Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Russia is perhaps an extreme example, but I remember crossing the road in St. Petersburg and it felt like drivers were actively trying to kill you.

To be honest I felt the same in the UK (Margate) everybody was running to cross the streets even mothers with a child in her troller and cars were speeding when they saw a pedestrian crossing.

edit: and yeah Givi died, his whole office room blew up

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm on mobile so I can't link a source but Givi was killed by a bomb in Donbas today. He's the guy responsible for torturing Ukrainian POWs in case you forgot. Good riddance.

You mean Mikhail Tolstykh? I'm so happy if true.

If true, I hope it hurt. A lot.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In all honesty, his analysis of Poland makes me wonder if he's as off base about other countries too. Or we are indeed ruled by master diplomats who will arrange for Poland to go back to its XVI century glory days.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

You mean Mikhail Tolstykh? I'm so happy if true.

If true, I hope it hurt. A lot.
Yes, that's him, our resident torturer tough guy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, that's him, our resident torturer tough guy.

The news says someone fired a rocket into his office.

I also seem to remember the dudes from his torture video all being found shot later.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

The news says someone fired a rocket into his office.

I also seem to remember the dudes from his torture video all being found shot later.
The rocket "news" come from Strelkov's post on VK. On the other hand, the planted explosive news come from "law enforcement agencies" of DPR.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pierogi posted:

In all honesty, his analysis of Poland makes me wonder if he's as off base about other countries too. Or we are indeed ruled by master diplomats who will arrange for Poland to go back to its XVI century glory days.

Yeah, I think much of the Caspian Report is what he would prefer to happen rather than anything else. Admittedly, he puts effort into his reports but the conclusions he makes seem to rest more than anything else on wishful thinking.

Having spent time in Azerbaijan, I can understand his perspective but I really wouldn't suggest it as a general analysis.

I could go on much further obviously, but it is hard to really get into it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The rocket "news" come from Strelkov's post on VK. On the other hand, the planted explosive news come from "law enforcement agencies" of DPR.

Everything I'm reading is saying it was a rocket/launched grenade/explosive.

I think there are some errors in news reporters not knowing military speak (or perhaps translation errors?) in that some articles start out talking about how he was killed by an explosive in his office but then state that the explosive was launched later in the article.

That's all beside the point, he is dead though, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Everything I'm reading is saying it was a rocket/launched grenade/explosive.

I think there are some errors in news reporters not knowing military speak (or perhaps translation errors?) in that some articles start out talking about how he was killed by an explosive in his office but then state that the explosive was launched later in the article.

That's all beside the point, he is dead though, right?
Yeah, that's mostly besides the point, even though I'd prefer him to stand trial in Hague over being murdered in his office. Specifics of the incident are only to give food for thought as to whether if this has been internal DPR conflict, DPR-LPR conflict, or "the hand of Kremlin".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, that's mostly besides the point, even though I'd prefer him to stand trial in Hague over being murdered in his office. Specifics of the incident are only to give food for thought as to whether if this has been internal DPR conflict, DPR-LPR conflict, or "the hand of Kremlin".

I always wanted to see him tried in Kiev for being a traitor. He did serve in the Ukrainian army for a time, so I would think that Ukraine would have some kind of treason laws.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I always wanted to see him tried in Kiev for being a traitor. He did serve in the Ukrainian army for a time, so I would think that Ukraine would have some kind of treason laws.

Ukraine had a warrant out for his arrest for various charges, but oddly he was only facing 12 years in prison from what I read. Some Russian agency earlier in the day reported that it was the Ukrainian special forces that iced him, but that sounds rather unconvincing. I'm guessing internal struggle between warlords or FSB cleaning up a mess.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/RyskeldiSatke/status/829297160948690944

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ouch.

In other Eastern European military news, I saw bunch of American troops buying lunch for themselves in a local grocery store, the briefly noticed a couple hundred soldiers marching through the town on foot in full equipment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reminder that DPR and LPR leaders have been dropping like flies these last weeks. I wonder if it is internal infighting, Russia getting rid of inconvenient puppets, or Ukrainian agents.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Reminder that DPR and LPR leaders have been dropping like flies these last weeks. I wonder if it is internal infighting, Russia getting rid of inconvenient puppets, or Ukrainian agents.
I would be very surprised if Ukrainian law enforcement has hands long enough to start executing enemy officers in an active warzone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I would be very surprised if Ukrainian law enforcement has hands long enough to start executing enemy officers in an active warzone.

Well, not U. policemen, I'm thinking intelligence officers, I don't know if Ukraine has a covert apparatus to speak of.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Well, not U. policemen, I'm thinking intelligence officers, I don't know if Ukraine has a covert apparatus to speak of.
I wasn't referring to policemen either. :rolleye:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ouch.

In other Eastern European military news, I saw bunch of American troops buying lunch for themselves in a local grocery store, the briefly noticed a couple hundred soldiers marching through the town on foot in full equipment.

Not really news. We've been buying lunch at grocery stores for years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Not really news. We've been buying lunch at grocery stores for years.
:pusheen:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know if regular folks know this, but DVIDS is a U.S. Military website where our public affairs officers (and others) upload their videos/photos/news stories/etc. You can find news stories, or even just raw footage, by typing various things into the search.

https://www.dvidshub.net/

Here's a recent shot of a U.S. Soldier visiting Ukrainian Soldier in the hospital I found by just searching "ukrainian".

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/3124881/ukrainian-hospital-visit-validates-medical-mission

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know if regular folks know this, but DVIDS is a U.S. Military website where our public affairs officers (and others) upload their videos/photos/news stories/etc. You can find news stories, or even just raw footage, by typing various things into the search.

https://www.dvidshub.net/

Here's a recent shot of a U.S. Soldier visiting Ukrainian Soldier in the hospital I found by just searching "ukrainian".

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/3124881/ukrainian-hospital-visit-validates-medical-mission

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/505458/2-503rd-stack-wood-latvian-school

:patriot:

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Could be SBU, perhaps?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The last 20 seconds of that video is gold.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Could be SBU, perhaps?
Yeah, SBU, other MoIA structural units, and military special forces.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, SBU, other MoIA structural units, and military special forces.

While I am sure they are happy with the outcome, it would be a lot of risk for little effect for them to be involved.

Edit: which doesn't mean they didn't, of course.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Remember, Ukrainian forces are simultaneously a ragtag group of nazis and penal battalions AND a crack special forces team capable of carrying covert raids deep in enemy territory without being detected. Which one is it RT?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rear end struggle posted:

Remember, Ukrainian forces are simultaneously a ragtag group of nazis and penal battalions AND a crack special forces team capable of carrying covert raids deep in enemy territory without being detected. Which one is it RT?

To be honest you probably can do covert ops in dpr/lpr pretty easily if you have someone who speaks Russian and has big waddles of cash for bribes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You just need somebody with a brick of semtex (or explosives scavenged from the separatists' own munitions) and a willingness to use it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Russia calls Romania a threat and a Nato outpost. Well, we definitely are the second part.

On the one hand, it's a bit scary to be calledout by the big bad bear like that.

On the other, it's sort of a relief that we're still seen that way and not the wavering in the wind type of situation. There's some serious power struggle going on in the country these days, and it's definitely a Biggie vs Tupac situation. For now we're all west side 'cause it's the best side, let's hope it stays that way.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Saw a documentary of them being trained by the Canadians to conduct spec ops duties, sabotage and the like (and trench warfare ) but that seems a bit far fetched that they trained them for covert ops and assassination.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You left out they're also all literally gay. Get your RT propaganda right. :argh:

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'm sure the country with lots of parallel military and paramilitary groups, with different groups being trained by different foreign armies, has completely uniform capabilities across all units, and you'd have to be a Russian stooge to believe anything else. Suck it RT.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SA_Avenger posted:

Saw a documentary of them being trained by the Canadians to conduct spec ops duties, sabotage and the like (and trench warfare ) but that seems a bit far fetched that they trained them for covert ops and assassination.

My friend is over there training them now. Not spec-ops stuff, logistics and supply management stuff since that's one of the things they are worst at.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

My friend is over there training them now. Not spec-ops stuff, logistics and supply management stuff since that's one of the things they are worst at.
Well, I would say that Eastern European militaries have historically harboured some of the world's leading experts on supply "management" *tears eyelid winking*.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So the prosecutor general has sent out letters to all local prosecutors offices to make inquiries in all the local Civil Administration offices to make a list of any persons requesting certificates of status (basically a document proving you're not married) for the purposes of entering into homosexual marriages/civil partnerships outside Poland. They've already directed the civil administration offices not to issue such documents so it's curious they now want a list of people even inquiring about such things. The opposition is comparing it to the communist era operation Hyacinth which was an intelligence gathering operation by the Milicja to identify and create a register of known homosexuals. Lovely development :/

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A new MON recruitment drive incoming?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of the recently discussed Givi murder, there's a new development concerning alleged DPR infighting (wrt Givi murder), with Russians reporting both confirmation and refutation of the story.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Very smart. Saying everything is simultaneously true and false just means you're ultimately correct either way.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In slightly more depressing news, a Russian LGBT activist has gone missing on January 31, as he entered DPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That person went into areas controlled by DNR to promote LGBT rights??