Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Remember when everyone lost their poo poo about Wind Waker being cel shaded? Has the Zelda fan community gotten over their hard-on for "realistic Zelda"?

As it is, I haven't played Wind Waker since like '03-'04 and it is the game I want to replay the most. I hope the HD version gets released on Switch.

The HD version is beautiful and has some great gameplay tweaks. That game aged beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
God what is this legend of CELda?

Yeah I think people are mostly over that.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Especially because the spaceworld 2000 footage looks like rear end now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

Especially because the spaceworld 2000 footage looks like rear end now.

Twilight Princess was proof that trying to go in the direction that a bunch of raving nerds on the internet insisted was a bad idea. Good game, fun as hell for some parts, but holy poo poo was it not a "great" game. I'm replaying Skyward Sword after replaying TP years after the fact and SS, despite the wonky controls and other issues is just a more fun game. It could've been an amazing WiiU launch title and system seller if Nintendo wasn't desperate to put out a "true" Wii Zelda game.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Twilight Princess was proof that trying to go in the direction that a bunch of raving nerds on the internet insisted was a bad idea. Good game, fun as hell for some parts, but holy poo poo was it not a "great" game. I'm replaying Skyward Sword after replaying TP years after the fact and SS, despite the wonky controls and other issues is just a more fun game. It could've been an amazing WiiU launch title and system seller if Nintendo wasn't desperate to put out a "true" Wii Zelda game.

Flip side. I had a worse time with Skyward Sword.

That said I never bothered to get through Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, they never really hooked me.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Mahoning posted:

Remember when everyone lost their poo poo about Wind Waker being cel shaded? Has the Zelda fan community gotten over their hard-on for "realistic Zelda"?

As it is, I haven't played Wind Waker since like '03-'04 and it is the game I want to replay the most. I hope the HD version gets released on Switch.

I think most reasonable people realized how loving good Wind Waker's art style is after a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even after WW's release the art style had a lot of criticism. It's part of the reason there was so much hype for TwiPri, because it was giving the 'realistic' Zelda people wanted/said they wanted. There's certainly a lot of a softening on WW's design in the years since but post-WW it still had a lot of criticism.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

ImpAtom posted:

Even after WW's release the art style had a lot of criticism. It's part of the reason there was so much hype for TwiPri, because it was giving the 'realistic' Zelda people wanted/said they wanted. There's certainly a lot of a softening on WW's design in the years since but post-WW it still had a lot of criticism.

Good thing nobody cares about that anymore

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
TP had the best Navi and I am willing to fight about it

I know what you're thinking about posting, guy, but Tatl is lame!!!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
King of Red Lions was cool as heck

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
King of Red Lions was a loving G, easily made Ganon look like a bitch, went out like a boss.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Looking at them now the realistic Zelda's look like poo poo. Even without an HD upgrade the artistic style of SS where rather then jagged pixels it looks like I'm looking at some French Impressionist art is a huge improvement over the classical polygons and edges of conventional graphics. It's a pretty powerful statement that while playing the game and then looking into the distance where the console can't render decent graphics rather then an ugly mess you get a beautiful visual display that you could actually enjoy.

WW, despite the complaints, has still aged insanely well compared to almost any other game of the era. Even without the HD remake you could show the original gamecube graphics and despite the lower resolution most people would still agree it looks clean and pretty, especially if you put it next to similar games of that generation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah Windwaker had a huge backlash, the whole 'Celda' thing was everywhere in those days.

Zelda games go through a weird cycle where the new game is released about the same time the previous becomes deified. Twilight Princess was considered garbage just as Windwaker was declared good. Majora's Mask now is remembered as one of the greatest ever and that happened just as Windwaker was released.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Breath of the Wild is going to 'suck horribly' until The Legend of Zelda: Panties as a Hat or whatever releases isn't it?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
http://gematsu.com/2017/02/legend-zelda-breath-wild-guard-trailer

New trailer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool new map someone made:

Possible geographical spoilers, expand thumbnail at own risk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Keiya posted:

Breath of the Wild is going to 'suck horribly' until The Legend of Zelda: Panties as a Hat or whatever releases isn't it?

Probably. Expect a lot of people being REALLY excited about Skyward Sword to show up about March 15.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Breath of the Wild's art style is pretty much perfect

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Why not play it on Wii U?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

jivjov posted:

Why not play it on Wii U?

Because I have never owned a Wii U, and I'm certainly not going to buy one now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

:sad:

but sure, I hope all good games are release for Switch as long as it doesn't take away from porting something that wasn't even on WiiU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shoehead posted:

King of Red Lions was cool as heck

Whenever I get in a rowboat or a canoe, I name it the King of Red Lions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Now's the best time to get one...the entire library is available, and if you wait too much longer, they're gonna get hard to find.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mahoning posted:

I don't claim to speak for the Zelda fan community but back in those days the two issues were conflated. Cel shading doesn't preclude a "realistic" art style but it was the cel shading that people latched on to when I think their real complaint was that the art style was cartoony. There would have been fans no matter what who wanted dark and grimy and gritty and billions of polygons worth of character model detail and bleeding edge facial animation so Nintendo wasn't going to please them but if WW had looked more like what we're seeing with BotW then I don't think there would have been nearly as big of a negative reaction.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
when you're expecting realistic link and you get some football head thing with some anime eyes you get kinda mad but then you play it and you realize its loving gorgeous and looks great

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it was different and not what the People wanted on release but playing it for 10 minutes you realized none of that criticism mattered because there wasn't anything as pretty as that game. Loved the bomb/smoke effects

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Unrelated, but Skyword Sword Link looks stupid. What were they thinking with those baggy pants?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Unrelated, but Skyword Sword Link looks stupid. What were they thinking with those baggy pants?

Gotta have room to carry your Switch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phimosissy posted:

Gotta have room to carry your Switch

Are you saying he has a big switch?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are you saying he has a big switch?

He calls it his Dominion Rod, actually

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hedrigall posted:

Cool new map someone made:

Possible geographical spoilers, expand thumbnail at own risk.

Spookers confirmed!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

when you're expecting realistic link and you get some football head thing with some anime eyes you get kinda mad but then you play it and you realize its loving gorgeous and looks great

But it's an FMV game like Dragon's Lair! (This is literally a thing people said.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FMV Zelda you say....?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
WW Link is one of my absolute favorite Links. They really used the cartoony design as an excuse to make him super expressive

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shoehead posted:

WW Link is one of my absolute favorite Links. They really used the cartoony design as an excuse to make him super expressive

Skyward Sword did a dang good job of making up for Twilight Princess's relative lack of expression with Groose and everything he says and does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScthZHMFaRU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flippinlikebirds posted:

They were thinking that it would be a great idea to re-use a bunch of stuff from Twilight Princess and just change it around from there to make a different art style.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

BotW's art design is perfect.

WW's is also perfect.

MM is close.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Theory content creators have broken containment and are engaging the creators with "Link was dead the entire time" questions.

https://twitter.com/ZackScott/status/829348905242353664

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Theory content creators have broken containment and are engaging the creators with "Link was dead the entire time" questions.

https://twitter.com/ZackScott/status/829348905242353664

ew, gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Augus posted:

ew, gross

Aonuma tries to sidestep the question pretty hard but Miyamoto has old fashioned manga/anime knowledge and goes "Yeah it ain't exactly a new concept." to the guy.