Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

It's a goddamn temporary fine. That's amazing.

gently caress the Big 12.

I mean on the one hand taking money away from them until they change is probably the best way to motivate them to do something.

On the other hand they're never going to be punished in any way shape or form for any of this other than settling lawsuits and that's just...ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

DJExile posted:

It's a goddamn temporary fine. That's amazing.

gently caress the Big 12.

It's not even a fine.

"Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda told ESPN that Baylor would have the opportunity to recoup any withheld revenue if it satisfied the board members at the conclusion of the review."

So they'll get the money eventually.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Why hasn't Waco been nuked from orbit yet

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

the mean lunch lady posted:

the ATF tried

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

It's a week old, but I didn't see it mentioned earlier. NCAA and Riddell getting sued over helmet safety and concussion education, with the Big 12 included as a co-defendant. Would like to hear from one of the legal goons about firms that carpet bomb with class-action suits the way this Chicago firm appears to because I haven't seen that before.

quote:

The NCAA and helmet maker Riddell are defendants in separate class–action lawsuits alleging they failed to protect football players from long–term head injuries and didn't educate them about the risks.
The lawsuits were filed Monday in federal courts in Indianapolis and San Francisco and seek damages for health care costs, lost wages and other personal injury damages. Riddell called the called the claims "meritless" and "sensationalized allegations."

The Big 12 Conference was listed as co–defendant with the NCAA. Named plaintiffs are former players Cory Brandon (Oklahoma), Kelvin Chaisson (Oklahoma), Derrick Cherry (Texas Tech), Jarrod Blake Roberts (TCU) and Joe Walker (Texas).

The suits were filed by the firm Circelli, Walter & Young of Fort Worth, Texas. The firm said it plans to file additional suits naming other college conferences as defendants.

The Riddell lawsuit alleges the helmet maker misrepresented the safety of its helmets. The firm said all plaintiffs in the cases suffer from some degree of traumatic brain injuries from multiple concussions or serious jolts to the head that don't meet the diagnosis of concussion and all were incurred while playing football.

Riddell emailed a statement to The Associated Press on Tuesday, decrying "overt lawyer self–promotion and meritless litigation." The company said such legal action "harms the game of football and the many millions of participants whose lives have been enriched" by sports.

"This latest copycat complaint, likes the ones preceding it, demonstrates little regard for the implications that sensationalized allegations have on the sport and the millions of people who benefit from it," the company added.

The Big 12 declined comment, and the NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last year the Chicago–based law firm Edelson PC filed more than 40 class–action lawsuits against the NCAA related to the handling of concussions by Division I football programs. Those complaints also named college conferences and, in some cases, individual schools.
A judge in a previous case ruled one large class–action concussion lawsuit could not be filed against the NCAA.

In the lawsuit filed against the NCAA this week, former football players allege that the governing body for college sports and the Big 12 "breached their duty to provide a 'safe environment' and specifically failed to warn players of the long–term risks associated with repeated concussive and sub–concussive hits."

The lawsuit also accuses the NCAA of "failing to educate players on head injury prevention, failing to timely implement rules of play that would limit head injuries, failing to timely implement return to play rules after concussions occurred, and failing to cover the cost of post–collegiate medical care necessary as a result of the defendants' bad acts."

The Riddell lawsuit includes former high school and college football players. It alleges the helmet maker, in its marketing, claimed a scientific study showed its helmets significantly reduced the risk of concussions compared to other manufacturers' helmets. The lawsuit said that study was funded by Riddell and that the helmet maker has been the focus of ongoing litigation as a result of its claims.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
There are apparently a lot more MSU players about to get kicked off the team, for speculative reasons.

I am going to be so pissed if Dantonio leaves because of something this summer.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

the mean lunch lady posted:

Because every time the Big XII gets on the launchpad, they blow themselves up

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

That's because they refuse to communicate with Mission Control in Houston.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 9, 2017

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Tom Mach is retiring after 41 seasons at Detroit Catholic Central. He's one of the only reasons I'm not a rotting corpse somewhere and was a hell of a coach.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

SpaceX has a test facility about 25 miles from campus, so Waco actually has first strike capability.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The American gives so much stuff to the Big 12 every year we might as well call the conference Israel.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Korranus posted:

The American gives so much stuff to the Big 12 every year we might as well call the conference Israel.

Eh, 5/10. Kinda forced.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Korranus posted:

Folks,,

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Tom Mach is retiring after 41 seasons at Detroit Catholic Central. He's one of the only reasons I'm not a rotting corpse somewhere and was a hell of a coach.

Word

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lane Kiffin got dunked on by the loving Tennessee Department of Transportation

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Lane Kiffin never saw a bridge he didn't want to burn down, so he's a natural enemy of transportation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Three Michigan State players and a coach suspended, due to a Title IX sexual assault investigation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wrong thread go a Gata bitch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Three Michigan State players and a coach suspended, due to a Title IX sexual assault investigation.

Might not be a coach. News just says "staff member associated with the football program."

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

An MSU DE also spit in the face of a meter maid yesterday. Been a hell of a week in EL.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Sparty No doesn't take an offseason break.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Never heard of him, but he sounds rad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

did he ever implement an up-tempo offense and did they call it Mach Speed

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/829828792868823041

Lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That took me a minute to catch. I need to watch the Owls video a few more times.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

"When you're a football player, they let you do anything."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Look at this rad cat

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

AsInHowe posted:

Look at this rad cat

WE NEED MORE DAAAAWGS! NOT KITTY-CATS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EChnZTJicw

related: Congrats to Coastal Carolina making the leap to FBS.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 10, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scarf posted:

How on earth does the state of South Carolina have two chicken teams?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because chicken is delicious, dammit.

Also thank you YouTubes for following up that CCU presser with more insane coach pressers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mean, I appreciate that they're leaning into the whole thing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scarf posted:

he was talking about josh norman there

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Sounds terrible but hopefully Sparty handles it as best as it can and don't pull a Baylor about it.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

This is by design. CCU's mascot is a reference to USC's.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Sounds terrible but hopefully Sparty handles it as best as it can and don't pull a Baylor about it.

I was looking up MSU's campus newsletter to see if there were more details about this. Come to find out that MSU's band director of 27 years sent text messages to a female student that creeped her right out of band and off of campus.

I'd like to think they won't Baylor this and the other investigation. We'll find out shortly if that's naive or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anals of History posted:

I was looking up MSU's campus newsletter to see if there were more details about this. Come to find out that MSU's band director of 27 years sent text messages to a female student that creeped her right out of band and off of campus.

I'd like to think they won't Baylor this and the other investigation. We'll find out shortly if that's naive or not.

There was also the campus doctor who molested gymnasts or something.

The nice thing about being a fan who didn't go to the school is that I only feel deep shame about the football program and not my alma mater.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The biggest thing pushing MSU and others is that they can get sued for not coming clean, so the magnitude is being felt everywhere. If anywhere has something to hide, it's now clearly best to just take care of it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

There was also the campus doctor who molested gymnasts or something.

The nice thing about being a fan who didn't go to the school is that I only feel deep shame about the football program and not my alma mater.

One gymnast came out recently and said the University did gently caress all about it and let it happen.

When you say band director, you mean Madden, don't you? Holy poo poo. Everything is popping off at once. University better burn a lot of stuff to the ground and actually take care of it.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 10, 2017

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Alaois posted:

did he ever implement an up-tempo offense and did they call it Mach Speed

He ran the Tight T offense for all 41 seasons. Wide receivers are for cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He ran the Tight T offense for all 41 seasons. Wide receivers are for cowards.

that's high school as gently caress and i love it

• Locked thread