Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress that. Hook them up and crank that poo poo.

Right? I break speakers in with rammstein.

Adiabatic posted:

that's "Adiabatic, EIT" to you lot.

Grats dude! also talk nerdy to me :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

Sitting for the PE in October. Starting the studying today.

Nice. I've been toying with the idea of getting a PE just so I can feel superior to everyone else who calls themselves Software Engineers. Need to look up the requirements in New York and figure out if I can still do that there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wait, what? You need to break speakers in??

You don't need to, and honestly I can't tell the difference in car speakers over time, for quality home speakers you usually can.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Safety Dance posted:

edit: oh yeah. My fuckin tooth fell out last night.

Fortunately just a temporary crown, but it was suuuper disconcerting feeling that pop loose. Happily the dentist glued it back in this afternoon.

Been there, done that. Except it was a permanent crown.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had a handful of these vials kickin' around, and my dentist was super impressed when I handed one to him with my crown inside suspended in mouthwash.
https://www.sciplus.com/p/PLASTIC-SCREWCAP-VIALS_56440

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Eh, I was told to set the amplifier up for the speakers, then drive around with them playing at a moderate level for a day or two (No higher than half volume), then go nuts if I want. I figured 2 hours of constant driving was good enough to simulate a day of driving. Brb, checking out rammstein with current setup.

Edit: can confirm, rammstein sounds good.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 8, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How the hell does someone break in a speaker and why exactly would you do it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Safety Dance posted:

Nice dude. How long until you become legally responsible for signing off on a drawing that winds up killing someone?

edit: oh yeah. My fuckin tooth fell out last night.

Fortunately just a temporary crown, but it was suuuper disconcerting feeling that pop loose. Happily the dentist glued it back in this afternoon.
You should be thankful that you noticed it and was able to spit it out. I once broke a tooth eating a granola bar, and didn't realize until I swallowed. Yucko.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Safety Dance posted:

Nice. I've been toying with the idea of getting a PE just so I can feel superior to everyone else who calls themselves Software Engineers. Need to look up the requirements in New York and figure out if I can still do that there.

gently caress yeah do it. You need the FE if you haven't done that first

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
hahaha holy poo poo I just got a call saying I'm back on the 5 year project. Just gotta bust my rear end for a while to show them I mean business.

WHAT IS SOCIAL LIFE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coredump posted:

Thanks for all those. Yeah none of those videos really have the constant eeeee type drone these bugs are putting out. Seriously if that's what I listening to outside my window I think I would be better able to deal. The bastard of the situation is as loud as the sounds are to my ears my phone's microphone doesn't pick them up so well. But next time I'm laying in bed cursing my existence I'll try to record a sample of them.

When they really get going, it can be a constant drone, with a little warble.

edit: like this, but he didn't really capture the volume of it, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwC6nTDU2U

edit 2:
This is more what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUPtFS9aVg8

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2017

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There are a bunch of different "methods" out there but it all comes back to audiophiles being idiots. Hope that helps :tipshat:

e: nice work Adiabatic

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You know the rubber or foam surround on speakers? Getting that to move easier.

edit: Fuel for the fire http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

quote:

Below is a summary of the changes in driver compliance during the burn in process. Changes can be seen in Fs, Vas, and Qts parameters so those are all that are shown to minimize redundancy.

There are several things to note. As a woofer goes through the burn in process the Fs will drop, Vas parameters will increase, and Qts parameters will decrease. Vas will tend to have a small amount of variance between measurements and will bounce around a little in some cases but it will generally and always increase in value.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 8, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, I run as my headphones I buy overnight at a moderate volume with some music on loop. I started doing it to "break them in," but now it's more of a "driver glue test" to see if they'll break, so I can return them within the return window.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
my Professor at school owns a pair of mint XJSes and is entering a car show on campus in may. He suggested i join him. I responded with what? My piece of poo poo farm truck? Him: YES. I'm not even gonna wash the fucker. Just throw the rear end in a top hat on the back and enter it as is.

Dudes ai as gently caress to own two XJSes. one being a track-rat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Would owning two E-types be more AI?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coredump posted:

You know the rubber or foam surround on speakers? Getting that to move easier.

edit: Fuel for the fire http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

My eyes glazed over attempting to read the "proof" - I didnt understand a word of it or why any of that leads to... well..... anything? In laymans terms what was that all supposed to mean?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaker drivers are still mechanical devices and the suspension on them can be stiff after being sat in storage for x months.

My nice headphones honestly sounded poo poo right out of the box to the point I was going to send them back. An hour or so with pink noise at a decent volume and they loosened up nicely. I will forever bag on audiophools but this is a thing that actually works.

If I were to break in the drivers that are in my PA subs inside the cabinets, I'd have like 11 ASBOs because those fuckers are loud.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaker drivers are still mechanical devices and the suspension on them can be stiff after being sat in storage for x months.

My nice headphones honestly sounded poo poo right out of the box to the point I was going to send them back. An hour or so with pink noise at a decent volume and they loosened up nicely. I will forever bag on audiophools but this is a thing that actually works.

If I were to break in the drivers that are in my PA subs inside the cabinets, I'd have like 11 ASBOs because those fuckers are loud.

Drivers with more excursion will show break-in behavior, too. Larger surrounds and spiders do loosen up when they start to work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Safety Dance posted:

Would owning two E-types be more AI?

No, because it would be the more sensible option over owning two XJ-Ses

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Nice amigo.

Wife finished her PGeo last year. Was a pain, but she's a loving professional now.

I'm still just an IT bitch, but, new job and happy, so :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

:hf:

Eats It, Too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Sitting for the PE in October. Starting the studying today.

Good loving luck. I took the EIT ~10 years ago and it was miserable, but I passed. The PE sounds even worse. Luckily it isn't really used in what I do and where I want my career to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Ugh. Constipation sucks, but the opposite is worse. Dunno what I ate, but it wasn't worth this.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Coredump posted:

Thanks for all those. Yeah none of those videos really have the constant eeeee type drone these bugs are putting out. Seriously if that's what I listening to outside my window I think I would be better able to deal. The bastard of the situation is as loud as the sounds are to my ears my phone's microphone doesn't pick them up so well. But next time I'm laying in bed cursing my existence I'll try to record a sample of them.

I always loved https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE-_kNWJXNw&t=1320s

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Ugh. Constipation sucks, but the opposite is worse. Dunno what I ate, but it wasn't worth this.

Nothing like ~da shitz~ to take it out of someone.

They have one of those cheap-rear end Starbucks coffee machines at work that brews one cup at a time by grinding it and pressing it through what appears to be a toilet paper roll of coffee filter. I'm certain it hasn't been cleaned since the second Bush administration, and I've decided I'm bringing my own coffee in from now on and french pressing it, time be damned. There's only so much a person's stomach can take of horrible, gross coffee.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
Never drink office coffee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

It just depends! When I worked for the chocolate place the coffee in the break room was gourmet poo poo at all times. People used steal the bags because it was so drat good.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno sauce arrived today. Wings are currently cooking... can't wait!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BraveUlysses posted:

the setup i've got going at our place is p sweet

$40 for a broken Gaggia that I rebuilt on the bench here, and the Mazzer is on long-term loan from the local coffee roaster while they move premises

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 9, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A8W77m-ZTw

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BraveUlysses posted:

That's what the bottle of Bailey's in your desk drawer is for.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
loving hell, the last time I was in the office, we didn't even have fresh milk for our coffee.

Or sugar.

Or spoons.

Or, indeed, coffee.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

loving hell, the last time I was in the office, we didn't even have fresh milk for our coffee.

Or sugar.

Or spoons.

Or, indeed, coffee.

See, Bailey's would've solved all your problems in one fell swoop. Or any whisky cream really.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

* Looks at 3 grand coffee machine and bags of freshly roasted beans sealed in foil bag*

Aussies really can be as smug as poo poo about the rampant coffee culture that made sure the swill like Nescafe was permantly removed from offices. I'm no coffee drinker but I *still* dont understand how the USA puts up with the poo poo passing as coffee there. We certainly dont, Starbucks keeps going broke or reliant of idiot tourists.

Actually I dont understand how Australians got to have a Italian-like coffee culture in the first place. I guess coffee drinkers cant complain, your office doesn't have decent coffee? Go outside, throw a stone and pick one of the three coffee places it landed near.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

Rhyno sauce arrived today. Wings are currently cooking... can't wait!

I get so nervous every time somebody posts that they're about to try it!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For the full effect open the link in several tabs. :v:

The cicadas always remind me of my first days in Japan so they're cool with me, screech on you misproportioned little weirdos.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

RillAkBea posted:

For the full effect open the link in several tabs. :v:

The cicadas always remind me of my first days in Japan so they're cool with me, screech on you misproportioned little weirdos.

reeoo reeoo reeoo reeoo reeoo reeoo :)

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 9, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Put some of Rhyno's hot sauce on Korean pork tacos tonight.... drat it's good. I really like it, has a good heat level and flavor and won't last long around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

Put some of Rhyno's hot sauce on Korean pork tacos tonight.... drat it's good. I really like it, has a good heat level and flavor and won't last long around here.

:D

• Locked thread