Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lol welcome NZ to the collapse.

we all float down here :unsmigghh:

Lol and now our foreign affairs ministry is setting up a 24/7 task force to deal with the trump administration hahaha wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i tried to say "hey maybe you shouldn't tell all vets that you're going to murder them if you want to win elections" and apparently that was abhorrent to D&D thread. oh well i tried and quickly learned why you don't post in D&D

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

i tried to say "hey maybe you shouldn't tell all vets that you're going to murder them if you want to win elections" and apparently that was abhorrent to D&D thread. oh well i tried and quickly learned why you don't post in D&D

Hahaha. What was this in reference to?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
they were just doing the usual ALL SOLDIERS ARE BABY KILLERS routine and I fell for it when drunk

i didn't even care but then some dude made a parachute account like 3 days later to prove my point basically idk its weird how everyone hates bannon but wants to be pol pot

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
D&D's never been great, but the election didn't help as a bunch of regulars who toxxed for Hillary got perma'd and more than a few of the people who remained and didn't migrate to C-SPAM are hard-left marxists actively plotting the revolution from their computers (Granted they've always been there, but a bunch of them took the election results as vindication and now they're both more prolific and even more insufferable).

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Dipshits love authoritarians, right, left, whichever.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i didn't even care but then some dude made a parachute account like 3 days later to prove my point basically idk its weird how everyone hates bannon but wants to be pol pot

when chomsky starts apologizing for bannon, D&D will magically shift

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why dont these alleged good d&d posters that were permabanned just buy a new account with their old name 2.0 or whatever?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
In more positive current events, the new Always Sunny was godamn wonderful.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like, a tend to vacillate between "everyone is ironic posting" and "everyone is being sincere" depending on my mood or whatever but that poo poo is just insane. I tend to lean towards the marxist side myself but lol IDK I just start imagining a bunch of autistic weirdos either way and feel better regardless.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why dont these alleged good d&d posters that were permabanned just buy a new account with their old name 2.0 or whatever?

Theyd rather make an offsite or whatever.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

like, a tend to vacillate between "everyone is ironic posting" and "everyone is being sincere" depending on my mood or whatever but that poo poo is just insane. I tend to lean towards the marxist side myself but lol IDK I just start imagining a bunch of autistic weirdos either way and feel better regardless.

I try to serious post in GiP and shitpost in C-SPAM, but cross-referencing the Trump thread to this one is a good way to get breaking news in here.

D&D has been utter poo poo for years now and no amount of adding moderators of differing political views is ever going to change that.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

In more positive current events, the new Always Sunny was godamn wonderful.

it's always sunny is a drat consistent show.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

redneck nazgul posted:

I try to serious post in GiP and shitpost in C-SPAM, but cross-referencing the Trump thread to this one is a good way to get breaking news in here.

I read the D&D poo poo and try to quote poo poo here just because I know people don't keep up and that thread is usually on the spot with poo poo like that. I haven't ventured into CSPAM much post election because I dont even know whats going on there

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I read the D&D poo poo and try to quote poo poo here just because I know people don't keep up and that thread is usually on the spot with poo poo like that. I haven't ventured into CSPAM much post election because I dont even know whats going on there

C-SPAM, as far as I can tell, is a decent mix between "The revolution's not going to happen from this keyboard, let's make poo poo happen and donate money to charity" and "welp, we're all hosed, get drunk/high and laugh about it", with almost none of the D&D "well, if you had ever actually read marx, you'd know that all private property is actually a rape of the worker, which i strongly emphasize with because like the poor russian proletariat, i too am kept down by the bourgeosie because i can't afford to move out of my parents' basement and they only buy two packs of totinos when they go to the grocery store on tuesdays" horseshit.

There's decent resources in there for getting involved in local politics, they stream mostly terrible movies in the evenings, and I don't ever recall anyone ever seriously poo poo-talking people who served in the military.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe i'll give it a go but if its just endless gifs of chvrches i'm peacing out quick

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maybe i'll give it a go but if its just endless gifs of chvrches i'm peacing out quick

In trying times like these just get a Raspberry Pi install Retropie and get a 128gb MicroSD card and I dunno it's just been a nice distraction from all this crap.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i've been thinking of giving raspberry pi a go and maybe we could step into the dfac to discuss things to do with it further :)

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In trying times like these just get a Raspberry Pi install Retropie and get a 128gb MicroSD card and I dunno it's just been a nice distraction from all this crap.

my raspberry pi is pretty much exclusively a fox sports go streaming machine until I can steal my roku back from my roommates

goddamnit i need to watch hockey bros

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i've been thinking of giving raspberry pi a go and maybe we could step into the dfac to discuss things to do with it further :)

I highly recommend it. Pm with any questions.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/europe-jobs-economy-youth-unemployment-millenials.html)profiled a bunch of 20-30 somethings in Europe who were having a hard time finding permanent employment. While I can't say all the subjects had the most ideal backgrounds (I mean there's a person who studied Art History and another in Social Policy), they did include a doctor, scientist, and accountant. It's often pointed out the high costs of retaining a permanent employee, mainly in worker benefits and protections (business unfriendly policies, anyone?).

Seems like the companies fall into two pools: those unsure on hiring candidates, and those exploiting the system explicitly only hiring contractors. I wonder if European companies, in seeking to remain competitive with US practices, are adopting them.

This article may have only found people who were unemployable exceptions, but it also has me concerned about the role of education. Students are given a long time to select their major, often weighing the pros/cons between their passions and current industry trends. This is unsustainable because there's no way to know the future in 10-20 years. Of course the sensible thing is to only study skilled trades (accounting, engineering, etc.) but of course that's the role of trade schools and certifications, not a research university. You could also tell these millennials to get over themselves and grow up (as they are the whiniest generation), but that's a great way to wreck a demographic's mental health. I think the discontent stems from the expectations one has for their career and failing to their investment in education come to pass.

It's bad enough that they get to worry about career fulfillment, but here we also have healthcare costs and student loans. If they can't fix it there, how can we do anything in the US?

Sorry for the words I'm still trying to figure out my position on this as I'm writing:
- do we want the same amount of education/training and keep worker protections? (security from automation, but fewer jobs on the whole)
- how about fewer worker protections and more education/training (more qualified jobs but less stable)

; and drat we should have a thread for labor/workforce issues but if this is in D&D I'll probably just stop posting

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
did the european baby boomers loving pillage their economy as bad as they did in america?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

drat man that was loving amazing

Rated PG-34 posted:

Sorry you got scammed by the elites like so many others.

Regardless, soldiers, like cops, are class traitors and I'm ok with their purge in the coming class war.

VitalSigns posted:

On the other hand we want the soldiers and the police on our side in the coming class war, so infiltrating them and recruiting them to our side by teaching them class consciousness is probably a better bet than telling the people with all the heavy weaponry "hey the first thing we're going to do if we take power is execute you and your families for political crimes".

Like I want to think these are whatever passes for joke posts there but it's D&D

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/europe-jobs-economy-youth-unemployment-millenials.html)profiled a bunch of 20-30 somethings in Europe who were having a hard time finding permanent employment. While I can't say all the subjects had the most ideal backgrounds (I mean there's a person who studied Art History and another in Social Policy), they did include a doctor, scientist, and accountant. It's often pointed out the high costs of retaining a permanent employee, mainly in worker benefits and protections (business unfriendly policies, anyone?).

gently caress your ideal society if it doesn't include people who understand art history and social policy

christ what is it with our generation and its fanatical obsession with purging any background that doesn't make you more qualified to be a mid-level tech or engineering employee

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Prop Wash posted:

gently caress your ideal society if it doesn't include people who understand art history and social policy

christ what is it with our generation and its fanatical obsession with purging any background that doesn't make you more qualified to be a mid-level tech or engineering employee
The background assumptions and beliefs of America are adapting to decades and decades of anyone below the 1% getting poo poo on from a great by hyper capitalism so the approach to education has changed from "Do good in school, do what makes you happy, do good in life, things are great!" to "This is what you need to do to survive in the modern economy. There's no room for that frilly poo poo"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Please... no more d&d chat.... so bad... :ohdear:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

VikingSkull posted:

It was a dumpster fire of an idea, and it was called Fast and Furious.

And run by the same people who outed an undercover for disagreeing with them in the workplace. had his house burned down and everything. Then they tried to say he burned his house down and not the gunrunners who sent his family death and HIV/AIDS threats.

Oh and the same leadership got smacked down by a judge for this poo poo right as everyone was learning about Fast and Furious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I also enjoy that people still believe that someone's undergrad major directly translates to employment in that field.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nevada-bundy-trial-idUSKBN15O18P?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Alright, let's not gently caress this one up like the Malheur refuge trial. This is the first trial of three (Bundy boys are on trial two) so should be a good test run

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hmmmm.

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/829674166664232960

I wonder how legal that is.

Video: https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/829679277033394176

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 9, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

100% legal if we base legality on the consequence that will come about.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If that's the biggest crime they commit this lovely Thursday than we should thank god for his graciousness.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829682794951475200
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829684271812067328
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829689436279603206

The president should at least get more clever and just tweet pictures of crashed A-4s at Senator McCain.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Somebody high up in the administration is eventually going to tweet "SHUT THE gently caress UP" to Donnie and it's going to be hilarious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

He's leaving out the news that 8 other children besides the American girl were killed in the "successful" raid that didn't actually kill/capture any of the targets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Somebody high up in the administration is eventually going to tweet "SHUT THE gently caress UP" to Donnie and it's going to be hilarious.

lmao at Jake Tapper

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/829692828544548867

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Oh hey, this reminds me of a really neat lecture by Ben Fountain from 2013 on the Bush years:

http://wlajournal.com/wlaarchive/25_1/fountain.pdf

The good times are back with a vengeance, baby :patriot:

(BTW, read that if you have some free time. It's really really good)

EDIT: posting the next paragraphs as well, because gently caress it:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 9, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm just waiting for the day that shim has a Kirk-level meltdown about this insane poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
See also: referring to literally every service member who dies as a "hero" to lessen the sting. Died on some useless mission getting blown up? "HEROS!" Fell off the side of a navy ship and drowned during routine training? "HEROS!" Got run over by a Bradley at NTC? etc ad nauseum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh hey, what Kellyanne did was illegal!

https://twitter.com/ChrisLu44/status/829689186949148674

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/829691526519336961

Not that anything will happen though, oh well.

• Locked thread