either "figure out a simple jumping puzzle" or "get the gravity gun".

It's not rare for developers to intentionally allow people to sequence break, no. But that doesn't mean there's not an intended sequence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What makes me suspect it may be intentional that you can jump over the crates is that there's a way to climb back over them from the far side that seems deliberate.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm playing latest stable patch. You're just wrong.

As mentioned a few times. If the game updates and you don't start a new save file, many areas can be glitched. Many of these are on the Aurora So sometimes we have slightly different experiences.

That said, I had the same experience as Bhodi. Maybe, you can still glitch through, but I just restarted over the weekend myself and have noticed differences from my last play through which was the PRAWN update and could not use that exploit like I did before (Which is what it was)

It is entirely possible and likely that the update did not affect your save file as it actively saves the positions of physics objects. Meaning, your save file would over ride any changes the update has made. This is literally the truth and has happened to many people. You, yourself are most likely wrong in my opinion based on my experiences with the game.

Which is totally fine and nothing to be ashamed of. But without going on about it. please don't act like a hostile rear end in a top hat. This is a really nice, chill thread.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lonos Oboe posted:

As mentioned a few times. If the game updates and you don't start a new save file, many areas can be glitched. Many of these are on the Aurora So sometimes we have slightly different experiences.

That said, I had the same experience as Bhodi. Maybe, you can still glitch through, but I just restarted over the weekend myself and have noticed differences from my last play through which was the PRAWN update and could not use that exploit like I did before (Which is what it was)

It is entirely possible and likely that the update did not affect your save file as it actively saves the positions of physics objects. Meaning, your save file would over ride any changes the update has made. This is literally the truth and has happened to many people. You, yourself are most likely wrong in my opinion based on my experiences with the game.

Which is totally fine and nothing to be ashamed of. Acting like a hostile rear end in a top hat is.

I posted a screenshot proving it works, and I started a fresh map with the latest patch to eliminate all variables.

There's TWO ways, neither of which involve any glitches or exploits.

You can just jump from above to the big crate and then do a running jump above the blocks. Or you can run across the burning ledge - the fire hurts you, but there's nothing stopping you to just running to the ledge over the blocks. Properly blocking the entrance only requires you to stack a few blocks more and there's even an easy way to return.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

I posted a screenshot proving it works, and I started a fresh map with the latest patch to eliminate all variables.

There's TWO ways, neither of which involve any glitches or exploits.

You can just jump from above to the big crate and then do a running jump above the blocks. Or you can run across the burning ledge - the fire hurts you, but there's nothing stopping you to just running to the ledge over the blocks. Properly blocking the entrance only requires you to stack a few blocks more and there's even an easy way to return.

Ok, you found a way past when me and several others couldn't. I guess the exploit still exists and I wasn't persistent enough.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lonos Oboe posted:

Ok, you found a way past when me and several others couldn't. I guess the exploit still exists and I wasn't persistent enough.

There's no exploit. Shift is run. It allows you to jump further. There's a big open space the developers left open. You can't reach it with the regular jump, but it's trivial with the running jump.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is embarrassing but I didn't know you could run. :blush:

You didn't used to be able to while playing in 3d, I guess they fixed it at some point and I kind of forgot it existed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

This is embarrassing but I didn't know you could run. :blush:

You didn't used to be able to while playing in 3d, I guess they fixed it at some point and I kind of forgot it existed.

Well clearly you're not the only one, judging from this amount of "it's impossible!" to an easy jumping puzzle.

Sorry about being rude about it, but it is a bit frustrating to be told something's impossible when it's demonstrably not.

Here, have some random YouTube guy make the jump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr3RyYk0AtE&t=151s

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I did it before, but not since the last patch. That's why I was questioning it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's a ton of invisible walls and weird collision boundaries in the back of the Aurora. I honestly never considered jumping around to explore past the very obvious blocked door.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Linking the Subnautica thread I made:
https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/148005/now-that-were-approaching-the-end-can-we-talk-about-getting-rid-of-knife-breakage

I just want to loving scream now every time I hear "realism" as the basis of your design decisions behind viddy games, table top games, loving anything form of entertainment.

I have become genuinely mad at videogames at the concept :sigh:

"Hey wait a minute, this thing is too fun! We need more realism in here!"
"Can we have the Realism that adds QoL features too? I've got a list. There are also some data files that also talk about cool things I'd love."
"Ahahahah... ha... hah... You clearly don't know realism only gives the greatest gift of all. IMMERSION."

A thousand grognards wishing for more ways to flood your stuff. All who will scoff at "Hey these realistic lore friendly data files talk about getting stalker teeth directly from the containment tank, or knife fights. None of this playing fetch RNG." because gently caress you for bringing up lore when it would actually improve gameplay.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 9, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Section Z posted:

I just want to loving scream now every time I hear "realism" as the basis of your design decisions behind viddy games, table top games, loving anything form of entertainment.

I have become genuinely mad at videogames at the concept :sigh:

"Hey wait a minute, this thing is too fun! We need more realism in here!"
"Can we have the Realism that adds QoL features too? I've got a list. There are also some data files that also talk about cool things I'd love."
"Ahahahah... ha... hah... You clearly don't know realism only gives the greatest gift of all. IMMERSION."

A term I prefer much more than realism is "verisimilitude" Which applies in the sense of feeling real to the world. Like how in Star Wars the Tie fighters shriek when they fly past or in Star Trek you get the blurry stars outside. Or tinnitus effect in Call Of Duty.

In Subnautica, the idea of smashing open a rock and finding a chunk of titanium or gold is totally unrealistic but it fits with the verisimilitude of the game. "Weird alien planet has EXACTLY what I need? awesome" I personally think the knife should eventually break as the game is built on systems of sustaining yourself. Maybe you can eventually craft an unbreakable knife. But fighting off a shark with a blade, only for it to break is a staple of adventure stories. For me, it matches the verisimilitude of this Robinson Crusoe style adventure. Immersion comes from understanding the systems and it feeling natural. If the player character in Subnautica had to rest every few hours because swimming under water can be loving exhausting. Or pause for a half an hour before returning to the surface to decompress. It would be much more realistic. But would ruin my immersion.

It's a fairly academic distinction, but inarguably a more accurate one.

Edit: Jesus I am such a loving nerd.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 9, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The knife breaking hurts my verisimilitude because it feels really stupid and arbitrary.

Also literally nothing else in the game breaks, so it's not even consistent - it's internally contradictory and immersion breaking.

A system where there's a chance of the knife breaking or sticking and getting torn from your hand while your fighting a shark is one thing. But that's a far cry from the system we have (a use timer)... and the knife getting torn from your hand and forcing you to risk danger to recover it or pull back is both more exciting and far more common in adventure stories, so why go with knife breakage rather than that?

(Also the "solution" to this gameplay puzzle is just to carry a second knife at all times which is boring and dumb)

I honestly really doubt you've actually had a moment of excitement from your knife breaking.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'd just like to be able to craft, say, Glass x3 Stalker Teeth x3 Titanium x2 into an upgraded knife that will never break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh. I know how to have knife durability be a thing and still be within the constraints of the game's replenishable resources. A knife-sharpening option that consumes renewable resources. Like, I dunno, lubricant at the Fabricator, since you can farm lubricant pretty easy.

Still doesn't bother me too much since the materials for making a knife are pretty easy to come by.