Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't want to be all :goonsay: about it, but seriously consider ditching the dashi powder. It saves you little time, it costs roughly the same, and has MSG out the rear end. To me, eliminating MSG and keeping your sodium reasonable is worth the time (maybe 2 minutes more, maybe). There's only one more step, the measurements can be whatever you want, and if you were going to bring the powder to a rolling boil it takes the same amount of time either way. There are some ok substitutions out there, but most of them are weird and from old rear end cookbooks that assumed there was no chance in hell of you obtaining the authentic ingredients except by mail-order. Oh and try out konnyaku or shirataki. It can fill in for a starch and has no nutritional content, at all. Goes good with olive oil, ponzu, maybe other citrus, mentsuyu kind ofsauces, in nabemono, that sort of thing.

But msg is naturally occurring in the kombu you use when making home made dashi...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the alternative to dashi powder? Making your own? Are the I gredjenrs for that something I can pick up in my grocery store?

MSG is not really a concern. It occurs naturally in lots of Asian food. The hysteria around MSG is a combination of corporate interests diverting attention away from poor health as a result of increasing use of sugar and HFCS, and of a rather racist domestic campaign against the Chinese via Chinese food. MSG is not the enemy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unless you have a medical reason or are trapped in the middle of the ocean, there's no reason to avoid sodium.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Myself and the CDC would respectfully disagree citing increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Myself and the CDC would respectfully disagree citing increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.

You don't understand the CDC. Nor do you understand msg. Go drink soy sauce and live happy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Salt and msg are delicious and if loving them means my remains are beautifully pickled, so be it.

Anyone got the goods on fresh sardine recipes? I've done a simmered one that ends with a somewhat sweet glaze - iwashi no kanroni? - but that preparation wasn't really to my taste.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Really hosed up making a pizza guys, pretty upset about it

- didn't have dough so i used a tortilla
- cheese went bad so i threw it out and just put mayo on the tortilla instead
- didn't have sauce or any actual kitchen tools so i just smashed a tomato onto it with my face
- oven was full of garbage so i just left it out in the sun for 4 hours

I'm thinking that pizza just can't handle substitutions very well, does anybody see where i went wrong

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ALFbrot posted:

- didn't have sauce or any actual kitchen tools so i just smashed a tomato onto it with my face

I'm thinking that pizza just can't handle substitutions very well, does anybody see where i went wrong

I make pizzas like that all the time and they come out fine, I think you are just a bad cook.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ALFbrot posted:

You forgot the dashi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't want to be all :goonsay: about it, but seriously consider ditching the dashi powder. It saves you little time, it costs roughly the same, and has MSG out the rear end. To me, eliminating MSG and keeping your sodium reasonable is worth the time (maybe 2 minutes more, maybe).

You know that white powder on your kombu when you're making fresh dashi? That's MSG from the seaweed. Enjoy!

I agree that making fresh dashi is good but the powder's actually pretty good quality. I make dashi when I'm cooking something really dashi-centric like a clear udon soup and use the powder for stuff where the dashi is just a supporter to the other ingredients.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a specific go-to brand of instant dashi?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there a specific go-to brand of instant dashi?

Ajinomoto hondashi

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also use Ajinomoto. Sometimes if you're lucky there's a variety you can find, there's some made with anchovies instead of katsuobushi for a more Korean thing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I also use Ajinomoto. Sometimes if you're lucky there's a variety you can find, there's some made with anchovies instead of katsuobushi for a more Korean thing.

Oooh, I need to keep my eyes out for that cuz I am terrible at keeping dried anchovy around for Korean style.

Thanks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You don't understand the CDC. Nor do you understand msg. Go drink soy sauce and live happy.
You don't know me. You know what, do whatever. Sorry for interrupting.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

this guy might not like msg but he's plenty salty :grin:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Love that post/avatar combo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I don't know you, but I know you don't understand msg!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The only good argument against MSG is the same argument against salt - reduction of sodium intake.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Funnily enough, I just looked up MSG on the CDC's website and other than an entry for chinese restaurant syndrome still included on a clearinghouse page for foodborne illness etiology they seem mostly very interested in its use as a stabilizer in vaccines :shrug:

MSG's entry in their alphabetical index of topics is literally "Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) — See Vaccine Ingredients." You have to go to the mainline sodium entries if you want nutritional information.

So, Babylon Astronaut, I can say with the confidence of research that you do not understand the CDC.

On topic, though, does anyone have a good beginner's tsukemono guide? It was the best surprise I had eating in Japan in terms of being totally ubiquitous and awesome there and totally absent from stateside Japanese. I'm interested in getting into pickling myself eventually but I don't even know what exact vegetables I sampled over there so that might be a little further down the road yet for me.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

HookedOnChthonics posted:

On topic, though, does anyone have a good beginner's tsukemono guide? It was the best surprise I had eating in Japan in terms of being totally ubiquitous and awesome there and totally absent from stateside Japanese. I'm interested in getting into pickling myself eventually but I don't even know what exact vegetables I sampled over there so that might be a little further down the road yet for me.

I have Quick & Easy Tsukemono and it's pretty great. Some of the recipes are difficult, but there are also super easy ones. Preserving the Japanese Way is also supposed to be good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Can't remember if I put it in the op but I also recommend Quick & Easy Tsukemono.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

Can't remember if I put it in the op but I also recommend Quick & Easy Tsukemono.

It's real good. I've made just about every recipe in that book, save those I can't get the right ingredients for. (I'm looking at you, myoga.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

psychokitty posted:

I am officially purchasing shiso seeds to grow my own plant since I was unable to find fresh leaves for the sesame seed ICSA. I'm so jealous of people who don't live in St. Louis who can just pop down to a market and buy a freakin plant.

Months back, but I'm drunk and reviewing the thread.

Shiso is fussy as gently caress to grow from seed. Based on personal experience, I recommend you look into gibberellins (how the gently caress is that in my phone's autocorrect), or buy seedlings from a weird hippy herb lady at the farmer's market (like I do).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Shiso is fussy as gently caress to grow from seed.

:sticks head out from over 6 foot shiso plants that have taken over a portion of yard: gently caress you say?!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Perilla is easy as hell to start but I too have had a hell of a time getting aka and aoshiso to start from seed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I miss Shiso Pepsi...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Oh man, I've spent forever trying to figure out what this stuff is. No matter what I searched for I got kimchi. Would love to know a simple guide to making basic version of this with cabbage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Funnily enough, I just looked up MSG on the CDC's website and other than an entry for chinese restaurant syndrome still included on a clearinghouse page for foodborne illness etiology they seem mostly very interested in its use as a stabilizer in vaccines :shrug:

MSG's entry in their alphabetical index of topics is literally "Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) — See Vaccine Ingredients." You have to go to the mainline sodium entries if you want nutritional information.

So, Babylon Astronaut, I can say with the confidence of research that you do not understand the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/salt/
:milk:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

This is what we've been trying to tell you. Please stop digging.

totalnewbie posted:

The only good argument against MSG is the same argument against salt - reduction of sodium intake.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'll take all the sodium you guys don't want, I'm starting a collection.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Uh... planning to make some dashi, and couldn't find anything marked as Kombu in the asian supermarket near me, but bought this thing which I think is correct.

Did I buy the right thing or gently caress up and buy some other type of Kelp?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dunno, it appears to be in Chinese. Probably be fine, it looks OK.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Looks like kombu to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Buffis posted:

Uh... planning to make some dashi, and couldn't find anything marked as Kombu in the asian supermarket near me, but bought this thing which I think is correct.

Did I buy the right thing or gently caress up and buy some other type of Kelp?

Yes, that is kombu. Those first two characters are the Chinese word for it.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Great, thanks!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching Samurai Gourmet on Netflix, and in one scene they appear to grill a mackerel whole, creating a beautiful presentation with the tail curled upward to the right.

I see recipes for saba shioyaki online, but they exhibit fillets or the fish with the tail cut off, and I was wondering if you have any guidance for encouraging the tail to act as I saw on the screen.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Planning to try and make Tonkotsu Ramen next weeked, so tried making Tonkotsu Broth in a slow cooker yesterday in preparation for that.
Came out pretty well, for very little effort.

Roasting the pigs feet. Oink oink

Slow cooked with an onion for about 12 hours.

Strained.

Still need to make the Dashi, and the toppings and stuff.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Buffis posted:

Planning to try and make Tonkotsu Ramen next weeked, so tried making Tonkotsu Broth in a slow cooker yesterday in preparation for that.
Came out pretty well, for very little effort.

Roasting the pigs feet. Oink oink

Slow cooked with an onion for about 12 hours.

Strained.

Still need to make the Dashi, and the toppings and stuff.

So uh... I guess it came out pretty thick.
Will see if I'll have to dilute it when heating it for the noodles later.
Probably fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks fine to me. The best stock is immune to gravity.