Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Not that I disliked the Dark Souls open'ish world design, but I really appreciate this game having bite size and smaller missions available in between the main missions. I redid one of the sub missions and it had a completely different monster layout and the quest item was in a completely different place which was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Emalde posted:

http://kotaku.com/nioh-devs-say-they-changed-co-op-so-it-wouldnt-be-too-e-1792142225

"We want players to experience getting carried super hard by other people" is all I hear

Yeah that's dumb because you can still summon players, just not your friend who is new to the level. Its so dumb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly the way Co-op works (er as far as I understand I haven't tried it) is exactly how I thought Souls should work for years. make people play by themselves/play with randos and soak it in until you finish something. Then once they beat it who cares, just let people party up and gently caress around or whatever.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

getting a lot of break attribute built up and doing simple strings into kick is allowing me to instantly guard break most mook enemies and do a finisher off the bat, often OHKOing them :getin:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can you go back and do earlier missed submissions if you take the boat in chap1

boz
Oct 16, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly the way Co-op works (er as far as I understand I haven't tried it) is exactly how I thought Souls should work for years. make people play by themselves/play with randos and soak it in until you finish something. Then once they beat it who cares, just let people party up and gently caress around or whatever.

Yeah, especially with people saying how trivial and broken the encounters are with multiple people.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Davincie posted:

can you go back and do earlier missed submissions if you take the boat in chap1

Ya, you can go back at any time

Beat centipede dude on the first try, I don't understand why anyone had trouble with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really know what's going on with that boss, it seemed completely broken when I fought it. It walked through itself, fired boulders 180 degrees behind it out of its mouth, shot poison at the wall instead of me, the list goes on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"If you're going to travel the land, you'll need lots of elixirs and arrows, so be sure to stock up!" says Tome, who doesn't sell elixirs

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
You get them from shrines, not a blacksmith.

Always offer up white/yellow equips to the shrines.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

You're not forced to play with randos. If you use the password system you can still match up with specific people even with the random encounter co-op.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, I know, but what she should've said is "If you're going to travel the land, you'll need lots of elixirs, but you're not gonna get 'em from me, chump!"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

pissdude posted:

getting a lot of break attribute built up and doing simple strings into kick is allowing me to instantly guard break most mook enemies and do a finisher off the bat, often OHKOing them :getin:

How are you stacking break attribute?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I love how the localization team appear to be excellent translators who just do not understand gameplay mechanics at all. Like, all the narrative stuff, all the descriptions of regions and history, and all the unlockable biographies are totally fine. And grammatically all of the item and ability descriptions are correct too. They just don't reflect what any of those really do.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

If you're coming in from Dark Souls: All weapons have 100% physical block. Block is good. You also have a bloodbourne dash on steroids. Dash is good. A good rule of thumb is probably block humans, but don't block gigantic demons twice your size. Also it is usually far less painful to take a hit than to block and get exhausted, especially against human-sized enemies. It's not like Dark Souls where you can spend your last point of stamina on a block of infinite damage and be fine.

Low Stance is low damage, sometimes infinite combos, a shorter ranged dash (can be turned into a roll by double-tapping) and, most importantly probably, in low stance your combo enders act as a ki pulse. Sometimes gets parry moves.
Mid Stance is better block (less ki used), a mid range dash (can be turned into a roll, see above) and usually good sweeping attackes on one of your buttons. Usually gets parry moves.
High Stance is slow, high damage. Triangle often isn't a combo, but a single strong hit. You cannot dash you can only roll. You do the most ki damage to blocking opponents. Usually doesn't get any parry moves.

this is a good post.

this game is good so far! i like William's unrepentant Naruto run. The first thing I did with my points was get the Ki-Blast from dodging with Dual Swords and its pre-req, and the shuriken upgrade from Ninjitsu. Don't get the Sacred Water upgrade from that path; I assumed it meant 'you'll start with a Sacred Water' but apparently it means 'you can hold more of them.' :v:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 9, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LawfulWaffle posted:

Drawing a connection between this William and the character from Shogun, but in one of the cutscenes in the first chapter William's at a Japanese dinner and it's kind of a party. Something that stood out to me is how dirty William looked compared to everyone else. Now, I know that he was fighting in muck and has a good reason to be dirty, but in the novel there are several parts where William looks at how the Japanese treat their hygiene, specifically in regards to taking baths, with a mix of emotions. In the book he's looking at a Japanese lady who's bathing and he thinks of his wife and children who he may never see again, but he pictures their hair crawling with lice and wearing the same clothes for a month. The only reason I bring this up to submit that William is going through this adventure not only as a foreigner, but as an incredibly stinky Japanophile who is likely wearing the clothes of someone he killed.

A hero for our generation.

This game was originally going to be a tie-in with a film about him that was based on an unfilmed Akira Kurosawa script. From what the game has been like so far I kind of hate that that movie ended up not happening or that Kurosawa wasn't able/didn't want to do it himself when he was alive (his son was going to direct the more recent version but it didn't happen for whatever reason).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how is the magic in this game compared to the Souls series? That's one thing I've been curious to see if they did right. Magic in Souls has always been pretty lacking. I haven't watched anyone that's actually used the omnyo magic though.

The omnyo mage enemies have the best voice acting.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Internet Kraken posted:

So how is the magic in this game compared to the Souls series? That's one thing I've been curious to see if they did right. Magic in Souls has always been pretty lacking. I haven't watched anyone that's actually used the omnyo magic though.

The omnyo mage enemies have the best voice acting.

If souls was "pretty lacking" for you, then you may as well consider the magic in this game to not exist at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Magic CAN be extremely powerful but it's not like you're going to be using it all the time. However for what it is if you spec in that direction when you do decide to whip it out you can wreck face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't care about using it all the time (from what I understand the game uses a charge system anyways). I was just wondering if they managed to make most of the spells useful rather than DS3 where you get tons of sorcery but its better to just cast heavy soul arrow for 99% of the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There really should be infighting, why is it when I pull enemy humans in the middle of fighting an oni or whatever they start teaming up for combos and poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There really should be infighting, why is it when I pull enemy humans in the middle of fighting an oni or whatever they start teaming up for combos and poo poo

Or at least friendly fire for the enemies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna spend every single purple crafting material I ever find trying to craft a purple Raikiri, I just know it :negative: You can't fool me, 31% chance of being purple. I know that means "you're never gonna see this, enjoy your white sword."

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't care about using it all the time (from what I understand the game uses a charge system anyways). I was just wondering if they managed to make most of the spells useful rather than DS3 where you get tons of sorcery but its better to just cast heavy soul arrow for 99% of the game.

There aren't really any "just do some damage" spells--most are debuffs, self-buffs, or weapon buffs that let you apply elemental debuffs to enemies. At least early on, I use a pretty good variety of spells, just because they're a little more situational than in Dark Souls.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is the window for parries in this game? I'm still trying to get a feel for things but I am whiffing way more than I expect. I bought the ability and am in the stance it says I need to be in

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
This game owns like hell. I just killed this funny little treasure gnome thing that was hopping around everywhere. Took me 5 minutes to get the little fucker.

Please tell me there are more of those things in the game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I shot that prick full of arrows until he stopped hopping

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

small hendren posted:

This game owns like hell. I just killed this funny little treasure gnome thing that was hopping around everywhere. Took me 5 minutes to get the little fucker.

Please tell me there are more of those things in the game.

That's a kappa and yeah there are more of them. Not as many as their Souls equivalent though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving around with dual swords and spears, this poo poo is loving amazing with the versatility and THAT GODDAMN KI DODGE HOLY poo poo, you can just be ultra aggressive.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

That's a kappa and yeah there are more of them. Not as many as their Souls equivalent though.

Hell yeah

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
So am I safe to liquidate all my preorder poo poo since it's appearance is automatically saved or is there a different mechanism for it?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm missing a Kodama in Isle of Demons...

What do I do. I can't just leave him behind.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What Onmyo magic is the good stuff? I respecced to mess around with it and I'm pretty underwhelmed with all the shots.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There can only be one true jerk

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sword users sure have it easy with how many good swords drop, also getting Raikiri super early.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there any soft cap on skills in this game like in ds? if so do we know them?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to leave missions you've started without finishing them?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

fadam posted:

What Onmyo magic is the good stuff? I respecced to mess around with it and I'm pretty underwhelmed with all the shots.

I really only like the talismans for enchanting your weapon with elemental damage and that's it.

All in all magic in this game feels really underwhelming and Ninjutsu has really nice passive abilities like Sneak Attack and the ones that lower your Ki usage while dashing and running.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks, I'll check out Ninjutsu.

Did anyone ever confirm if heavy armor provides a bonus to blocking?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Relin posted:

So am I safe to liquidate all my preorder poo poo since it's appearance is automatically saved or is there a different mechanism for it?

I'm not sure you CAN get rid of that stuff actually.

Deified Data posted:

Is there a way to leave missions you've started without finishing them?

It's some kind of branch in your usable items inventory. The normal infinite use one however will make you lose all your Amrita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the window for parries in this game? I'm still trying to get a feel for things but I am whiffing way more than I expect. I bought the ability and am in the stance it says I need to be in

The timing seems to be really tight and I think you can't parry everything. Maybe not with the first parry anyways. The later ones look like they might be able to.

fadam posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Ninjutsu.

Did anyone ever confirm if heavy armor provides a bonus to blocking?

Isn't that the toughness stat on armor? I think it says reduces how much ki damage you take when blocking. Maybe heavy armor has more of it compared to medium and light.