Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Of course people aren't going to literally confuse the products.

However, it causes issues in other ways. Perhaps you want to know if the G6 is going to have an OLED display? Oh, I'm getting all TV results from Google.

Oh, maybe this phone will have a 4k display, let me search on tha... .oh.

When are the going to start selling them at Best buy..... goddammit, more TVs.

It's just a silly thing that causes weird crossovers and isn't optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's LG. Doing stupid things is sort of their bag.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Of course people aren't going to literally confuse the products.

However, it causes issues in other ways. Perhaps you want to know if the G6 is going to have an OLED display? Oh, I'm getting all TV results from Google.

Oh, maybe this phone will have a 4k display, let me search on tha... .oh.

When are the going to start selling them at Best buy..... goddammit, more TVs.

It's just a silly thing that causes weird crossovers and isn't optimal.

Lol you think anyone researches phones beyond "I HATE APPLE AND WANT A DROID" and then buy whatever Verizon workers have the biggest spiff on that week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm anxiously awaiting the LG G7.

They'll either style the L like an upside down 7 or style the 7 like and upside down L.

Oh.........

They'll style the L as an upside down 7 AND the 7 as an upside down L because it DEFIES CONVENTION.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Chiming in to say the AXON7 owns.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say, I've been meaning to ask you regarding car charging again.

Aside from your Tylt charger + adapter setup, is there any other reliable way of getting better than 1.5A without using a USB-C car charger? I've tried multiple 2.4A chargers along with both approved A-C Anker cables in Nathan's sheet and am still getting no better than 1.5A.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

E: Awful App strikes again :argh:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Chiming in to say the AXON7 owns.

Have you taken any long-exposure photos with its manual mode in the camera app? I thought I read it can take up to 20 second exposures.

(e: obviously the phone would need to be affixed to a tripod or set against a sturdy object)

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 9, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol I noticed some sluggishness in the keyboard on my Pixel XL and it turns out it was installing a system update in the background. Now the sluggishness is gone and it's on step 2 of the install, looks like it does this with a restart at the end instead of having to restart at the beginning with the little Android with its guts out for 10 mins while it installs in recovery.

Well that's real fuckin' neato.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Faulty batteries cause fire at Samsung factory

hahaha god Samsung get it together.

In other news I received the February security patch on my Nexus 6P today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

anakha posted:

Say, I've been meaning to ask you regarding car charging again.

Aside from your Tylt charger + adapter setup, is there any other reliable way of getting better than 1.5A without using a USB-C car charger? I've tried multiple 2.4A chargers along with both approved A-C Anker cables in Nathan's sheet and am still getting no better than 1.5A.

Approved means it's constructed properly, but it may have high IR drop which causes slower charging. I know he mentioned that specifically about some of the Anker Powerline cables.

I haven't really tried anything other than the chargers mentioned in the prior post, so I'm not sure what would be best.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to buy a 128gb pixel on the pixel site. Since the availability is so low I suppose I could go for an XL or a normal size but I'm leaning towards xl. I have been checking daily (apparently the inventory changes daily?? Is that true?) but have never managed to 'catch' a 128gb one being in stock. Will it be like this forever? How can I actually buy a god damned pixel? I want to stick to my 30/month t-mobile e-plan so I'm going to buy it full price. Currently using a moto x 2013, so I've had my phone about 3 years.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Do you think you could make do with a 32GB model? I only ask because my phone has 128GB of storage and after almost 6 months I've only used 10 (plus 9 used for the OS). That's with 7 gigs worth of apps another GB of photos which I rarely delete, plus miscellaneous cache data and what have you.

E: half of that storage is a 64GB SD card which has got 0 use and was basically a waste of a few bucks. Obviously, personal usage requirements differ, but with all my media in the cloud I really don't give a hoot about storage anymore.

E2:

FAUXTON posted:

Well if you're on the road a lot, animes, etc.

I broke one of the cardinal rules of the Android Thread just now, didn't I? I'm sorry.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 9, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mental Hospitality posted:

Do you think you could make do with a 32GB model? I only ask because my phone has 128GB of storage and after almost 6 months I've only used 10 (plus 9 used for the OS). That's with 7 gigs worth of apps another GB of photos which I rarely delete, plus miscellaneous cache data and what have you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Anime is a very important resource. If your phone doesn't have 60gb of it at all times, you may find yourself without after just a few days of watching

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

Anime is a very important resource. If your phone doesn't have 60gb of it at all times, you may find yourself without after just a few days of watching

I'm getting the shakes just thinking of it, that's why I carry a car battery and a petabyte worth of portable storage on to-go cables.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
How in the hell is the Pixel XL still completely out of stock? It's been out for months! Did Google just not expect it was going to sell?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

How in the hell is the Pixel XL still completely out of stock? It's been out for months! Did Google just not expect it was going to sell?

The blue xl one was in stock a couple days ago last time I looked...if, you know, you want a blue phone.

It is pretty Google of them that they're still having stock issues.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Verizon is probably getting 95% of the production.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Google.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Google: a company that can sometimes come scarily close to predicting your thoughts with statistics and modeling but still can't figure out supply chain management.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair to Google, they've never had a popular phone before and I'd imagine Verizon gets first dibs on new stock what with them being their partner and all.

That said, I didn't have to wait long for my blue Pixel or blue Pixel XL but I'm not so dead inside that I'd be willing to settle for one of the two ways to express the total absence of color.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Pixel's primary point of sale is almost certainly Verizon.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Have you taken any long-exposure photos with its manual mode in the camera app? I thought I read it can take up to 20 second exposures.

(e: obviously the phone would need to be affixed to a tripod or set against a sturdy object)

No, but that's not really my jam. I do the camera app is one of the few good things on ZTEs stock rom though. I'm currently on the unofficial Lineage OS build.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone gets to live through their own Shawshank redemption crawl to freedom then. Except instead of freedom on the other side it's just endless shitpipe but now you also have the best phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Actually according to information we've seen the split is about 50/50:

LastInLine posted:

We were just talking about sales of phones and there's some interesting data here.

Specifically, they have some data on sales of specific models in the three months ending November 2016. Bear in mind, these numbers are of the entire US smartphone market, not just Android marketshare:

One thing they don't say is absolute smartphone sales numbers, so we can't extrapolate that to units sold, but we can say that there is a little more than one Pixel sold for every 25 Samsung phones (unclear if that 28.9% is just the s7/s7e or all of the other ones too, but I'm reading it as all Samsungs), and that "over half" of those Pixels were sold through Verizon, which surprises me that it wouldn't be well over three-quarters. Given the way fractions in the news works I'd say we can safely say that more than 51% were sold through Verizon but not 66%.

The press release with the graph is mostly uninteresting (you can see their only graph here) but thought the Pixel numbers were interesting on their own since I think that's the most we've ever heard about Google device sales numbers. Also worth noting is that the Pixel wasn't really available until mid-October.

Obviously there's some supposition but I stand by it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Actually according to information we've seen the split is about 50/50:

Obviously there's some supposition but I stand by it.

That's actually pretty interesting.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's actually pretty interesting.

Yeah, stuff like 4% of Samsung's sales is considered strong enough to be noteworthy for an OEM and like you I would've assumed Pixels would go at least 80/20 to Verizon. I really wish there was some way to get at the raw data though. Like how many HTC A9s sold?

Remember how Microsoft famously sold only 503 Kins? You've got to wonder if there are some flagship phones with similar numbers.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LastInLine posted:

Remember how Microsoft famously sold only 503 Kins? You've got to wonder if there are some flagship phones with similar numbers.

Oh wow, that's something I haven't thought about in a long time.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Sooooo, just received my Huawei P9 Lite and the receiver doesn't seem to be working. If I put it on speaker, I can hear people just fine, but if I don't there's only silence. Could there be some stupid setting? Or is this a hardware problem? I'd like to be sure before I send it back.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

cage-free egghead posted:

Pontiac also has a G6 so LG better come up with something else.

People don't give attention to televisions like they do for smartphones these days, unless you're talking with spec sheet nerds or people who like their job at Best Buy. Nobody is confusing the two because LG doesn't advertise their televisions like they do their flagship phones (at least not in the US) and the Signature G6 series is really loving expensive even by television standards.

LG G6 estimated price: $800

LG Signature G6 price: $6,000 at entry

Boy I wonder which is which.

I think you are missing the point. It is stupid for companies to to have over lapping names for products. It was stupid for Microsoft to name the 3rd Xbox, the Xbox One. It was stupid for HTC to introduce 3 different phones named the HTC One and even stupider for them to release a new flagship phone each year also named the HTC One. It is stupid for LG to have TVs and cellphones named the G6.

Why?

Because it is confusing for customers and it makes it hard to find information when you need it. You have a Moto X that has some bluetooth bug? Oh, well search for "Moto X bluetooth disconnect" and be treated to a bunch of search results that don't match your issue because you didn't know that you have a 2015 model and the results are for the 2013. Your average consumer probably doesn't even know that there was a previous model with the same name.

But they probably know that they have an iPhone 7 or Galaxy 8.

Edit: Oh hey, there was a-whole-nother page...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Approved means it's constructed properly, but it may have high IR drop which causes slower charging. I know he mentioned that specifically about some of the Anker Powerline cables.

I haven't really tried anything other than the chargers mentioned in the prior post, so I'm not sure what would be best.

I might have stumbled on why the Tylt RIBBN works to fast charge your Pixel.

According to Nathan K, Apple-type 12W charging can charge a Pixel at 2.4a, even using an A-C cable. Since the Tylt RIBBN also comes with a Lightning cable version, I suspect they applied the same Apple 2.4a signaling to both the Lightning and micro-USB variants.

Basically, you can fast charge your Pixel with any Apple 12w charger and any suitable A-C cable.

This applies only to Pixels, though - the 6P and 5x would still charge using these accessories at 1.5a only.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Good find!

There you have it folks. Best car charging strategy right now for the Pixel is to find a good Apple charger without a captive cable and get an approved A-C cable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Another reason to get 64 or 128G of storage is Android on every device I have touched, always runs better with a nice chunk of free storage vs near full. So if you have 32G of unexpandable storage, keeping a nice chunk of storage free for the phone to stay spunky would be a little harder for some people than if you had more storage in the long run.

Hell I somehow seem to fill up my 128G (usually with some movies, lots of apps and a Titanium backup or two) but keeping about 20G free seems to keep the 6P going at a nice clip. If you drop below it seems 6G or so then the thing takes a nose dive. I wonder how the Pixel's handle with full storage.

On older devices with slower storage, this was immensely more important. My EVO LTE was atrocious with the split 16G storage it started out with (like a 4/9G split or something stupid) that made it nearly impossible to have more than a few apps installed without dropping the main OS storage below 1G and tanking the phones performance. The 4.3 Update you had to install manually, fixed it to be a single 16G storage and made the phone infinitely better, but way too late in its life cycle.

On the Pixel update front, my Sisters Husbands's XL he finally got from Verizon, updated in his pocket to 7.1.1 before I could do the Bootloader unlock for him lol. Those stupid persistent update notifications.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

On the Pixel update front, my Sisters Husbands's XL he finally got from Verizon, updated in his pocket to 7.1.1 before I could do the Bootloader unlock for him lol. Those stupid persistent update notifications.

Why would you unlock the bootloader for someone? If he knew enough about it to want it, he could do it himself. Is this something you wanted for him?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

He liked to dabble in custom rom stuff at times, but outside of that this isn't a huge loss. Just didn't have the means to do it as he got the phone right as he was going on a trip and it updated in transit.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Potentially stupid question incoming:

A couple weeks ago I bought a Moto G4 Plus on the advice of this thread. It's a good phone and super cheap and everyone should buy one.

I'm still on Android 6 - isn't Nougat supposed to be available for me? I have not gotten it OTA (bought phone unlocked on Amazon and put my old ATT SIM in with no issues). When I go to settings on the phone to try to get it to update manually, it says I'm up to date.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Potentially stupid question incoming:

A couple weeks ago I bought a Moto G4 Plus on the advice of this thread. It's a good phone and super cheap and everyone should buy one.

I'm still on Android 6 - isn't Nougat supposed to be available for me? I have not gotten it OTA (bought phone unlocked on Amazon and put my old ATT SIM in with no issues). When I go to settings on the phone to try to get it to update manually, it says I'm up to date.

Still waiting on my OTA Nougat on my G4+ as well (on Cricket). I read the update was supposed to roll out by the end of Feb, but it is Motorola, it could be the end of March.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Still waiting on my OTA Nougat on my G4+ as well (on Cricket). I read the update was supposed to roll out by the end of Feb, but it is Motorola, it could be the end of March.

Believe all Moto Nougat updates have been pushed back to May. At least has been for all the X range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

India and Brazil are the only ones getting updates on the G4/G4+ currently.