Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really know what was wrong with my transmission. It was making a weird garbly noise and there was a bad vibration on the gear selector. I'm guessing it was eating itself or something and there were just bits floating around in it. All I know is two days after I brought it in the BMW guy said they were giving me a new $10k transmission for the $50 CPO deductible. After that, I'll probably never buy a car with a DCT ever again, because holy poo poo, when I looked up the part number on some parts site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

Uhh, don't you also have a car in which the engine has poo poo itself? 🤔

A car that got regular oil changes and has an engine that's grenaded once before.

E: Also, the more I think about it, the more I think the tranmission didn't like having its fluid changed a couple months ago because still no mixed fluids and I haven't smelled coolant coming from the tailpipe lately.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

:stare: toyota sure have figured out this whole "safe car" thing.

Welp, found this to be true first-hand today. Not going to go into details but it involved my Lexus hitting a near stationary car at 70mph and then still being perfectly drivable. Still totalled though :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Welp, found this to be true first-hand today. Not going to go into details but it involved my Lexus hitting a near stationary car at 70mph and then still being perfectly drivable. Still totalled though :(

I bet I know where you can find a few spare parts for it :v:

Or is this going to become a parts car for one of your other shells?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nooo, hopefully not the rare one? Glad you are (seemingly) ok otherwise.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's pretty impressive it's held up this long. Is it still running?

Amazingly it does still run. Sounds like complete poo poo though, with how wobbly everything is. He originally wanted help replacing the push rods and rockers on it, thinking that was the problem and not realizing how bad it actually was. We went through with anyway, even though that thing is on borrowed time, to teach our friend how an engine works and why he needs to change the loving oil.

We were going to drop the oil pan but after the ferrofluid decided it wasn't worth it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Never know, maybe all it needs is near bearings and rings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Poop Cupcake posted:

Amazingly it does still run. Sounds like complete poo poo though, with how wobbly everything is. He originally wanted help replacing the push rods and rockers on it, thinking that was the problem and not realizing how bad it actually was. We went through with anyway, even though that thing is on borrowed time, to teach our friend how an engine works and why he needs to change the loving oil.

We were going to drop the oil pan but after the ferrofluid decided it wasn't worth it.

Oh, it's a 2.2. I'm not surprised in the least that thing is still ticking. I'd run a grip of Rislone through the oil and then take it rallycrossing.

Is the head gasket leaking? I bet bearing material makes great block seal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Never know, maybe all it needs is near bearings and rings.

Everything near the bearings maybe.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cakesmith handyman posted:

Everything near the bearings maybe.

I had meant to type new, but I'm not going to change it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

We used to own a 2001 RAV4 with a stick. Loved that little SUV. Anyway one time it ate its transmission with no warning at about 120k miles. We'd bought it used and it was obviously well outside of warranty but the dealer we bought it from and took it to for service contacted Toyota and we ended up getting a whole new transmission for free. Never did find out what happened though.

The '96 Rav4 we have screwed up it's 5th gear detents or something shortly after buying it. Did some reading and it's a common issue that's fixed for a while by replacing everything to do with 5th gear. It would cost more in parts to repair than I paid for it. So it's an honorary 4 speed like so many others of the year range. It is high enough strung that it tends to piss me off so I hold it in 5th. Weird thing is if I'm driving way too slow for 5th but put it in, it doesn't pop out even if I hit the accelerator and let it shudder and chug from lack of revs. Same goes for stationery and slipping the clutch against 5th. Don't worry. I just did these trying to figure out wtf.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Terrible Robot posted:

Nooo, hopefully not the rare one? Glad you are (seemingly) ok otherwise.

Thanks, I posted in my thread, but tl;dc its not the rare one ;)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737490&pagenumber=10#post469245119

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Epoxy and glitter.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
What am I looking at here?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Drill twice, measure never.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dannywilson posted:

What am I looking at here?

The old adage of "measure once, cut twice."

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Oh I thought there was more to it because I'm not familiar with bikes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
From the cycle pictures thread:

Coydog posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't know how to adjust the length. That first hole would have worked just fine.

:lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Shouldn't have had to drill a hole in the first place, should have run the QS sensor inline with the shift rod.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Powershift posted:

"OH gently caress OH gently caress OH poo poo OH gently caress OH gently caress" ~this guy, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPt8Y3BKGc&t=13s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
RC jet failure

https://gfycat.com/ForsakenDistinctBorer

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

God drat that's heartbreaking. How many hours of work in that? Poor fucker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

The old adage of "measure once, cut twice."

I've always been partial to "measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HandlingByJebus posted:

God drat that's heartbreaking. How many hours of work in that? Poor fucker.

Needed to spend a couple more on the vertical stab...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Looks about right for Brazil, no?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The plane thought it was Senna.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
1:2 Scale? That thing had to have been absolutely massive!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

The Door Frame posted:

1:2 Scale? That thing had to have been absolutely massive!

Here's the full video, and yes, it's loving huge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Did it just suffer a total integrity existence failure? Looked like it was just flying along minding its business and popped.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Vertical stab comes loose, which induces drag and loss of lift on the tail, which in turn throws the plane into a tail-down position, which at that speed introduces the wing spars to forces they were not designed to handle. Poof, the wings fall off and take half the plane with them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dannywilson posted:

Vertical stab comes loose, which induces drag and loss of lift on the tail, which in turn throws the plane into a tail-down position, which at that speed introduces the wing spars to forces they were not designed to handle. Poof, the wings fall off and take half the plane with them.

R.U.D.

That blows, looked like a hell of a plane. I wonder what kind of turbine they were running (or should I say where the turbine came from originally)?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Dannywilson posted:

Here's the full video, and yes, it's loving huge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

Was waiting for them to pull a half size gurney out of that SUV for the pilot.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
No, he's off to sadly ring a doorbell of a 1:2 scale house and deliver some 1:2 scale bad news to a 1:2 scale wife and children.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have some half sized bad news. May I come half way in?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dannywilson posted:

No, he's off to sadly ring a doorbell of a 1:2 scale house and deliver some 1:2 scale bad news to a 1:2 scale wife and children.
"If you want to be a big man in a small town, gently caress off up the model village"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got some half bad news. You did qualify for half of the standard life insurance payout.

The pilot was more of a "the glass is half half" guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FAA's report concluded that's why you don't half rear end your elevators.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flags flew at a quarter mast that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Eh, you'll be half fine after half a night's sleep.