Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Anyone happen to know if armor appearances are shared with different save slots? I missed the knights helmet from the first area and was wondering if I could start a new character and grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

A magical cat with two tails and a sword guard for an eyepatch taught him Japanese in an instant

Is that not how it's normally done?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This game is fun as heck although I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by those Yoki things whenever I encounter one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm still not confident fighting Yokai, though I haven't died to one since the demo. Dark Souls never really throws anything that dangerous at you that early, much less make them mandatory to progress. A little experience teaches that they're quite easy to dodge, though.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

In the spider level do the fragments do anything other than give you a trophy for collecting them all?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
of course amazon screws up and sends me invalid preorder codes.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phoix posted:

In the spider level do the fragments do anything other than give you a trophy for collecting them all?

I assume we can eventually forge them into a weapon or something but I'm still figuring that out myself

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I figured you needed all of them to enter the teahouse

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Calidus posted:

of course amazon screws up and sends me invalid preorder codes.

Contact support, they're usually good about things like that.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm at the torch behind the Yokai portal in The Ocean Roars Again. I got here by jumping down from the roof but I can't find any pathway to get the gently caress out of here...any ideas?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The preorder codes were only from certain retailers right? I didn't realize that was a thing and just went to my local GamePlace.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm at the torch behind the Yokai portal in The Ocean Roars Again. I got here by jumping down from the roof but I can't find any pathway to get the gently caress out of here...any ideas?

Worst case you can use your Harikari sword to teleport back to shrine (but lose amrita), use Himorogi Fragment to leave the level (but lose amrita) or use Travel Amulet to return to shrine and keep amrita.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Nigulus Rex posted:

There's a paper seal on one of the walls separating you from the early part of the level. If you interact with it the wall will go away. It can be a little hard to notice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The preorder codes were only from certain retailers right? I didn't realize that was a thing and just went to my local GamePlace.

Its just a couple sets of armor, and if you kill revenants wearing them, you can steal the armor. The only thing you won't get is the ability to craft the armor yourself. There's plenty of armor in this game though, so no biggie.

But they were pre-order codes in general but I don't know if all places like, hooked you up or whatever. I got it on PSN digital so it was just an included bonus.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Zhulik posted:

There's a paper seal on one of the walls separating you from the early part of the level. If you interact with it the wall will go away. It can be a little hard to notice.

drat, thanks. I ended up falling into the water anyways and just recalled my spirit bro.

Which shrine on this level is faster to run to the boss? I'm using the 2nd shrine and it's maybe 30 seconds but I was wondering if the first was closer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh man once you get the teahouse you can buy stuff with glory, just like I figured.

You can buy ochokos or crafting materials or a few consumables. Very nice!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm guessing when people say you can't Co-op until you have beat a level they mean you can't do it with friends until you beat a level? Or do they actually mean you can't co op at all except on replays? I'm confused.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm guessing when people say you can't Co-op until you have beat a level they mean you can't do it with friends until you beat a level? Or do they actually mean you can't co op at all except on replays? I'm confused.

You cannot do the party mode for a level unless both players have beaten the level.

You can always summon phantoms.

You cannot be a phantom unless you've beaten the level you're going to be a phantom in.

This is regardless of friends or not. You can do party mode with randoms or you can do phantom mode with randoms, or either with friends, but both have those restrictions above.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the most useful early-game onmyo spells? I've got a few points I might as well spend.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

What are the most useful early-game onmyo spells? I've got a few points I might as well spend.

The one where you summon your guardian spirit is very good. The effect varies based on what your guardian spirit it. I've used the bull (rush forward for decent damage) and the green bird (less damage but knocks humans enemies down, and lets you do a finishing move on them).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Umi-bozu can eat my loving rear end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Yodzilla posted:

Umi-bozu can eat my loving rear end.

Use fire :supaburn:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Emalde posted:

Yeah I did but I kept getting caught in his one-hit kill attack, mostly after a boat spit. He can also do it instantly as soon as you walk through the door and he has ANOTHER one-hit kill attack when he's in the middle and spreads out. It suuuuucks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Emalde posted:

A giant blob monster that's weak to fire, in a game with similar gameplay aspects to Demon's/Dark Souls.

Hmm..

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do future Guardian Spirits need more points in Spirit for their bonuses? If they don't there's really no reason to go beyond the first ten or whatever in Spirit right? Spirit mode is nice but it's such a small part of the game I can't imagine extra points are better value than any other stat.

Right now I'm just dumping everything into Heart because it seems like it does everything. Health, ki, and damage if you use a sword.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Genocyber posted:

The one where you summon your guardian spirit is very good. The effect varies based on what your guardian spirit it. I've used the bull (rush forward for decent damage) and the green bird (less damage but knocks humans enemies down, and lets you do a finishing move on them).

I'm pretty sure you can't slot that one unless you spend points on magic or capacity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I did but I kept getting caught in his one-hit kill attack, mostly after a boat spit. He can also do it instantly as soon as you walk through the door and he has ANOTHER one-hit kill attack when he's in the middle and spreads out. It suuuuucks.

Just run around back and forth in the middle. He can't track you well if you're moving fast. Easier to run back and forth than to time a dodge. Once you get that, he's easy.

fadam posted:

Do future Guardian Spirits need more points in Spirit for their bonuses? If they don't there's really no reason to go beyond the first ten or whatever in Spirit right? Spirit mode is nice but it's such a small part of the game I can't imagine extra points are better value than any other stat.

Right now I'm just dumping everything into Heart because it seems like it does everything. Health, ki, and damage if you use a sword.

Yeah, people were asking before and some guardian spirits require as high as 23 to unlock the last trait.

But also spirit benefits your living weapon and your pokemon summon attack, so there's other uses. Plus weapons can roll Spirit as a scaling attribute.

Living weapons aren't exactly a tiny part of the game, if you really abuse them you can clown bosses in seconds. You can do other stuff, but its a pretty rewarding stat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

Just run around back and forth in the middle. He can't track you well if you're moving fast. Easier to run back and forth than to time a dodge. Once you get that, he's easy.

Oh he's well dead. I just wanted everyone to know he can eat my rear end.

Question: am I blind or is the spear ability where you leap over an enemy and attack from above gone?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Oh he's well dead. I just wanted everyone to know he can eat my rear end.

Question: am I blind or is the spear ability where you leap over an enemy and attack from above gone?

Its still there but you gotta get to like act 3 before you can do the prereq dojo mission.

Its Flying Monkey II. You're blind :)

GJ beating Umibozu. That lazer is indeed a dick move.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

A giant blob monster that's weak to fire, in a game with similar gameplay aspects to Demon's/Dark Souls.

Hmm..

But did you guys notice that Demon's/Dark Souls uses a combat system where you can equip various different kind of weapons, and each of those weapons has different statistics. Like some are faster or stronger than others, and some do some sort of element based damage. That kind of gameplay seems really similar to Team Ninja's 2004 "Ninja Gaiden".

Really makes you think...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mods please change my name

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Grab the magic capacity passive at the very bottom, the passive that gives +100 vs Yokai Realm, an elemental buff that's different from your preferred Guardian Spirit, then grab the two spells at the very top left. The first is a pre-req for the (more useful, imo) second: a spell that lowers the enemy's defense. It has a bit of a wind up but stacking it, power pills, and an elemental buff is how you turn a lion of an encounter into a kitten. I wish ninjutsu buffs lasted a little longer, but I suspect that's tied to the Ninjitsu Power stat.

e: You want to grab a different elemental buff spell than your GS so you can proc an element then unleash the GS and proc another, triggering the Chaos debuff and really destabilizing the target. You get a trophy the first time you do this, too.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Last dumb question but probably not really: has anyone successfully landed a sneak attack back stab? Every time I walk up behind someone unawares and press triangle I just do a regular hard attack instead of the canned animation.

And yeah I have the skill purchased.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Last dumb question but probably not really: has anyone successfully landed a sneak attack back stab? Every time I walk up behind someone unawares and press triangle I just do a regular hard attack instead of the canned animation.

And yeah I have the skill purchased.

The lock-on symbol should turn red, and you gotta get real close to them. It can be hard to sneak up on lots of guys without the catwalking spell or whatever that makes you silent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also don't have to be behind them necessarily, you can approach from any direction, even the front if you have the ninja skill that renders you invisible. Though it is a bit silly to toss a ninja smoke bomb right in an enemy's face and then do a sneak attack.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Argh I didn't think to try and lock on first. Okay I'll look out for that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

The one that lets you detect everything on your minimap is loving ace.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You also don't have to be behind them necessarily, you can approach from any direction, even the front if you have the ninja skill that renders you invisible. Though it is a bit silly to toss a ninja smoke bomb right in an enemy's face and then do a sneak attack.

That's the opposite of silly. Its loving sweet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help I can't stop refashioning my equipment until it all matches. I will have the handsomest weeaboo in all the land, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

quote:

“You cannot co-op through the entire game because that would make it too easy for players to beat the game,” said Tom Lee, creative director at Team Ninja in an emailed statement. “We want players to experience Nioh in how it was intended to be. We allowed players to co-op anytime in the last trial demo only because of the limited stages and time to try out the demo.”

http://kotaku.com/nioh-devs-say-they-changed-co-op-so-it-wouldnt-be-too-e-1792142225

"We want players to experience getting carried super hard by other people" is all I hear