Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I had to google guilliman, and found out his first name is Robot.

Robot Girlyman.

Goddamn 40k is the dumbest loving thing ever, and I love everything I find out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Roboute Guiliman. Though if Ghazkhul is supposed to be a jab at Maggie Thatcher, he might indeed be Robot Girlyman.

GW was a lot different in the early 90s.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wait, not, that's not true. His name is a reference to Robert Gilham, who inspired 40K:
https://books.google.lt/books?id=IX38CwAAQBAJ&pg=PA610&lpg=PA610&dq=roboute#v=onepage&q=roboute&f=false

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
And Primarch of the Dark Angels, Lion'El Jonson is named after British poet Lionel Johnson, whose most famous poem is called The Dark Angel.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The difference being that Gilham doesn't even have a wikipedia page!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

And Primarch of the Dark Angels, Lion'El Jonson is named after British poet Lionel Johnson, whose most famous poem is called The Dark Angel.

Lionel Johnson was also gay, and The Rock was supposedly the name of a gay bar near GW's HQ. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Actually it's Dwayne Johnson, hence "The Rock"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

Actually it's Dwayne Johnson, hence "The Rock"

I wish it was retconned so The Rock wasn't merely a chunk of Caliban, but part of a giant statue erected to a Terran hero of legend: Dw'ayne El-rok Jonsson.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

I wish it was retconned so The Rock wasn't merely a chunk of Caliban, but part of a giant statue erected to a Terran hero of legend: Dw'ayne El-rok Jonsson.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would watch The Rock star in a 40k movie.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I would give GW money for this.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hra Mormo posted:

I would give GW money for this.

I wouldn't and neither should any of you.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Len posted:

I would watch The Rock star in a 40k movie.

Well, we got Vin Diesel in one and that's almost as good.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW has experimented with larger scales before but this really takes the cake

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Zark the Damned posted:

Hell yeah that's best value

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He looks so happy!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zark the Damned posted:

Is that true scale!?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
He will have torchfeet in my heart forever :allears:

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
So, wait. One of the units you can have in your army is the literal God of humanity? Do you just win as soon as you field him? Can you even make it balanced and make sense plot wise?

"Yeah, normally the almighty, literal deity of our entire race would just chainsaw punch through the entire enemy army by himself. But he pulled a hammy last week playing ultimate Frisbee and the imperial doctors said he had to take it easy for a while."

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Bubblyblubber posted:

So, wait. One of the units you can have in your army is the literal God of humanity? Do you just win as soon as you field him? Can you even make it balanced and make sense plot wise?

"Yeah, normally the almighty, literal deity of our entire race would just chainsaw punch through the entire enemy army by himself. But he pulled a hammy last week playing ultimate Frisbee and the imperial doctors said he had to take it easy for a while."

:gw:

Edit: I was really hoping there was a gamesworkshop emote

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bubblyblubber posted:

Emperor got punked by an ork warboss. An ork warboss. He is pretty poo poo tier.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They don't make Orks like they used to.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Or goddamn deities either, from the looks of it.

I swear I've tried to read more about 40k lore, but it seems everytime I start to read a wiki entry about whatever thirty minutes go by and I find myself in a loving secondary section with an entry from a supply officer's diary talking about the hardships in maintaining supply lines to the imperial army in some backwater planet and it is so boring

Is there a cliff's notes of this poo poo? I love the grim goofy darkness with obligatory skull guns and spooky skellys, but I don't have the patience to dig through a space Roman quartermaster's weekly dairy deliveries log books to find fun stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aren't Orks immune to the Warp? That would neuter most of the combat power of his holyness and probably put him on even footing with a strong warboss.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Sauron is/was a playable unit in Lord of the Rings. But I think the scenario basically called for an entire army to fight against just Sauron.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bubblyblubber posted:

Is there a cliff's notes of this poo poo?

poo poo's hosed, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Emperor isn't going to appear in 40k (as far as I can guess). In 30k, however, the Custodes rules are out and while he doesn't have rules yet, he's name-dropped in a rule as some basic future-proofing. He'll likely appear in a book about the Siege of Terra, but chaos will have super Horus so whatever. They'll probably each be like 1000 points each and will never see the table outside of ridiculous apocalypse games.

40k-proper is having all sorts of bullshit happening right now. Cadia's been blown up, Biel-Tan wrecked, and the Eldar death god's waking up. Next up, Guilliman's coming back which is likely just the start of loyalist primarchs returning. Similarly, Magnus is probably the first of the traitor primarchs. poo poo's hosed and is going to get dumb as hell.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Cadia's been blown up,

Regimental Standard is the best thing GW's doing right now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

But at least they're moving along the story? Maybe GW is moving towards nuking 40k like they did Fantasy?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's like when a show has been on too long so they introduce a baby in an attempt to gain ratings, but no one wants a fuckin' baby on a sitcom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

Regimental Standard is the best thing GW's doing right now

lol

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bubblyblubber posted:

God-Emperor didn't really become God- before, well, dying. He was just the most powerful human of all time (and an amalgam of Earth's most powerful shamans/psykers from the dawn of history). Getting locked up in Golden Throne let him spend more time in the warp and that is where it got interested.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Or goddamn deities either, from the looks of it.

I swear I've tried to read more about 40k lore, but it seems everytime I start to read a wiki entry about whatever thirty minutes go by and I find myself in a loving secondary section with an entry from a supply officer's diary talking about the hardships in maintaining supply lines to the imperial army in some backwater planet and it is so boring

Is there a cliff's notes of this poo poo? I love the grim goofy darkness with obligatory skull guns and spooky skellys, but I don't have the patience to dig through a space Roman quartermaster's weekly dairy deliveries log books to find fun stuff.

Well, now I know that you're full of poo poo. No GW writer understands that military logistics are a thing. Consequently, there are no supply officers to fill diaries.

If you want to unfuck yourself, read this.

Also, Lexicanum is the good wiki for hams, if only for the fact that it doesn't look like every wikia page under the sun.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drake_263 posted:

Meanwhile, the slightly-older-but-new Space Marine Force Commander kit is a little box with two sprues full of all sorts of interesting bits that are also compatible with the rest of the plastic Marine range, so you can get some pretty unique combos:

Edit: Of course, the new clam pack also costs £24 when you compare it to £14 for the old kit.

This was a long arse time ago but it still pisses me off that they can't make a single character kit, even approaching the level of customisation, for xenos races as they did for the marines! The newer Dark Eldar Archon is a step in the right direction, if only because; you'll have plenty of bits from any of the infantry kits (Kabalites and Scourges most notably) that work seamlessly on him.
I keep looking at the Eldar Autarch kit and just think, among other things, "What a waste of potential."

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Biel-Tan wrecked

So do any of the space elves from that one survive?
I've got a few that I was planning on painting up in that scheme, because of the 3rd ed rulebook battle report of Biel-Tan vs Ultramarines.

(I'm honestly surprised this didn't start with Ulthwe or one of the other crone-world type craftworlds or whatever).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mcjomar posted:

So do any of the space elves from that one survive?
I've got a few that I was planning on painting up in that scheme, because of the 3rd ed rulebook battle report of Biel-Tan vs Ultramarines.

(I'm honestly surprised this didn't start with Ulthwe or one of the other crone-world type craftworlds or whatever).

Crone worlds aren't craftworlds.

Also, this started with Cadia, the most important planet of all.

And I guess some Biel-Tan will have survived, unless they say that everyone is super dead.

Or you could just play them as Biel-Tan from some previous time in history. It's not like there are Biel-Tan models or rules that can become unsupported.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Also, this started with Cadia, the most important planet of all.

I thought it was implied that I meant/was referring to the Ynnead eldar-specific thing, not the 40k-totally-not-end-times thing in general.
I guess maybe I wasn't obvious enough?

JcDent posted:

And I guess some Biel-Tan will have survived, unless they say that everyone is super dead.

Yeah, I'm sort of waiting for them to say one way or the other in that regard (or for spoilers to come out from the books on this one, from BolS or whatever) and if they don't get specific I'll just assume my guys are random survivors or whatever.

I'm still left wondering why this didn't happen to an eldar group closer to the EoT (or in the case of the yellow guys, a group with more soulstone-powered things).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, it would make sense with the yellow dudes, but c'est la grimdark.

I think Biel-Tan is the one most rooting for return to the old Empire, so that's that.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess If anyone asks post-ynnead, my farseer and dudes were totally out getting space milk when the apocalypse hit or whatever.
Or maybe they were visiting relatives on a nearby exodite world. Yeah, they were off seeing granny, that's what happened :v:

(One of these days I'll actually post a miniature for this thread or something).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ guys, no one will give a poo poo if your plastic dollies are painted like the correct era-appropriate part of your space-elf-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The player himself will care, which is a fairly important thing, don't you think? I mean, why play Warhammer if you're not into Warhammer?