Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MiddleOne posted:

I killed those bandit dudes at my third try and that wasn't even when I gave up on the game. Encounters like those where you do barely any damage and yourself die in one hit are just not interesting. A game like Fallout New Vegas communicates when enemies in the open-world should be avoided but in Dogma it's just completely arbitrary. You'll kill some wolfs in one area, walk 10 minutes along the road and meet a slightly tinted differently wolf that takes barely any damage. Then you come back an hour later and they die in one hit.

It's bad.

There's only three kinds of wolves in the base game, man. Brown ones, fluffy white ones and fire ones. If you met white wolves then you didn't just walk ten minutes, you hiked well past the central hub of the game and up into the upper half of the map. Also elements and damage types really matter in Dragon's Dogma. That's why your pawns never shut up about how much goblins hate being set on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

There's only three kinds of wolves in the base game, man. Brown ones, fluffy white ones and fire ones. If you met white wolves then you didn't just walk ten minutes, you hiked well past the central hub of the game and up into the upper half of the map. Also elements and damage types really matter in Dragon's Dogma. That's why your pawns never shut up about how much goblins hate being set on fire.

Direwolves start showing up around Hero's Hill or whatever it's called. Pretty sure you can get there in 5-10 minutes if you head down the road at the usual sprint, you don't have to go much past that one fortress. I'm pretty sure you can fight them as soon as you can reach them though, at least the ones in that area. They're tough but not dramatically so, especially with a fire enchant. If you head past that you'll probably encounter stronger ones but there's superpowered bandits in your way first and a Chimera hanging out.

Path of Exile's xp penalty on death feels really lovely on the highest difficulty level. Dying once is easily 10-20 minutes of levelling gone and it can turn trying to do things in new/harder areas into a complete halt to level progress, or even a backslide. Since levelling is the only non-RNG way to get stronger I feel really incentivised to play in a boringly safe way past a certain point and it sucks. Doing things that might kill me is usually fun and generally more interesting than doing things I'm pretty sure won't kill me, but I better leave all these breaches alone or run away from bosses/uniques I'm not sure I can kill because gently caress having to grind up the difference.

It's especially dumb because maps, the main endgame thing, already have a built-in death penalty. You can only enter a map a given number of times, 6 at the most basic level (don't know if it's fewer for harder ones), and that includes leaving to sell stuff or access your stash or whatever. Die too often and your map is gone and wasted.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

For what it's worth in God of War, button prompts are usually the same button you would use otherwise in gameplay. So if it's a segment involving a lot of movement you're going to be hitting the jump button, if it's a section where you're killing a dude you're going to be hitting the light and heavy attack buttons and maybe some grapple. It's one thing I really like about that series' QTEs. The buttons aren't usually just random poo poo and it's kind of neat that when they want Kratos to punch a dude's skull in, you're going to do with with the same button you mash to stab monsters to death.

The absolute king of this is hitting L3+R3 to gouge someone's eyes out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

Direwolves start showing up around Hero's Hill or whatever it's called. Pretty sure you can get there in 5-10 minutes if you head down the road at the usual sprint, you don't have to go much past that one fortress. I'm pretty sure you can fight them as soon as you can reach them though, at least the ones in that area. They're tough but not dramatically so, especially with a fire enchant. If you head past that you'll probably encounter stronger ones but there's superpowered bandits in your way first and a Chimera hanging out.

Yeah but hero's hill is off the road. If you're just following the road you probably won't run into them until a decent ways past the fort. Usually by that cliff, that's where they really come out in force which is fun because then you can just throw them all off the cliff. The best way to play Dragon's Dogma involves throwing everything off a cliff when possible.

Gitro posted:

Path of Exile's xp penalty on death feels really lovely on the highest difficulty level. Dying once is easily 10-20 minutes of levelling gone and it can turn trying to do things in new/harder areas into a complete halt to level progress, or even a backslide. Since levelling is the only non-RNG way to get stronger I feel really incentivised to play in a boringly safe way past a certain point and it sucks. Doing things that might kill me is usually fun and generally more interesting than doing things I'm pretty sure won't kill me, but I better leave all these breaches alone or run away from bosses/uniques I'm not sure I can kill because gently caress having to grind up the difference.

It's especially dumb because maps, the main endgame thing, already have a built-in death penalty. You can only enter a map a given number of times, 6 at the most basic level (don't know if it's fewer for harder ones), and that includes leaving to sell stuff or access your stash or whatever. Die too often and your map is gone and wasted.

PoE is a fun game with a very interesting, core idea that gets bogged down by a bunch of lovely "hardcore" ideas. It's often straight up easier to just start an entirely new character than it is to farm up the orbs needed to respec if you mess up your build. Later difficulties don't get more challenging in any really interesting way, they just instantly wreck you if you don't have the mandatory amount of health and armor/shield for the most part because the game loves to include things that you straight up can not dodge or avoid. Like how the chapter 3(I think it was 3 at least, that's the one that used to be the last boss right?) was nothing but a massive damaging field of effect you could only avoid by standing in melee range of him and then he'd just do massively damaging melee attacks.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a single "proper" boss encounter and he's laid out with a single punch or can be instantly killed with an item found earlier in the game. Not perfect by any means, but far better in execution.

People who specialized in stealth and/or hacking also had a way to beat him, which was cool.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's hosed up, but I love how Kratos took care of Hermes in God of War 3. And the first person view on some of the executions made it seem like a slasher film for the gods.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

No they don't, you're bad at the game. Your choice of pawns, your access to elements, your understanding of enemy behaviors all have a way higher impact. If you need proof, head up the hill not far past the first fort, the one where the boulder drops down on you. The sword-and-shield bandits there are about level 40. Way higher than everything else you can encounter at that point. They kick the poo poo out of new players. Why are they there? To teach you that leveling isn't everything. Leveling matters mostly because leveling your jobs gives you access to new abilities. The actual stat impact of leveling is pretty minimal.

This is a pretty huge exaggeration. Defense is a threshold which means if you go fight those guys right away you can be flat-out incapable of doing noticeable damage to them, no matter how good you are. Dragon's dogma tricks your brain somewhat into thinking you're really good when you're leveled and kitted out well enough to destroy most of the stuff around gransys, because it's an action game so it's less obvious how much numbers are playing into what's going on. there's a wide level range where winning or losing does come down to your skill more than anything else, but you can absolutely end up in a situation where 20 attacks won't remove a sliver of an enemy's health bar and then you instantly die because you got hit once. That situation generally only comes up at the very start of the game and in bitterblack isle version 2 however.

I honestly think a big part of the fun of the game is getting to turn the tables and do that to the enemies once you're buff.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gitro posted:

This is only a problem if you don't play HC.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dragon's Dogma combat is extremely good if you do what I did: make your character six and a half feet tall and built like a brick shithouse so she can just calmly toss bad guys over her shoulder, march them to the nearest cliff, and throw them off one by one.

It's also good if you don't do that though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Dragon's Dogma combat is extremely good if you do what I did: make your character six and a half feet tall and built like a brick shithouse so she can just calmly toss bad guys over her shoulder, march them to the nearest cliff, and throw them off one by one.

It's also good if you don't do that though.

It's also quite good if you make your character a whippy little sprat who never gets tired and can capitalise on her giant grapple-happy hero-killer pawn's constant openings.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Somfin posted:

It's also quite good if you make your character a whippy little sprat who never gets tired and can capitalise on her giant grapple-happy hero-killer pawn's constant openings.

Sounds familiar to the adventures of Randy Jonhnso and Toss Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbKrlJgwI4A

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Moon Monster posted:

I could never get too far into God Eater since it always somehow managed to feel much grindier than Monster Hunter.

Oddly enough I've never had to grind, it's hard to find good frost weapons, but my spark and blaze weapons have been carrying me though. I've only ever had to repeat missions when friendship stories need them to be done. I think it helped that I unlocked a new map with rad battle music, it gave me renewed vigour. The game's entirely skill based, so that helps, you always got hit because you got greedy.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm enjoying FF15 but the combat can be a bit of a pain.

The targeting is fairly garbage, locking on to a particular target is fiddly as gently caress and when you get a target knocked down in the "vulnerable" state it seems to immediately autoswitch to another target rather than just keep you locked on the downed target so that you can kick lumps out of them.

Also, when you hide behind something to regain HP, your AI team-mates just stop fighting and stand beside you doing nothing like morons. Plus they stink at helping you get back from the "dead but shambling around" state. You can walk right up to them and they'll do nothing for like 10 seconds and you'll end up getting properly killed so you have to use a Phoenix Down.

Really glaringly bad stuff.

The AI for the allies is proper garbage, but what dragged it down for me is that they're becoming less and less like FF games. Look, I get I'm the old man who needs to change with the times, but I loved switching out different jobs/skills/equipment/magic. FFXV is fun, it just doesn't play like FF. You play a single character, Noctis, and other than regular attacks you've got magic hand-grenades and a teleport attack. That's it.

If it was sold to me as a game like Dragon's Dogma, I would say it's decent as game-play goes, with great graphics and sound. But it's like a generic action adventure with RPG elements, with a veneer of Final Fantasy staples (hey look! There's Cid and some chocobos!). I guess I'm missing the days of having my Dragoon/Dark Knight hybrid kicking rear end, swapping out annoying party characters I didn't like, and actually being excited by cool new gear.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Oddly enough I've never had to grind, it's hard to find good frost weapons, but my spark and blaze weapons have been carrying me though. I've only ever had to repeat missions when friendship stories need them to be done. I think it helped that I unlocked a new map with rad battle music, it gave me renewed vigour. The game's entirely skill based, so that helps, you always got hit because you got greedy.

I've not had to grind as in playing the same mission repeatedly, but the monsters all feel so samey that just progressing through the game feels like a grind.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With it semi-mentioned and with 4 (Or whatever the subtitle to the new one will be) coming, I think my biggest problem with the God of War games is just that I liked pretty much everyone more than Kratos. A bunch of the gods and ye olden characters you run across end up having more or a more cool at least character than he does and after enough of it I just got sick of him. Like he wasn't and isn't meant to be a 'good' character or anything, but going through 3 and there being a bunch of random points of "And now millions of people suffer and die horribly to this or that new thing Kratos let out by killing X or Y god" got real old, real fast for me.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

PoE is a fun game with a very interesting, core idea that gets bogged down by a bunch of lovely "hardcore" ideas. It's often straight up easier to just start an entirely new character than it is to farm up the orbs needed to respec if you mess up your build. Later difficulties don't get more challenging in any really interesting way, they just instantly wreck you if you don't have the mandatory amount of health and armor/shield for the most part because the game loves to include things that you straight up can not dodge or avoid. Like how the chapter 3(I think it was 3 at least, that's the one that used to be the last boss right?) was nothing but a massive damaging field of effect you could only avoid by standing in melee range of him and then he'd just do massively damaging melee attacks.

You get something like 25 respec points for completing all sidequests on all 3 difficulties, out of the 100ish points you'd probably have at that time. It's enough to make smallish changes, but if you've really screwed up you need to restart.

Sounds like the act 3 end boss, yeah. His opening phase is an arena wide blood rain you only avoid if you're right next to him. If you aren't carrying bleed immunity and can't facetank him you just die. I died to him right at the end of the fight because he hadn't spawned enough enemies for me to recharge my flasks enough so they ran out.

I probably died ~30 times in my last session because I got a bit sick of dealing with bosses' burst. They just do too much loving damage - I have slightly over-capped lightning resistance and a boss could chew through my ~3k total health in one barrage of these lightning balls she shot, and she'd go into a barrage every few seconds. Since I couldn't just tank her with life leech I spent most of the fight dodging before deciding gently caress it and just blasting her a bit, dying and repeating. Like am I supposed to double my health pool somehow? I don't get it.

It's a fun game but gently caress it's obnoxious sometimes. At least maps are fun.

e: Best change God of War 3 made was putting the QTE prompts in the corner of the screen matching the face button's position on the controller. If you had to hit triangle it'd pop up at the top of the screen, square on the left etc. Made it just a bit easier to parse it quickly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Recently played through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, now I'm working on Arkham Knight(to hell with Origins). The number one thing dragging it down for me is that for some bizarre reason, they switched up the control scheme from all of the previous games. Now you have to press up on the DPad for detective mode instead of LB, which no summons the Batmobile. I'm constantly accidentally trying to summon the drat Batmobile. The new gadget wheel is pretty clunky, too.

And one of my favorite parts of the previous games were the Riddler Riddles, but there's only 1 or 2 per area now, in addition to the 1 billion trophies. The Riddler sidequest isn't as fun to me either, because it's the Riddler building these elaborate Batmobile race courses which doesn't really fit in with the Riddler's MO at all. I guess that can be explained away by Batman always beating him, so he's changing it up.

On the bright side, the Batmobile parts aren't as bad as I remember, they're just really shoehorned in there as much as possible.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

10 Beers posted:

Recently played through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, now I'm working on Arkham Knight(to hell with Origins). The number one thing dragging it down for me is that for some bizarre reason, they switched up the control scheme from all of the previous games. Now you have to press up on the DPad for detective mode instead of LB, which no summons the Batmobile. I'm constantly accidentally trying to summon the drat Batmobile. The new gadget wheel is pretty clunky, too.

And one of my favorite parts of the previous games were the Riddler Riddles, but there's only 1 or 2 per area now, in addition to the 1 billion trophies. The Riddler sidequest isn't as fun to me either, because it's the Riddler building these elaborate Batmobile race courses which doesn't really fit in with the Riddler's MO at all. I guess that can be explained away by Batman always beating him, so he's changing it up.

On the bright side, the Batmobile parts aren't as bad as I remember, they're just really shoehorned in there as much as possible.

I really didn't dig the batmobile, but it's a constant presence in the game. Even if you swoop into a group of thugs, they're all like "it's the bat! I wonder where his sweet car is!?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I really didn't dig the batmobile, but it's a constant presence in the game. Even if you swoop into a group of thugs, they're all like "it's the bat! I wonder where his sweet car is!?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got Worlds of Final Fantasy, and while I'm enjoying the systems thhemselves (Just found and caught the black chocobo chick :3:) I'm disliking the Renn a lot, he is stupid enough to get in the way of the plot's presentation. Also the sidekick squirrel the-thing's tic is pretty annoying now I'm the-hearing it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

One thing dragging both Pillars of Eternity and Path of Exile down for me is that I've played like a half hour of each of them and keep getting them confused when they're brought up in threads. They're completely dissimilar games of course but they share enough terminology that it can genuinely be confusing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yeah, I don't really dig it either, but there are multiple quests where you have to use it. I never use it for travel, though. Half the fun of these games is grappling through the landscape.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

One thing dragging both Pillars of Eternity and Path of Exile down for me is that I've played like a half hour of each of them and keep getting them confused when they're brought up in threads. They're completely dissimilar games of course but they share enough terminology that it can genuinely be confusing.

I had the same problem when people were talking about TF2 but were referring to Titanfall 2 and not Team Fortress 2.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

10 Beers posted:

Yeah, I don't really dig it either, but there are multiple quests where you have to use it. I never use it for travel, though. Half the fun of these games is grappling through the landscape.

I actually kinda liked the parts where you fight waves of tanks (that you are reminded every five seconds are drones and not people :rolleyes:). They didn't take long, were decently challenging without being obnoxious, and were a nice break from the regular gameplay, plus it was decently fun in its own right.

But that loving boss fight with Red Hood's ultra-tank was just garbage. I lost interest in the game shortly after it.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Samurai Warriors 4's message and events system cannot keep up with the pace of battle. I'm currently trying to 100% every battle and the clogged message log is massively slowing every attempt making it a real chore. For one objective I actually had to wait a minute doing nothing until a long dialogue and messages telling me what I did several minutes ago finished playing before it finally triggered. It'd help if they had a separate message log for minor events like "you've defeated <enemy officer>" or had a combined message showing an event and reactionary dialogue simultaneously or something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hyrule Warriors had the same problem, it's really dumb why they buffer messages like that.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I actually kinda liked the parts where you fight waves of tanks (that you are reminded every five seconds are drones and not people :rolleyes:). They didn't take long, were decently challenging without being obnoxious, and were a nice break from the regular gameplay, plus it was decently fun in its own right.

But that loving boss fight with Red Hood's ultra-tank was just garbage. I lost interest in the game shortly after it.

Also batman is clearly murdering dozens of dudes by side swiping them against walls going 150mph then burning out on their corpses. At that point might as well kit him out with a full roster of guns as well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also batman is clearly murdering dozens of dudes by side swiping them against walls going 150mph then burning out on their corpses. At that point might as well kit him out with a full roster of guns as well.

Please tell me there's a 'Rubber bullets. Honest.' reference in Arkham Knight.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Please tell me there's a 'Rubber bullets. Honest.' reference in Arkham Knight.

There is a move where you knock someone up in the air and your car shoots them, so yes in a big way.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Olaf The Stout posted:

No, you see, hitting people with your car is safe because you also electrocute them at the same time

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Metal Gear 1 - the penultimate boss battle requires a precise amount of 16 explosives in order to succeed. The game relies on a ranking system (1-4 stars) in order to decide how much ammo / health you can hold, you get more stars as you save hostages. If you mess up in a boss battle towards the end of the game and hit a hostage or two your stars go down. If you end up at the penultimate boss fight without at least a rank 4 stars you will be unable to finish the game. Best hope you have a save you can go back to.

loving 1987 games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

10 Beers posted:

He has a pretty good line once you finish the first race that almost justifies it, that basically he's testing the Batmobile so that he can use that data to presumably best it. Of course in reality that concept goes nowhere at all and it's just a nice sounding excuse. At least there's actually only like four races and the rest are Batmobile puzzles instead. Also the actual Catwoman stuff is alright, if gimmicky.

I was actually more disappointed by how :effort: a lot of the trophies are. There are a ton that are just sitting around in some random, generic part of the map waiting to be picked up and it feels like pure padding. (Though I wasn't a fan of City's oversaturation of trophy puzzles either.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Feb 9, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The whole thing about Riddler is his ego. There's no logical sense to what he's doing outside of proving himself better than Batman. While the actual car mechanics are easy to hate on, he's a consistent character across the series, and that whiny fit when you start beating his races... :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Grinding money in owner mode of DOAX3 can eat a barrel of dicks, along with the owner exclusives swimsuits.

Accept my gift you whore. :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

The whole thing about Riddler is his ego. There's no logical sense to what he's doing outside of proving himself better than Batman. While the actual car mechanics are easy to hate on, he's a consistent character across the series, and that whiny fit when you start beating his races... :allears:

Acceptable titles to refer to the entity, from here on referred to as The Riddler (r) are "The Riddler", "Mr Nigma Sir", "Your Supreme Intelligence", "Edward the Great and Powerful"...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

He has a pretty good line once you finish the first race that almost justifies it, that basically he's testing the Batmobile so that he can use that data to presumably best it. Of course in reality that concept goes nowhere at all and it's just a nice sounding excuse. At least there's actually only like four races and the rest are Batmobile puzzles instead. Also the actual Catwoman stuff is alright, if gimmicky.

I was actually more disappointed by how :effort: a lot of the trophies are. There are a ton that are just sitting around in some random, generic part of the map waiting to be picked up and it feels like pure padding. (Though I wasn't a fan of City's oversaturation of trophy puzzles either.)

There's only 4 racetracks but there's also a bunch of "puzzles" where you have to hit a switch and then race across the city to grab some trophy that opened up in time, which is even worse, really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

Grinding money in owner mode of DOAX3 can eat a barrel of dicks, along with the owner exclusives swimsuits.

Accept my gift you whore. :argh:

Huh they still make those games, did not know that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I lost interest in the game shortly after it.
That part is terrible and I almost gave up on the game there as well, but it never really gets that bad again. Unless you want to 100% it, that is.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Part of me kind of wishes Pokemon Sun/Moon had level scaling. I found out you could fight some of the trial captains until after I beat the game and they were very one-sided. Also the trial captains get the default trainer battle theme.
And yes, I know about the battle tree makes everyone lv50 but I fought 3 people in a row with Volcarona and I think I'm done with that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I like the character of the Riddler. Just some of his related stuff in AK is a little dull.