Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah i lasted about 30 seconds

You missed the part where Kevin Jones names "I don't want to miss a thing" as one of his favorite Aerosmith songs and then begins singing it.

edit - and now they're doing Don't Stop Believing. Ugh.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mandatory lesbian posted:

in watching the video i mean, before you try to own me with a sex joke!!!!

Relax, it would literally never occur to us to make a joke implying you'd had sex.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Does the Cowardice bug on MODO still work and did anyone ever confirm if it's because the card has 'dice' in its name? I want to know so bad. I'm enthralled by the possibilities of just how terrible MTGO's code might really be.

This is super late but my guess is that it's the only card with 'rdice' in its name or text, that's the name of something related to rolling dice, and that modo reads and tries to execute text that it shouldn't

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Allstone posted:

This is super late but my guess is that it's the only card with 'rdice' in its name or text, that's the name of something related to rolling dice, and that modo reads and tries to execute text that it shouldn't

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

Watch the first 3 minutes of this video. Whitest poo poo you've ever seen .. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120618996

"Professional magic players get tired playing 12-hour work shifts", but so do professional truck drivers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

If you get caught cheating, unintentional or otherwise, apologize and move on. Don't do things like this.

https://twitter.com/Bigwar d28/status/829344362182086656

I mean, cheating implies intent. I'm not going to read any of that because I don't care about the perception of that one random dude, but MTG has had a toxic community for a long time, especially when it comes to bizzaro hero worship/enemy hate on the Pro Tour scene.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Watch the first 3 minutes of this video. Whitest poo poo you've ever seen .. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120618996

Holy poo poo. I am still cringing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Allstone posted:

At this point the only thing that surprises me about MTGO is that there hasn't yet been a bug so bad it allowed people to duplicate cards are make infinite event tickets or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

At this point the only thing that surprises me about MTGO is that there hasn't yet been a bug so bad it allowed people to duplicate cards are make infinite event tickets or something.

I'm sure there is but if you knew about it you would quietly make money and not blab about your golden goose.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

There has been more than a few rumors and even mentions on glassdoor that employees with MTGO access have made money on the side selling cards.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Entropic posted:

iirc, there was a bug for a couple hours that gave Gideon, Ally of Zendikar as a pre-release bonus instead of Oath of Gideon. Pretty sure it was foil too, not that foil means much on Modo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gave the Gideon card instead of the avatar, I want to say? But maybe you're right and it was the Oath.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

Gave the Gideon card instead of the avatar, I want to say? But maybe you're right and it was the Oath.

It was this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

It was this.

I regret not getting in on this while the getting was good.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
A quick reminder that judges are not in a court of law and treat it as such; our rough rule of thumb for issuing Cheating is "more sure than not" rather than incontrovertible proof.

Sure, this means we sometimes DQ folks making honest mistakes, but :shrug:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

I would wager that this has both happened and the fear of it happening is why the account back end is such a glorious mess.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

There has been more than a few rumors and even mentions on glassdoor that employees with MTGO access have made money on the side selling cards.

given how poorly wizards pays tech professionals for the seattle area i'd be shocked if they weren't

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Rules questions:

Quicksilver fountain: if the board is all islands + a hallowed fountain, will the end step trigger clear the flood counters? I'm not certain if the ability is looking for sub-type island or Island name.

If you flood a darksteeel citadel does it lose the artifact super type?

If you flood a legendary land and the controller has another island play, does the legendary one get sacced or do there need to be two legendary lands turned into islands?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Molybdenum posted:

Rules questions:

Quicksilver fountain: if the board is all islands + a hallowed fountain, will the end step trigger clear the flood counters? I'm not certain if the ability is looking for sub-type island or Island name.

If you flood a darksteeel citadel does it lose the artifact super type?

If you flood a legendary land and the controller has another island play, does the legendary one get sacced or do there need to be two legendary lands turned into islands?

Trigger looks for Island subtype, so it'll clear 'em.

Yes, still an artifact.

They're still called what they're called, they're just Legendary Land - Island. Non-basic, but retaining supertypes such as artifact if there's a Mycosynth Lattice or whatever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Just a reminder to never ever spreading seas a legendary land.
Specifically because they can just play another one and then you lose islandwalk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The buyouts for chalice happened 4 days later than I imagined it would but here we are. I imagine this is as cheap as it will be for a while.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mfcrocker posted:

Sure, this means we sometimes DQ folks making honest mistakes, but :shrug:

I don't really think this is the worst thing at a GP/PT tbh. If you're going to play at a large tournament then you should know how to play without making mistakes in your favor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/return-nationals-and-changes-grand-prix-2017-02-09

Big changes

Trials are being taken away from stores and moved to GP's.
Old PTQ's are coming to sunday's at GP's.
WMCQ is back to standard for 2017

WOTC wants people to show up to GP's it seems.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sickening posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/return-nationals-and-changes-grand-prix-2017-02-09

Big changes

Also the return of the Nationals.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Big changes

So $100 (with no mat) GPs now?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So that's bad news for stores?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

So that's bad news for stores?

Only for stores that had success with trials. Some stores in my area had a lot of success with them despite byes hardly ever being a relevant prize for most players. There may have been a downward shift once they made them regular rel though.

It does seem that all 3 days of a GP are more relevant though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would go to a GP if there was one in my state

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Huh. I know GPT attendence was definitely flagging at my LGSs, but that was more due to Standard attendance in general waning.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think the store GPTs could have been a problem if too many stores did them, leading to too many people getting byes, and they don't want that.

On the other hand, I've also won GPTs and never went to any of the GPs. Very, very few people would be willing to travel outside of the country to go to a GP. Taiwan gets a GP every other year, so unless you have the money to burn to travel around to Japan and around a few ASEAN countries, you are SOL for big tournaments besides the WMCQs and PTQs. That's why there are only 2-3 Taiwanese players on the Pro Tour.

What is the difference between a WMCQ and Nationals? Aren't they really the same thing?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I think the store GPTs could have been a problem if too many stores did them, leading to too many people getting byes, and they don't want that.

What is the difference between a WMCQ and Nationals? Aren't they really the same thing?

Yes, just different names. They have dropped from 3 of them to 1 a year though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Soul Glo posted:

I would go to a GP if there was one in my state

The closest a GP has ever come to me is a 5.5 hr drive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If GPT's allowed gave you a free future bye of your choosing it would be fine. The problem was that holding a GPT in my area (texas) for a GP a thousand miles away didn't make sense.

The old PTQ's on sunday is a big deal though. Each one can be considered a pretty major tournament on its own right. That means each GP weekend is going to be 2 big tournaments. Lets hope these PTQ's aren't all loving standard or some stupid poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Uh oh

"these events will be first come, first served and will have a maximum capacity of 225. We encourage anyone interested in signing up to do so as soon as they're committed to playing."

The PTQ's have a fine print.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: These are going to make GPs a huge hit for local stores more than they already do. GPTs were never that big but now you'll get 2-3x the amount of money-saving that always occurs for 2-3 months before a huge GP that takes away from store revenue.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No more store-level Modern 'Premier' events. GPTs gone, PPTQs need to be Standard or Limited, and Nats are Standard too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

No more store-level Modern 'Premier' events. GPTs gone, PPTQs need to be Standard or Limited, and Nats are Standard too.

PPTQ's can be modern but only during modern season. While they really are trying to push standard extra hard, cutting modern anymore at a store level is going to cause magic to tank.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

PPTQ's can be modern but only during modern season.

Are you sure? I thought PPTQs needed to match the eventual PT they were qualifying you for, and there's no more Modern PT's.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

Are you sure? I thought PPTQs needed to match the eventual PT they were qualifying you for, and there's no more Modern PT's.

Yes, I am sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Magic the Gathering: Please play standard.

• Locked thread