Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Christ, differing opinions on modding single player games, no wonder trump is president of the united states of america.

Anyway, horizon et al look good, you can make it a little less harsh (maybe) using f4edit.

The better parts of many games are when you are scrabbling about for ammo and meds and you know any bad choice will have crap repercussions, usually at the beginning of the game.
I'm not sure how hard it would be to make a version of crafting workbenches fit with horizon, that allows you to make a small amount of ammo, daily, or use a similarly edited "northland diggers" for similar.
I dont know, as I have yet to try it, but its on my to do list if I get around to playing a new game with horizon.

otherwise, adding a stock to the 10mm mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276/

Man(and Woman)up! http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9528/ I just want to remind people about this for comedy. might even be interesting in horizons.

finally. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19224/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

turn off the TV posted:

My biggest issue with Horizon, and the reason I'm reluctant to play it, is the fact that it makes ammo scarcer. I understand the reason for this, but it makes automatic weapons even more pointless than the vanilla game, which kind of limits the variety of weapons you can use.

It'd be cool if the mod had its own version of one of those insane "adds 500 new calibers," and then geared certain calibers more for automatic and semi-auto use and adjusted the drops accordingly.

Unless, of course, the mod already works similarly, but it doesn't sound like it does.

Yea I enjoy the suffering more than is probably normal but it doesn't really seem like there is an endgame to it beyond "setup purified water stands and have excess food".

I'll probably harass him again or just make my own mod, but I'd like to see factories as really expensive "end-game" goals to work towards. Something that requires continuous dedicated effort to set up but then once you do you can just go whole hog and run around shooting miniguns and missiles all day long.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is Horizon so punishing that, say 50 hours in, I won't have enough ammo to use <my favorite weapon> consistently?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

horse mans posted:

Sorry about the opinion I had

Christ, I wasn't taking umbrage with your opinion that I do not share, I know some people are into that kind of thing. Your instructions(?) to the guy who didn't like it just read like "You're wrong, you'd like it if you weren't playing it wrong," and that irked me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21871/ More on topic, a mod where the player too can be a suicider.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smol posted:

Is Horizon so punishing that, say 50 hours in, I won't have enough ammo to use <my favorite weapon> consistently?

Yeah unless your favorite weapon is a pipe pistol/rifle.

You'll have a smattering of other ammo but not enough to use any one kind of gun consistently except pipe stuff.

You get about as much ammo for other weapons as you do for the alien blaster in vanilla roughly.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 8, 2017

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Are enemies in Horizons still spraying clip after clip all over because player is the only guy in the wasteland short on ammo or do they also have very limited ammo?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fewd posted:

Are enemies in Horizons still spraying clip after clip all over because player is the only guy in the wasteland short on ammo or do they also have very limited ammo?

I read through the Horizon patch notes and it doesn't sound like it does this.

There are mods to make NPCs use ammo, but the problem is that when they run out they often don't have melee weapons to fall back on, and it would take a great deal of work to edit all the NPCs to give them melee weapons.

It'd be a cool mod, though.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Midnight Voyager posted:

Christ, I wasn't taking umbrage with your opinion that I do not share, I know some people are into that kind of thing. Your instructions(?) to the guy who didn't like it just read like "You're wrong, you'd like it if you weren't playing it wrong," and that irked me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21871/ More on topic, a mod where the player too can be a suicider.

Your replies contributed nothing to the conversation. "Some people don't agree" is vacuously true.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 8, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Smol posted:

I'm not sure how many hours in I am but I'm level 8 and it's still the case. I'm reserving judgment however until I am further along with settlements, and dlc (first time posting any of them).

Fewd posted:

You can mod it but it doesn't work in practice because the AI is the AI and not very smart/accurate. You'll also flood yourself with ammo because even if you give the AI ~30 ammo a piece you'll get at least half of that from most enemies of you're killing them quickly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've been thinking about how to make a better ammo system, and here's what I've come up with. Two tiers of ammunition, dirty/handmade and pre-war, basically the system of Metro 2033.

Dirty ammunition is handmade after the war, and is the most common form of ammunition. It should be fairly painless to come by, like existing .38 ammo. You would need handmade ammunition for pistols/SMGs, shotguns, automatic rifles, and single shot rifles. (So maybe .38, 12 gauge, 5.56 and 7.62/.308). Nearly every ballistic weapon should be able to chamber handmade ammunition, but they should be much weaker because of it, about on par with regular pipe guns. This would allow you to have a pretty large variety of guns available from the get out instead of being forced to use pipe guns forever.

Post war ammo should largely remain as is, much more rare and much more valuable, but it'd be good to segregate automatic and semi-auto/single shot ammunition types. So assault rifles, for example, would use 5.56 for automatic versions and 7.62 for semi-auto. This would require you to add some more ammo types, but it'd allow SMGs to burn through comparatively abundant .45 Auto while keeping regular .45 rare enough that semi-auto combat rifles aren't going to have dozens of shots.

This system would be pretty good for keeping the sense that ammunition is a valuable resource that you don't want to waste on any enemy that wanders by, but also allowing for more flexibility and choice in weapon types and play style. Once I stop being lazy and look up my Nexus password I'll probably pitch this to the Horizon dev.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is the Fallout setting even really about scrounging for scarce resources though? I kinda feel like East Coast Fallout is about finally re-entering the most bombed out areas and hitting it big, and West Coast Fallout is about playing in a post-post-apoc. setting.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Fallout's East Coast always felt to me like it never got its poo poo together vs the West coast which totally did.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

looking at weapon mods before i jump back in this game, and one of my dumb pet peeves is when a pistol can switch between calibers and the .45 reciever is stronger than the 10mm receiver.

10mm is a more powerful round and is also harder to come by in the game than .45! why do you do this to me modders! :argh:

e: also i wish more guns used 5mm. I've just taken to using fo4e to switch some mod assault rifles to them.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 8, 2017

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Some of the Horizon features sound cool, but not being able to use good and fun guns sounds dumb.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

Fallout's East Coast always felt to me like it never got its poo poo together vs the West coast which totally did.

Yeah I just assume it was a lot more radioactive in the cities and people were only just re-entering them in a big way by the time of the games. Like it's more Fallout 1 than 2/NV level because the radiation was worse.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

shovelbum posted:

Is the Fallout setting even really about scrounging for scarce resources though? I kinda feel like East Coast Fallout is about finally re-entering the most bombed out areas and hitting it big, and West Coast Fallout is about playing in a post-post-apoc. setting.

I don't think that Bethesda really knows what it wants their Fallout games to be about. The game talks about the Commonwealth like it's a lot more than a dozen farms and four small towns in a sea of raiders and super mutents, but then it expects the player to personally settle and rebuild almost all of it, and its mechanics and systems are geared towards crafting and survival. It's a bit of a mess, and I really can't complain when a mod decides to emphasize compelling gameplay over whatever the lore is trying to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the majority of the US military is and was stationed on the west coast I find it hard to believe that the east coast got nuked harder. Los Angeles is called the Boneyard for a reason.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think that Bethesda really knows what it wants their Fallout games to be about. The game talks about the Commonwealth like it's a lot more than a dozen farms and four small towns in a sea of raiders and super mutents, but then it expects the player to personally settle and rebuild almost all of it, and its mechanics and systems are geared towards crafting and survival. It's a bit of a mess, and I really can't complain when a mod decides to emphasize compelling gameplay over whatever the lore is trying to do.

Pretty much. Bethesda has inherited all of the lore and added basically nothing of value to it themselves except from the highest level perspective.

turn off the TV posted:

I've been thinking about how to make a better ammo system, and here's what I've come up with. Two tiers of ammunition, dirty/handmade and pre-war, basically the system of Metro 2033.

Dirty ammunition is handmade after the war, and is the most common form of ammunition. It should be fairly painless to come by, like existing .38 ammo. You would need handmade ammunition for pistols/SMGs, shotguns, automatic rifles, and single shot rifles. (So maybe .38, 12 gauge, 5.56 and 7.62/.308). Nearly every ballistic weapon should be able to chamber handmade ammunition, but they should be much weaker because of it, about on par with regular pipe guns. This would allow you to have a pretty large variety of guns available from the get out instead of being forced to use pipe guns forever.

Post war ammo should largely remain as is, much more rare and much more valuable, but it'd be good to segregate automatic and semi-auto/single shot ammunition types. So assault rifles, for example, would use 5.56 for automatic versions and 7.62 for semi-auto. This would require you to add some more ammo types, but it'd allow SMGs to burn through comparatively abundant .45 Auto while keeping regular .45 rare enough that semi-auto combat rifles aren't going to have dozens of shots.

This system would be pretty good for keeping the sense that ammunition is a valuable resource that you don't want to waste on any enemy that wanders by, but also allowing for more flexibility and choice in weapon types and play style. Once I stop being lazy and look up my Nexus password I'll probably pitch this to the Horizon dev.

While a neat idea, this would be a mess of conflicts with other mods. I think there was a mod that lets you switch ammunition type, but if not then you have that issue well. I am kind of curious about it now though.

I think we all agree though that at some point you should still be able to use whatever guns you want. Especially if I'm single handedly rebuilding the Commonwealth. If nothing else I'll be modding factories back into Horizons at some point (when i get through more DLC) and probably just give them a high initial material cost.

Or maybe add static ammunition benches into the four faction bases to indicate there is some level of progress in the world and all these factions figure out ammo somehow. They'd be gated by MQ progression getting to that point in Horizons is not trivial (plus you still need mats to make them).

Or both.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the majority of the US military is and was stationed on the west coast I find it hard to believe that the east coast got nuked harder. Los Angeles is called the Boneyard for a reason.

It probably wasn't nuked harder, the East Coast just seems to be infested with hyper-advanced secret societies that deliberately stymie the growth of any kind of government :v:

(because Bethesda is bad)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Maybe the East Coast just ended up more irradiated long-term because of prevailing winds? :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

shovelbum posted:

I'd be curious to see how the people complaining about scrounging for ammo would react to Fallout 2, where most builds won't fire a shot until level 6, and a single 9mm round costs 5 dollars.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

horse mans posted:

I'd be curious to see how the people complaining about scrounging for ammo would react to Fallout 2, where most builds won't fire a shot until level 6, and a single 9mm round costs 5 dollars.

Combat in Fallout 2 isn't a first/third person shooter and actually supports interacting with the game world in ways other than shooting people.

I'm much cooler with not shooting in a turn-based game.

Also in general you burn much less ammo per encounter and can actually build up significant stocks of it in the mid-late game which you really can't in Horizon.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

Yeah it's a valid point, you're stuck dealing with the pipe rifle, 10mm pistol, and dealing with lovely thugs and slavers for the first part of that game, aren't you? Of course you start as a tribal in the backwoods and the game is a tour of the emerging major settlements where you see a lot more amenities than you do in 3/4.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Crow posted:

While a neat idea, this would be a mess of conflicts with other mods. I think there was a mod that lets you switch ammunition type, but if not then you have that issue well. I am kind of curious about it now though.

I thought about the ammo switching mod, but from the sounds of it it's more for player only use.

And yeah it'd be a pain to get working with other weapon mods since every single one would have to be patched for compatibility, and the levelled lists would need to be edited, but from the sounds of it Horizon already modifies all of the vanilla guns and leveled lists anyways, so it wouldn't be any more of a nightmare than the mod already is.

There's also an existing mod that adds new ammunition types, but it adds about 1000 of them, which seems a bit excessive.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The High Resolution Texture pack is pretty interesting. Most of the building and landscape textures look barely improved, and that is what most screenshots tend to show. Meanwhile the textures used for clothing, armors, weapons, and detail props are generally a great improvement, with a few being outstanding.

Hopefully someone with a lot of free time will make an refined pack that keeps the best textures, optimizes any that need it, and drop the dead weight.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So I'm coming back to this bad/good/bad?/good.../hm game after a few months, do I still have to gently caress around with any of the .ini files to enable modding?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Funky Valentine posted:

So I'm coming back to this bad/good/bad?/good.../hm game after a few months, do I still have to gently caress around with any of the .ini files to enable modding?

You have to change a single line in one file, yes.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

horse mans posted:

Not being able to do everything in the beginning is just normal game design,but it's not like you couldn't waste a Bozar burst (and then some) on every single enemy in the endgame.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 9, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a bit weird to hear someone calling out Fallout 2's early game combat as good.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Fallout 2 also gave you companions who could actually do a lot of the heavy lifting in combat. And at the same time, I never really felt like I was short on ammo in Fallout 2 once you got past Klamath, assuming your skill was high enough to get good accuracy on most shots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On Horizon talk, is it not possible to just buy the ammo you need or craft/luck perk more ammo and would laser weapons not have enough ammo?

I do feel like in vanilla fallout4 after a certain point there wasn't any reason not to use your combat rifle and combat shotgun and regular or laser sniper rifle and pipes quickly became obsolete trash, so I can kind of get behind your godly guns being for special occasions and balancing the gameplay around the pipe guns.

Although in practice it probably mostly means full auto weapons are even worse and one shot one kill weapons are still great.

I think it might be a interesting mod to try when I try fallout 4 again.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 9, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Imo horizon sounds sort of refreshing since pipe weapons are so expansive but are a downgrade at level 1 in the base game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On Horizon talk, is it not possible to just buy the ammo you need or craft/luck perk more ammo and would laser weapons not have enough ammo?

No, not really. It takes the scacity thing really seriously, I wasn't joking when I said I killed 20 raiders and the most exciting chest in the place had 4 .45 bullets, a bandage and some antibiotics.

Outside of 20 energy cells on the dead minuteman with the crank musket I don't think I found a single cell in the world or on a merchant.

Also ammo is expensive and most merchants have tiny stocks (like 3-12 bullets) that take days to refill.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Wish there was a lightweight mod like JSawyer for Fallout 4, but haven't found one :smith:

In FNV it struck a pretty much perfect balance for what I want to play with.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

No, not really. It takes the scacity thing really seriously, I wasn't joking when I said I killed 20 raiders and the most exciting chest in the place had 4 .45 bullets, a bandage and some antibiotics.

Outside of 20 energy cells on the dead minuteman with the crank musket I don't think I found a single cell in the world or on a merchant.

Also ammo is expensive and most merchants have tiny stocks (like 3-12 bullets) that take days to refill.

Maybe Horizon combined with a ammo crafting mod if one exists would be just about right?

Those that played Horizon, do they like the scarcity or does it feel limiting in your options?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, I'd imagine that a stealthy melee character would have an easier time in Horizon?
considering how hard it is to find gun food in the Horizon base game, I'd imagine bows of some sort or other would have been adopted.
Plenty of wood and messed up looking birbs around.
Is crafting heavily affected by the mod as well?

A super mutant with a windlass made out of auto leaf springs and so on, launching lamp posts at you would be a little more dreadful than one with a pipe pistol.

edit, hmmm, i just remembered the dwemer from the elder scrolls, they had automatons with crossbows.

VVVV Yeah, Thats what I was thinking of.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 9, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

So, I'd imagine that a stealthy melee character would have an easier time in Horizon?
considering how hard it is to find gun food in the Horizon base game, I'd imagine bows of some sort or other would have been adopted.
Plenty of wood and messed up looking birbs around.
Is crafting heavily affected by the mod as well?

A super mutant with a windlass made out of auto leaf springs and so on, launching lamp posts at you would be a little more dreadful than one with a pipe pistol.

edit, hmmm, i just remembered the dwemer from the elder scrolls, they had automatons with crosbows.

Check out Crossbows of the Commonwealth.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
getting back to fallout 4 and was wondering if you still have to do the old sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, ect. anymore, or that just a relic of the early modding scene

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

turn off the TV posted:

Check out Crossbows of the Commonwealth.

There is also a mod that adds more traditional compound bows too. Modding is great sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

aniviron posted:

It's a bit weird to hear someone calling out Fallout 2's early game combat as good.

Every aspect of Fallout 2 is perfect.

Zore posted:

Cells are easily enough found; they're in lots of traps, and if you find synths/BoS fighting other factions they'll drop a whole bunch.