Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hey guys, a friend bought this for me during the free weekend and I've played a bit of it since. We have about 14 hours under our belts but we still get our asses kicked like every single match. It's loads of fun but I'm wondering how to get better at this? My greatest problem seems to be that as defenders, I never know which walls to reinforce or where to put traps or anything. Do you just wing it, or is there a rule of thumb I can learn? Or does it all come down to map knowledge?

I also have a lot of trouble in that I get lost all the time. When walls get reinforced it almost feels claustrophobic on defence. I have no idea which rooms connect where and how, and I've had my team yell at me for running past the objective or stairs and stuff. Do I just get in custom games by myself and try to memorize the map lay-outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Just camp out in the objective or follow good players around until you get a feel for it. Sound also plays a huge part in this game so either try using headphones or turn your speakers up.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Deltasquid posted:

Hey guys, a friend bought this for me during the free weekend and I've played a bit of it since. We have about 14 hours under our belts but we still get our asses kicked like every single match. It's loads of fun but I'm wondering how to get better at this? My greatest problem seems to be that as defenders, I never know which walls to reinforce or where to put traps or anything. Do you just wing it, or is there a rule of thumb I can learn? Or does it all come down to map knowledge?

I also have a lot of trouble in that I get lost all the time. When walls get reinforced it almost feels claustrophobic on defence. I have no idea which rooms connect where and how, and I've had my team yell at me for running past the objective or stairs and stuff. Do I just get in custom games by myself and try to memorize the map lay-outs?

Stick with a buddy, take things slowly unless you're turning a corner, and remember that all of the action happens in the last 30 seconds.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I use headphones and am aware of sound and stuff, yeah. I do have a problem that everyone who speaks in voice chat sounds really muffled/soft and I have no idea what they're saying. I'm not sure if this is a general problem in siege but my friends and I just use steam voice instead because in-game you just can't hear anyone. But it's a problem when some pubbie with a strong Italian accent whispers into the microphone because he doesn't want to wake up his mama at 1 in the morning and he gets saltier and saltier as we ask him to speak up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This just makes Mira even better.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Terrorist hunt can be good to learn maps.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
r6maps.com is another pretty good resource that gives you map names, camera locations, etc.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deltasquid posted:

I use headphones and am aware of sound and stuff, yeah. I do have a problem that everyone who speaks in voice chat sounds really muffled/soft and I have no idea what they're saying. I'm not sure if this is a general problem in siege but my friends and I just use steam voice instead because in-game you just can't hear anyone. But it's a problem when some pubbie with a strong Italian accent whispers into the microphone because he doesn't want to wake up his mama at 1 in the morning and he gets saltier and saltier as we ask him to speak up.

If you don't take advantage of the fact that Mira can deploy at any level you are missing out.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Watching someone on the other team get merked by battleye between rounds after they just pulled some impossible poo poo is the greatest.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Learns the maps. The most common thing with the walls is to baricade them all to the room where the hostage/biohazard containter is. On bombs, you don't reinforce the walls between the two sites - if they're right next to eachother , blow a hole for shooting/movement.
Rook is a good starting defense operator - bulky guy, gives protection to the team, nice guns up close. Drop the armor and you're ready to shoot dudes, noone bats an eye. You are then free to run over the site and reinforce the trapdoors above it. If you're playing with a buddy, you can have him mark the trapdoors with "z", if you can't find them. This is a pretty good way to learn what connects to what. Don't close the doors at the start of the round - this pisses people off to no end.
As a defender, you shouldn't peek. This means, find a spot that has you covered from most angles (on point, preferrably next to a reinforced wall) and park your rear end there and wait for someone to wander into your firing range. Going for kills is the fastest way to get yourself killed - and you don't have to move on defense, they will come to the objective or lose.
If the sound of guns is far away or nothing is happening, take a look at those cameras. Be aware tho, that on cameras, you have the audio from the camera's perspective, so you might get cought off guard. It's also good to learn where the cameras are so you can pop them as an attacker. Check the OP for that "what ops are good when in the round" guide, and grab those that require the least amount of map knowledge.

On attack, don't mark enemies during the first drone round - this makes them look around for drones, meaning they will find you or your buddies and kill them. Especially don't do it to people who have already parked in some safe spot.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Don't mark people if you can just say where they are

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Best possible tip: Don't take video games too seriously.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Jehde posted:

Best possible tip: Don't take video games too seriously.

As our lord and savior cool frog once said, "Stop getting mad at video games."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why are we still getting the old "camera stuck under the map" glitch in Ranked in The Year of Our Tachanka 2017?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why are we still getting the old "camera stuck under the map" glitch in Ranked in The Year of Our Tachanka 2017?

Ubisoft

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Question for Jackal players - if you scan someone, are you locked to that person? Like do other footsteps disappear so you can only track one person at the time? Do the other footsteps reappear is you kill your target?

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
Oh hey, I got put in 0:3 ranked match. Pretty good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Watching someone on the other team get merked by battleye between rounds after they just pulled some impossible poo poo is the greatest.

People are still hacking in this game? Dang.

Cryptix
Dec 9, 2016

What trinkets are you guys using?

Anyone else feel obligated to use the Grenade?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

People are still hacking in this game? Dang.

I imagine there are several people who are very cautious when using their hacks and don't get caught as easily.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

@Hard I just finished the 10 wins with SAT challenge and I didn't get the flag charm :(

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Attackers being able to open Mira's windows by punching the opposite side of a reinforced wall is a known issue, right?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

afkmacro posted:

@Hard I just finished the 10 wins with SAT challenge and I didn't get the flag charm :(

Sometimes it takes a little time to filter through Uplay.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I imagine there are several people who are very cautious when using their hacks and don't get caught as easily.

Why not just play the loving game?? Why do people do this metagame poo poo of trying to sneak hacks through without getting noticed, gambling on their account?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Some people spend more effort trying to cheat than they would need to study. I guess beating the system is more satisfying

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Behold, the Hibana Hatch Trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWX3aQzSh8&t=434s

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I got headshotted from the front as a fully deployed Montagne. How is that even possible? The kill cam showed the bullet pop the top of my head but I was middle-click deployed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I got headshotted from the front as a fully deployed Montagne. How is that even possible? The kill cam showed the bullet pop the top of my head but I was middle-click deployed.

Shields are super busted right now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shields have been super busted for like 2 seasons.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ah right, I thought they got made OP in this latest patch cause we had a guy just fully deploy in the doorway and trap us all in a room. We couldn't escape because the only other escape route was covered by two enemies. His teammate was stood behind him periodically sniping us off and smoke figured it was a good idea to waste his grenades on the two mobile dudes instead of Montagne to flush him out and help us flank him.

Also, I'm super pleased with my progress. I went from noob-tier bottom of the scoreboard to 8/10 rounds being top of the scoreboard. It finally hit me that if I take it slow and steady and play it smart, I'll get kills better. That and using an ACOG has made popping heads much easier. Before, I'd start a firefight at a window as an attacker and not move, then wonder how the enemy could snipe me so much. Like I'd strafe across the window, fire, cover for a few seconds, then repeat, it was so predictable. It finally dawned on me that I should mix it up and never attack from the same position twice unless the enemy has pressure from another direction. Has made me net kills way more regularly, which is great. I've also started using drones a lot more. Twitch and IQ are my favourite characters. I love the marksman rifle with ACOG. If teammates are being helpful, I'll get one to breach a window whilst I'm rappelling and then use beams or balconies to cover me as I quickly pop up to snipe before going back down again.

This game is great.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
http://streamable.com/zkabx

game broke pls fix

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Loopoo posted:

Ah right, I thought they got made OP in this latest patch cause we had a guy just fully deploy in the doorway and trap us all in a room. We couldn't escape because the only other escape route was covered by two enemies. His teammate was stood behind him periodically sniping us off and smoke figured it was a good idea to waste his grenades on the two mobile dudes instead of Montagne to flush him out and help us flank him.

Also, I'm super pleased with my progress. I went from noob-tier bottom of the scoreboard to 8/10 rounds being top of the scoreboard. It finally hit me that if I take it slow and steady and play it smart, I'll get kills better. That and using an ACOG has made popping heads much easier. Before, I'd start a firefight at a window as an attacker and not move, then wonder how the enemy could snipe me so much. Like I'd strafe across the window, fire, cover for a few seconds, then repeat, it was so predictable. It finally dawned on me that I should mix it up and never attack from the same position twice unless the enemy has pressure from another direction. Has made me net kills way more regularly, which is great. I've also started using drones a lot more. Twitch and IQ are my favourite characters. I love the marksman rifle with ACOG. If teammates are being helpful, I'll get one to breach a window whilst I'm rappelling and then use beams or balconies to cover me as I quickly pop up to snipe before going back down again.

This game is great.

Not just standing and staring at a window or doorway you saw movement in is one of the hardest bad habits to break.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

afkmacro posted:

As Joeslop said, restart client /give it some time. If you don't have it by tomorrow fill a support ticket.

Weird.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Draxion posted:

Attackers being able to open Mira's windows by punching the opposite side of a reinforced wall is a known issue, right?
Yea, people who play the game know about it. :anime:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FYI the issues thermiting C4'd reinforcements are back. :(

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Hard posted:

No you're actually right on quoting me. Casual is a big dice roll with very few yet important rules.

Casual's ''own'' MMR is basically party size and pings. I don't know why it's phrase as if it has the same system as ranked.

Mind you much like ranked all of these things can and will fuckoff if it takes too much time to find a decent match.

With the beginning of the new season I challenge this statement!
The vast majority of our casual matches last season was against Platinums and Diamonds, right around where our team settled in ranked. A few gold or even silver here or there but never below that.

Now, with the beginning of the new season, I feel really bad about farming people whose levels are in the single digits and/or a K/D of 0.2. I bet as soon as I've done my 10 placement matches I won't see them again.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/PRQA3EJ.gifv

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

That's an old bug too, although I've only ever seen it happen with Blitz. On his screen he's running around as normal and can interact with things and shoot people just fine, but on everyone else's screen he's standing off wherever. I think it started in season 3 or something and they fixed it, and then it came back this season. I had it happen to me on Kafe with an enemy Blitz.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The shortie shotgun is painfully bad; it's got some absurd damage falloff. Even if you're only using it for making murder holes it sucks at it; they're tiny by comparison with any other shotgun. If you ever have to actually kill someone with it you basically need to be at Cav's original pistol range to do damage.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

I probably shouldn't be surprised given the free weekend just ended and we likely have a new batch of garbage people.

And yet there I sat just so massively disappointed as this WAS a good round until they went and ruined it.

• Locked thread