Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Budgie Jumping posted:

I am about to play trivia in a bar. What should my team name be?

Drink America Great Again
She Persisted Drinking
Antifa/Probooze
Chapo Boozehouse
Bernie Booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Budgie Jumping posted:

I am about to play trivia in a bar. What should my team name be?

Q: The Winged Serpent(s)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That basically just sounds like 31. Which was okay.

It's an exceedingly pretty looking movie, and it's even got its own Harley Quinn off-brand. It's reminding me a lot of The Forbidden Room to be honest.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Of course it matters, it means I'm gonna be watching a show without a guy whipping monsters and vamps to death.
Seriously. Murdering things with a whip is like Castlevania 101.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's an exceedingly pretty looking movie, and it's even got its own Harley Quinn off-brand. It's reminding me a lot of The Forbidden Room to be honest.

Oh I thought you were saying he had another similar proposal for an actual Halloween III.

But yeah, I wasn't blown away by it but I think I enjoyed it more than most. It's like a do-over of House of 1000 Corpses but applying some of the stuff he's learned as a filmmaker since then.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I ran out of time and ended up going with "the fbi has had this bar bugged". Thank you all though. Many good suggestions, I'll keep them in my back pocket.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh I thought you were saying he had another similar proposal for an actual Halloween III.

But yeah, I wasn't blown away by it but I think I enjoyed it more than most. It's like a do-over of House of 1000 Corpses but applying some of the stuff he's learned as a filmmaker since then.

Yeah, I haven't seen Lords of Salem but I hear it's similarly a 'return to form,' of sorts.

I'm not bullshitting on that Guy Maddin comparison- this ain't the best horror movie of 2016, but it's easily top five.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, I haven't seen Lords of Salem but I hear it's similarly a 'return to form,' of sorts.

I'm not bullshitting on that Guy Maddin comparison- this ain't the best horror movie of 2016, but it's easily top five.

Oh I liked 31 but Lords of Salem blows it out of the water. It's his Ken Russell movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

K. Waste posted:

duuuuuude, get on that

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I heard the Lords of Salem siren and I am here.

It's extremely loving great. Thank you.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Every time Lords of Salem comes up in here I get about 5 posts deep before I realize people aren't talking about Lords of Dogtown

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Every time Lords of Salem comes up in here I get about 5 posts deep before I realize people aren't talking about Lords of Dogtown

That was really good, too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Castlevania, like many of the best video games, is a compilation of ideas stolen from other things with the only original stuff being boring as hell. The boring poo poo doesn't matter because you get to play through all the awesome stolen ideas rather than watching them. The idea of taking the actual "play" part of Castlevania seems to be missing the point.

Also I thought 31 was a considerable step down from House of a 1000 Corpses to a degree I found both confusing and extremely disappointing. I've liked every Zombie movie I've seen to at least some degree, except for 31 which I just couldn't really redeem any part of no matter how hard I tried. Every aspect felt like a bad copy of things he had previously pulled off,

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always confuse Lords of Dogtown with Dogville.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Lords of Dogtooth

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh I liked 31 but Lords of Salem blows it out of the water. It's his Ken Russell movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

duuuuuude, get on that

Added to my pedantic watchlist:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Castlevania, like many of the best video games, is a compilation of ideas stolen from other things with the only original stuff being boring as hell. The boring poo poo doesn't matter because you get to play through all the awesome stolen ideas rather than watching them. The idea of taking the actual "play" part of Castlevania seems to be missing the point.

The play part being adapted would be boring yeah, because you can't really make a movie out of platforming, but the basic premise as an action-horror series done less like Resident Evil or Underworld or Van Helsing and more... ugh, "gritty" could be cool. I'm sure they're looking at the success of Daredevil here.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I'm offended on like 20 different levels right now. It's impressive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Added to my pedantic watchlist:

I've been meaning to watch Hard To Be A God.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

The play part being adapted would be boring yeah, because you can't really make a movie out of platforming, but the basic premise as an action-horror series done less like Resident Evil or Underworld or Van Helsing and more... ugh, "gritty" could be cool. I'm sure they're looking at the success of Daredevil here.

It's animated and inspired by 80s and 90s anime OVAs (iirc). It'll be rad as poo poo, especially if they include some of the more impressively bonkers stuff from the games like the castle being capable of time travel and Dracula being buddies with the Grim Reaper

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I'm not saying they should aadapt the playing part because that wouldn't really work, it's just that the play party is what people like about the series and what's left for a movie isn't really worth all that much.

Like the reason the Silent Hill movie worked as well as it did (thigh it still had major problems) ear because the main appeal of the series isn't really in the gameplay anyways. That isn't to say the gameplay doesn't have some appeal, but the atmosphere is the star of that series and that can be transferred.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm not saying they should aadapt the playing part because that wouldn't really work, it's just that the play party is what people like about the series and what's left for a movie isn't really worth all that much.

Like the reason the Silent Hill movie worked as well as it did (thigh it still had major problems) ear because the main appeal of the series isn't really in the gameplay anyways. That isn't to say the gameplay doesn't have some appeal, but the atmosphere is the star of that series and that can be transferred.

...you just do action sequences where the gameplay would ordinarily be. This isn't that hard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's animated and inspired by 80s and 90s anime OVAs (iirc). It'll be rad as poo poo, especially if they include some of the more impressively bonkers stuff from the games like the castle being capable of time travel and Dracula being buddies with the Grim Reaper

Oh snap, it's animated? Well poo poo, even easier to adapt. I'm a lot more interested now.

Has there not been any Castlevania anime before now, though? Seems crazy the two hadn't overlapped already.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Once again, I'm not saying that the problem is that they need to replace the gameplay, the problem is that the main appeal of Castlevania is something movies aren't capable of and what's left isn't really that interesting or original.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Once again, I'm not saying that the problem is that they need to replace the gameplay, the problem is that the main appeal of Castlevania is something movies aren't capable of and what's left isn't really that interesting or original.

Man I'm sorry your sense of fun is apparently broken and you can't find anything interesting about the premise of a dude beating the gently caress out of the entire Universal Monsters lineup + the actual Grim Reaper

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been meaning to watch Hard To Be A God.

Hard To Be A God is awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw that. It was called Van Hellsing. It wasn't very good.

Getting indignant over someone thinking a video game adaptation isn't really a very good idea, given that they are pretty much never good ideas for the reasons I went into, seems odd to me. Thinking it's not gonna turn out very well seems like a safe bet.

Oh well, can't be as bad as Castlevania Judgement, something that on paper sounded good but turned out terrible​ because of a basic misunderstanding of what the actual appeal of the series is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There is a great film version of Van Helsing, it's called Brides of Dracula

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

Hard To Be A God is awesome.

Is the book worth reading?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Drink America Great Again

I wish Budweiser used this in their Superbowl ad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I coulda sworn Warren Ellis said he was writing a Castlevania cartoon a decade ago, but it was only gonna be released in Japan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Warren Ellis' recent James Bond comics have been pretty cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/hateshaliek/status/829097929080123392

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There is a great film version of Van Helsing, it's called Brides of Dracula

gently caress yeah.

Cushing taking out Liberace Dracula with the blades of a windmill is maybe my favourite Hammer Horror moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Warren Ellis' recent James Bond comics have been pretty cool

I need to check those out then, he's one of my favorite comics writers. He's got this weird thing where half the poo poo he claims to be working on never appears, but he's got a huge body of work that he keeps adding to. It's like if Guillermo Del Toro made 3 indie flicks without announcement in between the movies that actually got made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

gently caress yeah.

Cushing taking out Liberace Dracula with the blades of a windmill is maybe my favourite Hammer Horror moment.

My favorite bit is when he brands his own loving neck to cancel out a vampire bite

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

gently caress yeah.

I like their first encounter where Cushing hands him his rear end and dude decides it is time to run like hell.

Cushing Van Helsing sees non Lee vampires and feels confident in whooping their asses in hand to hand combat

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just back from a screening of John Wick 2 -- holy poo poo... amazing -- everything great about the first is ramped up big time here! Ruby Rose is a little weak... but everything else really comes together.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My favorite bit is when he brands his own loving neck to cancel out a vampire bite

Glamorama26 posted:

I like their first encounter where Cushing hands him his rear end and dude decides it is time to run like hell.

Cushing Van Helsing sees non Lee vampires and feels confident in whooping their asses in hand to hand combat

So drat good. I love how much vigor Cushing has doing even basic stunts. He puts it all out there.

Brides is great and would be my favourite Hammer Dracula film if it also had Lee in it. As is, the original barely takes the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Egbert Souse posted:

What I think is ruining things, at least for Catholics that should know better, is the way they're controlling with the pro-life movement. It's always the first thing to be in defense of the outright fascism the Republicans are installing.

Really Catholics should go back to the days when they were pro labor unions and pro helping the before the drat Evangelicals came and used abortion as a way to turn a lot of them against the flock. It was really telling when I told my coworker that I'm a Catholic and pro choice because ultimately there is no solution to abortion since its going to happen regardless, but you know what will mitigate it? A loving solid safety net and easier access to birth control and no black market demand for alley way abortions. I was told that this was comforting to hear from someone who wasn't religious. (Though he is one of those Bill Maher Atheists when it comes to Islam).

Another thing wrong with this country was that it was founded by people with an awful work ethic built on the idea that work should be miserable. I much prefer the Catholic work ethic of 2 hour long breaks/naps and fish fry fridays. Another notch in Catholicism is our churches aren't boring looking and with all the statues and icons you can focus on those for a whole hour and come up with your best ideas via day dreaming.

• Locked thread