Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So. What exactly happened in Blaviken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I can't remember the details but basically Geralt killed a group of bandits in a village, but the villagers didn't know they were bandits so it looked like Geralt killed a bunch of innocent people for no reason.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Long story short? Geralt wanted to remain neutral in a conflict between the local mage and a very bad girl. But as always, he chose the lesser evil and stopped her and her gang before they could massacre the people of Blaviken. The townsfolk, however, only saw a witcher putting down seven men in an absurdly quick span of time. So he's exiled from Blaviken and gains that sweet little nickname.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lesser_Evil

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Slashrat posted:

Also, there's generally been less of a need for them after civilization grew to the point were it could raise armies large enough that throwing a couple of dozen poor loving infantry at monster became a feasible solution.

In the books at least there's also way less monsters to deal with, since they've been slowly hunted to extinction since the Conjunction 400 some years ago. In the game though obviously they put monsters everywhere so you have something to fight.

Nycticeius posted:

Long story short? Geralt wanted to remain neutral in a conflict between the local mage and a very bad girl.

Whom Geralt bangs the night before because of course he does.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wasn't the Wolf school attacked in the books and that's why they don't make more witchers? I remember some line about how Vesemir was just a fencer and didn't/couldn't run any more trials.

Slashrat posted:

Also, there's generally been less of a need for them after civilization grew to the point were it could raise armies large enough that throwing a couple of dozen poor loving infantry at monster became a feasible solution.
I feel like the games implied there is still just as much a need, but civilization likes to pretend there isn't. That whole bit about how monsters can live just fine in between your precious walls?

But it totally nails that medieval feeling of incredible hubris about building stone walls to contain your poo poo hole european existence.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doesn't Geralt mention in the books that it's getting harder and harder for him to find work because monsters are dying out? Bit different from the game where you can't go 5 feet without tripping over a ghoul or something.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Palpek posted:

Now download https://reshade.me/ and turn on a couple filters on top of it to be blown away. Especially the sharpening filters enhance a lot of little details. It's very easy to install and run.

Do you have any recommendations for the settings to use? I tried a few things but it ends up with a lot of dots on Geralt's face.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish we could have visited Brokilon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RatHat posted:

Doesn't Geralt mention in the books that it's getting harder and harder for him to find work because monsters are dying out? Bit different from the game where you can't go 5 feet without tripping over a ghoul or something.
Supposedly in the game there are more monsters about because the war stirred them up/gave them food.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I remember a lot of chatter about how ghouls and wraiths are basically the maggots and carrion feeders of war.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spiderdrake posted:

Wasn't the Wolf school attacked in the books and that's why they don't make more witchers? I remember some line about how Vesemir was just a fencer and didn't/couldn't run any more trials.
I feel like the games implied there is still just as much a need, but civilization likes to pretend there isn't. That whole bit about how monsters can live just fine in between your precious walls?

But it totally nails that medieval feeling of incredible hubris about building stone walls to contain your poo poo hole european existence.

In the first game, in fact.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Supposedly in the game there are more monsters about because the war stirred them up/gave them food.

I'd imagine that there are even more monsters now, considering what happens at the end of the game. Monster hunting would be a lucrative business in Skellige at least.

SirSamVimes posted:

In the first game, in fact.

Technically true, but the Salamander attack in TW1 did very little. The real damage had been done centries before.

After a horde a fanatics insighted violence against the witchers, a mob attacked Kaer Morhen. The only survivor was Vesemir. He hid under the bodies of his fellow dead witchers, IIRC. When the wolf school Witchers who were on the Path later returned and saw the devastation, well... the relationship between common folk and Witchers was never the same.

Pretty sure you do some ghost-lamp quests at Kaer Morhen in TW3 that retell that story as well.

IIRC, those same fanatics recount the events in Monstrum: A portrayal of Witchers. drat propaganda.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 9, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Did anything happen to Saskia's father after Sword of Destiny?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RatHat posted:

I haven't read the books but I saw someone quote this kind of cool bit:

quote:

"I've heard about witchers--they abduct tiny children whom they feed with magic herbs. The ones who survive become witchers themselves, sorcerers with inhuman powers. They're taught to kill, and all human feelings and reactions are trained out of them. They're turned into monsters in order to kill other monsters. I've heard it said that it's high time someone started hunting witchers, as there are fewer and fewer monsters and more and more witchers. [...] How much of the rumors about you witchers is true?"
"Practically nothing."
"And what's a lie?"
"That there are fewer and fewer monsters."
Out of context it seems like a reprise of the standard Witcher thing of "people can be monsters too" but if literal it's a nice and sobering line.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Goddamn the Autoloot mod is legit. It's constantly popping alerts for new items I've got.

It did get me into some shenanigans with some Trolls because they took my pointy rocks off my back then Autoloot took them right back. Didn't know I'd have to fight :shrug:

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, I just beat Witcher 2 right before buying and playing W3 and I couldn't imagine playing through that game again. I did Roche's missions (neck tattoo for life) and thought Act 2 of W2 was the most boring slog of a game I'd ever forced myself through. I was playing on Death March, and the part where you have to fight like 4 soldiers and a boss monster while playing as a regular rear end skeleton with no witcher powers was abysmal. And then I find out that the Iorveth quests are just that dinky little village in the mountains and that horrible twisty cave system with a totally useless and at times very misleading map... Yeah I have the perfect Witcher Game, its the Witcher 3, theres nothing left for me in those other games lol.

I like W2 more than you do but the eternal battle part you are describing is loving bullshit, especially on Dark. I can't believe that made it into the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mzbundifund posted:

I never read any of the books, but it's implied that the Wolf School witchers all deliberately lost the formulas for creating witchers so that they would have an excuse not to put any more kids through the witcher-creating process, because the Trial of Grasses was super super traumatic and they all have a lot of physical and emotion scars from it.

Add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace either doesn't know witchers have those advantages or believes witchers are actually monsters themselves, and add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace doesn't know witchers have a secret mountain castle they live at, and add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace doesn't know witchers are made from normal people, yeah I can see why they don't have people lining up to try to join.

There was a big raid on Kaer Morhen when the local populace was convinced that Witchers were evil and insidious by a group of mages, one or more of whom had been killed by a Wolf School witcher for dabbling in black magic (or so it was assumed). Vesemir mentions it at some point, as I recall. He was a trainer and the castle was raided with most of the Witchers being killed, including all of the ones that had the knowledge to make the mutagens needed for the Trial of the Grasses. That's the real reason the school basically closes, Eskel and Geralt were away at the time and I believe Lambert was actually there to see it... he, Berengar, Vesemir, and a few others were the only survivors.

RatHat posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I remember a lot of chatter about how ghouls and wraiths are basically the maggots and carrion feeders of war.

It's more that killing all of that bottom feeder crap is no longer something you specifically need a Witcher to do. Witchers were too effective and hunted down the numbers, and humanity got bold and learned how to do a lot of the hunting themselves. Hence groups like the Crinfried Reavers exist that go and hunt draconids on their own, in groups. Why pay an immigrant mutant freak when you can pay honest, hard working white person regular human to do it? They make up for their lack of efficiency and understanding of the monsters by using pure brute force to kill them.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TRIP REPORT: Playing on hard mode, I respecced fully into potions and Alchemy and for the first time really feel like how I thought being a witcher would feel like. W1/W2 really had me feeling like some kinda half-assed spellsword, like a multiclassing D&D kid who couldnt make up his mind.

Now in W3, My life is all potions and bombs and oils. I am constantly veiny and pale and my reaction time is insane. Im only lvl 13 but i have the toxicity tme slow down and health boost traits, so i just bomb a decotion after every meditation for instant toxicity and every fight is just so much fun now. i just got Moondust bombs which help A LOT, because yrden seems so finicky.

Can someone tell me what the optimum use for Blizzard potions is? Half the time I can't even tell if its triggering or not.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Re: Witchers declining

The Trial of the Grasses (where they give little kids mutagens) kills roughly 7 out of ten of all kids put through it, and they don't die peacefully. Then if they survive they have to go through Witcher training which is dangerous as well so some kids are gonna die from that. The absurdly lucky ones who survive all this get to become full time Witchers, none of whom have ever died of old age. So its not exactly a fun party time for anyone, and Geralt and his friends refuse to consider putting any child through that bullshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's bad enough putting Uma through it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Geralt also kind of seems like the only way personable enough toe hang out with people. i'm questing with lambert right now and he is looking for his pal and he seems like kind of a tool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Bust Rodd posted:

TRIP REPORT: Playing on hard mode, I respecced fully into potions and Alchemy and for the first time really feel like how I thought being a witcher would feel like. W1/W2 really had me feeling like some kinda half-assed spellsword, like a multiclassing D&D kid who couldnt make up his mind.

Now in W3, My life is all potions and bombs and oils. I am constantly veiny and pale and my reaction time is insane. Im only lvl 13 but i have the toxicity tme slow down and health boost traits, so i just bomb a decotion after every meditation for instant toxicity and every fight is just so much fun now. i just got Moondust bombs which help A LOT, because yrden seems so finicky.

Can someone tell me what the optimum use for Blizzard potions is? Half the time I can't even tell if its triggering or not.

Blizzard slows down time after killing an enemy, it only works to give you breathing space in a group fight with weak relentless enemies like dogs, ghouls or nekkers. Frenzy does a better job because that triggers off counterattacks. One of the easiest ways of handling large fights is to have superior Golden Oriole (drink it vs gargoyles) and stand inside Devil's Puffball, socketing burning and freezing runes onto swords helps too.

Make superior Petri's Philter and Tawny Owl and you suddenly have the best signs available without spending points or mutations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TenaciousD posted:

I'd imagine that there are even more monsters now, considering what happens at the end of the game. Monster hunting would be a lucrative business in Skellige at least.

Technically true, but the Salamander attack in TW1 did very little. The real damage had been done centries before.

After a horde a fanatics insighted violence against the witchers, a mob attacked Kaer Morhen. The only survivor was Vesemir. He hid under the bodies of his fellow dead witchers, IIRC. When the wolf school Witchers who were on the Path later returned and saw the devastation, well... the relationship between common folk and Witchers was never the same.

Pretty sure you do some ghost-lamp quests at Kaer Morhen in TW3 that retell that story as well.

IIRC, those same fanatics recount the events in Monstrum: A portrayal of Witchers. drat propaganda.

I always wondered why Kaer Mordan looked more like it was besieged at one point rather than just really loving old. Not to mention the fort with the dead bodies you follow the kids ghost. At first I thought it was going to be he died during training, but nope, the attack.

I'd figure most people saw Witchers as apolitical so there was no real need to go to war with them because going to war with them would be like going to war with fishermen.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The fanatics were spurred by mages, because several rogue mages had been hunted down by witchers and the rest of the mages, being dicks, decided that they didn't like not having a complete monopoly on the arcane. Their solution was to just manipulate the people into wiping out witchers for them.

Mages are dicks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's bad enough putting Uma through it.

Speaking of that, is it ever elaborated on how much that hosed up Avallach's body?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sorceresses catch a lot of flack in the Witcher universe but the reality is that every Philippa Eilhart intrigue is a child's played compared to poo poo that another Vilgefortz will come up with. Overall sorcerers are way more trouble than their female counterparts which was especially apparent in Season of the Storms where they started growing worse monsters than those present in the nature in the name of academia.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Spikeguy posted:

Do you have any recommendations for the settings to use? I tried a few things but it ends up with a lot of dots on Geralt's face.
I've been using one of this guy's presets: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1T7fiSBcf2wUHRkSlo3V18wc28/view

There are instructions inside. I've also added LumaSharpen to get a little bit more detail out of the game as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

Speaking of that, is it ever elaborated on how much that hosed up Avallach's body?

Don't think it did much, Uma's body was the subject.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fuzz posted:

Why pay an immigrant mutant freak when you can pay honest, hard working white person regular human to do it? They make up for their lack of efficiency and understanding of the monsters by using pure brute force to kill them.

I did like Vesemir complaining about how things have gotten so weird and complicated unlike the old days when it was black or white, and Geralt replies things were always complicated and terrible and he just prefers to think it used to be better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Don't think it did much, Uma's body was the subject.

Yen says that he suffered massive nerve damage after the trial, so Avallach probably isn't doing so well. Not that he would admit to it though.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Anyone have some general tips/advice for me? I've had this game for a while, but haven't gotten into it enough to get very far (I'm at the prep for the griffon). I guess I'm just finding the menu very clunky and so many items of which I don't even know what to do with most of them. Or what spells work best, and so on. I'm sure it would be a great game, just having a rough start (which I feel should be expected).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Use quen a lot at first(and keep on if you like it, but some people find it boring and cheesy) It's basically a shield that lets you take a free hit. Also fast attack, and the sidestep dodge are your bread and butter. I'm not going to say much otherwise as I'm not an expert, but stick with it. I sort of felt like you do now in the tutorial area, that it wasn't a bad game, but also didn't feel I really loved it. Once I got to velen, I died real easy, and still felt confused. When you get there, just follow the main quest for a while, you'll get some quick easy levels and also experience one of the best quests in the game. About the time I met the (very minor spoiler about a character you meet, nothing else)Crones is when I decided I love the gently caress out of that game.

e: Dance and dodge around large packs of enemies. If you start to get cornered, Aard is never a bad idea. You'll get the hang of the potion/crafting system after a bit. I'd focus on crafting the Swallow potion first, there is a quest for it at the alchemists hut in the starter area. It's your healing potion.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 9, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yen says that he suffered massive nerve damage after the trial, so Avallach probably isn't doing so well. Not that he would admit to it though.

He's also a pretty powerful mage, and in witcherverse they tend to recover from just about anything that doesn't kill them outright.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Geralt also kind of seems like the only way personable enough toe hang out with people. i'm questing with lambert right now and he is looking for his pal and he seems like kind of a tool.
I don't know how much of his back story is changed for the game, but being the son of an abusive alcoholic who is rescued from a monster by a witcher who then kidnaps him and runs him through witcher training which involves seeing nearly all the people he's growing up with dying in horrible seizures and later apparently going through the slaughter of his witcher brethren kinda excuses him for being kind of a tool.

His scenes in Witcher 3 were some of my favorite stuff though so maybe I'm biased.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TenaciousD posted:

So did they encounter a bunch of untrained witchers or are people like Geralt and Vesemir just exceptionally good at fighting and the average witcher is nothing special?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Think of every time you reloaded because you hosed up against drowners or decided to tangle with an overly-levelled monster. Most witchers can't do that.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Geralt and Vesemir are exceptionally good. If they weren't they'd likely have died on the Path long ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Staltran posted:

Geralt and Vesemir are exceptionally good. If they weren't they'd likely have died on the Path long ago.

Imlerith: Pffft, I bet I could take 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Octy posted:

So did they encounter a bunch of untrained witchers or are people like Geralt and Vesemir just exceptionally good at fighting and the average witcher is nothing special?

I think it was something like 20 "proper" witchers and 40 trainees.

I'm pretty sure that the witchers put up a fight, but unlike in the games, witchers in the books aren't unstoppable. If you outnumber them significantly, there's only so much they can do.

Plus, if you attack their fortress with trebuchets and catapults, killing whole rooms of them with debris, that's pretty effective.

Vesemir is really old and experienced (although he refuses to say how old) and he was the swordmaster at the time, the guy who trained the young witchers in swordsmanship, so yeah, I'd say that their power levels are pretty high. Plus, Geralt has had unique mutagens applied to him, which is the reason his hair is white, and his mother, Visenna, was a mage. He could have probably been a powerful sorcerer if he hadn't been a witcher.

Jerusalem posted:

Imlerith: Pffft, I bet I could take 'em

Man, I disliked that part of the game so much. Vesemir could have taken Imlerith in his sleep. How the hell is Imlerith strong enough to pin him to a wall? He could have just casted aard. The only reason they had to kill him was to move the plot along. drat it Ciri, you should have stayed in Brokilon. What a lame death for a great character.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 9, 2017