Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Was travelling today, so here's a MEGA post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always wondered how Catholics were taking the current Pope. Opinion seems surprisingly diverse.

My Northern side of the family loves Francis. Even my uncle, an atheist, is a fan of him. Some of my Southern family is at least nice evangelical, but my half-brother is fundamentalist preacher that's fine with blacks and Muslims all being exterminated.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The American right-wing have been bootlickers as long as I've been alive, they absolutely do not care about lives, only the bottom line for their donors.

Episode 58: We Live In The Zone is the best starting point. Lots of mea culpas about loving up the predictions with a mix of "we should have known better" and "here's what went wrong" and "here's where we go now." It also opens with the best joke in the whole run of the show so far.

What I think is ruining things, at least for Catholics that should know better, is the way they're controlling with the pro-life movement. It's always the first thing to be in defense of the outright fascism the Republicans are installing.

No man ever has a right to tell a woman what to do with her body, especially the government. Also, no one has the right to say they're pro-life when they're just fine with out of control gun use, unnecessary wars, the death penalty, etc. Besides, most of the laws either extant or they're trying to pass are specifically targeted to hurt women, rather than achieve anything constructive.

Downloading Chapo #58 now...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should stop by the Liturgical Christianity thread in A/T. It's only a forums thread but I think you'd enjoy the community there.

Might do that.

I'm basically not fond of organized religion, but I try to live somewhat with a Catholic philosophy.

CPL593H posted:

The last thing we need is more a new crop of moralizing Christians in control of everything. Progressive or not, gently caress that poo poo. I'm not entirely convinced that most people who subscribe to organized religions can be truly progressive.

And this is a big reason why. Christians whose sense of right in wrong is inspired by "Because the sky man said so" are loving creepy and often it seems less like they care about other people and more like they're selfishly protecting themselves from whatever divine retribution they believe is coming.

The idiotic thing about the "Well, it says in the Bible..." is that there's so many conflicting passages or stuff that can be perceived completely out of context. That's one reason why the real danger is in these fundamentalist churches where someone can just make it up as they go. Worse, you could go from just what Jesus says in the Gospels and 90% of what modern fundamentalist harp on about is contrary to THAT. It's even more idiotic that you hear more about Genesis and Revelations rather than the stuff that actually matters.

What really gets my blood boiling is the bullshit "prosperity gospel" idea, which is why you have stadium-sized churches with pastors wearing $1000 suits and this heretical worship of the wealthy. That's why I think there's so much love for Trump, because they can overlook all the horrible things he's done in his life, but think he's a success because he's wealthy. Meanwhile, you have someone like Bill Gates, an atheist, spending literally billions to eradicate disease and help people around the world.

The irony is that the people who are resisting this movement are often non-believers that in practice are better Christians than actual Christians.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wow I haven't had avatars turned on in like a year. Who the gently caress are you people?

Characture of Frank Tashlin and Daffy Duck from Nasty Quacks, one of the best Looney Tunes ever made.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Warren also confirmed Ben loving Carson as Head of Housing and Urban Development, that alone could tank her. Gillibrand only confirmed Haley, who was also confirmed by Sanders, so she could have a chance.

What's ridiculous about Carson is that he's actually an intelligent, qualified person (regardless of his lesser idiocies like running for President) and he was put in charge of HUD! If it were HHS, I honestly wouldn't have had much of an issue since that actually makes logical sense to put someone with a medical background in charge of health stuff. Hell, he would have even been a reasonable choice for Dept. of Education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had the impression for some reason that Francis was somewhat more popular with non-Catholics than Catholics.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wow I haven't had avatars turned on in like a year. Who the gently caress are you people?

It's been nearly two years, and I still don't know who the character in my avatar is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's Oyster

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My state's legislature has just had a bill introduced that would take away minimum wage increases in cities across the state and prevent localities from ever increasing minimum wage above the state minimum wage (the state minimum wage is still 7.25) because apparently local control only extends as far as it can be used to gently caress poor people. The minimum just got raised to 10.10 on January 1st and it's possible that wage might not last more than 6 months before it gets bumped down to lower than it was *7 years ago* when I got my first retail job.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

What's ridiculous about Carson is that he's actually an intelligent, qualified person (regardless of his lesser idiocies like running for President) and he was put in charge of HUD! If it were HHS, I honestly wouldn't have had much of an issue since that actually makes logical sense to put someone with a medical background in charge of health stuff. Hell, he would have even been a reasonable choice for Dept. of Education.

Ben Carson thinks the Pyramids are hollow and were used to store grain. I wouldn't trust him to make me a sandwich.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Egbert Souse posted:

Hell, he would have even been a reasonable choice for Dept. of Education.

Isn't he a bugfuck nuts creationist? He certainly didn't come off as an intelligent and thoughtful person the last time he ran for office. Just cause he is good at brain surgery doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

edit: I forgot all about the pyramids, lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ben Carson thinks the Pyramids are hollow and were used to store grain. I wouldn't trust him to make me a sandwich.

married but discreet posted:

Isn't he a bugfuck nuts creationist? He certainly didn't come off as an intelligent and thoughtful person the last time he ran for office. Just cause he is good at brain surgery doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

edit: I forgot all about the pyramids, lol

Yeah, I forgot about that. But I meant in a general sense. A neurosurgeon would be a reasonable choice for HHS. It's either sad or hilarious that Carson is probably the most qualified out of the whole cabinet, which says a lot about the picks in general.

Why someone would be brilliant at something like brain surgery, yet be unbelievably stupid in other areas is beyond my comprehension.

edit: Also, I really hope Rosie O'Donnell does get to play Steve Bannon on SNL.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 9, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Its more common than you think.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actually I am not Spartacus but a gunpenis or penisgun whichever you prefer.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

I had the impression for some reason that Francis was somewhat more popular with non-Catholics than Catholics.

Im down with St Francis

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Its more common than you think.

Yeah, most people aren't even very good at one thing. Not much of a stretch from there to suppose that some are very good at one thing and suck at everything else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Isn't it in a Sherlock Holmes story that he contests something basic about astrophysics and gets called out by Watson? (Or was that just something Sherlock did)

Also, Sean Spicer can gently caress off for naming Atlanta TWICE as a victim of terrorist attacks. Both of which (the 1950s Temple bombing and the Olympic Park bombing) were from whites.

Also, also, this Chapo Trap House is good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
HOLY poo poo NETFLIX IS DOING A CASTLEVANIA SERIES

Written by Warren loving Ellis, no less

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know about that, but I know the religious right hates him.

I remember when he posted in BSS about that Castlevania movie he wrote a script for.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I guarantee you they dunk on Spicer and think he's an rear end in a top hat. There's no way any of them respect him.

Trump is a dummy who surrounds himself with morons so he can feel smart. No way he's not constantly bagging on everyone around him for anything he even slightly perceives as dumb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I remember when he posted in BSS about that Castlevania movie he wrote a script for.

Yeah he and Adi Shankar have been trying to get this off the ground for years, I'm pretty sure I first heard rumblings of a Warren Ellis Castlevania thing like a decade ago

Honestly that's a good sign for it, I'd say, you don't try this hard to get something made unless you seriously give a gently caress about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll believe it when it's finally on Netflix.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what movie trend should make a comeback? Bad Terminator knock offs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chapo Trap House is good poo poo.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I made a short parody with my cousins years ago (around 2001) called The Tromboninator. Cyborg went around vaporizing people with a trombone. It was on YouTube, but they took it down (and my entire channel) over copyright stuff.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 9, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You should reupload it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GoHzmS1jNo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah he and Adi Shankar have been trying to get this off the ground for years, I'm pretty sure I first heard rumblings of a Warren Ellis Castlevania thing like a decade ago

Honestly that's a good sign for it, I'd say, you don't try this hard to get something made unless you seriously give a gently caress about it

I remember he said the Belmont in his script had a sword instead of a whip, so the show's already got -1 stars from me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Egbert Souse posted:

Isn't it in a Sherlock Holmes story that he contests something basic about astrophysics and gets called out by Watson? (Or was that just something Sherlock did)

Sherlock Holmes cares only for disciplines and knowledge that are directly related to solving crimes in London. He could give you a dissertation on the composition and textures of different clays from around the city because that aids him in analyzing footprints but he wouldn't know poo poo about the moons of Jupiter or whatever.

Because of characters like Doc Savage and Batman we imagine Holmes similarly knows everything about everything but he actively avoids learning about stuff outside his realm of interest because it might crowd out knowledge useful to his crime solving. If he were on Jeopardy or if he played Trivial Pursuit he would bomb hard. He is extremely single-minded.

So that's a long-winded way of saying that he's very intelligent and an expert in some things but if you asked him to head up a national public office for housing and urban development he would tell you he knows nothing about that and that he's the wrong man for the job.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

The very first story has Watson being astounded by the fact that Holmes doesn't know the Earth revolves around the sun. Holmes retorts by claiming that he doesn't bother learning any facts which aren't directly related to criminal investigations. Doyle dropped that aspect of the character later on and just made him an all-around well-educated guy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually think it's likely that Trump supporters are also a minority; he won with only about 25% of eligible voters. Again, the issue is that the democrats couldn't motivate enough people to get out and vote against him. Which is also why I think it's a better idea to try and get the people who didn't vote to come out instead of trying to win over republicans.

Hillary won the popular vote, she could have actually won the loving Presidency if she lifted a finger in Michigan and Wisconsin and had a campaign strategy beyond "I'll do and say whatever it takes to get elected."

plz dont pull out posted:

Yeah I'd probably think Green Room was about cannibalism or zombies based on that poster.

CelticPredator posted:

Uh, this does not happen in the film. I mean, not as it seems.

See I saw that and went "HELL YEAH" because I love just about anything with the Bars because I'm a loving dweeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU

Egbert Souse posted:

Chapo Trap House is good poo poo.

:getin: now go Premium and learn about Caleb

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

You should reupload it.

It'll get taken down again. The problem is that I edited in VideoWave (lol), so all I have is an edited 320x240 file with copyrighted music (mostly used the score from North by Northwest).

I've wanted to retransfer all my MiniDV stuff (also most of my college films), but the decks are expensive. I was able to reconstruct one of my college films only because I kept the 480i capture AVIs on a drive.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I remember he said the Belmont in his script had a sword instead of a whip, so the show's already got -1 stars from me.
What the gently caress? No deal. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure the only reason Ben Carson is Secretary of HUD is because he's Black and it has the word Urban in the title.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Safety Factor posted:

What the gently caress? No deal. :colbert:

It's based on CV3: Dracula's Curse, in which the protagonist is Trevor Belmont, ancestor of Simon Belmont. If it were Simon not using the Vampire Killer, that'd be hosed, but I don't really care if other Belmonts don't have it; hell, we might end up seeing the origin of the thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Trevor has always had a whip. The only Belmont who didn't have a whip was Leon, and that game was the (really terrible) origin story of the entire saga.

E: The original JP artwork of Trevor.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 9, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So, Rob Zombie's idea for his version of Halloween III is an "Italian mockbuster" version of The Hunger Games/The Purge.

I dig it. Add this to list of "better than" versions of Suicide Squad.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I am about to play trivia in a bar. What should my team name be?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

The Belmont Clan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

So, Rob Zombie's idea for his version of Halloween III is an "Italian mockbuster" version of The Hunger Games/The Purge.

I dig it. Add this to list of "better than" versions of Suicide Squad.

That basically just sounds like 31. Which was okay.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

married but discreet posted:

Just cause he is good at brain surgery doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

From what I understand, from people in neurosurgery and people who have worked with him, is that he's also not a very good surgeon While people talk about the operations he's performed as being extremely demanding, nodding ever really talks about his outcomes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Trevor has always had a whip. The only Belmont who didn't have a whip was Leon, and that game was the (really terrible) origin story of the entire saga.

E: The original JP artwork of Trevor.

Never said he didn't have a whip, just said it doesn't matter as much for Not Simon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Budgie Jumping posted:

PSYCHOMANIA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Never said he didn't have a whip, just said it doesn't matter as much for Not Simon.

Of course it matters, it means I'm gonna be watching a show without a guy whipping monsters and vamps to death.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Budgie Jumping posted:

Michael Bay of Pigs

Baron von Eevl posted:

From what I understand, from people in neurosurgery and people who have worked with him, is that he's also not a very good surgeon While people talk about the operations he's performed as being extremely demanding, nodding ever really talks about his outcomes.

That's kind of pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

Los Guapos Chicos

• Locked thread