Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lots of trial and error. Even if you take the class you'll still learn via trial and error attempting to follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I've got to concur with the other guy. There's so many resources online that you don't really need to pay for a class. But hey if you got the money it sounds like fun.

I started cooking in a similar fashion. I started watching Alton brown and then got a couple of his cookbooks. Good eats is right up your alley if you are the type of person who likes to post at the dead gay forums at something awful dot com. He spends time on technique and the science behind it and manages to be entertaining at the same time. Americas test kitchen is similar. I recommend both to start. Watch an episode, try the recipes for yourself. Take notes on what worked and what didn't.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Likewise, concur in re: Alton Brown. It's corny as hell, but Good Eats breaks down "gosh, that's out of my league" stuff into the basics that make it work, and then once you get confident with it, you can start experimenting.

Don't feel like you'd be a schmuck going to the class though; you'll probably learn some things. $90 worth of things? Not sure. I'd pay to watch e.g. Marvin Yan wreck up a whole chicken, even if my eyes can't move fast enough to see what he's doing, much less remember how to do it myself. If you go into it expecting a mix of entertainment and some useful tips and techniques, it could be worthwhile.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you're sitting on $90 dollars for cooking skills I'd say pick up a copy of On Food and Cooking and maybe The Flavor Bible and just try a new thing every time you have the energy and resources. That plus YouTube will more than suit your needs imo

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Guys i just got back from the grocery store and I just bought 2,5 lbs of something that is labeled as "whole pork leg". This includes the butt and the hock. I got several questions, the first one being, how do I cook it.

For now I intend to braise it. Does a leg braise any differently than say, a shoulder or a butt?

Any good pork roast recipes to suggest?

e: I might try this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Porchetta-Style-Roast-Pork-359336

Iggore fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 9, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm making dinner for four tomorrow but there've been some last minute changes. I'm not sure about my menu now, particularly the chicken. I'd appreciate any advice.

The first course will be a pre-made Mediterranean salad with creamy balsamic vinegar dressing, feta cheese, etc. Because, effort.

The main course will be; gnocchi with jarred pesto sauce; baked Brussel sprouts and butternut squash (the recipe uses a small amount of balsamic vinegar); and six sauteed boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

The chicken is the big problem. The pieces looked uniform in the package but they differ in size a lot and one of them was cut in half. I figure the easiest course of action is to cut them all into similar sized bits and sauteeing them.

But do I go with a generic Italian herb/olive oil marinade, a garlic/herb marinade from a bag, or a balsamic based marinade? And would the marinade be enough or should I set some aside to make a sauce?

Thanks for any advice.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RandomPaul, I'm going to give you an easy recipe for Pesto if you fancy trying to make your own (and you have access to the ingredients and a food processor)
Put the leaves of a really big bunch of basil (the more you have the better the flavour and colour of the pesto will be) 50g of fresh parmesan cheese, 50g of blanched almonds, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a peeled clove oif garlic and the juice of a lemon into a food processor and blend! that's it, add a bit of water if you want it looser. Also save some of the starchy water that you cook the gnocchi in and when you mix the gnocchi and pesto together if it needs a little loosening you can add some of that.

As for your chicken thighs you could flatten them out (bashing them between baking paper with a rolling pin to a uniform thickness if needed) season with salt and pepper then add some flavours such as a sprinkle of fennel seeds and rosemary before panfrying in some oil or baking in an oven. Chuck some whole unpeeled garlic cloves in the pan too to roast them then squeeze them out of their skins when soft to eat with the chicken.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Biggest Jerk posted:

More or less wanting to take my cooking to the next level, see what if I'm missing any basics as well. I'm one of those people who just started cooking without any knowledge of techniques and basically follow recipes without knowing kitchen techniques, subtle stuff that makes your food from meh to awesome. Hence I thought the class would have me covered.

You should find Good Eats and watch them all. You can probably find a lot of it on Youtube in various qualities. It's pretty drat great for an amateur cooker (and highly entertaining).

I'd suggest giving Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way a go first, as there's more of them, and he's a guy you can really learn technique from just by watching. It's a really great show.
Fast Food My Way

I'd also recommend Food Wishes for random meals, which is a really solid per recipe youtube show that is well done. His techniques are clean and everything's easy to see him do. I find him pretty amusing.

You can also just watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISr0vQhRhc, which is a great channel of fantastic rustic cooking.

Otherwise, yeah get those books, watch more poo poo on youtube, and pick two or three recipes a week you want to try making.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

RandomPaul, I'm going to give you an easy recipe for Pesto if you fancy trying to make your own (and you have access to the ingredients and a food processor)
Put the leaves of a really big bunch of basil (the more you have the better the flavour and colour of the pesto will be) 50g of fresh parmesan cheese, 50g of blanched almonds, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a peeled clove oif garlic and the juice of a lemon into a food processor and blend! that's it, add a bit of water if you want it looser. Also save some of the starchy water that you cook the gnocchi in and when you mix the gnocchi and pesto together if it needs a little loosening you can add some of that.

As for your chicken thighs you could flatten them out (bashing them between baking paper with a rolling pin to a uniform thickness if needed) season with salt and pepper then add some flavours such as a sprinkle of fennel seeds and rosemary before panfrying in some oil or baking in an oven. Chuck some whole unpeeled garlic cloves in the pan too to roast them then squeeze them out of their skins when soft to eat with the chicken.

I'll bookmark the pesto recipe for later. I can get the ingredients but the best I could muster right now for a food processor is an immersion blender.

As for the spice, I need to start getting rid of the existing spices before I can buy new ones (long story). So instead of fennel seeds and rosemary I'd have: no-salt Italian seasoning; one of those McCormick "recipe inspirations" spice kits with garlic, marjoram, and basil; or one of those McCormick "recipe inspirations" spice kits with garlic, Italian seasoning, and oregano.

I'd be happy to flatten the chicken out, but I did a poor job of explaining how it was cut by the packager. I essentially have with 5 butterfly cut thighs of varying size, 3/4ths of a small butterfly cut thigh, and the other 1/4th of that thigh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RandomPauI posted:

I'll bookmark the pesto recipe for later. I can get the ingredients but the best I could muster right now for a food processor is an immersion blender.

As for the spice, I need to start getting rid of the existing spices before I can buy new ones (long story). So instead of fennel seeds and rosemary I'd have: no-salt Italian seasoning; one of those McCormick "recipe inspirations" spice kits with garlic, marjoram, and basil; or one of those McCormick "recipe inspirations" spice kits with garlic, Italian seasoning, and oregano.

I'd be happy to flatten the chicken out, but I did a poor job of explaining how it was cut by the packager. I essentially have with 5 butterfly cut thighs of varying size, 3/4ths of a small butterfly cut thigh, and the other 1/4th of that thigh.

If they're unevenly cut then just cut them into smalller uniform cuts and then make deep fried honey butter chicken tenders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXajiO-30Ow

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Lots of trial and error. Even if you take the class you'll still learn via trial and error attempting to follow it.

Just cook a lot. It's like riding a bike. You can read 10 books or watch 100 cooking videos but until you turn the stove on...

For me part of cooking is learning what NOT to do. Every time I do a new recipe or technique I figure out "I shouldn't have done that", or "I should have done this". And usually I find that out earlier and earlier in the process. You can gently caress up hamburgers in the same way you can gently caress up pasta, everything transfers over.

Cooking isn't hard. You don't need a 4 year degree or 1,000 hours of training to make a meal that impresses your family and friends. You just can't gently caress it up that much. As long as you gently caress it up as little as possible, you're good.

When I was a kid I was always impressed that my grandmother could throw together Sunday dinner. A big chicken or a roast, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, gravy, a couple vegetable dishes... As I got older and started cooking for my own extended family for the holidays, I found out it wasn't hard to do - just don't gently caress anything up. Get your timing right. Get things to finish around the same time. Cook the stuff before hand that you can get away with. Make it the night before you can.

Imagine a hamburger, a piece of chicken, or pan of rice. There's so many ways you can go with it. You can cook them a bunch of different ways. You can gently caress them up a bunch of different ways. But cook a bunch of different ones until you know what not to do, no matter the recipe. You're going to make a lot of not-so-great food along the way, but either don't have hard feelings about throwing it in the trash or get good at just eating it anyway.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

If they're unevenly cut then just cut them into smalller uniform cuts and then make deep fried honey butter chicken tenders.

That looks delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I want that knife holy poo poo

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That knife is seriously awesome, and goddamn huge.

Also, she's 60?? Jesus. I would have pegged her as early-40s.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

That knife is seriously awesome, and goddamn huge.

Also, she's 60?? Jesus. I would have pegged her as early-40s.

Whaaaaat!?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lately when you put an item on my kitchen scale it'll register a weight and then slowly count upwards a gram or two every few seconds. Could this be a low battery thing or is this cheap scale probably finally shithoused?

Edit: e.g. tared a cup and weight out 10g of salt, it meandered up to 17g before the inactivity timer turned the display off

the yeti fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2017

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Low battery.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As far as I can tell, they're called Korean rail cast iron knives. They're actually steel, traditionally from repurposed railroad rails (but who knows now)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24cm-Rail-C...%3D330813316645

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 10, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I just assumed it's a deba with a blacksmith finish.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Drifter posted:

this woman is adorable

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm having 5-6 people over for brunch soon, what should I make? Semi-regular thing, and I did French Toast last time, just looking to keep a little variety going. If you have favorites, shout 'em out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shakshuka shakshuka shakshuka shakshuka shakshuka

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

PittTheElder posted:

I'm having 5-6 people over for brunch soon, what should I make? Semi-regular thing, and I did French Toast last time, just looking to keep a little variety going. If you have favorites, shout 'em out.

I didn't see anyone else recommend it so I think you should consider shakshuka.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm teaching in Austria and at some of the schools they're giving us the lunch that the kids get, and I have probably a dumb question. On a number of occasions I've been served vegetables as a side dish and they're really tasty, but I can't work out what it is exactly. The veg has been literally just a bowl of lettuce, peppers and courgettes, salad veg and baby carrots and broccoli, but in all cases they've had this kind of savoury and also sour flavour. Are they just slightly pickled or something? I'm assuming this is a common thing since I keep eating it but it's pretty new to me. There hasn't been any obvious dressing any time

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

I'm teaching in Austria and at some of the schools they're giving us the lunch that the kids get, and I have probably a dumb question. On a number of occasions I've been served vegetables as a side dish and they're really tasty, but I can't work out what it is exactly. The veg has been literally just a bowl of lettuce, peppers and courgettes, salad veg and baby carrots and broccoli, but in all cases they've had this kind of savoury and also sour flavour. Are they just slightly pickled or something? I'm assuming this is a common thing since I keep eating it but it's pretty new to me. There hasn't been any obvious dressing any time

Might be tossed with sesame oil, or steamed with fish/soy sauce or balsamic/rice vinegar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know if this is a very popular dish on these forums but I think shakshuka is a pretty good option

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

for an unconventional alternative, please consider the tomato-based egg dish known as shakshuka

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't know about you, but I think the biggest wow factor and bang for your buck you can get when entertaining is Egg Benez,rkgjadb.ab a.,ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

this is soupspect, not an assassin. make shakshuka

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Quiches are really good, too, but maybe not as tomatoey...unless you add some sun dried stuff in there. :shrug:

Make both, and use the quiche to sop up the shakshuka instead of regular bread.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chemmy posted:

Low battery.

Yah that's what I was thinking, I put fresh ones in and no change.

It turns out on the Amazon review page for this scale (Ozeri zk013 iirc) is full of reports of this behavior and other inconsistencies, so I'm gonna write it off as being a lousy piece of equipment. At least it was cheap :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any thoughts on these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5wc6WQCdw

Seems like an interesting enough idea. Not gonna buy one but was just curious about it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That Works posted:

Any thoughts on these?

Seems like an interesting enough idea. Not gonna buy one but was just curious about it.

Idk if you plan on cooking in places where you might be assaulted but otherwise please keep guns out of the kitchen tia

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well for starters I have no idea how that would aid in making shakshuka.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
One lazy Saturday morning before a trip to the range, mom mentioned at breakfast that she wasn't going to use the nonstick pan that she'd used for the eggs anymore; the teflon was flaking so she didn't trust it and was going to toss it and get a new one. Dad and I looked at each other and there was one of those spark-of-comprehension "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" moments.

It turns out they don't go 'ding' when you hit them with 9mm FMJ, they just get holes in them. So if you do encounter someone with that pistol and sight in your kitchen, don't expect worn T-Fal to protect you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

Any thoughts on these?

I guess I never really thought about it before, but I think now I know where the phrase "Like a hot gun through butter" comes from. Could be useful, but I'm a big fan of Alton Brown's philosophy of only have multi-taskers in the kitchen. I'd give it a hard pass.

I'm glad my mom never had one in the kitchen. Getting pistol whipped for trying to sneak a cookie before they've cooled would have been way worse than a wooden spoon rapping my knuckles.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 11, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh poo poo lmao I got this confused with the "general questions" thread in TFR.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That Works posted:

Oh poo poo lmao I got this confused with the "general questions" thread in TFR.

Funny that.. I went to the range the other day and opened my gun case and wouldn't you know? My spatula was in there instead of my glock 17! :xd:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

And the enamel cracked on my lodge Dutch oven...it's about a dime size chip on the inside bottom of the oven...

Thinking about spending cash on a staub or le creuset if they have stronger enamel or maybe something else-ideas? I have had this thing for about seven years so I've gotten some life out of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sex swing from IKEA posted:

And the enamel cracked on my lodge Dutch oven...it's about a dime size chip on the inside bottom of the oven...

Thinking about spending cash on a staub or le creuset if they have stronger enamel or maybe something else-ideas? I have had this thing for about seven years so I've gotten some life out of it.

Don't those come with lifetime warranties? You should be able to get Lodge to replace it as long as you have a proof of purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't those come with lifetime warranties? You should be able to get Lodge to replace it as long as you have a proof of purchase.

Looks like you're correct-thanks! I'll reach out to them, hopefully it doesn't involve shipping this thing back because that might get expensive.