Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It didn't happen. That story's over.
There was a Superman Beyond flying around with the rest of them, but it was nothing to get excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It didn't happen. That story's over.
There was a Superman Beyond flying around with the rest of them, but it was nothing to get excited about.

I know it didn't happen. I just read issue 16. I just was thinking that if that Lord Superman hint was legit, maybe it's for an upcoming story-arc. I didn't know if it was legit or not since the panel where he says "That's Lord Superman to you." is from a prior comic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Sure, that was less "lol I'm a dummy who can't talk about television shows or adaptations" and more a "I am prepared to believe that there is some sort of subtle shading or criteria I am missing as I am not an expert on the modern teen drama zeitgeist" but lol and yet

quote:

edit: I didn't read 'Archie as a brooding CW teen soap' rub my hands together going "How deliciously delightful" as a fan on the spot. I'm in my 30's and haven't watched a soap since Dawson's.
The 'This is Archie?!' aspect is there. It's a fun flavor for the show (just like in that horror comic line they do,) but it works for it's self, which is why it's good (just like with that horror comic line they do.)
Agree to disagree I guess? Though AND YET

quote:

Very sorry for not being clear that incongruity doesn't work in 100% of cases. I would like to avoid your wrath if possible. But I think weird ideas work out well often enough that it's silly to get as worked up as that guy in the face of it.
Getting worked up on the face of it isn't very productive no but "Thing seems bad" "Actually, thing is good" isn't really a great meeting of the minds but WHATEVS

Some people express much more delight and seem very predisposed to loving incongruity in all its beautiful and splendor'd forms, and their response to disliking it is "yes, but incongruity!" so I apologize for taking your statement to mean that incongruity is fun and funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, it can be, so here's to weird Snagglecock. May it actually work out as 'good comic'. Here, here!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 8, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's to the upcoming MAD Magazine issue #544! Perhaps it will be the best issue ever! Huzzah!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hmmmm. Classic Thawne is back.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/829420817398300672

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought Thawne already came back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He did.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was the N52 version, that one in the cover is the Pre Flashpoint version

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hate DC multiverse/timeline bullshit. Which is of course to say, I hate comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You don't know that they are not the same person. Nothing on that cover says otherwise. The only reason his costume was different in N52 was because they'd forced a TEEVEE suit onto Barry so he had to mirror it.

And just to rub it in that you are wrong some more, the image you posted clearly has the over detailed parts of the suit that Barry's has and not a clean unbroken body suit. Oh and the belt is different. And where are his boot wings?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Isn't Thawne in Iron Heights right now?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, plenty of good issues today.

Okay so like, someone has to say it and I'm gonna say it and I hope everyone is wearing some kind of diaper right now for differing reasons per poster, but: RHatO is actually a pretty good book right now. Top-tier must-read? No, but pretty good. I do not think that Jason Todd is literally the worst comic book character anymore which is something of a major act of God.

After a pointless filler off-week, Hal Jordan and the GLC is back to form with some great scenes and bombastic action. I can't really parse Hal and Kyle's relationship in this book, though...is Venditti trying to depict them like they dislike each other, or something? Is it more of a friendly, brotherly rivalry? I'm just catching this weird faint attitude of "Ugh, what a douchebag amirite?" during their scenes and I'm not super sure what the book is going for, here.

I'm having a little trouble getting too engaged with Batwing and Azrael's little shenanigans in Detective Comics, which is why it's probably a good thing that most of this "special" issue was about Cassandra Cain instead. I don't know much about Luke Fox, and I do like his design a lot, but the whole "faith versus reason" conundrum is so overdone at this point. I can't help but zone out about it. Cass's story is more interesting, though probably retreading a lot of ground for anyone into her character, and (ironically?) long-winded and wordy.

I liked this week's Wonder Woman more than the last two; a lot of new information and ideas to process. Some mysteries solved, more brought up. The art felt very reminiscent of Mike Wieringo in a good way. So was it even the real Ares who Diana fought in Year One? Did Phobos and Deimos merely combine with their father (um ew) to give him some extra juice (UM EW) during that encounter? Or were they (and maybe others) merely impersonating him, which explains why the lasso shattered him into all those different animals? That would certainly open up the real Ares to be the one chained to the tree which throws most of my current theories out the window. Again. :sweatdrop:

I'm really getting into New Super-Man now, and I kinda love that last page reveal? It's just ballsy and interesting enough in a metatextual sort of way, like if Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison had a butt-baby together, except that I wouldn't trust either of those fools remotely enough to handle this particular sort of story. Really, there's probably not any writer out there I'd trust with this concept other than Gene Luen Yang, and even then it only sort of works in this book because of the clear commentary context and how the rest of the book sets it up. We also get some cool mythology on how Kenan's powers are actually working, which leads to a cool revelation about that "S" on his emblem.

So. Action Comics. Look, the whole "Trials of Lex Luthor" arc or whatever it was called...okay, it was pretty much poo poo and should very strongly be considered for the very worst storyline Dan Jurgens has ever had. It was just boring, badly-written tripe. But the current arc seems to be a bit more about what anyone would actually read this book for -- solving the mystery of the other Clark Kent and all that stuff -- and seems...fine?...solid?...even kinda fun?...for now. Hopefully it stays that way and doesn't start pooping on itself like the other arcs did.

Titans was fine. Herald and Bumblebee don't really push my nostalgia buttons...they must have been, like, way classic Teen Titans or something 'cuz I don't remember much of them at all from the 90s or 00s onwards. Booth is back on art, but he's not too bad here other than the sameface problem and one super awkward Donna pose.

Justice League vs. Power Rangers is a delight. It's just about everything you might hope for in a comic about Power Rangers crossing over to the DCU.

e: Oh geez I forgot about JLA: Rebirth. Yeah that was fine too. Just a big ol' introductory "gather the troops, here's the mission statement" issue. I feel like Black Canary was kinda just being a dick to a lot of characters for no real reason, though? Got a kick out of Ryan's silly homemade costume.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my customers thinks Other-Clark is Superboy Prime.

:shudder:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Regarding Detective Comics, I'm glad they wisely decided to rebirth Lady Shiva and remove the weird green costume and dinosaur hair.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Rhyno posted:

:getin: yessssss

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah that's ultimately /co/'s take as well, Every issue of Action Comics now is PRIME TIME. And looking at his reactions... gently caress it's hard to argue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Yeah that's ultimately /co/'s take as well, Every issue of Action Comics now is PRIME TIME. And looking at his reactions... gently caress it's hard to argue.

What is /co/? Also I really hope it's not SBP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

What is /co/? Also I really hope it's not SBP.

Comics and Cartoons board on the 4chins.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

What is /co/?

4Chan.

I hate Superboy Prime because his concept is pretty great but he's been nothing but obnoxious and impossible to relate to.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hehe
https://twitter.com/cullenbunn/status/829447304256090113

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why the hell do you guys read 4Chan?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I used to read it, and pretty much only looked at storytime threads where somebody would post a full comics/storyline, and now I just feel bad about having read so much stuff for free on there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's about what I'd expect to hear from the mouth of anyone that liked Lobo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Half this forum is secretly Nazi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Lol secretly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Hey Skwirl

Hail Hydra

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

For /d/ , obviously.

When I was going through a toku phase I read a lot of /m/, the board for mecha and related stuff

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

For /d/ , obviously.

Stop!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Hey Skwirl

Hail Hydra

This is the DC thread, you can't use Cosmic Cubes as an excuse, you need to reboot the whole thread.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

trap sprung way to prove we all know what /d/ is

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

trap sprung way to prove we all know what /d/ is

I've been a deep cover mole for the mods this entire time. If I say something and someone agrees, they know to put them on The List.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I've been a deep cover mole for the mods this entire time. If I say something and someone agrees, they know to put them on The List.

Everyone here knows you're a Nazi already.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, that's just mean. I'm gonna go punch ten Nazis! Twenty! I'm gonna set a world record.

Come on, really, that just hurts my feelings.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 9, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So....yeah ANYWAY, have any of you degenerates been keeping up with Earth 2? I stopped around the time of Convergence and they got their new Earth. Has it picked up in quality at all? Or is it still in the slow death spiral it was in before?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it's been so much more dull since Abnett got on. Makes me kinda miss the dumb explodey days of the weekly.
At least at the start of Society there was the amazing Jorge Jimenez art.

One more issue to go!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jiro posted:

So....yeah ANYWAY, have any of you degenerates been keeping up with Earth 2? I stopped around the time of Convergence and they got their new Earth. Has it picked up in quality at all? Or is it still in the slow death spiral it was in before?

.. I genuinely didn't realize Earth 2 was still going. :psyduck:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tato posted:

I really like New Super Man and all the characters that have been introduced in it, definitely the surprise stand-out of the Superman Family line. The sales numbers are getting pretty sad though so I'm not sure it's long for the world, I hope he sticks around in some capacity even if the book comes to an end.
Is it supposed to take this long for the first arc to appear in trade? Got started buying the floppies with #7 but I just got #8 and now I'm definitely planning to keep it up, maybe even get the trade for #1-6, especially if trades make a difference over at DC in keeping a book alive or at least taking another chance on it (i.e. the pleasant surprise of Midnighter's trade sales resulting in Midnighter and Apollo, although a limited series).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yikes. Yeah. Amazon says that's due out at the end of June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO continues to be one of the most solid books on the entire lineup of DC and while this issue was completely a break from the bombastic action present on previous issues, it continues with the excellent character driven moments that are now a staple of Lobdell's work with Jason. I'm particularly impressed by his take on Bizarro. Rather than being a funny take like the one on the DCYOU mini, this Bizarro is more of a tragic figure. What it makes the reference to Of Mice and Men all the more powerful.

The interesting part is the dynamic between Bizarro and Jason. Since the book was announced it was joked that this new family was a dysfunctional family and well, that is pretty much what it is. Jason has pretty much taken Bizarro as his foster son and is struggling to properly guide him. I loved the bromance Jason had with Roy but I have to admit this new direction is a brilliant one.

Still, the weak link on this issue was the art. Is hard enough to fill Soy's shoes and while Colak does a good job for the most part (in particular with the closing page), it looks, I don't know, sketchy? rushed? Certainly not at the same quality of his other works. Particularly noticeable are his faces

I mean, those two don't look even a little like Jason and Artemis.