Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
To be sure, I wasn't defending SeaWorld in any way. The safety of their trainers is actually pretty low on reasons why whales shouldn't be kept in captivity.

There are plenty of dangerous jobs out there. As long as the workers are aware of the dangers, compensated accordingly, and risks mitigated - they should be able to drop down in the water with all the six ton shark-murdering aqua-mammals they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Feonir posted:

Those clown fellows at the rodeo seem on the ball, lets toss a few in the tank and see how they fare.

Clowns of the sea?

I'm just speculating about the OSHA thing anyway. Maybe everyone just gets squicky at the idea of being eaten by a giant whale, more than trampled under a bull.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

there wolf posted:

Clowns of the sea?

I'm just speculating about the OSHA thing anyway. Maybe everyone just gets squicky at the idea of being eaten by a giant whale, more than trampled under a bull.

We know how that ends.

http://i.imgur.com/enNafzf.mp4

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Feonir posted:

We know how that ends.

"Charlie, take my word for it! Don't look back! Swim, Charlie! Swim!"

I would have been in tears if I was on that boat, even if he made it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Feonir posted:

We know how that ends.

:ohdear: I'm so glad this didn't end like I thought it was going to.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PallasAthene posted:

I'm not sure if you're trolling me, but if OSHA came out and said "Any job where you're in close contact with potentially dangerous animals as a form of entertainment is now over with for the employees' safety" then I'd get it. To me, it's like saying "Commercial tuna fishing boats are dangerous to the occupants and nobody can use them anymore...However, commercial swordfishing boats, which have similar incident statistics, will remain legal."

But I only read one book about it. For all I know, bull riders, snake charmers, lion tamers, and Miccosukee alligator wrestlers have a powerful dangerous animal lobby in DC that Sea World never had the sense to join.

I know you didn't mean it in bad faith but some people like to use the "If X is illegal, why is Y that is similar to X still legal? (X should be legal)"

"You're right. Y should be illegal too."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

monster on a stick posted:

Millennials are to blame for all evil in the world. You just need, I dunno, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry to do a cover of "We Didn't Start The Fire."

ke$ha

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

there wolf posted:

Bull and bronc riding anticipate that the animal is going to be hostile and make allowances for that; riders wear safety gear and there's a whole system for preventing goring and trampling. And even then, the biggest danger is a bad landing when you're thrown.

I don't know what allowances you can make for not getting eaten by apex-predator of the sea that isn't just stay away.

Yeah, exactly. If you're bull and bronc riding, (I'm assuming) you've got paramedics on hand, as well as other people usually standing by to try and distract the animal if anything goes wrong.

If a 3600 kg apex predator that can hold its breath for over 15 minutes at a time decides it wants to chomp down on your ankle and pull you down beneath the surface because it's bored and psychologically hosed up, there isn't really anything anyone can do about it but stand by and watch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whitlam posted:

Yeah, exactly. If you're bull and bronc riding, (I'm assuming) you've got paramedics on hand, as well as other people usually standing by to try and distract the animal if anything goes wrong.

If a 3600 kg apex predator that can hold its breath for over 15 minutes at a time decides it wants to chomp down on your ankle and pull you down beneath the surface because it's bored and psychologically hosed up, there isn't really anything anyone can do about it but stand by and watch.

Could kill it to save the humans life. But that would require a lot of planning and safety measures and I'm assuming some sort of explosive devide planted in the whales brain or something. Let's be honest, probably just cheaper at this point to replace the trainer.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Trainers are a dime a dozen unlike whales, so it'd make sense to just let the whale do it's thing, but then again, kill the whale and they get that little bit more endangered, allowing you to jack up ticket prices even more. Either way I think the moral of the story is that the free market demands a blood sacrifice. :capitalism:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

quote:

HMV's were in every Canadian mall I'd ever been in, including the mall I moved next to in 2010. They sold your typical HMV stuff - mostly music, movies, posters, DVD and a bit of IP merch. In 2011 or '12 the location closed as the mall underwent renovation. It popped up as a temporary, half-sized store for 3 months around Christmas of '13, then disappeared again. They were selling about twice as much IP merch this time, but still mostly music/movies.

Two months ago HMV re-appears. The approach they've taken is this - take Spencers, Hot Topic and EB and cram it all into one store. Also a couple of racks of CDs, I guess.

You have your wall of FunKo figures, your poster section covering music, movies, anime and memes; you have a selection of actual new releases on vinyl, record players, and framed art prints of all the major Marvel characters. There's hoodies, sleeping bags, collectable busts, charms and every other kind of thing you could slap an IP on. For lack of a better word, the selection was schizophrenic. It's like the CEO googled "what do nerds buy" and stocked the whole chain with the top 200 results.

I made this post in D&D in a thread on a similar topic about two weeks ago - but I read about the demise of HMV, again, in this thread. Two weeks ago I was wondering how this could possibly work, and I got my answer. I went in again to pick up a couple more CDs, since everything on was on sale.
The employees chatted for about three minutes while I stood there waiting to pay. When the guy finally got to me, he outright told me he was surprised I was going to pay, and that I should have just walked out. 110% apathy, and I didn't blame them one bit.
Sale wise, the CDs were slim pickings but absolutely all the other products I mentioned were untouched. The store didn't resemble a failed retailer at all, it looked fully stocked.
At this point I expect the ghost of HMV to just haunt that spot in the mall, cursing any franchisee who dares open up shop to abject failure.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There's a Rite Aid near my office that looks like a liquidation popup store. The Walgreens buyout seems to be going badly...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/rite-aid-shares-plunge-after-walgreens-cuts-acquisition-price.html

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They better not gently caress up my Thrifty's ice Cream boxes.

4out of 5 Rite Aides I've been to in the last few months were hilariously understaffed. I'm talking like 3 employees (plus pharmacy folks) in the whole store at 4 in the afternoon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's all pharmacy's. It's weird how they've tried becoming legit retail stores with food and merchandise besides medical stuff, but they have no staff. So if someone actually does enough shopping there to warrant one of those little grocery carts it makes everything slow to a crawl.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's all pharmacy's. It's weird how they've tried becoming legit retail stores with food and merchandise besides medical stuff, but they have no staff. So if someone actually does enough shopping there to warrant one of those little grocery carts it makes everything slow to a crawl.

This is one of the most dead-on hilarious Onion bits I've ever read:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Walgreens seems to me kicking rear end tho. They've opened two new stores, new buildings and all, within a half mile of each other here. I like them. Clean, bright, and no pesky may I help you drones to annoy you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've noticed that a lot of these chains have started closing their actual pharmacies earlier now and/or telling people to go to the one location in town that they have staff in.

But yes it seems like now when I go into most Walgreens or CVSs I end up waiting for a cashier to show up from having to do restocking work or whatever because no one else is working there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Krispy Kareem posted:

The local Walgreens was the only place nearby when I needed passport photos taken, and it was loving agony.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

You'd think with how insanely overpriced everything that isn't milk is they'd be able to afford more staff.

I think the idea is "well we'll have this stuff just in case they see something they need while they're here. They can pick it up!" That or like people who frequently come in for prescriptions would just grab their month's supply of *thing* while there. Which would make sense if the stuff wasn't 50% more expensive than other stores, sometimes ones in the same building.

In K-Mart news the one I live near is closing. It doesn't shock me at all. That store was on life support. Their :siren: EVERYTHING MUST GO MEGA SUPER CLOSEOUT :siren: sale was as underwhelming as you'd expect. By the time I got there the store was pretty picked over and most things you'd actually want to buy were 10% or 20% off at most, sometimes off of a price that just happened to be higher shortly before the store announced its closing. I figured maybe I could grab some tools but there were things I looked at and thought "huh...listed as $15, was $19. It was $12 a few months ago."

:capitalism:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bought a 18 pack of kcups for 2.50 at Walgreens with my app, bought two bc they had good brands

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I hope Rite Aid stays around because they usually have pretty good liquor prices.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Walgreens is convenient but I wish they would stop judging me for picking up some Dr Pepper along with my metformin

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the number of medical procedures that can be done in pharmacies will be expanded. I could see them becoming one-stop, mini-medical centers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder if the number of medical procedures that can be done in pharmacies will be expanded. I could see them becoming one-stop, mini-medical centers.

Theranos!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol, Isn't that company still technically worth millions?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

Lol, Isn't that company still technically worth millions?

They have 'patents' and they're trying to sell technology rather than actual blood tests. They also laid off a bunch of employees last week so...

They still have all the money people invested in them, but those same investors are now suing to get whatever's left. The company won't last long.

Their CEO was cute in a crazy eyes kind of way.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Krispy Kareem posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You'd think with how insanely overpriced everything that isn't milk is they'd be able to afford more staff.
:capitalism:

If you drew a Venn Diagram of "Elderly people afraid of being mugged or slipping on ice while walking through Wal-Mart parking lot" and "Elderly people who haven't paid attention to how much things cost in the last fifteen years," a good portion of people buying anything but drugs in a neighborhood pharmacy would fall into the intersection of those sets. I had a roommate in college who worked at an Eckerd's, and she said that their business was elderly retirees all morning with a lunch break rush of random people, then retirees again for the afternoon and then from 6-ish until they closed, it abruptly switched to stoners coming in for snacks and cigarettes.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

RandomPauI posted:

I thinkI read that this is CVS plan and the reason they decided to stop selling cigarettes. I think they want to transition into a legit mini medical center because they know they can't survive in retail and medical services are the best way to fleece Americans.

edit: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-cvs-stopped-selling-cigarettes-2014-9

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

I thinkI read that this is CVS plan and the reason they decided to stop selling cigarettes. I think they want to transition into a legit mini medical center because they know they can't survive in retail and medical services are the best way to fleece Americans.

edit: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-cvs-stopped-selling-cigarettes-2014-9

I'm not sure I'd call it fleecing. Retail clinics are usually much cheaper than doctor's offices. Granted it's because you're being seen by a nurse and not a doctor, but most of the time you don't need a full fledged doctor.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'd call it fleecing when you're still paying more than should even at the half the price because the healthcare system in this country is a joke.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Full fledged doctors are becoming less unique and useful too. Their historical primary role is that of knowledge broker, with a deep base of specialized knowledge to cut through ambiguity and diagnose and treat problems.

In the age of automation, knowledge broker is something that is pretty replaceable. I was talking to someone in nursing who was saying that 95% of the time, the doctor on staff is essentially just a medical license with a rubber stamp. I bet in 50 years that the way people receive treatment is going to look very different

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

canyoneer posted:

Full fledged doctors are becoming less unique and useful too. Their historical primary role is that of knowledge broker, with a deep base of specialized knowledge to cut through ambiguity and diagnose and treat problems.

In the age of automation, knowledge broker is something that is pretty replaceable. I was talking to someone in nursing who was saying that 95% of the time, the doctor on staff is essentially just a medical license with a rubber stamp. I bet in 50 years that the way people receive treatment is going to look very different

But certainly not any cheaper.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Doctors should get a real job like a social media sharespace manager

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

But certainly not any cheaper.

Probably cheaper, since the whole reason we have retail clinics and urgent care is cost. Urgent Care can cost exponentially less than an E.R visit.

Retail medicine costs can't increase as fast as traditional medicine because it's patients don't have insurance or good insurance. This creates pricing pressure to keep bills low. You don't see that in hospitals or traditional doctor's offices because they're mostly shielded from the real price of care or it's lumped in with other costs like treating indigent patients.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My last three doctor visits. All different doctors:

1. I sat there in a examination room after I broken bottle cut the poo poo out of my thumb. I sat there bleeding profusely into a tub of water while listening to my doctor in the other room yell at Best Buy for forty five minutes because his wife's new laptop was defective and they didn't have the same model in stock.

2. I went to ask why my ring fingers on both hands shake like crazy when I grab things. After a blood test her response was that she didn't know what's causing it but she could prescribe me some drugs that might fix it but have terrible side effects. I believe it's a result of cubital tunnel syndrome.

3. A doctor kept insisting that I had gonorrhea or chlymydia because it was burning when I would pee. I explained to him that I recently had kidney stones and WebMD said right after that happens it's pretty much a certainty that I would get a UTI. He handwaved that and said he was 99% sure it was an STD. A week later my lab results confirmed I had a urinary tract infection. It was an awkward week for my girlfriend and I.

Doctors are bullshit.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Probably cheaper, since the whole reason we have retail clinics and urgent care is cost. Urgent Care can cost exponentially less than an E.R visit.

Retail medicine costs can't increase as fast as traditional medicine because it's patients don't have insurance or good insurance. This creates pricing pressure to keep bills low. You don't see that in hospitals or traditional doctor's offices because they're mostly shielded from the real price of care or it's lumped in with other costs like treating indigent patients.

Boy it's almost like those costs could be managed by top-down directives to fix pricing at reasonable levels or something. And maybe have a risk-pool of several hundred million to mitigate per-person expenditures.

Nah lets keep going with dozens of for-profit insurance companies that exist solely to price gouge both the consumers and the medical field. That's way more efficient!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Anyone who hates doctor visits just to get some Amoxicillin, you know you can cheaply buy it online in the US without a prescription, right? Just get it for "fish" and it is the exact same stuff.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/fimoxam2530c.html

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/wc-730-wc-730-11998.html

Per the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr206.7.pdf), each capsule, tablet, or pill must be uniquely marked. Two tablets with identical colors, shapes, and markings cannot, by law, have different ingredients. This is for a variety of reasons, but not limited to assisting Poison Control hotlines, hospitals, doctors, etc., in determining what someone might have ingested, overdosed on, or is causing side effects.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

Boy it's almost like those costs could be managed by top-down directives to fix pricing at reasonable levels or something. And maybe have a risk-pool of several hundred million to mitigate per-person expenditures.

Nah lets keep going with dozens of for-profit insurance companies that exist solely to price gouge both the consumers and the medical field. That's way more efficient!

You realize private insurers have limits on how much they can take in versus pay out in premiums? Between 80 and 85% of every dollar has to go towards medical claims. And that remaining 20% isn't profit - that's payroll, rent, marketing, and maybe profit. I think the profit margin for my insurance carrier on the ACA exchange is something like 2.5%. It's almost not worth even offering coverage, except the more members an insurer has the more leverage it has to negotiate lower prices across all it's plans.

So at the most 20 cents of every dollar paid in premiums goes into the insurance companies' pockets. Unless you work for a large company, then they self-fund and the insurer is just handling the paperwork and customer service. In which case their cut is significantly less (but so is the risk).

There's a lot wrong with the U.S. healthcare system and we might be better off with a single payer format, but insurers aren't the reason prices are so high.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Anyone who hates doctor visits just to get some Amoxicillin, you know you can cheaply buy it online in the US without a prescription, right? Just get it for "fish" and it is the exact same stuff.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/fimoxam2530c.html

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/wc-730-wc-730-11998.html

Per the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/aprqtr/pdf/21cfr206.7.pdf), each capsule, tablet, or pill must be uniquely marked. Two tablets with identical colors, shapes, and markings cannot, by law, have different ingredients. This is for a variety of reasons, but not limited to assisting Poison Control hotlines, hospitals, doctors, etc., in determining what someone might have ingested, overdosed on, or is causing side effects.
Have fun shoving antibiotics down your throat when your dumb rear end can't tell if you have something bacterial or viral. There's a reason they're gated behind doctors.

Not that doctors have a good track record of stonewalling people who go "but I neeeeeed antibiotics!" when it'd do jack poo poo for whatever they've got, but at least they're trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ryonguy posted:

I don't think the medical field is getting ripped off by insurance companies. Doctors and hospitals are rich as hell. Doctors are incredibly entitled.