Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spacebump posted:

Once again, Stephen Curry has found himself in the middle of a political issue. Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank, in an interview with CNBC, said President Donald Trump is an “asset” to the country.

“I agree with that description,” Curry said, “if you remove the ‘et’” from asset.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/08/stephen-curry-respond-to-trump-love-from-under-amours-ceo/
Lol

Well it's good to see he has a spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

chilihead posted:

I don't follow the NBA like you guys so i need a favor. How in the hell do the Celtics have back to back unprotected picks from the worst team in the league? I thought all the funny business that happened in the 70's/80's made them change the rules so this could not happen!
Also i wanted to get in early and predict the Lakers win the lottery. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

2017 pick is a swap so Nets were okay to trade the 2018 pick.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
is that rainman right hand man of the russian dude still running the Nets? or did he disappear after writing that we lost 150m email?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were quite good but the Kobe/Pau teams don't really stand up to that kind of argument like his dynasty Bulls/Lakers do.

If the 2008 Celtics didn't form a superteam there's a very good chance the Lakers would've done another threepeat from 08 to 10. Pau Gasol is so underrated it's hilarious. He was an MVP candidate while Lakers fans were insulting him as being soft.

Niwrad posted:

I just think it's dumb that fans buy tickets and miss out on seeing Cousins because he complained too many times to the refs.

If he does start assaulting enemy coaches it might be a big thing. Although maybe you'd like to see him attack the Bulls assistant/associate coaches.

xbilkis posted:

This team is run by loving lunatics

They don't care about winning and will continue to rake in huge amounts of cash. The actual owner has worked with the media to set up the FO/coaches/players as the villains. The actual value of the franchise goes up by a large percentage every year. The Bulls also continue to have the best attendance in the whole league.

I shudder to think how much this franchise would sell for if it was on the market. And let's not forget that while everyone has been laughing at NYK/LAL for many years their franchise valuations are #1 and #2 of the thirty teams and are skyrocketing in the midst of mediocrity.

It'd be very interesting to see what would happen if franchise value was tied to team performance. I have a feeling GarPax might disappear overnight.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not shocked.

zoux posted:

Is Infor a big company? A lot of lovely startups with a lot of cash drop it on big sports ad buys, if any of yall remember what superbowls were like in the dot com era. Or how half the stadia in the country are named after companies you've never heard of. Guaranteed Rate Field! Rolls right off the tongue!

Seems pretty big and it's been around fifteen years. It's private so not all of the financial info is easily found.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://theundefeated.com/features/inside-collis-temples-historic-struggle-as-lsus-first-black-basketball-player/

Article about Garrett Temple's dad's experience as LSU's first black basketball player

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Femur posted:

is that rainman right hand man of the russian dude still running the Nets? or did he disappear after writing that we lost 150m email?

Well Russians do seem to be dropping like flies lately.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

https://theundefeated.com/features/inside-collis-temples-historic-struggle-as-lsus-first-black-basketball-player/

Article about Garrett Temple's dad's experience as LSU's first black basketball player

This is pretty good.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Phil Jackson is really just a prick.

Whatever the criticisms are of Carmelo, (and I'm a SU homer so I freely admit that he's got enough goodwill from me to last the rest of both our lives), the fact remains that Jackson MADE the Carmelo deal. It's his deal. Melo is his guy. Melo now has the organization over a barrel with an unmovable contract and a no trade clause, courtesy of Jackson. Melo is also saying all the right things in his daily reporter firing squad of "look what president Phil said about you today", his replies are that he wants to stay in New York and help to win games.

It could all be a load of poo poo, Melo is a pretty private guy but he's been very vocal about protecting his brand and keeping his family together in New York. Even if it's the city he loves and not the team, he's saying all the rights things publicly while he gets undercut by his boss nonstop in the media. Maybe the only thing that motivates him is his personal brand and his family and he has no interest in basketball. Maybe he's tired of the criticism and thinks he'll never change anyone's mind.

If a trade happens or not, what is the front office endgame of provoking a max player with a no-trade on a poo poo team? I think Carmelo is stubborn enough to say "gently caress you Phil, I'm gonna put up contested jumpers for 2 years on your dime, say what you want- you're paying for it". His window to play for a real contender as the main piece is already closed, and he's only 32, so why not ride this contract out before he goes ring hunting on a bargain?

I know everyone says Dolan is a meddling idiot and he hired the zen master to come in and bring the Knicks back to respectability, but there's 2 main reasons he needs to pull a Jerry Jones and make everyone come to the table on this:
1- the Knicks are the 2nd most valuable team in the NBA, regardless of being terrible forever.
2- Phil Jackson has done a TERRIBLE job of even appearing interested in his job, which he is TERRIBLE at.

Phil Jackson is waging scorched earth war on his own team by alienating his franchise player after surrounding him with Bulls castoffs based on their 2k12 ratings. How could this team possibly succeed? How is this anyone's fault but his? If he really hates Melo that much, is he SO arrogant to think that he can push him out against his will? The best way to get rid of him would be to butter him up and get him to waive the clause and "help him find a winner" or whatever bullshit management thing that a high level team executive's job consists entirely of! Bashing him in the media will only drive down his trade value and piss him off, except he's a guy who has shown to disappear into a sullen funk when upset instead of lashing out or proving them wrong on the court. If I had to guess at the psyche of a scoring superstar, I would think he feels that he has nothing to prove to anyone in the game of basketball and resents the criticism.

Carmelo isn't blameless in this basketball equation but Jackson and the Knicks knew who he was when they extended him. Jacksons treatment of his stars in his books is awful but at least it's after the fact. Waging a media war on a current player is bad business, it's probably edging into defamation lawsuit territory, and to repeat my thesis, Phil Jackson is really just a prick.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

GrahamBLY posted:

Whatever the criticisms are of Carmelo, (and I'm a SU homer so I freely admit that he's got enough goodwill from me to last the rest of both our lives), the fact remains that Jackson MADE the Carmelo deal. It's his deal. Melo is his guy. Melo now has the organization over a barrel with an unmovable contract and a no trade clause, courtesy of Jackson. Melo is also saying all the right things in his daily reporter firing squad of "look what president Phil said about you today", his replies are that he wants to stay in New York and help to win games.

It could all be a load of poo poo, Melo is a pretty private guy but he's been very vocal about protecting his brand and keeping his family together in New York. Even if it's the city he loves and not the team, he's saying all the rights things publicly while he gets undercut by his boss nonstop in the media. Maybe the only thing that motivates him is his personal brand and his family and he has no interest in basketball. Maybe he's tired of the criticism and thinks he'll never change anyone's mind.

If a trade happens or not, what is the front office endgame of provoking a max player with a no-trade on a poo poo team? I think Carmelo is stubborn enough to say "gently caress you Phil, I'm gonna put up contested jumpers for 2 years on your dime, say what you want- you're paying for it". His window to play for a real contender as the main piece is already closed, and he's only 32, so why not ride this contract out before he goes ring hunting on a bargain?

I know everyone says Dolan is a meddling idiot and he hired the zen master to come in and bring the Knicks back to respectability, but there's 2 main reasons he needs to pull a Jerry Jones and make everyone come to the table on this:
1- the Knicks are the 2nd most valuable team in the NBA, regardless of being terrible forever.
2- Phil Jackson has done a TERRIBLE job of even appearing interested in his job, which he is TERRIBLE at.

Phil Jackson is waging scorched earth war on his own team by alienating his franchise player after surrounding him with Bulls castoffs based on their 2k12 ratings. How could this team possibly succeed? How is this anyone's fault but his? If he really hates Melo that much, is he SO arrogant to think that he can push him out against his will? The best way to get rid of him would be to butter him up and get him to waive the clause and "help him find a winner" or whatever bullshit management thing that a high level team executive's job consists entirely of! Bashing him in the media will only drive down his trade value and piss him off, except he's a guy who has shown to disappear into a sullen funk when upset instead of lashing out or proving them wrong on the court. If I had to guess at the psyche of a scoring superstar, I would think he feels that he has nothing to prove to anyone in the game of basketball and resents the criticism.

Carmelo isn't blameless in this basketball equation but Jackson and the Knicks knew who he was when they extended him. Jacksons treatment of his stars in his books is awful but at least it's after the fact. Waging a media war on a current player is bad business, it's probably edging into defamation lawsuit territory, and to repeat my thesis, Phil Jackson is really just a prick.
wow coming into the thread guns a blazing. welcome. this is a good post. I can't wait until Austin Rivers drops 50 at the garden tonight

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aaron gordan has a bone bruise on his heel, dunk contest is worthless now

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Phil earned his rings like Trump earned his money. He's the Bill Russell of coaches. Shameful, really.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GrahamBLY posted:

This is a good post and we need more passion like this in this thread

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

The Glumslinger posted:

This is a good post and we need more passion like this in this thread

Anything that rips Phil Jackson to shreds is a 5 in my thread.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/829500573150019585

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/829501311754199040

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/829501748905533441

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/829502141500882944

It's better not knowing any of the reasoning behind this.

Edit: video

https://twitter.com/ischafer/status/829500863794274305

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Effortposting is BACK, that was simply a delight to read

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:stare:

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/829501324635037697

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Effortposting is BACK, that was simply a delight to read
back in a BIG way

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GrahamBLY posted:

I didn't realize Oakley posted here

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I stand with Charles Oakley

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

That was quick as fuuuuck

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

edit: NM dexo got it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GrahamBLY posted:

Practically the only chance the Knicks had at being relevant before 2019 at the time Phil Jackson signed was the hope that Melo's relationship with other high level NBA players would cause one of them to either sign or force their way to the Knicks. That didn't materialize. So that was that.

You can argue that Phil should've just let Melo go (and a lot of people here did just that) but I think they are exactly where they are at now, except Dolan has some more dollars in his pocket.

I'm totally with you as far as them doing a great job at alienating any potential big name free agents, but that's like Knicks Standard Operating Procedure since the 70s.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Note that I started writing that reply BEFORE James Dolan picked a fight with one of the teams recent legends.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Was Charles Oakley really trying to loving fight Dolan. Because holy poo poo that owns.

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/829503645410541569

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also on TNT tomorrow. Barkley is about to have a field day...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If that was prime Oakley, Dolan would be dead

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Charles Oakley is the hero New York needs but not the one it deserves.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Dexo posted:

Also on TNT tomorrow. Barkley is about to have a field day...

Oakley already threatened to beat his rear end enough. Barkley better be careful what comes out his lips

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Ernie: drat, after what happened with Dolan yesterday, I don't think it's possible to be in worse graces with Charles Oakley...

Charles Barkley: hold my drink

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/829515422252806144

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
If Oak gets charged for assault then the DA had better find a courtroom outside the city cause no jury would convict for that.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportBlogNYC/status/829514568288329728

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
When keeping it real goes oh so right

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

If Oak gets charged for assault then the DA had better find a courtroom outside the city cause no jury would convict for that.
after voir dire it's just former players Oak punked

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

1) Point guard passes the ball to an open teammate. Teammate immediately takes shot, makes basket. Point guard gets assist.

2) Point guard passes the ball to an open teammate. Teammate immediately takes shot, but is fouled in the act. The ball does not go in the basket but the shooter is awarded 2 free throws. The point guard does not get an assist.

Would the following rule change make sense?

In scenario 2, rather than the point guard getting 0 assists if the teammate makes 1 or 2 of the free throws, change the rule so that the point guard gets 0.5 assists per free throw made (only 1.0 assist possible even if it is 3 free throws).

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Being a Knicks fan is a loving nightmare

At least this is embarrassing in an amusing way for once

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

shirts and skins posted:

the cops probably let him off after getting photos and autographs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

johnny sack posted:

1) Point guard passes the ball to an open teammate. Teammate immediately takes shot, makes basket. Point guard gets assist.

2) Point guard passes the ball to an open teammate. Teammate immediately takes shot, but is fouled in the act. The ball does not go in the basket but the shooter is awarded 2 free throws. The point guard does not get an assist.

Would the following rule change make sense?

In scenario 2, rather than the point guard getting 0 assists if the teammate makes 1 or 2 of the free throws, change the rule so that the point guard gets 0.5 assists per free throw made (only 1.0 assist possible even if it is 3 free throws).
no because a foul isn't in the shooter or passers control. It's also accounted for in advanced passing stats like ASTPTS created already

• Locked thread