Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Parachutes and a reversed saturn 5 mounted in front of the train sounds like the most ideal safety mechanism. No one stand within a mile of the front of a train though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Momentum is a hell of a thing. And inertia.
Uh-hu. And no mechanical grip whatsoever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

Uh-hu. And no mechanical grip whatsoever.

See my edit.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Parachutes and a reversed saturn 5 mounted in front of the train sounds like the most ideal safety mechanism. No one stand within a mile of the front of a train though.

That Saturn 5 made 24 billion joules pushing its 5,000,000 pound payload

I am trying to then compare it to how many joules a 13,000 short ton (26,000,000 pound) train going 50 mph has and get (Answer 2.9461e+9)

to see how that 165 second burn time would affect the train

I am not good with calculators. Am I wrong or is this 2.9461e+9 actually 2,946,100,000?

24 billion joules (found the figure thrown around on the internet not quantified by me) would be 24,000,000,000,000

24000000000000 / 2946100000 = 8,146.36298835749

So this rocket would be able to stop this train like 8000 times over?

Discuss

laugh at me

whatever.

I am curious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You sort of have to completely ignore the fact that all of that energy working only on the front locomotive of the train would also cause the worlds largest derailment, and the only derailment where the locomotive was pushed backwards through the entire consist as it was coming off the tracks.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

The Locator posted:

You sort of have to completely ignore the fact that all of that energy working only on the front locomotive of the train would also cause the worlds largest derailment, and the only derailment where the locomotive was pushed backwards through the entire consist as it was coming off the tracks.

Yeah, and I don't think even the new DOT-117 tankers could stand up to the backblast of a Saturn V at full burn. The worlds largest derailment and fireball rolled into one!

Edit: I have to admit it would be one spectacular show however

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 8, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Build stronger trains. Duh.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

Kerbal Railways

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wolrah posted:

Kerbal Railways

:jeb:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Do what we do and build trains that break down before they go that fast in the first place.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

So this rocket would be able to stop this train like 8000 times over?

Sounds about right, the Saturn V was a monster.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
One of my greatest regrets in life is that I will never see a saturn v fire.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The mars rocket will be a ton of smaller engines I assume, instead of just 5 massive ones like the saturn V. But it will be awesome, for sure. I got to see a static test last summer of the SLS motor, that was pretty loving cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sincx posted:

The Falcon Heavy will b pretty decent, and Musk's Mars rocket will beat the Saturn V.

That's if they don't run out of money anyway

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

One of my greatest regrets in life is that I will never see a saturn v fire.

While that would be something, I believe the Space Shuttle would have been a more impressive experience. Just the visuals caused by the SRB's would have been something.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

While that would be something, I believe the Space Shuttle would have been a more impressive experience. Just the visuals caused by the SRB's would have been something.

Good news! Imagine the Space Shuttle but with an extra main engine and even bigger SRBs and you can see one launch as early as next year.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Shuttle night launch from Playalinda. Pretty sure nothing else I see will ever match that.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Axeman Jim posted:

Clearly what we need are parachutes.

Why don't they just make the road lower?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The mars rocket will be a ton of smaller engines I assume, instead of just 5 massive ones like the saturn V. But it will be awesome, for sure. I got to see a static test last summer of the SLS motor, that was pretty loving cool.

lots of smaller engines didn't work out too hot for the Soviets though

turns out having lots of small rockets as opposed to a few big ones make the rocket plumbing a lot more complicated and prone to failure

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The time I went (that I can remember) it was delayed. :( I did get at least to see it up in the sky :)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MikeCrotch posted:

turns out having lots of small rockets as opposed to a few big ones make the rocket plumbing a lot more complicated and prone to failure
Well, more like not testing the engines and not ever testing the whole rocket before flight (because you don't have a test stand for it) makes it a lot more prone to failure.

At that point you're just lighting it up and hoping for the best, no matter what your engine layout is like.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MikeCrotch posted:

More devices -> more moving parts -> higher chance of one failing per unit time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NoWake posted:

As far as obvious goes, I think the 'Schwellenpflug' trumps retro-rockets:

What the gently caress was that even used for? Scorched earth tactics of "we're retreating, have fun rebuilding the tracks if you wanna use them"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierzak posted:

What the gently caress was that even used for? Scorched earth tactics of "we're retreating, have fun rebuilding the tracks if you wanna use them"?

Exactly this at the end of World War 2. So long, kiss your train lines goodbye.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The current crop of SpaceX rockets that land back at the cape are pretty amazing at night, even from 40 miles away.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

meltie posted:

More devices -> more moving parts -> higher chance of one failing per unit time.
Yes, but there's more aspects to the equation and it's much more complex than big engines > small engines. Is the rocket capable of withstanding an engine failure? If so, reliability may be increased by more engines. How much does launching more engines increase their reliability from the additional flight experience gained? What size do cost, thrust and other factors optimize for given your particular design constraints?

There's also some non-obvious factors, like how SpaceX's Mars plans only use one type of engine. Every launch gives you 52 engines worth of flight experience. By the time you're trying to land on Mars it's nice if the engine you're relying on in order to not splatter all over the landscape is one that has hundreds of successes under its belt, rather than one that's only ever been flown a few times.

Sorry for the derail. :v:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Elukka posted:

Yes, but there's more aspects to the equation and it's much more complex than big engines > small engines. Is the rocket capable of withstanding an engine failure? If so, reliability may be increased by more engines. How much does launching more engines increase their reliability from the additional flight experience gained? What size do cost, thrust and other factors optimize for given your particular design constraints?

There's also some non-obvious factors, like how SpaceX's Mars plans only use one type of engine. Every launch gives you 52 engines worth of flight experience. By the time you're trying to land on Mars it's nice if the engine you're relying on in order to not splatter all over the landscape is one that has hundreds of successes under its belt, rather than one that's only ever been flown a few times.

why do you hate giant rocket engines :cryingF-1:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Theris posted:

Good news! Imagine the Space Shuttle but with an extra main engine and even bigger SRBs and you can see one launch as early as next year.

Can confirm, I saw the static test of one of these srbs and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Two of them during launch is gonna be goddamned awesome.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kalman posted:

Shuttle night launch from Playalinda. Pretty sure nothing else I see will ever match that.

My wife got to see a shuttle launch in person as a kid and says it's still the most amazing thing she's ever seen. One of these days I want to get down to the cape to see a rocket launch myself, even if it's not the shuttle.

Elukka posted:

Well, more like not testing the engines and not ever testing the whole rocket before flight (because you don't have a test stand for it) makes it a lot more prone to failure.

At that point you're just lighting it up and hoping for the best, no matter what your engine layout is like.

Expanding on this, the Soviet space program was characterized by multiple competing design groups, each with their own ideas of what goals to focus on (lunar landing, mars flybys, manned space stations in LEO, military ICBMs, etc) and how to get there. In addition to producing lots of political infighting, this also made it impossible to focus vast resources on a single project as NASA did. There was also a pervasive culture of "just put it on the pad and see if it'll fly", although, to be fair, that applied more to systems and integration testing than to propulsion testing; apparently, it was common for the engines to be fully tested and integrated and the rest of the systems flight-ready before the systems test rigs were finished, and with pressure to go fast fast fast there was a strong incentive to cross your fingers and roll the rocket out to the launchpad as soon as you had all the parts. The soviet space program didn't kill very many astronauts* but they blew up an awful lot of rockets -- some of them in pretty amazing ways, like the destruction of Soyuz No. 1.

On top of that, they didn't even start the N1 program until after Apollo was well underway; initially they were planning less ambitious circumlunar missions, but after Gemini, Korolev (the designer of the R-7, still in use today) was able to talk them into backing the much more ambitious N1 project and try for a manned lunar landing. Due partly to these factional disputes and partly to the time crunch to beat the Americans to the moon, Korolev (over objections by other designers) opted to dispense with test rigs for the first stage (which would have cost ~$100M and taken 2-3 years to construct) in favour of rig-testing individual engines (and the second and third stages, which they could modify existing rigs for) and then trusting KORD, the computerized engine regulator, to handle individual engine failures on the first stage.

In practice, of course, it didn't work that way. The closely-packed design of the N1 Block A meant that any sort of destructive engine failure -- which is most engine failures -- would inevitably damage the surrounding engines or fuel lines. Launches 1 and 4 had fuel lines rupture (for different reasons) and start a fire in the first stage, and launch 2 had a turbopump explode during liftoff; launch 3, which went into an uncontrolled roll due to aerodynamic forces and ripped itself apart, was the only launch not to be destroyed by an engine failure.

People often wonder what would have happened if Korolev hadn't died in 1966, but I don't think the problems with the N1 were surmountable, even by him -- at least, not in the time frame they needed to beat the Apollo program to the surface of the moon. Possibly it would have been a different story if he'd been more open to criticism and gone with Glushko's suggestion of building the first stage of R-7 style engine clusters that could be rig-tested as sealed units and then combined into the first stage, but he didn't.

If you feel up to reading 3000+ pages about the Soviet space program, all four volumes of Rockets and People by Boris Chertok -- director of control systems development for Korolev's OKB-1 design bureau from 1946 onwards -- have been translated by NASA and are available for free online. The last two volumes (Hot Days of the Cold War and The Moon Race) are the ones with the most explosions in them.

* although there were some pretty horrific ground crew casualties

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

I forgot what discussion was happening in this thread and thought this was going to be a link to soviet trains that used hundreds of tiny locomotives.
:(

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

jamal posted:

How about, like, a big long shoe that extended down from the car itself to basically pick the car up off the rail? You could just have a few cars retrofitted or specific braking cars that sat throughout the train.

Friend of mine works for bnsf up in glacier, they just got a whole boatload of snow so he's having a fun time dealing with trains stuck in the snow and the tracks blocked by avalanches.

So track brakes on a spread of cars (or, hell, all of them)? It works for passenger trains, so it hardly seems impossible.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Erwin posted:

I forgot what discussion was happening in this thread and thought this was going to be a link to soviet trains that used hundreds of tiny locomotives.
:(

I would definitely read an Axeman Jim style series of posts (or a book, for that matter) about soviet rail. There have to be some delightfully weird stories in there.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

One train-related thing regarding the soviet space program, they used a specialized multi-track railway to transport the launch platforms:

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 9, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Elukka posted:

No apologies! This was a good derail, and an interesting exercise in risk accounting! Anywhere I can read more about it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's absolutely shocking to me that no one has made a derail pun yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

One train-related thing regarding the soviet space program, they used a specialized multi-track railway to transport the launch platforms:

Russian version:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
That picture of the Buran on rails looks like it coulda come straight out of Thunderbirds

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
But those two images you quoted are the Russian versions.
That is the Buran space shuttle.

The American space shuttles were rolled to the pad upright on the mobile crawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
I'm on a Pacer! It's not very good.