Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thanks for all the input guys.

I've already got a solid chair (Herman Miller Embody), so trying to hack that apart to fit under the desk won't work. Putting it on the treadmill, whether directly or with a platform, also feels like you're asking for trouble. I expect there are people that do it without issue, but I know I would lean back one day not thinking about it and break my neck.

After pondering it most of the afternoon, I don't think you can do it all with one desk, one computer, and one set of monitors. The closest you could get would be to set up two desks back to back, with the monitors mounted directly in the middle of them. You'd have the treadmill under one desk and the chair under the other, and you'd have to swing the monitors around 180 degrees as you switched between the desks. It would also require about 70 square feet to accommodate, which isn't going to fly now, and probably not in my next residence either.

You get the idea.

I guess the only way to do this without buying two of some/anything is to move the treadmill back and forth. Blegh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Maybe with a narrower monitor setup than mine you could get away with putting the two next to each other, I wonder if one of the sitting desk adaptors that move backwards when they move up might be an answer, where you just sit with the seat right behind the treadmill.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

betamax hipster posted:

ASUS MG279Q is your best option. Look for refurbs from $400-450.
I just got one delivered. I wouldn't normally buy refurbs, but it's the cheapest a 27" 144hz IPS will ever get in Canada, and I read a lot of reviews that suggest it's a straightforward panel lottery with pretty decent odds because you might get the returned product of a mega OCD dweeb. I'm cautiously optimistic because while the box was beat to poo poo and had what appeared to be holes kicked into it, the panel itself was in good, clean condition, and there's not a single dead pixel to be found. I've discovered some mild to moderate BLB in 2 corners and that's my best guess as to why it might've got sent back. Oh, and the power cord was missing from the box, but fortunately not the miniDisplayport. I think fortune might have been in my favor

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I just got one delivered. I wouldn't normally buy refurbs, but it's the cheapest a 27" 144hz IPS will ever get in Canada, and I read a lot of reviews that suggest it's a straightforward panel lottery with pretty decent odds because you might get the returned product of a mega OCD dweeb. I'm cautiously optimistic because while the box was beat to poo poo and had what appeared to be holes kicked into it, the panel itself was in good, clean condition, and there's not a single dead pixel to be found. I've discovered some mild to moderate BLB in 2 corners and that's my best guess as to why it might've got sent back. Oh, and the power cord was missing from the box, but fortunately not the miniDisplayport. I think fortune might have been in my favor

Did you experiment with expanding the freesync range (if you're running an AMD card)? My monitor took to it with only a little cajoling, but I don't know if my results are typical.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I actually have a 1070, g-sync just isn't important enough to me to justify the +$300 premium for its models. I didn't have a 144hz monitor before, and I considered getting a Dell s2716dg when it went on its sale, but the MG279q fulfilled all the requirements I've been looking for for a while (27", 1440p, IPS).

I wasn't aware that the freesync range could be unlocked. Is it done by something as simple as cracked firmware? How high did you push past 90hz?

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 9, 2017

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Looking for some advice/considerations.

Current setup is a 970, w/ a Dell 2311H running at 1080p.

Generally the primary game I play right now is Overwatch, Hitman, and I'm about to go back and play XCOM2 again. I do watch a lot of TV shows/movies.

Looking for IPS, 1080 or 1440 60hz is fine, but interested in how much more 120/144hz requires. Doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. Basically looking for something to tide me over until the next graphic card cycle (or the one after that) comes around.

I don't need the fastest monitor since I'm a bit older and I'm probably not going to be competitively playing twitch games but I don't want anything that could cause possible ghosting/lag.

HDR (whatever one the PS4 supports) would be a nice bonus. I'm guessing this is a high premium feature that may not even be on current gaming monitors.

I may just end up holding off and upgrading my video card on the next cycle and then splurging then on a monitor to match the video card then, but looking to see what I can get ATM that's pretty decent but not the top end. Looking to not spend more than ~600ish? Maybe holding off would be the better option?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

Looking for some advice/considerations.

Current setup is a 970, w/ a Dell 2311H running at 1080p.

Generally the primary game I play right now is Overwatch, Hitman, and I'm about to go back and play XCOM2 again. I do watch a lot of TV shows/movies.

Looking for IPS, 1080 or 1440 60hz is fine, but interested in how much more 120/144hz requires. Doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. Basically looking for something to tide me over until the next graphic card cycle (or the one after that) comes around.

I don't need the fastest monitor since I'm a bit older and I'm probably not going to be competitively playing twitch games but I don't want anything that could cause possible ghosting/lag.

HDR (whatever one the PS4 supports) would be a nice bonus. I'm guessing this is a high premium feature that may not even be on current gaming monitors.

I may just end up holding off and upgrading my video card on the next cycle and then splurging then on a monitor to match the video card then, but looking to see what I can get ATM that's pretty decent but not the top end. Looking to not spend more than ~600ish? Maybe holding off would be the better option?

I'd either spend a bit more on the monitor now or wait. Your cheap option for IPS with high refresh rate is the Asus MG279Q which is around ~$550 but it has Freesync which is not supported by Nvidia cards, if you are going to get a high end gaming monitor and you have a Nvidia card you want a monitor with Gsync, for that your cheapest option is the AOC AG271QG at about ~$690 and your best option is the Acer XB271HU at ~$750. Gsync makes a big enough difference that a 970 can handle 1440p pretty well, especially on games like Overwatch which are not very graphically demanding in the first place, the high refresh rate also makes a big difference in fast paced FPS type games like Overwatch and CS:GO so you would definitely be getting your moneys worth if you play those sorts of games. I went from a Dell U2415(1200p/60Hz/IPS) to an Acer XB271HU(1440p/165Hz/IPS/Gsync) and even though I am using a GTX 970 I did not feel the need to upgrade to a 1070 like I was originally planning to because Gsync makes everything so much smoother, I'm just going to wait for the 1170 or whatever instead.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

I actually have a 1070, g-sync just isn't important enough to me to justify the +$300 premium for its models. I didn't have a 144hz monitor before, and I considered getting a Dell s2716dg when it went on its sale, but the MG279q fulfilled all the requirements I've been looking for for a while (27", 1440p, IPS).

I wasn't aware that the freesync range could be unlocked. Is it done by something as simple as cracked firmware? How high did you push past 90hz?

Even simpler: Custom Resolution Utility supports changing adaptive refresh ranges now. I pushed it to 57-144Hz, which enables low frequency compensation, so functionally it's full-range. It's a phenomenal experience for the cost!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look at places and websites with decent return policies in case I get a dud. I'm in Canada too and it sure would be nice to get a quality monitor for well under $800.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Does anyone have any opinions about the Fully Jarvis (https://www.fully.com/desks/desks-by-brand/jarvis-desks.html) and/or the Uplift 900? (http://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-height-adjustable-standing-desk/) They appear to be nearly identical, and are separated by only about $20.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How much does a second monitor without graphically intensive things affect performance? Per this thread's recommendations I'm leaning toward a 1440 display with my GTX 1060. I'd like to continue using my old 1050p display for browser/chat/music use while I'm full screen gaming, but I'm curious about the performance hit. Obviously the card is pushing some pixels to the second monitor, but it's pretty non intensive stuff.

I can test this by just plugging everything in (the second monitor probably wouldn't be the reason I dodge a 1440p monitor), but I'm curious now. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boxman posted:

How much does a second monitor without graphically intensive things affect performance? Per this thread's recommendations I'm leaning toward a 1440 display with my GTX 1060. I'd like to continue using my old 1050p display for browser/chat/music use while I'm full screen gaming, but I'm curious about the performance hit. Obviously the card is pushing some pixels to the second monitor, but it's pretty non intensive stuff.

I can test this by just plugging everything in (the second monitor probably wouldn't be the reason I dodge a 1440p monitor), but I'm curious now. :)

A second display pushing non-gaming content doesn't have any real impact on games being run on the primary monitor, the exception being movies with a Nvidia card and a Gsync monitor as the primary display, however that is due to a bug, not a performance limitation.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

betamax hipster posted:

Even simpler: Custom Resolution Utility supports changing adaptive refresh ranges now. I pushed it to 57-144Hz, which enables low frequency compensation, so functionally it's full-range. It's a phenomenal experience for the cost!
Through the AMD control panel? Or the windows one? Talk about a sidestep! That might actually cause me to consider an AMD card next time if it's fully reliable.

Sashimi posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look at places and websites with decent return policies in case I get a dud. I'm in Canada too and it sure would be nice to get a quality monitor for well under $800.
Here's the newegg page: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236665 Go for it! It sometiems periodically refills with stock and ships from Industry, CA. My only available ground shipping was actually terrible so I would've been really screwed with worse luck of the draw, haha. I'm very happy with this panel, I haven't found any weird overdrive or discoloration errors so far, it's merely that one spot of BLB that doesn't interfere with any visuals outside of a totally black screen. Kind of a best case scenario.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

After pondering it most of the afternoon, I don't think you can do it all with one desk, one computer, and one set of monitors. The closest you could get would be to set up two desks back to back, with the monitors mounted directly in the middle of them. You'd have the treadmill under one desk and the chair under the other, and you'd have to swing the monitors around 180 degrees as you switched between the desks. It would also require about 70 square feet to accommodate, which isn't going to fly now, and probably not in my next residence either.

I guess the only way to do this without buying two of some/anything is to move the treadmill back and forth. Blegh.

I think the easiest method would be a wide desk with wheels and slide it left and right. Swinging could also be an option, just swing the monitors 90° or less while sitting in a corner desk.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Through the AMD control panel? Or the windows one? Talk about a sidestep! That might actually cause me to consider an AMD card next time if it's fully reliable.

CRU is a third-party tool.

What I've read suggests basically every MG279Q is capable of the extended range, but it does lead to stuff like the monitor occasionally refusing to boot/booting in 90Hz mode. Fortunately, all that stuff resolves just by power-cycling the monitor, so it's only ever a minor annoyance. No visual artifacts or anything like that. Even with that, it's the best freesync 144Hz/1440p display on the market. While freesync is quite a bit cheaper, there's unfortunately no ultra-premium, no-concessions freesync display.

Hopefully we'll see some better 144Hz/2560x1440 (or higher!) freesync displays in the coming year, and also Vega lives up to the hype to drive those rates/pixels, and also I get a pony and free tacos.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Saukkis posted:

I think the easiest method would be a wide desk with wheels and slide it left and right. Swinging could also be an option, just swing the monitors 90° or less while sitting in a corner desk.

Hey now that's a great idea. I'll have to remember that. After looking at my office today there's no way I could fit a treadmill, but I'm looking to move within the year and hopefully I'll have more space then. Thanks for the suggestion!

e: I've got a $100 Dell gift certificate that's only good for 90 days. Anything that's a particularly good deal floating around in there? Monitor or otherwise?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 9, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I don't know how it makes a difference or does what it does, but I bought a displayport cable off of amazon (cable basics). The first one I got did not do 1440p @ 144hz, I was locked as 85hz as my highest option in game (Overwatch). They said it was a bad cable and sent me a new one for free and told me to keep the old one. The new one does do 1440p @ 144hz, but I was randomly getting hardlocks that would require me to power cycle my PC. I initially thought it was because of overclocking issues, but my temps weren't that high. The problem seemed to go away if I limited my FPS in game to 100. I'd normally expect a bad cable to simply stop displaying or display poorly, causing my entire computer to crash is crazy. Going back to the cable that came with my monitor seems to have fixed the problems completely.

Throwing both of those cables in the trash if I can't return them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A second display pushing non-gaming content doesn't have any real impact on games being run on the primary monitor, the exception being movies with a Nvidia card and a Gsync monitor as the primary display, however that is due to a bug, not a performance limitation.

Neato. Your posts have really solidified my resolve to go with a 1440p monitor. I really appreciate the help.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What's the bug? I have a X34 and XB271HU (both g sync monitors). I use both when working but switch between the two as the primary monitor depending on the game. I stream Netflix or stream NBA games on NBA pass on the second monitor (XB271) and play Civ 6 on my ultrawide sometimes.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 10, 2017

Approved
Sep 8, 2003

Fun Shoe

Good Dog posted:

I don't know how it makes a difference or does what it does, but I bought a displayport cable off of amazon (cable basics). The first one I got did not do 1440p @ 144hz, I was locked as 85hz as my highest option in game (Overwatch). They said it was a bad cable and sent me a new one for free and told me to keep the old one. The new one does do 1440p @ 144hz, but I was randomly getting hardlocks that would require me to power cycle my PC. I initially thought it was because of overclocking issues, but my temps weren't that high. The problem seemed to go away if I limited my FPS in game to 100. I'd normally expect a bad cable to simply stop displaying or display poorly, causing my entire computer to crash is crazy. Going back to the cable that came with my monitor seems to have fixed the problems completely.

Throwing both of those cables in the trash if I can't return them.

My understanding with displayport cables is buy Accell cables and there should be no problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

What's the bug? I have a X34 and XB271HU (both g sync monitors). I use both when working but switch between the two as the primary monitor depending on the game. I stream Netflix or stream NBA games on NBA pass on the second monitor (XB271) and play Civ 6 on my ultrawide sometimes.

Here's a video detailing the bug. I'm not sure it would affect you given that your monitor setup is way different and your secondary monitor is actually higher refresh than your primary one and that both monitors have Gsync, I'm also not sure if it's just a Windows 10 thing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Acer XB241h trip report update: I tried out Killing Floor 2 and DO4M and I'm very impressed. I can see what people mean when they describe G-Sync like getting a GPU upgrade. Both games have a lot of frantic action and with 144Hz and G-Sync on there was absolutely no stutter, lag or FPS drop. It really feels like a performance upgrade.

I had the refresh rate shown on the OSD and you can see it going crazy as it auto adjusts.

I'm really happy with it, thanks to the thread for answering my questions, particularly AVeryLargeRadish.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Acer XB241h trip report update: I tried out Killing Floor 2 and DO4M and I'm very impressed. I can see what people mean when they describe G-Sync like getting a GPU upgrade. Both games have a lot of frantic action and with 144Hz and G-Sync on there was absolutely no stutter, lag or FPS drop. It really feels like a performance upgrade.

I had the refresh rate shown on the OSD and you can see it going crazy as it auto adjusts.

I'm really happy with it, thanks to the thread for answering my questions, particularly AVeryLargeRadish.

No problem, I'm glad you're happy with the monitor. :)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the X34 worth the ticket price

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

How much is a big beautiful screen of smooth fuckyeah worth? How much is it worth to have a screen that's wide enough to be basically two screens together for desktop use? Is it worth much to you to have a wider view in games (I find it pretty cool, it rarely causes problems, and when it does it's often games like kotor 1 that would break 16:9 too).

Also, consider that it's likely to last longer than anything else in the graphics parts of your computer, so that money's getting divided up over more years.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
The only way I would give up my X34 is to move to a OLED HDR widescreen so its totally worth it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I have an ultrawide at work and home. I can't stop.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
OK I did it. You guys can get your commission from Asus now, because I'll have a big stupid thing with flashy GAMER GEAR LEDS all over it on my desk

I was wondering if there was some big new technological breakthrough around the corner that would obsolete the x34 or at least make it not such a good value, because its price seems to have held steady for a really long time now, but it doesn't really seem so. OLED monitors aren't really a thing yet apparently, and at the price point everyone still seems to recommend the x34

edit: The LG 38UC99 looks pretty good also though?

edit2: no gsync though apparently which matters?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here's a video detailing the bug. I'm not sure it would affect you given that your monitor setup is way different and your secondary monitor is actually higher refresh than your primary one and that both monitors have Gsync, I'm also not sure if it's just a Windows 10 thing.

Still interesting none the less

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

OK I did it. You guys can get your commission from Asus now, because I'll have a big stupid thing with flashy GAMER GEAR LEDS all over it on my desk

I was wondering if there was some big new technological breakthrough around the corner that would obsolete the x34 or at least make it not such a good value, because its price seems to have held steady for a really long time now, but it doesn't really seem so. OLED monitors aren't really a thing yet apparently, and at the price point everyone still seems to recommend the x34

edit: The LG 38UC99 looks pretty good also though?

edit2: no gsync though apparently which matters?

Gsync is a big deal, yes. It's a bit like having a significantly more powerful video card than you actually have due to the extra smoothness it adds to games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yes.

Good.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yes it is especially if you do any productivity work on your computer. It's amazing having two or three sublime text windows open. The 100hz is amazing too for gaming. If you only use your computer to game, I'd go for a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitor though, especially if you play FPSes. The 65hz is noticeable.

If you're patient enough, you can grab a refurb X34 for around ~$700. I got mine from a Woot sale for $730 tax free. They refunded another $80 due to minor back light bleed.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 11, 2017

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd either spend a bit more on the monitor now or wait. Your cheap option for IPS with high refresh rate is the Asus MG279Q which is around ~$550 but it has Freesync which is not supported by Nvidia cards, if you are going to get a high end gaming monitor and you have a Nvidia card you want a monitor with Gsync, for that your cheapest option is the AOC AG271QG at about ~$690 and your best option is the Acer XB271HU at ~$750. Gsync makes a big enough difference that a 970 can handle 1440p pretty well, especially on games like Overwatch which are not very graphically demanding in the first place, the high refresh rate also makes a big difference in fast paced FPS type games like Overwatch and CS:GO so you would definitely be getting your moneys worth if you play those sorts of games. I went from a Dell U2415(1200p/60Hz/IPS) to an Acer XB271HU(1440p/165Hz/IPS/Gsync) and even though I am using a GTX 970 I did not feel the need to upgrade to a 1070 like I was originally planning to because Gsync makes everything so much smoother, I'm just going to wait for the 1170 or whatever instead.

yeah i think i'll just wait until a monitor supporting HDR comes out and the next gen graphics cards before i drop a whole bunch of money.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Gsync is a big deal, yes. It's a bit like having a significantly more powerful video card than you actually have due to the extra smoothness it adds to games.

Seconding this after getting my first G-Sync monitor this week. The difference is astounding.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Trip report on ultrawide.

So I finally replaced my 10+ year old samsung 21" 1680x1050 monitor. It served me well but after upgrading the rest of my pc I decided I at least wanted to bring my monitor up to hd, preferably with something that didn't have the quirks of a 10 year old monitor like huge ghosting, loud while on standby and a few scratches on the screen.

My budget was around £150, but I couldn't really find anything that wasn't just plain Jane 22" 1080p. I did find a 23" with free sync but after looking at the specs it's free sync range was a bit iffy and didn't seem worth the hassle of selling my 970 and moving to ati.

I did however stumble upon a 25" 75hz ultrawide ips! An LG 25um58p. It had great reviews so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what ultrawide was like.

Aside from it feeling reeeaally small for the first half hour, as it's not as tall as my old monitor, it been amazing! I've only played gtav and xcom2 so far but I'm really enjoying the extra width. It's seriously amazing and once I've been playing for a few minutes I forget the shortness of the screen and become immersed in gorgeous panoramic views.

The 75hz really comes into play a lot more than I expected also. I cant say i notice the extra smoothness of 75hz over 50hz but the drop from 60>45fps is much harsher on game play than the drop from 75>60 fps. So as a result I've gotten some really fluid game play, very impressive.

I do wish I could have gotten the 29" model, as the extra physical size would have been nice. However then I'd be looking at £250+ which would have put me in 2nd hand g-sync territory. But at £150 for baby's first ultrawide I'm very impressed. Also at 29" ultrawide o think you're getting close to needing a curved screen?

I was expecting the extra pixels to make a larger impact on performance than it seems to. I've gone from 1764000 pixels rendered to 2764800, a rather large jump but the 970 seems to handle it well.

Regarding colour/backlight/ips, it's got some nasty backlight bleed in the bottom right, but I can live with it, it's only noticeable on very dark solid backgrounds, in game I couldn't spot it even when I tried.

I had also not changed gtas brightness/gamma settings from when I had my old monitor. On my last screen I had them slid right to the bottom otherwise half of the gradient bar was pure white. It must have been a god aweful monitor for colours and stuff. But anyway I was enjoying my gtav until it got to night time and everything looked like poo poo. Everything was washed out, pale greys rather than dark and just generally a mess.

Then I remembered to go change the game settings and holy poo poo! My pale grey city was transformed into a dark moody metropolis with flashes of intense colour everywhere and felt like I was playing a movie!

So all in all, I'm converted :) only a few hours and I honestly don't think I can go back to regular sized screens.

I'm installing skyrim now, I don't even want to play skyrim! I just want to see how amazing it looks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got the LG 29um67 and it's a wonderful monitor. Ultrawide is really a game changer in gaming, glad to see yet another person discovering the magic.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The X34 is like flying first class: Sure, it's expensive. Sure, there are other options that are cheaper that'll get the job done. But, man, once you experience it, it's really hard to go back to anything else.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
Not too long ago I built a new computer with a GTX 1070 and it's made me realize my old Samsung 1680x1050 display is way overdue for a replacement. I use it primarily for gaming but no competitive FPS's. Mostly console ports and Civilization. I don't do any photography or productivity work on this pc so I'm not overly worried about perfect colors and such. I greatly prefer 16:10 but that seems to be dead.

I'm not too concerned about price but I don't want to end up with something that immediately has me wanting to replace the 1070 or go SLI. I've seen that the XB271HU seems to be the go-to recommendation but I'm not sure if I want to get a 1440p 144hz display when my online benchmarks show my card averaging 70ish FPS at that resolution in most newer games. Any suggestions?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The XB271HU is, indeed, a fantastic monitor, but probably overkill for you if you're just playing ports and Civ VI, neither of which are likely to substantially benefit from either super-high HZ or GSync. At least not to the extent that would justify an $800 monitor. You say that you're not worried about perfect colors, but you might as well take this opportunity to join the modern age of IPS monitors and enjoy colors that don't suck.

An easy recommendation if you're happy at the 24" size would be the Dell U2415 which has the advantages of being 1920x1200, IPS, high quality, and reasonably priced. Its downsides are being 60Hz without GSync, but again, GSync isn't going to help your use-case too much, and while high-Hz monitors are, indeed, glorious, they're much more expensive.

If you did decide you just had to have a high-Hz monitor, the next price-step up would be the XB241H, which is a 24" 1920x1080 144Hz TN monitor for about $400. Upsides are 144Hz and GSync. Downside is TN, meaning notably worse colors than IPS.

If you wanted high-Hz and IPS, you have to step all the way up to 27", at which point the XB271HU (or the older XB270HU if you want to take a chance with backlight bleed and general QA issues) at $800 becomes the point of entry.

Really, someone needs to drop a 24" 120-144Hz GSync IPS monitor at <$500, but so far no one has bothered to do so AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have a 1070 with the xb271whatevertheIPSgsyncversionis. It's perfect since "simple" games like that usually run well over 100hz and looks amazing, and the gsync keeps things looking great when it's being stressed.