Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Thank you for all of the responses! Unfortunately, I've already played quite a few of the games suggested, some more successfully than others. I own both Baldur's Gate games but haven't yet left the first town. I completed Firewatch but found it mediocre. The rest of the games were all played (or watched) for various lengths of time, but none of them particularly resonated with me. Admittedly, they belong to genres genres I've always had difficulty getting into.

After making my original post I realised just how many Playstation 3 games I want to play and decided to finally buy one before they become impossible to find. I suppose that answers the question of what I'll be playing next, but I'm still open to suggestions, especially if there's anything on the PS3 I might have overlooked!

basalt fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm on a multiplayer survival game kick again, but I remembered how buggy and janky Rust was (and still is) after about an hour of playing. I played a bit of The Forest and liked how visceral building was, but the lack of large scale multiplayer made me bored with it and I didn't like having to babysit 50 different hunger meeters and making sure I was eating enough fiber to poop at the correct intervals.

Things I like:

- Base building
- Exploring
- Collecting bear asses to upgrade my Stick of Stabiness to a +1 Stick of Flaming Stabiness
- Base building
- Not getting headshotted from across the map by hyperspergs that spend every waking moment playing
- Not having to log in every single day to tend crops / repair walls that somehow started falling about in 12 hours / remind the game I still love it
- Base building
- Getting the balcony off my master bedroom juuuuuust right
- Being able to carve out a little slice of the world as mine without worrying that it will be gone if I log out for more than 3 hours (this actually happened in Rust. It was just over 3 hours).
- Base building
- Coming up with clever / funny / Rube Goldbergesque death traps
- Being a sneaky bastard
- Complex building mechanics
- Servers that stick around for a while
- Games where solo-play is reasonably doable (I have no IRL friends that play video games :( )
- Some sort of planning mode or being able to fix misclicks without hitting a wall with a pickaxe for 3 hours

I don't mind someone finding a weakness in my defenses and making off with all my bear asses while I'm not looking. I mind when 20 people with nothing better to do wall me in and render my entire fortress of doom uninhabitable because their idea of fun is "nobody else gets to have any."

Maybe I should go back to Minecraft. :sigh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 7, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bloodclot posted:

This post grew a little unwieldy, but if you can be bothered to suffer through it I'd appreciate some recommendations!

That new Planescape game that's coming soon ; Numenera. Or Waking Mars, Limbo or Inside for shorter games. Those two have very neat atmospheres.

Other possible recommendations could be Dishonored or Abzu.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 7, 2017

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That new Planescape game that's coming soon ; Numenera. Or Waking Mars, Limbo or Inside for shorter games. Those two have very neat atmospheres.

Other possible recommendations could be Dishonored or Abzu.
Thank you for the response! I've played Inside, which was impressive, but it left me feeling underwhelmed by Limbo (I probably should have played it first). I've had my eye on Abzu for some time but I was waiting to see what the general reception was before buying it. I haven't heard of Waking Mars, but the concept of studying an ancient extraterrestrial ecosystem has me intrigued. I think I'll be picking this one up!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bloodclot posted:

Thank you for the response! I've played Inside, which was impressive, but it left me feeling underwhelmed by Limbo (I probably should have played it first). I've had my eye on Abzu for some time but I was waiting to see what the general reception was before buying it. I haven't heard of Waking Mars, but the concept of studying an ancient extraterrestrial ecosystem has me intrigued. I think I'll be picking this one up!

I really loved Waking Mars. It clicks all the right buttons for me; hard sci-fi, metroidvania, ecosystem sandbox.

Abzu on the other hand is more of a contemplative experience about exploring beautiful aquatic landscapes, swimming with manta rays and plesiosaurs and discovering some lore. That's pretty much it. It's short and not challenging, but it's a cool eye-candy, especially on a big screen with a controller.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is there a turn-based strategy game that is played on a modern-day, international world? Something like http://www.triplea-game.org/ except not a Risk-like?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

meatpath posted:

Is there a turn-based strategy game that is played on a modern-day, international world? Something like http://www.triplea-game.org/ except not a Risk-like?

What are you actually looking for? Because there are quite a few games that do this. Hearts of Iron 4 can cover most time periods with mods, ranging from WW1 to 2000 and beyond. If you want more industry and economy focus, go for Victoria 2, the base game of that goes pretty much up to WW2, but again, mods.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Mrs Jones is looking for a new game... her favourite games are various Animal Crossing[s, Stardew Valley and Fantasy Life, recently she's also liked a couple of Disney things on the 3DS but I can't remember what they're called (Magical World or Magical Kingdom or something). She likes but doesn't love most Harvest Moon games. She also likes Zelda, but I think it's specifically Zelda games so may not be interest in non-Zelda games in a similar genre.

Oh, she also loved Tomodachi Life. Other older DS games she liked were a series where you're stranded on a desert island (had Blue in the name) and some kind of Harry Potter meets Animal Crossing wizard school thing.

They have to be playable on Nintendo 3DS or a fairly low-spec tablet/laptop (Surface), preferably with a controller.

Basically cutesy town, village sims with personality that aren't focused on combat (but can have some), different jobs and collections and all that stuff... longevity would be a plus. She's not so into complex mechanics and something like Rimworld would almost certainly wouldn't do it for her.

There probably isn't anything that fits the bill on the DS that I'm not aware of, but could be some hidden gems on Steam I guess so I thought it was worth a shot.

I could probably have saved a lot of time and just typed "Games like Stardew Valley that aren't Harvest Moon"

Edit: I thought she might like some of the Shop/Tavern simulator type games you can get on Steam, particular if they have persistant scripted characters (like Stardew), but I have no idea if any of them are any good or not.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 7, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

Mrs Jones is looking for a new game... her favourite games are various Animal Crossing[s, Stardew Valley and Fantasy Life, recently she's also liked a couple of Disney things on the 3DS but I can't remember what they're called (Magical World or Magical Kingdom or something). She likes but doesn't love most Harvest Moon games. She also likes Zelda, but I think it's specifically Zelda games so may not be interest in non-Zelda games in a similar genre. Oh, she also loved Tomodachi Life.

They have to be playable on Nintendo 3DS or a fairly low-spec tablet/laptop (Surface), preferably with a controller.

Basically cutesy town, village sims with personality that aren't focused on combat (but can have some), different jobs and collections and all that stuff... longevity would be a plus. She's not so into complex mechanics and something like Rimworld would almost certainly wouldn't do it for her.

There probably isn't anything that fits the bill on the DS that I'm not aware of, but could be some hidden gems on Steam I guess so I thought it was worth a shot.

I could probably have saved a lot of time and just typed "Games like Stardew Valley that aren't Harvest Moon"

Edit: I thought she might like some of the Shop/Tavern simulator type games you can get on Steam, particular if they have persistant scripted characters (like Stardew), but I have no idea if any of them are any good or not.
Rune Factory 4 for 3DS? Scripted characters, fairly simple mechanics, kind of a blend of Harvest Moon and sort-of-Zela-like

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Rune Factory 4 for 3DS? Scripted characters, fairly simple mechanics, kind of a blend of Harvest Moon and sort-of-Zela-like

I think she's played it and wasn't a fan. But it might have been an earlier one and she might be more into it post-Stardew. I'll check with her, thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gravy Jones posted:

This might or might not fit, but Recettear?

e: Wait frick, reading comprehension - it's PC-only, afaik. Sorry. :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gravy Jones posted:

I think she's played it and wasn't a fan. But it might have been an earlier one and she might be more into it post-Stardew. I'll check with her, thanks.

Definitely Recettear, that'll run on low-power tablet. This one's a bit more out there, but try getting her into Picross on DS, that's crazy good casual puzzle fun. And I know this might seem obvious, but The Sims is always a good bet for a lifestyle kind of game. And if she liked Tomodachi Life, Miitomo on iOS/Android is a good idea.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is going to be a really broad question, but I'm wondering if there are any Western RPGs I haven't played yet that I really should. It can be old-school isometric, first-person, open world, whatever. I've played the Baldur's Gate series, the Divinity series, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, every Witcher game, the Fallout series, all the Elder Scrolls games starting with Morrowind, Pillars of Eternity and VtM: Bloodlines. I also have Tyranny wishlisted.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you like South Park the Order of the Stick was pretty fun.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Betrayal at Krondor was one of my old favorite RPGs if you haven't played that one already.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno how old/obscure you want to get since I've probably played hundreds of CRPGs but the new Shadowrun games - Dragonfall and Hong Kong, Shadowrun Returns is the first and isn't as good - are great for a start

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah the Shadowrun games are good and you can generally get them for a good price since they go on sale a lot.

Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2, Mass Effect, Dragon Age are a few others that come to mind.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Phlegmish posted:

This is going to be a really broad question, but I'm wondering if there are any Western RPGs I haven't played yet that I really should. It can be old-school isometric, first-person, open world, whatever. I've played the Baldur's Gate series, the Divinity series, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, every Witcher game, the Fallout series, all the Elder Scrolls games starting with Morrowind, Pillars of Eternity and VtM: Bloodlines. I also have Tyranny wishlisted.

Did you play the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2? It's fantastic, with a very cool setting, great writing and a compelling story. 20+th level D&D combat can get odd at times but it really is a worthwhile game to spend time with.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Empire, Bioware's best game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The new Torment game comes out this month and I have high hopes for it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I've played Mask of the Betrayer, good expansion for sure. Order of the Stick is wishlisted. I've played all the Shadowrun games except Hong Kong, which I have wishlisted. Tried out Legend of Grimrock but I'm not big into puzzles. I have yet to play Mass Effect 3, but I'm waiting until it gets on Steam (probably never). I've played the first Dragon Age and skipped the second game, is Inquisition on the PC worth it?

Should probably mention a cut-off date of about 1997, I don't see myself playing any DOS RPGs.

As for KOTOR, I gave it a try last year, but the control scheme and combat seemed really awkward. I'll give it another chance.

e: played Jade Empire, kickstarted the new Torment game. Come to think, I've played entirely too many games

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Wasteland 2? Arx fatalis? Wizardry 8?

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 8, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you like South Park the Order of the Stick was pretty fun.

Seconding Order of the Stick, it was much, much better than I could have hoped. Really good and diverse.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phlegmish posted:

I've played the first Dragon Age and skipped the second game, is Inquisition on the PC worth it?

Inquisition is pretty good, but it's only on Origin, has an annoying method of save-importation, and suffers from EA/Bioware's insistence on putting neat story beats behind dlc.

Also has possibly the worst companion in any game they've done, but thankfully you can tell her to gently caress right off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Phlegmish posted:

I have yet to play Mass Effect 3, but I'm waiting until it gets on Steam (probably never). I've played the first Dragon Age and skipped the second game, is Inquisition on the PC worth it?

You'll never, ever play those if you're waiting for them on steam. Unless you're really against having a second client though, Origin works just as well as steam, has better customer support, and EA even seem to be coming around to the idea of sales a little so if you wait for a holiday or something you can probably pick them up at more reasonable prices (I just checked and they look pretty cheap at regular prices now too).

As for whether Inquisition is worth it, I think it's every bit as good as the first. It's less real-time-with-pause the way the first was, but unlike 2 it doesn't poo poo the bed in the gameplay transition. As long as you're prepared for a third person action-rpg it's totally worth your time.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 8, 2017

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Have you played Darklands? It's pretty ancient but it's an awesome history-oriented CRPG.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Dragon Age 2 overall despite the lovely aspects, but I'd say Inquisition is a better game.

Also as thread tradition dictates, no RPG discussion should go by without mention of Alpha Protocol.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
My brother is looking for some more games to get his wife for her steam account, but they're having a hard time finding games. She has a top-of-the-line machine, for reference. She like playing co-op games with my brother, and her two current favorite games are Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. She tried Factorio but she doesn't seem to like it as much as Don't Starve. My brother also got her the Borderlands franchise but they haven't gotten around to playing it. Any suggestions would be welcome!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I'm on a multiplayer survival game kick again, but I remembered how buggy and janky Rust was (and still is) after about an hour of playing. I played a bit of The Forest and liked how visceral building was, but the lack of large scale multiplayer made me bored with it and I didn't like having to babysit 50 different hunger meeters and making sure I was eating enough fiber to poop at the correct intervals.

Things I like:

- Base building
- Exploring
- Collecting bear asses to upgrade my Stick of Stabiness to a +1 Stick of Flaming Stabiness
- Base building
- Not getting headshotted from across the map by hyperspergs that spend every waking moment playing
- Not having to log in every single day to tend crops / repair walls that somehow started falling about in 12 hours / remind the game I still love it
- Base building
- Getting the balcony off my master bedroom juuuuuust right
- Being able to carve out a little slice of the world as mine without worrying that it will be gone if I log out for more than 3 hours (this actually happened in Rust. It was just over 3 hours).
- Base building
- Coming up with clever / funny / Rube Goldbergesque death traps
- Being a sneaky bastard
- Complex building mechanics
- Servers that stick around for a while
- Games where solo-play is reasonably doable (I have no IRL friends that play video games :( )
- Some sort of planning mode or being able to fix misclicks without hitting a wall with a pickaxe for 3 hours

I don't mind someone finding a weakness in my defenses and making off with all my bear asses while I'm not looking. I mind when 20 people with nothing better to do wall me in and render my entire fortress of doom uninhabitable because their idea of fun is "nobody else gets to have any."

Maybe I should go back to Minecraft. :sigh:

I haven't played it myself, but other people in this thread have had good things to say about 7 Days to Die.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Probottt posted:

My brother is looking for some more games to get his wife for her steam account, but they're having a hard time finding games. She has a top-of-the-line machine, for reference. She like playing co-op games with my brother, and her two current favorite games are Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. She tried Factorio but she doesn't seem to like it as much as Don't Starve. My brother also got her the Borderlands franchise but they haven't gotten around to playing it. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Like Left4Dead -> Sven Co-op (larger groups are better than just 2-man, but FREE, and the community is still active)
Like Don't Starve -> 7 Days to Die

Terraria (cheap) and The Division (v. expensive, esp including Survival DLC which is very good) both get hugely better when you have a partner, too.
Viscera Cleanup Detail is about 10x better than it looks (though if she's not so much on factorio, maybe skip this one)

If you like working together against players online, HAWKEN and Guns Of Icarus are both fantastic.

Edit: I can't stop recommending 7 Days To Die. If you like any two of [Survival + Exploration] [Minecraft-like] [Tower Defense] [Build a pretty house] then it's an A+ recommend in my book.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 9, 2017

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I'd actually suggest The Forest over 7DTD, mostly because it's a much more complete game that isn't in alpha nor is it plagued by stupid balance issues the devs seem to think the game needs. If you're dead-set on playing the latter, look into ValMod, it adds a lot of good features and removes some of the devs ridiculous grindy choices. As for other bashing games like L4D2, DEFINITELY check out Dying Light (open-world zombie fighting/parkour game) or Warhammer End Times: Vermintide (Warhammer version of L4D2 where you're bashing rats instead of zombies).

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It blows my mind that Sven Coop is still a thing. I was playing that, like.... 18 years ago?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Backhand posted:

It blows my mind that Sven Coop is still a thing. I was playing that, like.... 18 years ago?

:same:

I've been getting back into map-making, and while I was testrunning a 1/4 completed map with my brother, I had three random players join my game. Which meant they saw some random rear end in a top hat with some random rear end in a top hat map with a garbage ping and downloaded my map long enough to get in. :psyduck: / :3:

E: Not only is it still a thing, they're still putting out updates for it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Probottt posted:

Overcooked

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've played Alpha Protocol twice! Good suggestion, though.

I've settled on giving KOTOR another chance. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and the control scheme really turned me off last time, but it keeps coming up so it must be worth another shot.

Probottt posted:

You didn't mention any RPGs, but if they are into that genre at all, the obvious suggestion is Divinity: Original Sin. The sequel is coming out this year and is shaping up to be good as well. You play as a pair of Source Hunters, so they can simulate their marital bickering.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
KOTOR has that control scheme where you hold down RMB to turn the camera around and can then push LMB to move forwards, right? I remember I found the controls weird at first too, but once I realized I can just leisurely run around and do stuff without even touching the keyboard I started loving it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It does have the benefit that you can click on something interactable in the distance and your character will beeline towards it on their own. Over all kotor has a kinda wonky control scheme on the pc compared to the console version, but at least you can mod it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the best cyberpunk game right now? I already have the shadowrun ones.

I want a game to help me wait for the cdpr one.

thanks!

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack lately. What are some other good co-op/vs. puzzle games we can play together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

What is the best cyberpunk game right now? I already have the shadowrun ones.

I want a game to help me wait for the cdpr one.

thanks!
Deus Ex 1 always and forever