Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

drunkill posted:

So, Turnbulls insults at Shorten about sucking up to Richard Pratt today in question time? Well, Pratt died a few years ago but guess which party his family has only donated to in the last financial year? Thats right, the Liberals.

Own goal President Trumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVydihI7XQ

The video of this is embarrassing and pathetic on several levels.

Shorten looks like a sad boy being chastised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Labour Shadow AG wrote to the AG asking if he's aware that a minister is breaking the constitution (for making money from the rental of a Post Office I think) and is thus ineligible for his seat. Meaning a by-election and the possible loss of majority government. Uh oh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

The Labour Shadow AG wrote to the AG asking if he's aware that a minister is breaking the constitution (for making money from the rental of a Post Office I think) and is thus ineligible for his seat. Meaning a by-election and the possible loss of majority government. Uh oh.

Sounds awkward.

:dukedog:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

quote:

David Gillespie, a Turnbull government minister, under constitutional cloud

The future of one of Malcolm Turnbull's ministers is under a constitutional cloud, due to concerns one of his real estate arrangements could disqualify him from Federal Parliament.

In circumstances that echo the Bob Day case currently before the High Court, experts believe Assistant Health Minister David Gillespie could have an indirect financial interest in the Commonwealth - grounds for removal from federal office under section 44(v) of the constitution.

Dr Gillespie owns a small suburban shopping complex at Lighthouse Beach in Port Macquarie, on the NSW north coast. One of the shops is an outlet of Australia Post – a government-owned corporation.

The Nationals MP says he and his wife, through their company Goldenboot, lease the space to a local woman who is an Australia Post licensee – meaning he has no direct financial link to the postal service.

"I have no leases or deals with Australia Post," Dr Gillespie told Fairfax Media.

But UNSW constitutional law expert George Williams believes Dr Gillespie could still be in trouble – particularly if the High Court settles on a broad definition of "indirect pecuniary interest" in the Bob Day test case.

In that scenario the government should seek "urgent legal advice" about Dr Gillespie's eligibility, he says.

"This does raise questions, there's no doubt about that," Professor Williams said. "These arrangements could certainly constitute an indirect pecuniary interest. I think there is an arguable case here."

If Dr Gillespie was referred to the High Court and subsequently disqualified it would spark a byelection in his seat of Lyne.

The Nationals would be likely to retain the seat but it would still be an enormous political headache for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Labor's legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus has written to Attorney-General George Brandis about the situation, saying any doubts about Dr Gillespie's eligibility are "a very grave matter", given the finely-balanced Parliament.

"This would not only affect Mr Gillespie but would imperil the government's majority and further weaken the Prime Minister's grip on power," he said in the letter. "I seek your urgent confirmation as to whether you have sought any advice from the Solicitor-General about this highly concerning matter, which raises questions about the constitutional integrity of the government."

Constitutional law expert Anne Twomey, from the University of Sydney, agrees the outcome of the Bob Day case will be critical in determining whether arrangements such as Dr Gillespie's are allowed.

"It will depend very much upon the principles the court applies," Professor Twomey said.

"For example, it might limit the application of the provision to cases where there is a risk of the government using the pecuniary interest to influence the member or where the member is using his or her office to obtain benefits from the government. We will not know until the Day case is decided."

However Professor Twomey says contracts that don't personally involve the MP are less likely to breach section 44(v) "as it would not be likely to fall within the mischief that the provision was directed at".

Section 44(v) of the constitution says any person who "has any direct or indirect pecuniary interest in any agreement with the Public Service of the Commonwealth otherwise than as a member and in common with the other members of an incorporated company consisting of more than 25 persons shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives".

The section is an anti-corruption measure, designed to stop people sitting in Parliament and at the same time making money through contracts with the Commonwealth. But it's also imprecise, and the limits of what's meant by "indirect pecuniary interest" have never been tested by the full bench of the High Court.

The court is considering whether former Family First senator Bob Day was ineligible to be elected because he had an indirect financial interest over a taxpayer-funded electorate office leased to the Department of Finance. The government was given legal advice his arrangements could have breached the section.

The case returned to the High Court on Tuesday. Comment on Dr Gillespie's case has been sought from Attorney-General George Brandis.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/students-among-worstaffected-by-proposed-newstart-changes-20170208-gu8jt8.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man this whole government is not even going to last the year, let alone Trumble staying as President Prime Minister.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We really have a boring constitution. America gets Free speech, guns, and it being ok to have prisoners as slaves, while we get post offices and wierd arguments about fireworks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh and the ACT gets a bit of Jervis bay.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

Labor's legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus has written to Attorney-General George Brandis about the situation, saying any doubts about Dr Gillespie's eligibility are "a very grave matter", given the finely-balanced Parliament.

"This would not only affect Mr Gillespie but would imperil the government's majority and further weaken the Prime Minister's grip on power," he said in the letter. "I seek your urgent confirmation as to whether you have sought any advice from the Solicitor-General about this highly concerning matter, which raises questions about the constitutional integrity of the government."

:iceburn:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Wow my hometown in the news... for an incredibly boring reason. Thanks Gillespie.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Liberal backbencher George Christensen has signalled he will break ranks with the Turnbull government to vote for a non-government bill calling for a commission of inquiry into the banking industry. The announcement from the outspoken conservative follows the defection of the Liberal senator Cory Bernardi this week.

The...hero...we...need? :psyboom:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

The Liberal backbencher George Christensen has signalled he will break ranks with the Turnbull government to vote for a non-government bill calling for a commission of inquiry into the banking industry. The announcement from the outspoken conservative follows the defection of the Liberal senator Cory Bernardi this week.

The...hero...we...need? :psyboom:

He's just being difficult for the government. It just so happened that this is the first time his dissenting opinion is better than general LNP consensus (somehow)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/DavidParis/status/829465431630942208

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Wow

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mad Katter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVydihI7XQ

The video of this is embarrassing and pathetic on several levels.

Shorten looks like a sad boy being chastised.
On the one hand Shorten should be taken to task for his milquetoast performance as a union official. On the other this is the weakest of weak sauce burns and Turnip should be embarrassed for having been involved. "He wants to live in Kirribilli house AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CAD!!!!!!!!!!!!" ffs. This is the act of a desperate dilettante holding on to power by the slimiest of fingertip grips. The enthusiasm which the News Corpse press have taken up the cause must only be to remind Tornbutt that he rules entirely at their whim.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even Tingle was gasping at Turnbull's aggressiveness, quite the disappointment. She has a firm grasp on the long trend, but they must be desperate for entertainment if that's all it takes to cause hot flushes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Who was it even for? Question time is just for Journalists to laugh at, right?

I mean, Joe Slow wouldn't give a gently caress what Trumbles calls Shorten; his political opnion starts and ends with "I just wish they would get on with the job, ay?"

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

He's just being difficult for the government. It just so happened that this is the first time his dissenting opinion is better than general LNP consensus (somehow)

Yes, it’s a long bow but reckon this could add to the federal destabilisation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/PmPaulKeating/status/829445533185953792

:allears: never change.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Who was it even for? Question time is just for Journalists to laugh at, right?

I mean, Joe Slow wouldn't give a gently caress what Trumbles calls Shorten; his political opnion starts and ends with "I just wish they would get on with the job, ay?"

Yeah he looks like a loving tosser calling out "the politics of envy" while cutting welfare and lining up corporate tax cuts. It's not for people who are paying attention, it's just more "both sides are bad" garbage and news corpse of course praising his performance and who gives a gently caress about the actual policy that was being argued about.

Oh he's so alive and fiery pointing out Shorten's ties to big business, which are bad, unlike his own, which are obviously good because he is rich.

edit: ^ - Paul Keating says it better than I could ever hope to
edit 2: People are going nuts for strongmen in their 70s who can lob a good burn right now, time for a Keating comeback?

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The PM is only meant to live at Kirribilli House when they are visiting Sydney.

Except Howard wanted house on the harbour so he moved in permanently.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Comstar posted:

The schadenfreude in Ahmed Fahour must be very strong today.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bill shorten is such a loser, he's not a real rich like me, malcolm trumbul

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Not even a billionaire.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Katherine Murphy sure is a complete loving hack

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aejix posted:

You can say that about 99% of the parliament press

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Who's the 1%

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pfffffft, ha ha ha

Hope the full quote is "I stand up to billionaires, then I kneel down to them, then I start pumping, pumping, pumping... uh, for Australian interest"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherfucker. Throw his rear end out. He's a poor! He's a poor! He's a poor! A poor, look, there's a poor! Oooo! Ooo... All right, ya see? It shocks you, it shocks you, to see what's buried beneath, you stupid mother fuckers! Fifty years ago we'd have you upside-down with a loving fork up your rear end! -malcom tirbkFLknf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Appropos of nothing, here is a long interesting article about a guy who went to Nauru to work on their government's budget in 2008: https://thomasthethinkengine.com/2016/06/17/treasury-island/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

aejix posted:

she straight up has a crush on malcolm turnbull, she visits the press gallery every day hoping to catch his eye

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

You can say that about 99% of the parliament press

At least its easy to avoid most of them because poo poo clings together, but when you finish reading someone like Greg Jericho laying it down with a billion graphs with links to source data and everything, and then you read her complete poo poo, it's very disappointing. Why she's still at the Guardian is beyond me but the depressing part is she's probably better than the rest of the press gallery. Tossers.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Pfffffft, ha ha ha

Hope the full quote is "I stand up to billionaires, then I kneel down to them, then I start pumping, pumping, pumping... uh, for Australian interest"

I stand up to billionaires, I look them the eye, and I say "don't worry about paying taxes, we'll just gently caress over the poor"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A Coalition senator is threatening to oppose his own government's plan to axe the notorious Life Gold Pass – which gives former MPs free business-class travel on the taxpayer – saying it's time someone stood up for politicians.

Queensland backbencher Ian Macdonald says politicians work extremely hard and don't get paid particularly well for their efforts.

Senator Macdonald – who is paid a salary of $200,000 a year as a backbencher

Hilarious Hills To Die On for $400

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

A Coalition senator is threatening to oppose his own government's plan to axe the notorious Life Gold Pass – which gives former MPs free business-class travel on the taxpayer – saying it's time someone stood up for politicians.

Queensland backbencher Ian Macdonald says politicians work extremely hard and don't get paid particularly well for their efforts.

Senator Macdonald – who is paid a salary of $200,000 a year as a backbencher

Hilarious Hills To Die On for $400

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH oh my loving god.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Single parents get $19,201 a year max from the government, and they're not allowed to make more than 188 bucks per fortnight or it gets reduced.

This guy gets $30k a year in super alone to account for his post-parlimentary retirement, all for sitting on a bench and voting how he's told. The temerity to complain about losing free business class upgrades. I hope he's savaged.

Edit: Unemployed people aged 22-24 will lose out on almost $100 a fortnight despite homelessness being at an all time high and public housing (in Victoria) having a 35,000 person wait list. Surely this will somehow be good for the economy.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 9, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ever since Bernie Sander's, pretty much every party leader has put on an anti billionaire mask. Comes off as fake. Waste of PR time.

Dunno why Turnbull is bothering since he usually waves his business experience like a flag as his apparent strong point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
As I said in our party room the other day: I do not want to indicate what was said in the party room but these are my own thoughts, not the party room’s thoughts especially. It is about time our leaders – all of our leaders, and Senator Di Natale would be a good start – started emphasising how much work politicians do, how much commitment most of the people who sit in this parliament – most, I might add – have. They are here because they believe in Australia and they believe that they can make a contribution to Australia. By the standards in the community they do not get particularly well-paid, and there are hundreds of examples of that.

Someone has to stand up, rather than just Senator Ludlam joining the populist theme and denigrating by innuendo everybody in this chamber and the other chamber, and start arguing for politicians, arguing for parliamentarians, saying why they are there.

Most parliamentarians – or those on this side – would have done infinitely better financially staying in their legal practice, staying in their business, staying in their veterinary practice, staying in the jobs they had before. That is not why they have come into this chamber.

I will be talking on this again in another bill coming up, where I will be opposing my government and again moving amendments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

As I said in our party room the other day: I do not want to indicate what was said in the party room but these are my own thoughts, not the party room’s thoughts especially. It is about time our leaders – all of our leaders, and Senator Di Natale would be a good start – started emphasising how much work politicians do, how much commitment most of the people who sit in this parliament – most, I might add – have. They are here because they believe in Australia and they believe that they can make a contribution to Australia. By the standards in the community they do not get particularly well-paid, and there are hundreds of examples of that.

Someone has to stand up, rather than just Senator Ludlam joining the populist theme and denigrating by innuendo everybody in this chamber and the other chamber, and start arguing for politicians, arguing for parliamentarians, saying why they are there.

Most parliamentarians – or those on this side – would have done infinitely better financially staying in their legal practice, staying in their business, staying in their veterinary practice, staying in the jobs they had before. That is not why they have come into this chamber.

I will be talking on this again in another bill coming up, where I will be opposing my government and again moving amendments.

Good, stay there then you loving piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread